Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/10/2014 3:45 pm  #1

1 Peter

1 Peter is such a pithy book.  It is almost too much to even take in one chapter a day.  This is by far one of my favorite books in the Bible. It really challenges me and calls me to truth, a truth that pertains to every aspect of my life.

And Courtney at GMG has an amazing discussion on chapter one today.  Join in the discussion there as well.  Are You a God-Fearing Woman?

Well my notes for today are rather long.  Don't feel obligated to give such detailed answers yourself.  You can just share one thing that stands out.  1 Peter just challenges me so deeply and get carried away. 

vs 1-2)
We are called and chosen by God for obedience
God called and chose us, yes us.  And he did it for a purpose, so that we would walk in obedience to Him

(vs 3)
His mercy gives us a new birth and new life.  Mercy is not giving someone the punishment they deserve.  We did not merit God giving us new birth and new life.  We are not such good people and so great that He did so.  No, in spite of our sinfulness God had great mercy on us by not giving us the judgment we deserve for the wickedness and corruption in our hearts.

(vs 5)
By God’s power we are being kept.  This word kept – is better translated “guarded.”  We are being guarded. Like a sentry standing guard, God guards our salvation.  Don’t lose heart when you sin and stray and get discouraged to give up and fall completely away because God is fighting for and guarding your salvation.

(vs 7)
The most valuable thing in this world or the next is our faith and for our faith to bring praise, glory and honor to Christ.  This should be our daily focus, how are we living in our time, priorities, what we value, what our heart desires, what we pursue, how we interact with others that will be praise, honor and glory to Christ?  Is this how we are living or are we living for our own desires, goals, priorities, selfish pride, or gain.

(vs 13-16)
“Gird up the loins” is translated in the ESV as “prepare your minds for action” Girding up the loins is what a soldier did to prepare for battle.  So it says to prepare our minds for action, get in the right frame of mind and get mentally prepared for the fight of holiness.

How? 
1) Set our hope on God’s grace.  Grace is unmerited favor.  The eternal blessing and salvation He gives us that we do not deserve and have not earned.  There was nothing we did and we did not earn this by our “goodness.”  God just freely reconciled us to Himself out of His goodness.
2) Set our hope or start desiring God’s grace that will be fully realized with the return of Christ. And yes, that means to stop desiring things of the world and earthly blessings.
3) Don’t walk in the pattern of what our flesh desires but walk in purity of mind, body, and attitude and motives.

(vs 17)
Fear God
He redeemed us with the very costly suffering and precious blood of a perfect Christ.  Christ left a perfect union with God in heaven and humbled himself to come to our sinful world and suffered.  This is not cheap grace but costly.  Fear God and don’t trample on the grace He purchased for us with His blood.  We were purchased by God and no longer belong to ourselves.  We belong to God and ought to be doing His work and not our own.

So I want to focus on preparing my mind for action and being holy and living in purity and obedience. 

And, yes, that is not easy.  Maybe why I love this book so much because he reminds me and calls me to this high purpose which is a daily struggle.

9/10/2014 7:39 pm  #2

Re: 1 Peter

I agree, taking in a chapter of Peter in one day is a challenging. I want to dig deeper and so much jumps out at me. Nevertheless, I was drawn to verse 8.

Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy

Though I have not seen with the outward eye, I feel his presence and that makes me rejoice. That makes me have joy that can not be taken from me.  That kind of joy that fills my heart simply because I know Jesus Christ. Not for what he does for me but because he is, he lives and he loves me unconditionally. I see him through my answered prayers, I see him in others, I can look back on my life and know that he carried me when I couldn't carry myself. God is always with me and listening to me.

9/10/2014 10:57 pm  #3

This was an amazing chapter but as you both said there is so so much to take in! A verse that really stood out to me was chapter 6-7

"In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith or greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire- may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed."

I like this because it reminds me that suffering and going through different trails in life is important. Through the tough times I should come closer to Christ, rely on him more and praise him through everything. 

9/11/2014 7:13 am  #4

NLWnMD wrote:

Though I have not seen with the outward eye, I feel his presence and that makes me rejoice. That makes me have joy that can not be taken from me. That kind of joy that fills my heart simply because I know Jesus Christ. Not for what he does for me but because he is, he lives and he loves me unconditionally. I see him through my answered prayers, I see him in others, I can look back on my life and know that he carried me when I couldn't carry myself. God is always with me and listening to me.

That is such a beautiful sentiment.  It almost brings tears to me.  Yes, to know the love and presence of God is really one of His greatest gifts to us.   What a beautiful thought.

