Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/09/2016 11:22 am  #1

Deuteronomy

Intro Deuteronomy 

Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness is intended to lead you to repentance? Romans 2:4

1 Peter 1:13-23

Deuteronomy is a very important book; it is directly quoted over 40 times in the New Testament with many more allusions. Only Psalms and Isaiah exceed this number of quotes.

Deuteronomy tells us about attributes of God.

It concentrates on the events that took place in the final weeks of Moses’ life. In many ways it summarizes the entire message of the first four books of the Bible: God loves His people and calls them to a holy and set apart life – God’s redemption.

The book is speaking to the second generation that was born and raised in the wilderness. All the people who were born in Egypt and experienced the exodus and God’s great deliverance were dead save Moses, Joshua, and Caleb.

In Deuteronomy we find them on the other side of the Jordan river, on the verge of conquering the promised land, Canaan. We will see Moses exit the scene and Joshua raised up as the new leader.

It is laid out as a treaty, preamble, historic prologue (history of God’s dealing with the people, faithfulness, trustworthiness) and the blessings and curses that come with honoring or violating this treaty.

Deuteronomy was given as a motivation for them to obey God by underlining God’s grace, power, and holiness.

It reminds people that God chosen them out of redeeming love not personal merit.  The knowledge of this underserved love should motivate them to radical obedience: Memory, love, obedience and underlying themes.

Key verse: Deuteronomy 6:5 Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.

4/09/2016 8:11 pm  #2

Re: Deuteronomy

Week of April 11
This Week’s Reading Assignment

S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.

Monday
Reading: Deuteronomy 1
Good Morning Girls: Introduction to Week
Verse of the Day: Deuteronomy 1:30
Optional GMG Discussion Question:
God blesses His people when they follow His commands. At times, we do our own thing and there are consequences for not being obedient. How have you experienced this in your own life?

Tuesday
Reading: Deuteronomy 2
Verse of the Day: Deuteronomy 2:7
When God is on our side, there is no battle too big to fight. Name a time when you faced a battle that God brought you through victoriously.

Wednesday
Reading: Deuteronomy 3
Verse of the Day: Deuteronomy 3:22
Sometimes we give way to fear in the midst of life's battles. As a result, we miss out on seeing the work of God in our lives. In what area of your life is God calling you to trust Him more and not give in to your fears?

Thursday
Reading: Deuteronomy 4
Verse of the Day: Deuteronomy 4:24
God's mercy allows us to return to Him when we have walked away. He will never forsake us! Name a time when God showed mercy to you.

Friday
Reading: Deuteronomy 5
Good Morning Girls: Devotional and Discussion
Verse of the Day: Deuteronomy 5:33
God desires that we walk in all the ways that He commands, so that we may live well. Which of the commandments do you need to apply more in your life?

Last edited by TBG (4/18/2016 6:11 am)

4/10/2016 7:47 pm  #3

Deuteronomy 1 

1:6 The LORD our God said to us at Horeb, “You have stayed long enough at this mountain.
It was time for them to go and do the work of God. There comes a point that we need to stop thinking and planning and actually go out and do the work that God has prepared for us. Sometimes, it is time for us to go into battle as well.

1:27 You grumbled in your tents and said, “The LORD hates us; so he brought us out of Egypt to deliver us into the hands of the Amorites to destroy us.

This is a wrong view of God. It shows lack of faith or unbelief.

During trials, unhappiness, or disappointments, do I have a wrong view of God? Do I trust Him? Do I believe His power, provision and presence? Is He enough for me?

1:28 Where can we go? Our brothers have made our hearts melt in fear. They say, ‘The people are stronger and taller than we are; the cities are large, with walls up to the sky. We even saw the Anakites there.’

They listened to the world’s advice and not God’s advice. The world says, “that can’t work, God’s ways won’t work, you have to do it the world’s way, you have to do it in your own strength.” And so, we compromise.

1:31-32 and in the wilderness. There you saw how the LORD your God carried you, as a father carries his son, all the way you went until you reached this place.” In spite of this, you did not trust in the LORD your God,

1:41 Then you replied, “We have sinned against the LORD. We will go up and fight, as the LORD our God commanded us.” So every one of you put on his weapons, thinking it easy to go up into the hill country.

We cannot manipulate God, or do works to make up for our sin. We must obey in submission, submit to God’s decisions. We must be about God’s work. We cannot please God in our own effort.

They thought they could take control and set the agenda. We must focus on God’s will before we act, or respond and try to identify His purposes.

1:43 So I told you, but you would not listen. You rebelled against the LORD’s command and in your arrogance you marched up into the hill country.
When we act in our own strength and against God’s agenda, we are rebelling and acting presumptuously. We rush out and act in our own effort. We are saying, “God will come around and prosper my efforts, or I can do this on my own.”

