Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/30/2016 10:08 pm  #1

1 Samuel

Week of January 9
This Week’s Reading Assignment

Post your input below this post.
S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.

Monday
Reading: 1 Samuel 1
Verse of the Day: 1 Samuel 1:17
Good Morning Girls: Introduction to the Week
Optional GMG Discussion/ Personal Reflection Question: Hannah poured her soul out before the Lord passionately, in silent prayer. Who or what is on your heart today that needs your fervent prayers? Pause now and silently lay your requests before the Lord.

Tuesday
Reading: 1 Samuel 2
Verse of the Day: 1 Samuel 2:2
Optional GMG Discussion Question: After God answered Hannah’s prayers for a son, she praised God and was full of thanksgiving.Take a moment and share a praise. What prayer request has God answered for you?

Wednesday
Reading: 1 Samuel 3
Verse of the Day: 1 Samuel 3:9
Optional GMG Discussion Question: God called Samuel three times before Samuel recognized God’s voice. We must be listening to God, as we read His Word. Share a verse or passage of scripture that means a lot to you because God has clearly spoken to you through it.

Thursday
Reading: 1 Samuel 4
Verse of the Day: 1 Samuel 4:5
Optional GMG Discussion/Personal Reflection Question: Israel expected a victory because the ark was with them but their disobedience led to defeat. God is always with you and wants to give you victory but sin holds us back. Confess here below, any sin that is holding you back today.

Friday
Reading: 1 Samuel 5
Verse of the Day: 1 Samuel 5:2-3
Good Morning Girls: Devotional and Video
Optional GMG Discussion Question: False gods will always fail before the One True God! One day every knee will bow to Him. How does this bring you comfort to see the power of your God displayed in 1 Samuel 5?

Last edited by TBG (1/15/2017 6:38 pm)

1/09/2017 8:46 am  #2

Re: 1 Samuel

1 Samuel 1

S: 1:18 And she said, "Let your servant find favor in your eyes." Then the woman went her way and ate, and her face was no longer sad.

Observation:
She had faith and trusted in God. There was no guarantee she would get this request. What Eli said was merely a prayer. Yet once she poured out all of her heart, she had peace and trusted the outcome to God.

Application:
After we have sincerely sought God and poured our heart out to Him, we need to let go of our anxiety, fear, or hurt and go with gladness in confidence that God has heard us and will work all according to His good will for us.

I had a lot of heartache over this whole foster care situation last year. But, I have been coming to this realization that whatever God wants for my life, He will fulfill and I want whatever God wants for me. I just know that I need to make sure I am listening to God and watching for His leading.

Optional GMG Discussion/ Personal Reflection Question: Hannah poured her soul out before the Lord passionately, in silent prayer. Who or what is on your heart today that needs your fervent prayers? Pause now and silently lay your requests before the Lord.

To foster or not and if so, which kids. Also my heart still aches for these 2 kids that were moved to a different home. I feel I am being disobedient by holding onto something that God has chosen to remove from my life and that I need to let that go out of obedience. I am shifting to thinking of them with joy that I was blessed to experience such love as having these precious ones in my life even if very briefly.

My heart also hurts for some of my family and friends who are not walking with God. It also aches for the general lostness and despair I have seen in so many people. It seems that particularly now, there are so many people who are drifting in hopelessness. It hurts one’s heart to see so much brokenness.

Is there something in your heart that you are learning to pour out to God and give to God?

1/09/2017 8:47 am  #3

1 Samuel 1

S: The Eli answered, “Go in peace, and the God of Israel grant your petition that you have made to Him.” (1:17)

O: In reading the beginning of the chapter it seems that Hannah is not a new bride, and that her barrenness has gone on for years.  I wonder what made this year different.  What made her cry to the Lord so fervently that she appeared as if she were drunk?

A: When we come, like Hannah, to the end of ourselves and cry with abandon to the Lord, that is where we will see Him and where He will make Himself known to us in such a beautiful way.  The answer to our prayer may be yes, it may be no, it may be not now, but we will come away knowing that we’ve had an encounter with God.

1/09/2017 9:01 am  #4

Michelle wrote:

1 Samuel 1
O: In reading the beginning of the chapter it seems that Hannah is not a new bride, and that her barrenness has gone on for years.  I wonder what made this year different.  What made her cry to the Lord so fervently that she appeared as if she were drunk?

A: When we come, like Hannah, to the end of ourselves and cry with abandon to the Lord, that is where we will see Him and where He will make Himself known to us in such a beautiful way.  The answer to our prayer may be yes, it may be no, it may be not now, but we will come away knowing that we’ve had an encounter with God.

I like how you said when we come to the end of ourselves and cry to God with abandon then we will encounter God.

You are so right, why does it take us to long to turn to God sometimes? God should be the first place we go to with our heartache.

Also, I know I do and it seems to me, many other women, that we treasure so many things in our hearts. And we do need to just get honest with God and just get to a private place and really open our hearts to Him and really cry out to Him. But, as you said, we need to do so knowing that we are seeking His will and His answer.

Thanks for sharing

1/09/2017 7:52 pm  #5

S: (1:17) "I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him."