Bre wrote:

I like this because it reminds me that suffering and going through different trails in life is important. Through the tough times I should come closer to Christ, rely on him more and praise him through everything.

That is important to remember that we need to use trials as an opportunity to draw closer to God.  I think sometimes that is what he intends in our trials.  But it is very hard in the middle of them and it is easy to get discouraged.  I guess that is why we need to prioritize the Word and prayer.

9/11/2014 7:24 am  #5

Chapter 2

Another pithy chapter.  It should almost be really in two parts. 

A War is Being Waged Against Our Purpose
I think the core of the first part of this chapter can be found in verse 11:
“Beloved, I urge you as sojourners and exiles to abstain from the passions of the flesh, which wage war against your soul.”

We are sojourners (just passing through) or aliens – not citizens of this world and we are exiles, or as other translations say, strangers, as if we were exiled from our real heavenly home and being held in a refugee camp.  This world is not what we are invested in.

But more importantly, is the next half of this verse.  Our fleshly desires are waging a war on our soul.  That is a powerful statement.  They are waging a war on our soul to destroy our purpose in serving God. 

So how then should be live? Well this leads me back to the first part of the chapter.

How Should We Live in Response to this War?
We should greatly desire and crave the Word of God (like an infant craves milk, they scream and holler and demand their desire for milk. They would do anything to get milk. 

Do we do that?  Go to any length to get a chance to get God’s Word?  Sadly I have not.  It is funny, when I get into a Bible study like this, I love it and I do start to feel like and I want to spend more and more time digging into the Word.  But once I let myself step away, the desire fades.  The more I study, the more I desire, the more I put off studying, the more I don’t desire to.

It reminds me of a saying that I have heard, “sin will keep you from the Bible or the Bible will keep you from sin.”  That is convicting.

At any rate, we are to crave God’s Word so that, for the purpose of, being built up spiritually in order to server before God and do Works that are acceptable and that are worshipful to Him and to offer the sacrifice of my life.

No again, I will tell you that is hard for me to offer my life as a sacrifice.  I can certainly offer behaviors, time, and money as a sacrifice.  But to really offer my life, my goals, my desires, and everything I want.  That is hard.  I think being in the Word continually will make that easier.

Our Behavior Influences the Salvation of Others
The last point is that we slander the name of Christ when we call ourselves Christian and do not walk in the Spirit.  Verse 12.  Lack of Christlikeness or bad behavior can be a barrier to people responding to God.  This is of eternal significance.  The lives of others hang in the balance.

So that is what I saw.  Some good stuff in the last half of the chapter.  But maybe I will post later.  This one is long enough. 

FYI: If you want to know how to format your post and attach images, etc. See this help page http://womenintheword.boardhost.com/help.php

You need to click the "source" button at the top to use the codes found on this help page.

Please note, in my browser the button next to the smiley face is blank.  But that is the video button to insert a YouTube video.

9/11/2014 9:36 am  #6

If you want a slightly interesting read, bear with me.  My journey would make a very interesting movie or novel. This is the condensed version.
Reading 1 Peter chapters 1 and 2 is like ointment to my soul.  It's like a song being sung and my sould dances to the rhythm of God's Word.  You yearn for more.
In 1Peter 1, verses 6 and 7 jump out at me.   As a Christian, I have been a pretty poor example of going through trial valiantly.  I think I'm still in the tail of my storm and I hope that this Bible study will project me like vomit from a big fish into some greener pastures for a while. If not physically, at least spiritually.
 Let me explain. . .
I had been feeling that my dh (dear husband) and I weren't on the same page spiritually for quite some time.  I felt like God wasn't talking to me any more.  I thought He wanted our family to go in one direction and it didn't work out.  The storm really started about November 2012, I had gone off of birth control pills for the last time.  My hormones and emotional state was out of wack.  I was disappointed in my dh leading, I couldn't find purpose and I was really bothered that I couldn't hear from God.   He keeps whispering wait, but I'm so impatient.  I was depressed.  I am a SAHM w/ 4 children.  My youngest is very emotionally draining to me and very demanding of my time and attention (yes she is just like me .  Anyway, to make a long story short: (God whispers. . . wait)
husband - March - head on car accident  - scary (thank God for seatbelts), June - heart stent (he's only 38 and physically fit), but he had damage to his heart from radiation ffor cancer that he had 15 years prior, he's had other health conditions  this last year - involving at least 6 other body parts.
son-hospitalized for illness in March ( no one came to hospital to visit and I was also sick while I was caring for him there)
sister - broke foot
mom- diagnosed with cancer  (is cancer free now) and  a heart condition
dad - had back surgery (his wife has also been diagnosed with cancer)
brother - tried to drink himself to death at my house while he was staying with us after Christmas - (even longer story)
 So I'm wilting and I'm not sure if God is holding me up - yet deep down I know He is. . .HE whispers - wait. 
So then my friends are starting to be hit this year (see the prayer request).  My pastor and his family are very dear to me. They are like family.  This pastor has given me (and our community) so much in spiritual growth. 

