Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/25/2015 9:29 pm  #1

Numbers

Week of October 25, 2015
This Week’s Reading Assignment

This is the discussion thread for the book of Numbers.

S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.
Don't forget to check the introduction on Mondays, links on Wednesday and the devotional on Friday at Good Morning Girls.

Monday
Good Morning Girls: Introduction to the book of Numbers
Reading: Numbers 1
Chapter Insights: Numbers 1:47
No matter how much work was needed to be done, the Levites were to be dedicated to ministering to God and ministering to the spiritual needs of the congregation. Also, even though there were battles to be fought, the Levites were to spend their time in spiritual pursuits.

Optional Discussion Question:
What insight can this give us about the importance of spiritual work and temporal work? How do we need to balance the need to pursue spiritual things and our temporal work?

Verse of the Day: Numbers 1:1-3
"Take a census of all the congregation of the people of Israel, by clans, by fathers' houses, according to the number of names, every male, head by head. From twenty years old and upward, all in Israel who are able to go to war, you and Aaron shall list them, company by company.

Optional GMG Discussion Question:
The Levites were given a specific calling to care for the tabernacle. God gives each of us a specific calling as well. What has He called you to do for Him?

Tuesday
Reading: Numbers 2
Chapter Insights:
Reminders about birth order from Genesis 49.

1. Reuben (Leah)- He slept with his dad’s concubine and so lost the place of firstborn, Gen 35:22
2. Simeon (Leah) - Because of his cruel wrath he was passed over as well, Gen 34 – they will be scattered in Israel Gen 49:11
3. Levi (Leah) - Because of their cruel wrath they were passed over as well, Gen 34 – they will be scattered in Israel Gen 49:11
4. Judah (Leah) - Was chosen to be treated as first born and to lead his brothers, Gen 49:12-14

The rest of the birth order is as follows:

Dan (Bilhah/Rachel’s maid)
Naphtali (Bilhah/Rachel’s maid)
Gad (Zilpah/Leah’s maid)
Asher (Zilpah/Leah’s maid)
Issachar (Leah)
Zebulun (Leah)
Joseph (Rachel)
Benjamin (Rachel)

How do we see this playing out in the order of the camps? Watch to see how this plays out throughout Numbers and Deuteronomy.

Verse of the Day: Numbers 2:2
"The people of Israel shall camp each by his own standard, with the banners of their fathers' houses. They shall camp facing the tent of meeting on every side.

The children of Israel obeyed what the Lord said, they followed His direction, even with where to sleep! What direction has God given you that may not seem important or make sense right now but you must follow?

Wednesday
Reading: Numbers 3

Numbers 3:41
What is this representative of? How does this relate to and foreshadow Christ?

Numbers 3:51
Does this remind you of anything about Christ role in saving us? Search for New Testament verses that talk about how Christ “redeemed” and “paid ransom.”

Verse of the Day: Numbers 3:13
for all the firstborn are mine. On the day that I struck down all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, I consecrated for my own all the firstborn in Israel, both of man and of beast. They shall be mine: I am the LORD."

God gave specific instructions throughout His Word that must be obeyed. If we are not obedient there will be consequences. How have you known this to be true in your life?

Good Morning Girls: Links and thoughts to go deeper

Thursday
Reading: Numbers 4
Chapter Insights:
Numbers 4:15
Sin cannot come in contact with God’s holiness, it burns it up. This is an attribute of God. It does not necessarily take active will, it is just an automatic action in the presence of holiness.

Numbers 4:49
The Levites were dedicated to taking care of God’s house and serving God and leading the people in worship.

How does 4:15 make us rethink our attitude towards sin and the importance of living holy lives before God? How is this different from how we come before God given Christ’s sacrifice even when we have fallen short of holiness?

As born again believers, 1 Peter says that we are a royal priesthood. Does Numbers 4:49 give us any insight into what God wants from us?

