Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/03/2014 12:01 pm  #1

Esther - All Chapters

Let post our comments for all the chapters in this thread.  We can have a thread for each book of the Bible. At least for the shorter books.  Perhaps some of the longer books will be broken into sections so the thread does not get too long.  I did not move the post for Chapter 1 because there were too many, but I did move the post in the Chapter 2 and 3 thread to this thread. Thanks.

9/03/2014 12:01 pm  #2

Re: Esther - All Chapters

Reading Chapter 2 what came to me was what a difficult and terrible situation Esther had found herself in, to be forced into the Kings harem.  It is unclear to me if she wanted to or if she was just forced to.  It implies forces because it states that the officials rounded up all the beautiful women.  Either way, if she did not please the King she would not be able to leave and have a husband and family of her own.  Instead, she would have to spend her life in a harem.

It is also unclear if she is following God and still serving him or if she has fallen away from practicing her Hebrew faith.  Either way, it shows that God was moving behind the scene the help her find favor in the sight of the eunuch and the king.  I think this was God showing favor because I feel it would be better to be the queen than a concubine.  So, God may have been showing favor on Esther because of her faithfulness.  Or if she was not still practicing her Hebrew religion, he did so because he knew when push came to shove she ultimately would be willing to serve Him and do His will.  And therefore, He was at work to fulfill His purpose in preserving the people of Israel.

I also noted at the very beginning of the chapter it says the king “remembered Vashti.”  It seems he was sorrowful that he had put her aside.  This kind of makes me think of what Mitzi said in chapter one.  He probably really cared for her, but they both let anger and pride get in the way of their relationship.

9/03/2014 12:02 pm  #3

Chapter 3
In the thread on the “Esther Overview and Introduction” I stated that John MacArthur had an excellent background write up on the book of Esther.  Well, one of the things he discusses is the feud between Haman and Mordecai. 

“Let’s go back a thousand years, or almost a thousand years, to the Exodus from Egypt. The Israelites come out of Egypt and they’re attacked in the seventeenth chapter of Exodus by the Amalekites. Because the Amalekites attacked the Jews, God curses the Amalekites and God’s curse in Deuteronomy 25 says, “One day they’re going to be extinct.” God pronounces a curse on the Amalekites. God, the God of Israel, pronounces a curse on the Amalekites.

Four centuries later, King Saul conquers the Amalekites—you remember the story in 1 Samuel—and he captures their king and his name is Agag, the Amalekite king. Saul was supposed to kill Agag; he didn’t do it. He let him live. Samuel stepped in and in 1 Samuel 15, “He hacked him to pieces.” Haman was an Agagite. And though almost a millennium had passed since the curse, and hundreds of years had passed since the hacking of Agag to death, Haman knew his family history and he knew that it was a Jewish man, a Jewish prophet by the name of Samuel, who had hacked his royal ancestor to pieces.

To make it worse, Mordecai is a descendant of Kish, chapter 2, verse 5. Kish is from the tribe of Benjamin, and Benjamin is the line of Saul. They knew their history. There was deep-seeded animosity between the descendants of Saul and the descendants of Agag for obvious reasons. And though nearly...What?...550 years had passed, both Haman and Mordecai—Haman the Agagite, Mordecai the Benjamite—had not forgotten the tribal feud that was so ancient.”

When Mordecai says he won’t bow because he is  Jewish it is unclear whether it was to honor God or because of the historical blood feud between the Jewish people and Haman’s ancestors. 

While it is understandable that the king would want to stamp out any rebellion, the extermination of an entire people seems extreme.  Again, it kind of shows what a ruthless and maniacal person the king was.

Notice that all the city was in confusion over this.  So often we are in confusion over the trials and difficulties in our lives.  But in the midst of this confusion, God was at work.

9/03/2014 12:12 pm  #4

Chapter 4
How terrifying.  After 30 days maybe she did not know how the king was feeling towards her.  Did she have children by this time?  If so, how scary that you may be put to death and taken from your kids. What a terrifying time to feel that you entire people may be slaughtered and the only way to save them may lead to your death.  It is a kind of hopelessness that can happen when we sometimes see how out of control and wicked our world is. 

What stands out to me is that whether Esther chooses to help or not, God will deliver His people (because He had made a covenant that the Messiah would come from the line of David so we know that He would fulfill His word.)  Esther can be an agent of this deliverance or not.  But what interesting is that Mordecai says that if she does not help God will still deliver His people but she will still perish. (verse 14).

Again, we do not want to take historical narratives and theological truths, but I certainly think we can notice and identifies parallels.  And what this made me think of is that we can choose to be used by God to fulfill His purposes or not.  If we don’t, God will find others who are faithful and His purpose won’t be destroyed all we will be doing is spiritually destroying ourselves, the work that God wants to do in our lives, our purpose in life, and our spiritual growth.

9/04/2014 1:41 am  #5

Upon reading Chapter 1 and 2, my first reactions were, "heck no!" As a modern woman living in 2014, I can't imagine living under those conditions. But alas, that was the times. A little difficult for me to apply to my life.