O: Hannah prayed in faith and recognized that God had answered her prayers.

A: Prayer is always a correct path to take. We should always take everything to God in prayer. Besides He has all the answers, so we can pray to Him in faith. How often to we stop there? Do we really recognize how God is working and answering our prayers. Are we looking for the answer to our prayers to come?

K: Lord, help me to be a prayer warrior who pours out my heart to you like Hannah did. Help me to pray in faith as I seek your will and recognize your answers. I may not always receive the answer that I want, but I know that your way is always right. Your love is unfailing and beyond my understanding.

Last edited by Paula (1/09/2017 7:54 pm)

1/09/2017 9:36 pm  #6

Two verses spoke to me when I read this last night,1:15 But Hannah answered, no my lord, I am a woman of sorrowful spirit, I have drunk neither wine or strong drink but I was pouring out my soul before the Lord.1:17 Then Eli said, Go in Peace and may the God of Israel grant your petition which you have asked of himMy observation and applications is that I should be pouring out my soul to my Lord in my prayers and that afterwards I should go in Peace.

1/09/2017 10:08 pm  #7

S: 1 Samuel 1:17-18 "Then Eli answered and said, "Go in peace, and "the God of Israel grant your petition which you have asked of Him." So the woman "went her way and ate, and her face was no longer sad."

O: Hannah poured her heart out to God, left her concerns at the alter. Then she walked away believing that God was going to grant the desires or her heart. (Oh what FAITH!)

A: When going to God you have to have a sincere heart and know that God hears you. I experienced what Hannah went through 21 years ago. I cried out to God for a child, believed that he was going to grant my desires and received a Peace that surpassed everything. Three months later, I conceived a girl and her name is Ariel - "Lion of God and " Victorious under God." [Biblically] Walking through many seasons in my life, my faith and peace has wavered. I have to get back to crying out to God to heal me spiritually...not on a few things but ALL things. Oh to have the faith that I use to have.

K: God, I'm crying out to you to renew my faith and grant me peace as you did with Hannah and so many others in the bible. I've been in this season for 3 years and I'm ready to walk out of it victorious with you. Lord, I want you to Bless me with the desires of your heart not mine. It's time for me to get back to doing your will Father. I know that if I trust you on some things (never failing me) then I should trust you on ALL things. Father, I'm tired. I want the Peace that you have for me so that I may walk correct and stand steadfast in your word.

Last edited by cochrans (1/09/2017 10:11 pm)

1/09/2017 11:41 pm  #8

S:  26 And she said, "Oh, my lord! As you live, my lord, I am the woman who was standing here in your presence, praying to the LORD. 27 For this child I prayed, and the LORD has granted me my petition that I made to him.

O:  Our God is a God of deliverance, but we must walk by faith and make our "petitions" to him.

A:  Sometimes God will draw us down a path where it appears there is no end in sight and we will grow closer to Him, continually asking him to clarify our hearts desires.  When the time is right God will answer the prayers in His own way that gives Him glory.
I also found a website that gives some interesting points about Samuel, the most relevant with this being the introduction is that Samuel is a miracle baby and his name means "God has heard".

K:  First, we have 3 families that we know that have miscarried in the past 3-4 months, for 2 of them it was a repeat miscarriage.  Lord, if it is your will please give these families their miracle babies, heal their pain and suffering, draw them closer to you.  
Second, God, you've brought me on an amazing journey, at one point I was bitter and angry with you, I praise you for this experience and now see it's value.
Help to pray more and tell you what I need and want and to accept whatever answers you send my way.  Help me to listen when you put something on my heart.
I am patiently waiting for good news, whatever the news is, I know you have a place for me and you have my future plans laid out, deliver us, give us a fresh start.

1/10/2017 12:14 am  #9

At first Eli thought Hannah was drunk but when explained her situation I just love how Eli didn't know or ask what Hannah had prayed for but he joined in with her in faith that God would grant her what she requested.  

1/10/2017 9:25 am  #10

Paula wrote:

S: (1:17) "I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him."

O: Hannah prayed in faith and recognized that God had answered her prayers.

A: Prayer is always a correct path to take. We should always take everything to God in prayer. Besides He has all the answers, so we can pray to Him in faith. How often to we stop there? Do we really recognize how God is working and answering our prayers. Are we looking for the answer to our prayers to come?

K: Lord, help me to be a prayer warrior who pours out my heart to you like Hannah did. Help me to pray in faith as I seek your will and recognize your answers. I may not always receive the answer that I want, but I know that your way is always right. Your love is unfailing and beyond my understanding.

Thank you Paula,
Good point when you ask "How often to we stop there? Do we really recognize how God is working and answering our prayers. Are we looking for the answer to our prayers to come?"

That is so true. It is almost like we can pray, yet not really expect God to do something, we just pray out of desperation and hopelessness, like, well there is nothing I can do now so I might as well pray.

"Lord, help me to be a prayer warrior who pours out my heart to you like Hannah did. Help me to pray in faith as I seek your will and recognize your answers."

What a beautiful prayer. Yes, we need to really value and prioritize prayer. That needs to be a vital, critical part of our day and lives.

Thanks for the encouragement and wise words.

Board footera