Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/05/2016 12:45 pm  #1

Mark

Week of March 7, 2016
This Week’s Reading Assignment

The discussion thread is under Bible Study » Mark.

S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.
Don't forget to check the introduction on Mondays and the devotional on Friday at Good Morning Girls.

GMG shares how we see Jesus in Mark as (1) the Son of God, (2)  a Servant, (3) a Miracle Worker, (4) Spreading the Gospel. In each chapter, look to see if you can identify how Jesus is fulfilling these things.

To help you get started, let's define Gospel. According to Strongs: good tidings; the glad tidings of the kingdom of God soon to be set up; the proclamation of the grace of God manifest and pledged in Christ;  the glad tidings of salvation through Christ

Monday
Reading: Mark 1
Verse of the Day: Mark 1:17
Optional GMG Discussion Question: When Jesus called His first disciples, the Bible says they immediately dropped everything to follow Him. Have you ever felt God leading you in a new direction and how did you respond?
Optional Discussion: Identify ways that you can see Jesus as (1) the Son of God, (2)  a Servant, (3) a Miracle Worker, (4) Spreading the Gospel.

Tuesday
Reading: Mark 2
Verse of the Day: Mark 2:17
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Today we are reminded that Jesus ministered to those that others deemed unworthy. Is there someone in your life who seems unworthy but who needs both the gospel and your love?
Optional Discussion: Identify ways that you can see Jesus as (1) the Son of God, (2)  a Servant, (3) a Miracle Worker, (4) Spreading the Gospel.

Wednesday
Reading: Mark 3
Verse of the Day: Mark 3:35
Optional GMG Discussion Question: We are reminded as believers that we are all family. How can this truth help fill a void in your life? How have you already experienced this?

Thursday
Reading: Mark 4
Verse of the Day: Mark 4:40-41
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Jesus has all authority over nature. Even the wind and waves obey Him. How does knowing the power of Jesus, give you peace in the midst of your life storms?

Friday
Reading: Mark 5
Verse of the Day: Mark 5:36
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Jesus reminds us that faith in Him can heal us spiritually and even physically. Name a time when faith in Jesus has helped you overcome a struggle.

Last edited by TBG (3/06/2016 9:24 pm)

3/06/2016 10:04 pm  #2

Re: Mark

Mark 1

1:4 John appeared, baptizing in the wilderness and proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.

So, I wanted to better understand this baptism. John MacArthur said that this was similar to what Gentile converts did to symbolize their embracing of true faith.

So, given this understanding of what baptism meant, it appears that this was a sign of true repentance, of coming back to faithfulness to God and back to faithfulness to the covenant that God gave Israel to prepare to receive the Messiah He promised.

1:7 And he preached, saying, "After me comes he who is mightier than I, the strap of whose sandals I am not worthy to stoop down and untie.

John deflects any praise to point to God. He is not seeking to elevate himself or bring himself glory, or to rely on him as their hope, but to point people to look to God.

This is a good measure rod to measure our current pastors and leaders by. Do they look to get glory and praise and be considered special or are they a humble servant like Christ and John?

1:11 And a voice came from heaven, "You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased."
I love this affirmation. Yes, we should not do things to bring ourselves glory, but we do desire and flourish on affirmation. How sweet that God would publically affirm and show His love and approval for His Son. Very sweet and touching moment.

1:12-13 The Spirit immediately drove him out into the wilderness. And he was in the wilderness forty days, being tempted by Satan. And he was with the wild animals, and the angels were ministering to him.
The Spirit put Him into this situation, but the angles were there to strengthen Him. Even when we are lead into difficult places, God will be there to strengthen and minister to us.

1:17 And Jesus said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you become fishers of men."
The purpose of Jesus calling His disciples was to make them seek and save the lost. That was the goal of their ministry.

1:37 and they found him and said to him, "Everyone is looking for you." And he said to them, "Let us go on to the next towns, that I may preach there also, for that is why I came out."
It seems the miracles were to establish His authority and to glorify God, but His primary purpose was to share the gospel. So His primary focus was not on earthly things, but on the spiritual. But this does not mean that He was not compassionate to those with earthly suffering in verse 41 we see that He was “moved with pity.” So He had compassion, but He knew the most important things were salvation.