Verse of the Day: Numbers 4:20
but they shall not go in to look on the holy things even for a moment, lest they die."

Sometimes the tasks God calls us to are a burden. They can be difficult to bear. How have you been obedient to God with the task seemed like too much of a burden to carry?

Friday
Reading: Numbers 5
Verse of the Day: Numbers 5:7
he shall confess his sin that he has committed.And he shall make full restitution for his wrong, adding a fifth to it and giving it to him to whom he did the wrong.

Sin is always found out, for we cannot hide anything from God. We must confess our sins to the Lord in order to keep our relationship with Him growing. What is hindering you from drawing near to Him today?

Good Morning Girls: Devotional

Last edited by TBG (10/25/2015 10:14 pm)

10/25/2015 10:21 pm  #2

Re: Numbers

Just to make it easier to see the notes on the first 5 chapters in Numbers, I am placing them here as well. This is a repeat from above.

First - Courtney has an excellent overview and lesson on this at Good Morning Girls.

Finding God in Numbers

Numbers is concerned not with an historical narrative of the wilderness experience, but with the faithfulness of God. In the face of the failures of the people, and even the leaders, we still see that God was faithful. And, no matter what, God was faithfully going to fulfill His ultimate purpose in honoring His covenant.

This reminds us of our own unfaithfulness in comparison to God’s faithfulness to always forgive us. We will also see Christ, or the foreshadow of Christ as we read Numbers.

Numbers 1
Numbers 1:47
No matter how much work was needed to be done, the Levites were to be dedicated to ministering to God and ministering to the spiritual needs of the congregation. Also, even though there were battles to be fought, the Levites were to spend their time in spiritual pursuits.

What insight can this give us about the importance of spiritual work and temporal work? How do we need to balance the need to pursue spiritual things and our temporal work?

Numbers 2
Reminders about birth order from Genesis 49.

Reuben (Leah)- He slept with his dad’s concubine and so lost the place of firstborn, Gen 35:22
Simeon (Leah) - Because of his cruel wrath he was passed over as well, Gen 34 – they will be scattered in Israel Gen 49:11
Levi (Leah) - Because of their cruel wrath they were passed over as well, Gen 34 – they will be scattered in Israel Gen 49:11
Judah (Leah) - Was chosen to be treated as first born and to lead his brothers, Gen 49:12-14

How do we see this playing out in the order of the camps? Watch to see how this plays out throughout Numbers and Deuteronomy.

The rest of the birth order is as follows:

Dan (Bilhah/Rachel’s maid)
Naphtali (Bilhah/Rachel’s maid)
Gad (Zilpah/Leah’s maid)
Asher (Zilpah/Leah’s maid)
Issachar (Leah)
Zebulun (Leah)
Joseph (Rachel)
Benjamin (Rachel)

Numbers 3
Numbers 3:41

What is this representative of? How does this relate to and foreshadow Christ?

Numbers 3:51
Does this remind you of anything about Christ role in saving us? Search for New Testament verses that talk about how Christ “redeemed” and “paid ransom.”

Numbers 4
Numbers 4:15

Sin cannot come in contact with God’s holiness, it burns it up. This is an attribute of God. It does not necessarily take active will, it is just an automatic action in the presence of holiness.

How does this make us rethink our attitude towards sin and the importance of living holy lives before God? How is this different from how we come before God given Christ’s sacrifice even when we have fallen short of holiness?

Numbers 4:49
The Levites were dedicated to taking care of God’s house and serving God and leading the people in worship.

As born again believers, 1 Peter says that we are a royal priesthood. Does Numbers 4:49 give us any insight into what God wants from us?

10/26/2015 8:48 pm  #3

It is interesting how God wanted a physical tabernacle for his presence to dwel. I wonder why.  Is it because the people needed the reminder of His presence? Or is it just because they needed a spiritual pure place for the sacrifices? But if the last was the reason why would he hover over these y seat in the holy of holies? No there had to be something significant in His presence being there.

