Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/03/2016 3:07 pm  #1

Joshua

Beneath this reading assignment post you can post your discussions and SOAKs.

I created an Pentateuch Recap and intro to Joshua. This is a recap of the first 5 books of the Bible, commonly known as the Pentateuch. This recap will provide some of the background to help us better understand Joshua.

Week of September 5
This Week’s Reading Assignment

S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.

Monday
Reading: Joshua 1
Verse of the Day: Joshua 1:9
Good Morning Girls: Introduction to the Week
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Throughout the reading, the Israelites are reminded to be strong and courageous. What is something that you are dealing with today that requires you to be strong and courageous?

Tuesday
Reading: Joshua 2
Verse of the Day: Joshua 2:11
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Rehab stepped out in faith to help the spies. Name a time you had to step out in faith for God.

Wednesday
Reading: Joshua 3
Verse of the Day: Joshua 3:5
Optional GMG Discussion Question: God used a miracle to show Joshua and all of Israel that He was with them. How has God shown you that He is with you?

Thursday
Reading: Joshua 4
Verse of the Day: Joshua 4:24
Optional GMG Discussion Question: The Israelites created a memorial, made of stones, to remind them of how God had helped them. Do you have something you have held onto as a reminder of how God has helped you?

Friday
Reading: Joshua 5
Verse of the Day: Joshua 5:14
Good Morning Girls: Devotional and Video
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Joshua asked the commander of the army of the Lord what was required of him. Have you humbled yourself under God’s direction? How have you sought out God’s will for your life?

Last edited by TBG (9/08/2016 9:20 pm)

9/04/2016 10:05 pm  #2

Re: Joshua

Joshua 1

1:7 Only be strong and very courageous, that you may observe to do according to all the law which Moses My servant commanded you; do not turn from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may prosper wherever you go.

O: Be strong and courageous so that, so that or in order to observe all the law.

It will take strength and courage for Israel to be able to obey God and be faithful to Him. Brave to obey God and not go the way of nations around them.

A: For us in our time it still takes courage and strength to be able to obey God and be faithful to Him. However, we now have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit to give us the strength and courage.

1:8 This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.

O: Meditate on God’s Words so that, or in order to observe it.

A: The New Testament says that God will write His laws on our hearts and minds (Hebrews 8:10, Hebrews 10:16). This does not mean that we should not mediate on the Word. 2 Timothy 2:15 says to study to show ourselves approved and to be able to discern the truth.

The promises for prosperity and success were specifically to Israel at this time as a part of God’s plan. This does not indicate that we will be prosperous if we obey. We see this in the persecution of faithful believers. We see this in the persecution and martyrdom of the early church and even early church leaders and apostles. James 1:2 even says how to respond when we fall into trials, not if. The Gospels say that believers will be delivered up to tribulation and martyrdom (Matthew 24:9, Matthew 10:19, Mark 13:9, Mark 13:11).

1:9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."

This is even more true for disciples of Christ. God is not just with us; He is in us. The fact that God is in us wherever we go, whatever we do, whatever we think should prick our conscious when we engage in things dishonoring to God and disobedient. It should also give us peace, courage and confidence when we go through challenges. God is with us and in us.

Optional GMG Discussion Question: Throughout the reading, the Israelites are reminded to be strong and courageous. What is something that you are dealing with today that requires you to be strong and courageous?

I would not say courageous, but I would say strong and faithful to keep following wherever God leads. We are in the middle of a lot of uncertainty and mixed emotions about God’s will. But I think I have been led to just faithfully keep walking in this direction and see what God is going to do with it, close the door or open it. And I have to be faithful and strong to accept whatever way things end up and embrace it with joy that it is God’s plan and not get hung up on it not being what I want.

9/06/2016 8:21 am  #3

Joshua 2

2: 9-11 and said to the men, "I know that the LORD has given you the land, and that the fear of you has fallen upon us, and that all the inhabitants of the land melt away before you. For we have heard how the LORD dried up the water of the Red Sea before you when you came out of Egypt, and what you did to the two kings of the Amorites who were beyond the Jordan, to Sihon and Og, whom you devoted to destruction. And as soon as we heard it, our hearts melted, and there was no spirit left in any man because of you, for the LORD your God, he is God in the heavens above and on the earth beneath.