I love this. In the gospel record there does not appear to be any rebuke for this man. So, it does not seem that he was acting from bad motives. It is almost like he was just so excited and zealous that instead of obeying God, he just ran ahead and acted according to his own desire.

We sometimes can be “zealous” and want to run ahead of God’s timing to do things without taking the lead from God.

Optional Discussion Question
When Jesus called His first disciples, the Bible says they immediately dropped everything to follow Him. Have you ever felt God leading you in a new direction and how did you respond?
I think we have to be careful about this. It is not like when Jesus was here. We must be careful that God really is leading us in a certain direction. Of course, the first thing we have to do is make sure that whatever it is, it is consistent with the Word of God. But otherwise, if I feel I am being led in a direction, I just slowly and gently start testing out the waters and start moving in that direction. If the doors keep opening, I see that it continues to be consistent with the Word of God, and that I keep feeling peace and God’s direction, then I just keep moving in this direction.

3/08/2016 6:44 am  #3

Mark 2

Scripture
2:18 Now John's disciples and the Pharisees were fasting. And people came and said to him, "Why do John's disciples and the disciples of the Pharisees fast, but your disciples do not fast?"

2:24 And the Pharisees were saying to him, "Look, why are they doing what is not lawful on the Sabbath?"

Observation
They felt Jesus was not as holy and religious as John and the Pharisees. They had a hard time accepting Jesus because He was not what they were expecting and they did not understand His purposes.

In verse 20-22 we see Jesus telling them that a new work is being done. And we, as readers see the first glimpse of the new covenant and new way God was going to work in man and relate to man. This new work won’t fit the old paradigm.

Application
Do we have hard time accepting Christ in our lives because discipleship is not offering us what we are expecting or we do not understand what God is trying to do?

Even as believers we can be pushing against or not submitting to God’s leading, direction and will because of these same reasons; it is not taking us where we want to go and we cannot understand where God is going.

That has always been the struggle for me, being about God’s priorities and plans and not my own. I think I need to spend more time thinking about God and what He wants and less time always obsessed with my own ideas, plans, desire and goals.

Prayer
The words from this worship song come to my mind: Jesus, my passion in life is to know You. May all other goals bow down to this journey of loving You more. Hear my hearts cry and my prayer for this life. Above all else, give me Yourself.

3/09/2016 10:13 am  #4

Mark 3

3:2 And they watched Jesus, to see whether he would heal him on the Sabbath, so that they might accuse him.
3:6 The Pharisees went out and immediately held counsel with the Herodians against him, how to destroy him.

Observations
The leaders have very quickly developed a hard heart towards Jesus. Jesus did not do things as they did them; He was critical of their teachings. So they were looking for ways to criticize Him. It is like they are trying to win an argument instead of understand this great and different thing that is happening. They are trying to one up Jesus instead of focusing on the kingdom of God. They are focused on themselves and their goals and self instead of how to serve God and fulfill His purpose and how to do His work.

They felt Jesus was destroying what they have built and taking their power and authority, so they sought to destroy Him.

Application
We can also fall into the trap of having a self focus instead of a kingdom focus. This is why I can get impatient or short with people if they are interrupting me or interfering with what I am trying to work on because I get focused on the task and goals that are important to me. This is self focus, focusing on my goals and not on God’s goals. In North America, we train our kids their whole lives to focus on achievement and even in the church we forget to tell them to focus on God’s overall purposes for this world and others.

Scripture 3: 8 When the great crowd heard all that he was doing, they came to him.

Observation
Jesus had already taught in the temple. It was teaching unlike what any had heard. They had already likely heard of what happened at His baptism when God spoke.

Yet, instead of seeking Him to learn truth and to find God, they sought Him because of His miracles. They were seeking what they could get not what they could become or how God could be honored.

Application
This is the temptation in Christianity today as well. That instead of seeking for God to transform us and seeking to honor God, we seek what He will do to make our lives better and make us happy.

3/09/2016 11:41 pm  #5

Matthew 4:18

“Still others, like seed sown among thorns, hear the word; 19 but the worries of this life, the deceitfulness of wealth and the desires for other things come in and choke the word, making it unfruitful. 20 Others, like seed sown on good soil, hear the word, accept it, and produce a crop—some thirty, some sixty, some a hundred times what was sown.”