I like what TBG said about getting caught up in pride. I do believe that is what causes a lot of our suffering. And I definitely get caught up with the whole showing off our "treasures." I'm definitetly not a brag, but hey, I have Instagram and I USE it. LOL

Re: Chapter 1...I still feel like gosh, couldn't Xerxes  have asked the queen what was wrong?? 

On to Chapter 3!

9/04/2014 8:05 am  #6

Chapter 5
What strikes me in this chapter is the contrasting the humility of Esther with the pride of Haman.  The more important he thinks he is, the more enraged he is that Mordecai won’t honor him.  It reminds me of a post I made on yesterday’s Good Morning Girl (GMG) blog post in response to another poster. 

Penny on the GMG blog posted:  “How many times do we get angry when we feel we are treated wrongly. We may not want to destroy a group of people, however words can damage.”

My response, which I think is pertinent to today’s reading was: This is so true. The anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God – James 1:20. Righteous anger is being angry when God is slandered or dishonored, but all too often we get angry when WE are dishonored. Very convicting.

This is pride, because we feel we are to be honored.  The more we feel we are special, better than, or worthy of honor, the more we get offended and angry when people mistreat us or show us disrespect or dishonor.

Jesus never fought back or argued back when people dishonored Him (as a man).  He only got angry when people dishonored God.  1 Peter 2:23 when He was reviled, did not revile in return; when He suffered, He did not threaten, but committed Himself to Him who judges righteously

James Chapter 1

My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience.  But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. (vs. 2-4) 

Let the lowly brother glory in his exaltation, but the rich in his humiliation, because as a flower of the field he will pass away.  For no sooner has the sun risen with a burning heat than it withers the grass; its flower falls, and its beautiful appearance perishes.  So the rich man also will fade away in his pursuits. (vs. 9-11)

So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath;  for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God. (vs. 19-20)

Remember, Righteous anger is being angry when God is slandered or dishonored, but all too often we get angry when WE are dishonored.

9/04/2014 9:54 am  #7

Chapter 2 -  The uncertainty if Esther  will be chosen as a queen or to be one of the concubines in the harem is a terrible situation to be in.  Mordecai also forbid her to tell her nationality and background; this secrecy, I imagine can be a mental burden.

This chapter tells that she was lovely in form and features, obedient and well liked. She won not only Hegai's favor but everyone who saw her.  Finally, In verse 17, " the King was attracted to Esther more than to any other women, and she won his favor and approval more than any of the other virgins." Esther stood out from the rest of the beautiful, young virgins.

On a fun note, I am curious what were the  beauty treatments and cosmetics used!

9/05/2014 2:07 am  #8

@TBG  that's a great takeaway. You do notice her humility and using it to get her way. It's our biggest asset especially as women.

Chapter 3-5

Wow ...two things here. 1) we can't write people off just because they're different from us. And we do this all the time. We separate and discriminate through race, religion, social status, etc instead of being inclusive as we ought to do as Christians

2) this is such a great example of being used in high places. A reminder we are supposed to be wherever we are for a reason.  And accept that. This is what I love about the book of Esther.

This makes me think of the following  verse:

"Therefore humble yourselves [demote, lower yourselves in your own estimation] under the mighty hand of God, that in due time He may exalt you, Casting the whole of your care [all your anxieties, all your worries, all your concerns, once and for all] on Him, for He cares for you affectionately and cares about you watchfully. [Ps. 55:22.] (‭1 Peter‬ ‭5‬:‭6-7‬ AMP)"

9/05/2014 8:35 am  #9

APM wrote:

Chapter 2 -  The uncertainty if Esther  will be chosen as a queen or to be one of the concubines in the harem is a terrible situation to be in.  Mordecai also forbid her to tell her nationality and background; this secrecy, I imagine can be a mental burden.

This chapter tells that she was lovely in form and features, obedient and well liked. She won not only Hegai's favor but everyone who saw her.  Finally, In verse 17, " the King was attracted to Esther more than to any other women, and she won his favor and approval more than any of the other virgins." Esther stood out from the rest of the beautiful, young virgins.

On a fun note, I am curious what were the  beauty treatments and cosmetics used!

I was thinking of what a terrifying position that was as well.  It is hard for us to imagine living under such totalitarian circumstances.  You can only hope God would just supernaturally give you the strength to endure.  But, this reminds me that so many of our brothers and sisters in Christ live in countries where they are living under incredibly harsh circumstances and facing much persecution.  We should keep them in our prayers.

Regarding the beauty treatments, yes, I also wonder what they were using.  I mean, a whole year to make yourself beautiful!

9/05/2014 8:43 am  #10

Chapter 6

In the midst of Haman being so prideful that he assumed the king wanted to exalt him, he was not only humbled by having to honor Mordecai, but at the end of the chapter he is being led away to his ultimate destruction.

Proverbs 16:18: Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.

Board footera