I am sure some of the Levites may have wanted to fight, to stand up for their families. And some of the fighting men may have just wanted to spend time ministering to God. But they each had their own role, calling, and job.

I think it varies what God calls us to and we need to have balanced in our lives. Sometimes we may want to spend all our energy fighting wrongs in this world, or focusing on valuable and needed programs. But sometime God may be calling us to spend more time ministering to spiritual things, and ministering to Him. He desires our love and worship. We need to prioritize not just spiritual things for our own growth, but ministering to God to show Him love and worship.

Other times we may want to shrink from fighting and physically, actually doing works and instead devote our time to spiritual pursuits. This is an area of balance as well because we need to actively be working to be God's instruments in this world.

Remember, James 1:27 says that pure and true is to look after widows and orphans, and to stay spiritually pure. So there needs to be balance.

Sometimes God calls someone to one of these or the other, or many times there are seasons of our life when He calls us to focus on one or the other. We need to repect and embrace where God has us and to seek out His calling for us during various times in our lives.

10/27/2015 5:25 am  #4

Well, it is certainly a little bit harder to find things to write in my journal for this book. I have read Numbers 2 or 3 times before and I do enjoy it but it is hard to not skim over some of it.

Numbers 1: what a very large number of people! Our god is so great, so powerful.

Numbers 2: Organization is obviously pretty important to God. I find that when things are organized things go better- could it be connected to God's desires for our lives? Is it the same with everyone- I wonder if that is actually a God thing? Some people are so disorganized and it looks to me like it robs them of peace- but maybe that is just what happens in my own life?

10/27/2015 7:08 pm  #5

Yes, after the first 10 Chapters or so we will get into more narrative. I think the discussion questions help.

In Numbers 2 I was looking at how all the camps had to face the tabernacle. And it brings me back to what I posted for Numbers 1 about how central the Tabernacle was. I think it shows how central the presence of God was to Israel's future plans and God wanted them to always be aware of and focus on His presence and His laws and just remember that ultimately it is all about God.

I think that can play out for us as well. It says in the New Testament to walk in the spirit and to set our minds on things above. I see the parallel that we need to be always focused on God, on His presence, on His will, and remember that ultimately everything is about Him and not us.

But it is also interesting how there is a physical reminder. We now have the Holy Spirit inside of us as a reminder. But maybe it is a good thing sometimes to have a physical reminder when we let our days get to hectic and our mind to cluttered to hear the Spirit. A physical reminder that will help us remember that it is all about God.

I had Col 3 posted above my desk and would memorize it so that I could see it when I allowed myself to become upset I would remember to set my mind on things above and that it was ultimately about eternity and so act accordingly.

11/01/2015 9:34 pm  #6

Week of November 2, 2015
This Week’s Reading Assignment

S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.
Don't forget to check the introduction on Mondays, links on Wednesday and the devotional on Friday at Good Morning Girls.

Monday
Reading: Numbers 6
Verse of the Day: Numbers 6:24-25
The Lord desires to bless His people. What blessings have clearly been given to you from God?

Tuesday
Reading: Numbers 7
Verse of the Day: Numbers 7:89
God asks every child of His to keep Him first, to obey Him above all and to give Him the honor and glory due to Him. How does this truth help you in your personal Christian walk?

Wednesday
Reading: Numbers 8
Verse of the Day: Numbers 8:5-6
All that belongs to God must be set apart and cleansed. Jesus' blood cleanses us, but we must ensure that we remain set apart throughout our daily lives. What steps do you take to ensure that you remain set apart from the world?

Thursday
Reading: Numbers 9
Verse of the Day: Numbers 9:23
The people of Israel faithfully followed God's guidance. How are you following God's guidance in your life right now?