1:45 You came back and wept before the LORD, but he paid no attention to your weeping and turned a deaf ear to you.
This was not a repentant, humble heart. They were weeping for the loss of their desires or for their hurts not because they repented of dishonoring God or they were sorry that God was offended.

4/11/2016 7:05 pm  #4

Deuteronomy 2

2:15 For indeed the hand of the Lord was against them, to destroy them from the midst of the camp until they were consumed.
Purge out those who interfere or are a bad/negative influence or hindrance to God’s plans. People who speak against God or work against what God is trying to accomplish.

2:24 'Rise, take your journey, and cross over the River Arnon. Look, I have given into your hand Sihon the Amorite, king of Heshbon, and his land. Begin to possess it, and engage him in battle.

We don’t need to live in defeat as believers. I am not talking about what you hear on from TV teachers about being healthy and financially well off. Paul, Peter, James, etc. had physical ailments that were not healed, had sickness, imprisonment and ultimately cruel deaths. Yet, they did walk in victory and are spiritual giants of the faith and models for all of time of faithfulness and the power of the Holy Spirit working and moving through and in them.

No, I am talking about the fact that we can have joy, peace, hope, holiness, etc. in our lives.

We are free from the bondage and control of sin, we are free from the cares of this world. We have been given every spiritual blessing in heavenly places (Ephesians 1) and have been made new creations in Christ (Colossians 3).

We need to possess what God has given us. We need to live in the reality of who God has made us to be, what He has saved us from, and what He has saved us to. We need to posses and live out His promises to us. We don’t have to live and be controlled by our flesh. We can be led by the Spirit. We can have peace. Our burdens can feel light. We can be filled with hope and love. We can be free from power of sin. We can live in truth and faithfulness. We can be conformed to His image.

We need to live in the reality of what God has done and to turn and reject anything else.

4/13/2016 9:12 am  #5

Deuteronomy 3

3:22 You shall not fear them, for it is the LORD your God who fights for you.'

My job is to be obedient to God, to seek Him and to serve Him and others. God will be responsible for how everything else works out. He will fight and direct. I can trust my life and future in His hands.

It does not mean things will be easy, or the way I want them or that there will not be trials, but it means God is in control and I can trust his will for me. I must trust and not be anxious, fearful, discouraged, or depressed.

I must graciously accept what God gives me with all submission and thanksgiving.

4/14/2016 8:02 am  #6

Deuteronomy 4
(This is such a long and pithy chapter that I may have to post my thoughts in batches. But my thoughts on the first section are as follows.)

4:1 Now, O Israel, listen to the statutes and the judgments which I teach you to observe, that you may live, and go in and possess the land which the Lord God of your fathers is giving you.

That they might have life and fulfill the plans God had for them.

We need to listen to and obey the Word of God so that we can be transformed; So that we can know and love God; So that our spirit can be strengthened to be the person God wants us to be and to be able to make the impact He wants us to make with our lives.

4:2 You shall not add to the word which I command you, nor take from it, that you may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you.

The Pharisees added to the law and made it a burden on people. They wanted to make themselves seem so holy because of their strict interpretation and adherence.

4:6 Therefore be careful to observe them; for this is your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the peoples who will hear all these statutes, and say, ‘Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.’

We are to bring glory to God when the people see God’s wisdom by how well we are living our lives. If they instead see chaos, anger, anxiety, dissensions, unfaithfulness, un-lovingness, and un-forgiveness in our “Christian” lives it slanders God.

By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. John 13:35

having a good conscience, that when they defame you as evildoers, those who revile your good conduct in Christ may be ashamed. 1 Peter 3:16

4:7 For what great nation is there that has God so near to it, as the Lord our God is to us, for whatever reason we may call upon Him?

As beautiful as this promise was to Israel, it is so much more for us. What people are there that have God in them! God lives in us. God is so near to us that He is in us, and we may boldly go before His throne with confidence. (Hebrews 4:16) What an amazing promise that overwhelms us with God’s grace towards us who do not deserve this.

4:9-10 Only take heed to yourself, and diligently keep yourself, lest you forget the things your eyes have seen, and lest they depart from your heart all the days of your life. And teach them to your children and your grandchildren, especially concerning the day you stood before the Lord your God in Horeb, when the Lord said to me, ‘Gather the people to Me, and I will let them hear My words, that they may learn to fear Me all the days they live on the earth, and that they may teach their children.

Carefully keep our souls, be diligent watch our selves so that we will not forget what God has done, so that thoughts of God’s character and works will not be lost to our hearts and minds.