O: Other’s had heard of God’s power and miracles; others had even seen it. But the Egyptians, who had seen and experienced it, still had hard hearts and rebelled and rejected God’s authority. Yet, Rahab believed and accepted God’s sovereignty.

A: God does not care about our past, but about our future. She was a prostitute, but she is one of I think only 3 women listed in the genealogy of Christ. This is a place of great honor because of her faith. God cleanses us and credits his worthiness to us.

We need to not get trapped in our past failures, even if there are current consequences, but focus on how God wants to use us in the present and future.

Optional GMG Discussion Question: Rehab stepped out in faith to help the spies. Name a time you had to step out in faith for God.

I guess for me that time is now. A lot of ups and downs have happened around the foster parenting. At first it looked as if the door was closed, and I was crushed and really hurt. Then I came to the place that I no longer wanted to do it and the door opened back up. Then there were some other personal issues that brought a lot of uncertainty and lack of clarity.

I read another post that was a turning point. It was about trying to discern God's will that said if God already told you to do something, be faithful to that before you try to keep figuring out His will.

I do feel that God did seem to put foster parenting on our hearts. I still feel ambiguous about doing it. I kind of want to, especially with very young children, but I am still somewhat comfortable with my life as it is and like the flexibility and decreased responsibilities that I have. And I am really not open to older children.

But I have been feeling lately that I just need to step out in this area since God clearly seems to have called me into fostering. And I feel I need to at least be open to the possibility of a range of ages including older. I feel I do really connect well there and I can really make a difference in someone's life.

My desires are conflictedit, but I just feel I need to step out and put the possibility out there and wait and see what will happen. So, it is a big step of faith for me right now. Please pray for me.

Last edited by TBG (9/06/2016 8:38 am)

9/06/2016 9:33 am  #4

Asking that God will give me extra spiritual strength to overcome some temptations in my life.  That is my strong and courageous issue.

9/07/2016 8:00 am  #5

Joshua 3

3:3-4 and commanded the people, "As soon as you see the ark of the covenant of the LORD your God being carried by the Levitical priests, then you shall set out from your place and follow it………Do not come near it, in order that you may know the way you shall go, for you have not passed this way before."

O: God provides the direction. They were told to wait on and follow God. We will see that whenever Israel does this that they are in God’s will.

A: We should also follow God so that we will know the way to go. We should pursue God’s will in our own life. But we cannot if we are always going ahead of Him, even if it is for a good purpose or to meet appropriate needs and desires. We must wait on God and follow after He leads.

Israel could not come near, but the veil keeping people out of the presence of God and away from the ark was torn in the temple when Christ was crucified (Matthew 27:51). So although Israel could not come near, we now can come near. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need. (Hebrews 4:16)

3:5 Then Joshua said to the people, "Consecrate yourselves, for tomorrow the LORD will do wonders among you."

O: Consecrate: Set apart for holy work or dedicated to holy work. They had to consecrate themselves to prepare for the work that God would do.

A: This makes me think of the fact that I too should be set apart from sin and set apart from this world and dedicated to the work of God. Set apart to prepare for and to allow the works that God wants to do in and through my life.

3:7 The LORD said to Joshua, "Today I will begin to exalt you in the sight of all Israel, that they may know that, as I was with Moses, so I will be with you.

O: Joshua was exalted so that he would be effective at fulfilling God’s work. The purpose of his exaltation was not for his glory but that he might be able to fulfill God’s purpose in leading Israel.

A: If God raises us up to positions of prominence or wealth, it is not for our glory, but so that we can be in a position to do His work. So if we have been raised up. Let us use it for His purpose and not to ncreas our own power, authority, influence, or wealth. Let us use it as an opportunity to work God.