Friday
Reading: Numbers 10
Verse of the Day: Numbers 10:35
Familiar places and things often call to us when God desires us to follow Him to the unknown. Where has God asked you to follow Him that was unknown to you at the time

Last edited by TBG (11/01/2015 9:35 pm)

11/02/2015 9:51 am  #7

Numbers 6
Scripture
6:2 he vow of a Nazirite, to separate himself to the LORD, (consecrating yourself totally to God, TM)
6:14 and he shall bring his gift to the LORD, one male lamb a year old without blemish for a burnt offering, and one ewe lamb a year old without blemish as a sin offering, and one ram without blemish as a peace offering,

Observation
Consecrate – to set apart or dedicate to the service of a deity
Separate – the word in Hebrew means  to dedicate oneself, devote oneself,  to keep sacredly separate

The person voluntarily decided to separate themselves from ordinary things in their lives for a period of time to completely devote themselves to the service of God.

Once this period was over, they offered a burnt, sin, and peace offering.

Burnt Offering: to make atonement (reparation for a wrong or injury)
This was a voluntary act of worship; atonement for unintentional sin in general; expression of devotion, commitment and complete surrender to God

Sin Offering: Mandatory atonement for specific unintentional sin; confession of sin; forgiveness of sin; cleansing from defilement

Peace Offering: reconciliation and fellowship,
The peace offering was an offering of fellowship and relationship. It was a voluntary act of worship, thanksgiving, and fellowship (it included a communal meal); included vow offerings, thanksgiving offerings and freewill offerings

Application
As New Testament believers, indwelled by the Holy Spirit, we are to be separated apart from this world for God. We are to be completely devoted to the service of God.

The Nazarite could not defile themselves by exposing themselves to certain things. Similarly, we must not pollute ourselves with things of the world. We are dedicated to God. We have made a vow to serve Him; we must not go back on that it defile ourselves by turning back to our former sins or to the love of the world.

But the beautiful part is that I imaging that once the Nazarite offered the burnt offering, sin offering, and peach offering, that they felt such a sense of cleansing, purity and freedom and the sweetness of fellowship with God.

Jesus paid the sacrifice, once for all, that permanently forgives our sin and gives us the most intimate fellowship with God; He lives in us.

When I think about this it gives me such a feeling of comfort, peace, and joy. I feel clean and right before God, like I can come to him with confidence because I know He loves and accepts me.  Hebrews 4:15-16

11/02/2015 10:26 am  #8

Numbers 6 Part 2

Scripture 6:24-26
The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up His countenance upon you, and give you peace.

Observation
God indicates that He wants to bless the people.
God used the priest to bless the people

Face shine upon thee - to illuminate or be lighted up - see His glory, have His insight enlighten us to light our path

Countenance - face, presence – exalt His presence among us

Application
God wants to bless us. Wow! Why me? I am not deserving of God’s great love that He desires to bless me.

We are God’s priest now; we should be a blessing to those around us. We should allow God to use us to bless others. And, I don’t mean bless only in the sense of “help” others or do good things for others. But, look at that passage: bless, meaning to make known God’s presence, truth, and beauty, and to be His light to the world.

11/03/2015 5:53 am  #9

esuzannah wrote:

Numbers 5

v.2
Separating ourselves...just like sickness can be contagious so can ungodly ways. Not to say we cannot have friends that are not following The Lord but we should be careful in that out closest friends, the people we spends our time with, confide in are walking with The Lord.

v.5-10
We must be at peace with others in order to be at peace with God

Numbers 6

In my study bible it says that the word peace in v. 26 translates "total well being" I love that- God wants us to be totally well in all aspects of our life. He cares about everything.

11/03/2015 9:08 am  #10

esuzannah wrote:

v.5-10
We must be at peace with others in order to be at peace with God

Numbers 6

In my study bible it says that the word peace in v. 26 translates "total well being" I love that- God wants us to be totally well in all aspects of our life. He cares about everything.

I like that insight. And it seems the peace was associated with fellowship and forgiveness, both peace with God and peace with others. When we are in fellowship and free of sin we have total well being. How reassuring.

Board footera