Interesting that this indicates that it takes effort, willful, conscious effort to keep our hearts and minds set on God. I think the natural drift in this world is to drift away from God. There is a current and we have to actively swim against the current to stay close to the life boat.

We need to hear the Word of God so we can learn to fear and reverence God, “learn.” It is not automatic nor inherent in us. We must learn to fear and reverence God and that will happen as we are more and more exposed to and meditate on His Word.

4/18/2016 6:08 am  #7

Week of April 18
This Week’s Reading Assignment

S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.

Monday
Reading: Deuteronomy 6
Good Morning Girls: Introduction to Week
Verse of the Day: Deuteronomy 6:5
The greatest commandment is that we love God. When things are going well, it is easy to lose our focus on Him and the blessing He gives. What steps are you taking to ensure that God remains the focus of your life during the good and bad times?

Tuesday
Reading: Deuteronomy 7
Verse of the Day: Deuteronomy 7:21
Our God is mighty. We have no need to be afraid of those who stand against us. How have you seen the mightiness of God at work in your life?

Wednesday
Reading: Deuteronomy 8
Verse of the Day: Deuteronomy 8:17-18
We must thank God for all that He does for us and not take credit for ourselves. What do you need to thank God for doing in your life today?

Thursday
Reading: Deuteronomy 9
Verse of the Day: Deuteronomy 9:3
Our sin should bring us to our knees before the Lord. Take time to examine your heart and repent of any unconfessed sin in your life.

Friday
Reading: Deuteronomy 10
Good Morning Girls: Devotional and Discussion
Verse of the Day: Deuteronomy 10:12
God requires us to fear Him, walk in His ways, love Him and serve Him with our hearts and souls. In what ways do you live this out each day?

4/18/2016 9:11 pm  #8

Deuteronomy 6:12
"...be careful not to forget the Lord, who rescued you from slavery in the land of Egypt."

This scripture really stood out to me and seemed to be more applicable to the GMG discussion question:The greatest commandment is that we love God. When things are going well, it is easy to lose our focus on Him and the blessing He gives. What steps are you taking to ensure that God remains the focus of your life during the good and bad times?

I find this verse to be so true.  Leading up to the above scripture says, "
When you have eaten your fill in this land...." We tend to get comfortable once we've reached a certain status, or accomplished a particular goal.. and sometimes qw don't spend enough time in the word, prayer or simply fully relying on God like we once did when we had no other options. I'm guilty of this. 

Here are a few steps to keep you focused on God during the good/bad from a working and busy woman's perspective:
 -When you come from home from work, go right to the bedroom and read the word.  Either end the day or start the day with scripture
-Have scripture reminders/notifications on your bible app
-Use your commute time to hear a sermon
-Pray for your week and what's on your heart Sunday evenings.

Just a few things that help me.   

4/23/2016 8:01 am  #9

itsjenniferrose wrote:

Deuteronomy 6:12
We tend to get comfortable once we've reached a certain status, or accomplished a particular goal.. and sometimes qw don't spend enough time in the word, prayer or simply fully relying on God like we once did when we had no other options. I'm guilty of this. 

Here are a few steps to keep you focused on God during the good/bad from a working and busy woman's perspective:
 -When you come from home from work, go right to the bedroom and read the word.  Either end the day or start the day with scripture
-Have scripture reminders/notifications on your bible app
-Use your commute time to hear a sermon
-Pray for your week and what's on your heart Sunday evenings.

So true, we when don't need God anymore, we neglect Him. So many warnings in Deuteronomy about remembering and fearing.  I love your ideas and tips also.

4/23/2016 8:02 am  #10

Was out of town again ladies. I have been reading, but just not posting, so here goes my barrage of back posts!

Chapter 4 Part 2

Remember, I said I had more to post on chapter 4.

4:25-27 When you father children and children's children, and have grown old in the land, if you act corruptly by making a carved image in the form of anything, and by doing what is evil in the sight of the LORD your God, so as to provoke him to anger, I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that you will soon utterly perish from the land that you are going over the Jordan to possess. You will not live long in it, but will be utterly destroyed. And the LORD will scatter you among the peoples, and you will be left few in number among the nations where the LORD will drive you.

He warned them, but we never really believe consequences will come. We really believe what we are doing is no great matter and can be indulged with impunity.

Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life. Galatians 6:7-8

4:29 But from there you will seek the LORD your God and you will find him, if you search after him with all your heart and with all your soul.

In spite of the consequences for their disobedience, there was a way back to God.

There will always a way back to God, even if consequences remain.

[God has made us] so that they should seek the Lord, in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us Acts 17:27

4:30  When you are in tribulation, and all these things come upon you in the latter days, you will return to the LORD your God and obey his voice.

When they turn and obey. They must stop sinning and obey. He is merciful

Board footera