3:16 the waters coming down from above stood and rose up in a heap very far away, at Adam, the city that is beside Zarethan, and those flowing down toward the Sea of the Arabah, the Salt Sea, were completely cut off. And the people passed over opposite Jericho.

Our God is a powerful God and He commands everything. His purposes will not be thwarted. He can accomplish all He wills. But we must be about following Him to accomplish His purpose and not our own. That is the hard part. It is so easy to focus on working towards our goals.

P: Father give me a heart for Your goals and help me to focus on accomplishing Your purposes and not my own.

Optional GMG Discussion Question: God used a miracle to show Joshua and all of Israel that He was with them. How has God shown you that He is with you?

By changing my heart and changing me and using me for His purposes. By using things that seemed bad at the time for good. By allowing my past failures to be used to help me better love and minister to others.

9/07/2016 8:20 am  #6

scarriger wrote:

Asking that God will give me extra spiritual strength to overcome some temptations in my life.  That is my strong and courageous issue.

That is a path many of us have walked down. When I was in college, I wanted to follow God but found that I just did not consistently walk in a way that was obedient of honoring to Him. That was a process to finally come to the point of submission and let God's Spirit give me a heart to obey Him.

Our minds get wired to respond in certains ways that is why adiction is so hard to break and habitual temptation is similar. Keep in mind that each time you resist and win the battle it makes it easier the next time. Then you will hit a wall where it seems very difficult, that is when you fight because if win that time, it is even easier. You have to rewire your brain to respond differently.

It is hard to overcome temptation in our own strength. We draw closer to God by spending more time in His word, in prayer, in service, and in fellowship with other believers and spend less time letting our minds dwell on secular things.

Set your mind on things above Col 3:1-4 (NIV) (TM)But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do. Galatians 5:16-17

Romans 8:5–6: For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.

Now, I know that this is easier said than done. I wanted to, but somehow I just did not. So, here is a good post that may help you delve into this a little more: Set Your Mind on the Spirit.

Finally, as I posted elsewhere, do not grow weary in doing good for, for in due time you will reap, if you do not grow weary and give up. Galatians 6:9. And be confident in the fact that He who has begun a good work in you will be faithful to complete that work Philippians 1:6

I can so relate to you and am sincerely praying for you.

Last edited by TBG (9/07/2016 8:23 am)

9/08/2016 8:40 am  #7

Joshua 4

4:6 that this may be a sign among you. When your children ask in time to come, 'What do those stones mean to you?'

O: Perpetual reminder to them of the power of God and the things He has done for them; keep focus of God as center of community so kids grow up talking about His works

A: We don't often think of this but I wonder if we should not make sure there are reminders in our lives of what God has done for us. So when we get discouraged or go through difficult times or when it seems we can't hear God or don't see Him moving we will remember what He has done in our lives. I wonder if we take for granted what God has done in our lives and so don't make note of it or remember it.

It is probably a good idea to have a scripture memory card or a cross or something that reminds us throughout the day to keep our focus on God. When I worked I had a memory verse taped on my wall and it did help me to stay focused on God. I also used to wear a cross necklace to remind myself to live for God.

That being said, there is a key difference between Israel and us. We have the Holy Spirit in us; we have God in us. So God in us makes sure we keep our hearts and our focus directed on Him. It says in Hebrews that God will make a new covenant with us and He will write His laws in our hearts and minds. And it is His Holy Spirit that draws us to Him. So, I don't think we should take this reminder thing as an idol and too far. But it may be a nice idea.

4:24 so that all the peoples of the earth may know that the hand of the LORD is mighty, that you may fear the LORD your God forever."

O: The purpose of the miracle was that the people of the earth would know God's power and might and so that Israel would have reverence for God.

A: It seems when I read about miracles I see that God works for His ultimate purposes. It seems the miracle was not done to just make an easy life for Israel. Other faithful people did not have easy lives: Joseph, David off the top of my head. God works to fulfill His ultimate purpose and yes, He lovingly cares for us, but our short term suffering may be for a greater good and the things of this life are just a shadow.