So close—yet so far away. When I look at my goals in life I want to produce fruit, good fruit. I want my life to be a living sacrifice. Yet I am so far away. Here in these verses I see clearly that I am like the seed sown among thorns…”but the desires for other things come in and choke the word making it unfruitful.” I am unfruitful I feel at this time. My pray is that God would prune me and help me to bear fruit.God is faithful, unwaving.

I want to thank the leader of this study Transformed Life for your faithfulness with this study. What a testimony of the work that God is doing in and through you.

Theresnoplacelike Home

Last edited by Theresnoplacelike Home (3/09/2016 11:45 pm)

3/10/2016 12:39 am  #6

I can relate to putting my own plans and goals first and not really considering what Gods plans might be for me.  Definitely something to pray on.

TBG wrote:

Mark 2

Scripture
2:18 Now John's disciples and the Pharisees were fasting. And people came and said to him, "Why do John's disciples and the disciples of the Pharisees fast, but your disciples do not fast?"

2:24 And the Pharisees were saying to him, "Look, why are they doing what is not lawful on the Sabbath?"

Observation
They felt Jesus was not as holy and religious as John and the Pharisees. They had a hard time accepting Jesus because He was not what they were expecting and they did not understand His purposes.

In verse 20-22 we see Jesus telling them that a new work is being done. And we, as readers see the first glimpse of the new covenant and new way God was going to work in man and relate to man. This new work won’t fit the old paradigm.

Application
Do we have hard time accepting Christ in our lives because discipleship is not offering us what we are expecting or we do not understand what God is trying to do?

Even as believers we can be pushing against or not submitting to God’s leading, direction and will because of these same reasons; it is not taking us where we want to go and we cannot understand where God is going.

That has always been the struggle for me, being about God’s priorities and plans and not my own. I think I need to spend more time thinking about God and what He wants and less time always obsessed with my own ideas, plans, desire and goals.

Prayer
The words from this worship song come to my mind: Jesus, my passion in life is to know You. May all other goals bow down to this journey of loving You more. Hear my hearts cry and my prayer for this life. Above all else, give me Yourself.

3/10/2016 9:16 pm  #7

Mark 4
4:24-25 And he said to them, "Pay attention to what you hear: with the measure you use, it will be measured to you, and still more will be added to you. For to the one who has, more will be given, and from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away."

If we faithfully use what insight God has given us, then He will reveal even more to us and we will understand even more of His Word and His ways. If we dismiss even what little we know, then we will continue to lose insight and understanding.

You hear people say they don’t understand the Bible. But understanding the Bible comes from reading the Bible. So one must continue in reading and the Holy Spirit will enlighten you.

4:27-28 Night and day, whether he sleeps or gets up, the seed sprouts and grows, though he does not know how. All by itself the soil produces grain—first the stalk, then the head, then the full kernel in the head.

The Holy Spirit will work in our hearts to grow us spiritually. God is doing a work in us even when we don’t see it.

Philippians 1:6 being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

4:31-32 It is like a mustard seed, which is the smallest of all seeds on earth. Yet when planted, it grows and becomes the largest of all garden plants, with such big branches that the birds can perch in its shade.”

It is easy to get discouraged when we don’t seem to be growing. But we must continue to exercise and use whatever faith we have, be it how small. But note, exercise it in obedience to the faith and knowledge we have in continuing in the Word, prayer, fellowship and obedience. But, God will grow that little bit we have into great things in our hearts and grow His kingdom in our lives.

Galatians 6:9
And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart.

Optional GMG Discussion Question: Jesus has all authority over nature. Even the wind and waves obey Him. How does knowing the power of Jesus, give you peace in the midst of your life storms?

I think sometimes we are so casual with God and so focused on the fact that we have a relationship with Him and that He offers us friendship, that we forget, He is God – like the God of the universe, the commander of all things, most powerful and holy.

We forget to have reverent fear for Him. And He lives inside of us, how much more so should this cause us to walk worthy of the calling to which He has called us, to walk in continual obedience, and to purify our hearts, minds, and thoughts.

3/10/2016 9:31 pm  #8

Theresnoplacelike Home wrote:

So close—yet so far away. When I look at my goals in life I want to produce fruit, good fruit. I want my life to be a living sacrifice. Yet I am so far away. Here in these verses I see clearly that I am like the seed sown among thorns…”but the desires for other things come in and choke the word making it unfruitful.” I am unfruitful I feel at this time. My pray is that God would prune me and help me to bear fruit.God is faithful, unwaving.