THEN - there is my own sin problems - Anger, Hate, Unfaithfulness, disgraceful behavior (10 commandments - yes I broke every one of them  in my thinking throughout the last year).  I have had a distraction to following God for over a year. I've had to give some things up because of this distraction.  I am trying very hard and have tried very hard to avoid this distraction.  It is something I will have to face and live with for at least the next 13 years of my life on a weekly or more basis.  It's like a drug that is in your face weekly that you can't have.  It's a sin that only 2 people know about - my dh and my pastor - because I needed to confess it.

There have been times where I have not been an ambassador for Christ.   It's like I forgot how and couldn't see the consequences of my actions / words.

I am so ashamed of all of this. Thank God for repentance and forgiveness.

He whispers. . . wait.

We've turned a corner.  God is helping me through this storm.  I don't know where He is taking me, but I do know that I am able to trust HIM again.

I thank God for His grace. 

My dh and I went for a walk the other night.  It wasn't raining when we started, then it started to sprinkle, then it was a nice shower, then it was almost a down pour when we got to about 3/4 of a mile back to our house (our entire route is close to 5 miles).  My dh said, "This isn't fun any more, I am cold."  I learned so much from that walk.  It's given me so much peace.   I wanted so badly to give up, but if I gave up - I wouldn't get home and I'd be stuck in my suffering.  

So keep on walking ladies.  As Courtney says, "Walk with the King."

He whispers. . . wait. . . BECAUSE I have something better in store for you.  Trust me.  

Psalm 30 is my praise for the day.

9/12/2014 6:02 am  #7

Sweetlight,

My heart breaks for all that you have been going through.  It is easy to criticize yourself for not having joy or acting as a good ambassador, but there is so much going on in your life.  It is beyond what a person can deal with in their flesh.  So give yourself grace and be patient as God works to change you.  It is more than you can do in your own strength.

I don't think there are any easy answers to the challenges facing you.  I just encourage you to maybe put down media and just spend an almost a continual time throughout the day in silent prayer, replaying a scripture in your mind (memorize some key scriptures) or a worship song in your mind.  Just rehearse the truth of God and try to make a conscious effort when your mind thinks the negative, stressful and painful thoughts to even if you don't feel it, just go through the actions or starting to pray, or rehearse scripture or a worship song.

I think you need to be more deliberate in asking for support from others as well.  I am guilty of allowing myself to be so busy that I don't make time to stop by and comfort others.  I guess we always feel, that someone else must be doing that or that the person is doing OK because they go to church.  This is a wake up call for all of us that we must, must prioritize reaching out to our hurting brothers and sisters. 

My brother and sister went through a difficult time and have not been to church for most of this year and no one from their church has reached out to them to see if they were OK and to see what is going on with them.  This is  so sad.  But maybe we just need to speak up and call them and say hey I'm having a difficult time I would love to get together to just talk and get some support.  Or, in the case of the hospital, just say, hey I am so sick could someone come by and sit with my son while I get a nap, or could someone bring by some soup and just sit with me.  Sad that we have to ask, but it is better than not getting the support we need.

It is so difficult when someone is going through the tough times that you are to feel like there is anything we can do to comfort them.  I feel like there is nothing I can do to reach out or encourage you because your challenges are so great right now.  Just know that I have truly been keeping you in prayer since I read this yesterday.  I just waiting until now to post a reply because I wanted to pray on it.  Know that I pray daily for our group and I will keep you in prayer daily.  My heart is with you sister.

9/12/2014 5:56 pm  #8

Chapter 3
Well what spoke to me was how often we criticize, control, and correct husbands.  And we may even be right, but is that really the way to treat another adult? Would we want our husbands treating us like that?  Then we wonder why they pull back emotionally.

I know it is hard because my husband does things that I think are objectively not what should be done.  But here is the thing, he is a grown man and I should respect him enough to back off.  I know that sometime the things our husbands do affect us also.  But it is not like we are going to change anything with control and correction of an adult.  This is an ongoing lesson that I am in the middle of. 