Optional GMG Discussion Question: The Israelites created a memorial, made of stones, to remind them of how God had helped them. Do you have something you have held onto as a reminder of how God has helped you?

9/08/2016 9:59 pm  #8

Joshua 5

5:13b-14 And Joshua went to him and said to him, "Are you for us, or for our adversaries?" And he said, "No; but I am the commander of the army of the LORD. Now I have come." And Joshua fell on his face to the earth and worshiped and said to him, "What does my lord say to his servant?"

O: Some commentators say that this was Jesus. They point to the fact that Joshua worshiped and the man did not tell him to not worship as an angel would have done. God was not on Joshua’s side or the side of his adversaries, He was commanding God’s purposes. He was there to give God’s message to command God’s purpose.

A: This is one of my favorite verses. Joshua says are you for me or my enemy and God says, no I am for the Lord. In the middle of strife we need to seek out God’s message and God’s purpose and get on God’s side.

We want God to advocate for us or for our positions and “fix” other people who are “wrong.” We want Him to advocate for us against other people or to change other people to meet our expectations. We want Him to further our agenda.

We need to not try to get God on our side, but we need to get on God’s side. We need to be trying to align ourselves up with God’s plan and not try to get God to fulfill our plan. I want to be for the Lord.

K: Lord, help me to align my heart to Your purposes and plans. Give me a heart to seek you and to seek Your voice and will. May I be known as a woman who is on the Lord’s side.

Optional GMG Discussion Question: Joshua asked the commander of the army of the Lord what was required of him. Have you humbled yourself under God’s direction? How have you sought out God’s will for your life?

Yes, I am walking through that right now. It is hard because I don’t feel He is giving me a specific answer. But I feel like He has given me at least what to do now, fill out the paperwork and be open no matter what happens.

9/09/2016 3:35 pm  #9

In response to the Optional Discussion question:  Yes, I seek out God's will for my life daily. I am in a rough season right now and I find myself constantly asking God to please tell me what I am supposed to do, what is his will. I feel like I am doing what he wants but I feel like the situation is not getting better. I know I have to keep praying and keep listening and that He will show me the answer in His time, when He is ready. It really is a hard thing to do....being patient is not my strong quality and I think He makes me wait to strengthen that. But I continue to seek Him and for now I will wait.....as patiently as I can.  

9/11/2016 7:27 pm  #10

Beneath this reading assignment post you can post your discussions and SOAKs.

Week of September 12
This Week’s Reading Assignment

S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.

Monday
Reading: Joshua 6
Verse of the Day: Joshua 6:18
Good Morning Girls: Introduction to the Week
Optional GMG Discussion Question: God gave Israel victory over a highly fortified city in the most unusual way. Is there something in your life that seems too difficult to overcome on your own? Perhaps it’s time to give the battle to the Lord. Write a prayer today asking God to help you have victory.

Tuesday
Reading: Joshua 7
Verse of the Day: Joshua 7:12
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Joshua is confused as to why God allowed them to be defeated until he is shown that Achan had sinned against God. Are there things in your own life that are holding you back from all of God’s possible blessings?

Wednesday
Reading: Joshua 8
Verse of the Day: Joshua 8:1
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Once the transgression of Achan had been dealt with, God was ready to provide them with a victory. Name a time when, once you confessed your sin and dealt with the issue, you felt God working in your favor.

Thursday
Reading: Joshua 9
Verse of the Day: Joshua 9:14
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Despite the fact that they were lied to, the Israelites still honored their vow of peace. How does this provide us with a reminder about our own dealings with others?

Friday
Reading: Joshua 10
Verse of the Day: Joshua 10:13
Good Morning Girls: Devotional and Video
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Joshua prayed a bold prayer of faith. He called out to the Lord in the sight of Israel and asked God to make the sun stand still and He did. Is there something you have been praying for that you that have given up on? Pray a bold prayer of faith today. Watch and see what God does.

Last edited by TBG (9/18/2016 10:14 pm)

Board footera