I want to thank the leader of this study Transformed Life for your faithfulness with this study. What a testimony of the work that God is doing in and through you.
Theresnoplacelike Home

Thank you Theresnoplace.

You know, I feel the same way. I feel like for several years now I know that God wants to take me past this generic "Christian" place and to a deeper place with Him and a deeper place spiritually. It is such a long process and I feel like it is going through labor pains. Like it is this long labor until God births whatever it is He is wanting to do in my life.

I want to bear more fruit, I want the Spirit to be evident at all times in my life, I want less of my flesh to come out, I want to care more about God's kingdom than myself.

I want to identify with Christ is His death by dying to myself, crucifying my nature so that the power of God can raise Himself up in me.

Philippians 3:10  that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death

Of course with the influence of War Room, I have started a War Notebook - and I will write this down to pray for you in this desire of your heart to bear more fruit and to prune off the cares, anxieties and desires of the world in your heart.

itsjenniferrose wrote:

I can relate to putting my own plans and goals first and not really considering what Gods plans might be for me.  Definitely something to pray on.

I will add this to my prayer notebook as well.

God bless you both.

3/11/2016 12:41 am  #9

“For Jesus had said to him, “Come out of this man, you impure spirit!” (Mark 5:8)

Because there is power in Jesus name we can also drive out unclean spirits. Although, I read in black and white about the spiritual world in my bible-- it does not mean that I translate that correctly to the world I see. When someone is possessed do I pray for them? Do I have the discernment to know that there is a demonic stronghold? Do I fast and pray as the scriptures say I should?
These instructions in Matthew were given to the disciples and I believe this is still relevant today.

As you go, proclaim this message: ‘The kingdom of heaven has come near.’  Heal the sick, raise the dead, and cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received; freely give.”

Demons need homes and unfortunately they dwell in souls. If we are filled with the Holy Spirit, we need not fear for the demons cannot dwell near. But our friends and family that do not know God are at risk of demons that may need or want a place to dwell.

My application is that I think that if I was really in tune with God I would recognize the strongholds of Satan. The demons still possess people and if I am unaware then what good am I? I pray that God would increase my discernment. I want to be more like Jesus. If I can free others from demons, than in Jesus name I ask I can and will be used by God in this way. Amen.

Theresnoplacelike Home

Last edited by Theresnoplacelike Home (3/11/2016 12:46 am)

3/13/2016 8:15 pm  #10

Week of March 14, 2016
This Week’s Reading Assignment

The discussion thread is under Bible Study » Mark.

S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.
Don't forget to check the introduction on Mondays and the devotional on Friday at Good Morning Girls.

GMG shares how we see Jesus in Mark as (1) the Son of God, (2)  a Servant, (3) a Miracle Worker, (4) Spreading the Gospel. In each chapter, look to see if you can identify how Jesus is fulfilling these things.

To help you get started, let's define Gospel. According to Strongs: good tidings; the glad tidings of the kingdom of God soon to be set up; the proclamation of the grace of God manifest and pledged in Christ;  the glad tidings of salvation through Christ

Monday
Reading: Mark 6
Verse of the Day: Mark 6:31
Optional GMG Discussion Question: When the apostles returned to Jesus from sharing the gospel, He told them to find a desolate place and rest awhile. Where do you go to be alone, to seek God and replenish your soul?

Tuesday
Reading: Mark 7
Verse of the Day: Mark 7:6-7
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Today we are reminded to do things for the simple love of God and not because they are simply tradition. Is there something that you have always done because you thought it was right, only to discoverthat is was a tradition and not God's law?

Wednesday
Reading: Mark 8
Verse of the Day: Mark 8:34
Optional GMG Discussion Question: We are commanded to take up our cross daily and follow Christ. What does taking up your cross and denying yourself look like in your life?

Thursday
Reading: Mark 9
Verse of the Day: Mark 9:23
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Jesus said, all things are possible for the one that believes. Do you believe the impossible for your life? How have you seen God work through your belief?

Friday
Reading: Mark 10
Verse of the Day: Mark 10:31
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Jesus tells us that we must be willing to leave behind everything for His sake. What are you holding onto that is preventing you from following God in your life?

Board footera