I can’t agree more that as women we need to be:
     1. Trying to develop a gentle and quiet spirit
     2. Letting Christ purify our hearts and attitudes towards everyone
     3. Live a life of purity, peace and reverence. 
I wonder how that would impact our husbands and those around us. 

This is not to say that we should not have respectful and adult conversations with a husband when there is something that is a big deal needs to be dealt with.  That is not what I am referring to. 

I am speaking to all those annoying things that we feel we need to fix. 

However, even in the big issues that need to be directly addressed, I would think that husbands would have a real desire to listen, change, and fix the problems if we first have a lived a life evidenced over extended time of purity, gentleness and reverence.

Now, anyone who knows me knows I am not gentle and quiet.  So, I don’t think this is referring to personality, but rather attitude.  Notice is says gentleness and quiet spirit not personality.  So, looking at what these words mean in the Greek:

Gentle - praus: mild, gentle, mild, i.e. (by implication) humble –
This difficult-to-translate root (pra-) means more than "meek." Biblical meekness is not weakness but rather refers to exercising God's strength under His control – i.e. demonstrating power without undue harshness.

The English term "meek" often lacks this blend – i.e. of gentleness (reserve) and strength.

So that being said, yes ladies, we can still be rambunctious, expressive and bubbly.  I think this verse is speaking  to not having that edge  - that tone of voice, that hardness or harshness about us. 

Sometimes for some women they feel they need to be tough while in the workplace and so if you have seen that you know what I am referring to.  Well, that is sometimes the attitude we can bring home to our husbands, family, and even friends especially if there is a lot of stress or lot that needs to be done.  We feel we need to take charge and get that harshness in our tone and attitude.

Quiet – hésuchios - quiet, tranquil, peaceful – not troubled, not agitated or anxious, at peace and calm in spirit.  So note, this I calm in spirit, not calm in how physically active or expressive you are, or speaking in a low volume. 

I got the greek translations from Stongs Concordance using this wonderful tool
http://biblehub.com/interlinear/1_peter/3.htm

Overall Attitude in All Relationships
vs 8. Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly love, a tender heart, and a humble mind. Do not repay evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary, bless, for to this you were called, that you may obtain a blessing.

Vs 10 -12 do we want good in our lives? 
- Keep our tongue from evil
- Don’t speak deceit;
- Turn away from evil (don’t involve ourselves in the garbage media that we let take over our mind
- Do good (actively do good not just not do bad)
- Pursue peace with others (aggressively chase, like a hunter pursuing a catch, actively try to make peace)

And the blessed promise: For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous,and his ears are open to their prayer. But the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.”

How can we effect this change in our lives?
By honoring Christ in our hearts – not our behavior, but if we honor him in our hearts the external behavior will come

Verse 15
But in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy (ESV)
But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts (NKJV)
But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord (NIV)

Sanctify – Hagiazó: make holy, sanctify, treat as holy, set apart as holy, hallow, purify, to make holy, consecrate, sanctify; to dedicate, separate

9/12/2014 6:58 pm  #9

TBG  Thanks for all the comments and the prayers.  You put it well.

As for the personality, I have to agree with you.  I too am usually not a quiet person.  My personality is quite bubbly.  

Meek - I need a larger portion.

I completely agree with you about the media.  It is so deceiving. During the summers we turn off the  TV for the most part (only watch if we have to work out when it rains).  

I have tried too often to correct my husband.  We are actually doing a Bible Study at church about Love and Respect.  I have a long way to go in the respect area.  

Again, thank you for all the comments.

9/12/2014 7:28 pm  #10

Chapter 4
hello Ladies:

I don't believe there's another book of the Bible that focuses on suffering and glory as much as First Peter. My reply relates to versus 8 through 12.

According to Peter, I should expect to suffer and I'm expected to repay even with blessings. I can honesty say this is not the way I have been thinking or totally living my life and this is a challenge. I realize now more than ever that I need to operate even more different from the world around me. I should never return evil for evil or insult for insult (v 9) but bless those that harm me. Well this is going to be a little, no a lot difficult as most of our first response is to defend our self and I'm guilty of that is some situations. But, I if I want to find the blessing of the Lord, this is how I am suppose to live my life. I am also suppose to keep my tongue free from evil and lips from guile (treachery, deceit) v. 10. This allowed me to reflect on changes I can make in my life.  While, I'm pretty disciplined with my lips and tongue, I think I need improvement and to live more like Christ in regard to my ears.  I need to also keep my ears from deceitful speech. Although it's not coming out of my mouth but from someone around me, I need to remove myself from the environment and play no part in the deceitful behavior of others.

Lord, help me to be focus  on being more compassionate of others situation and more humble. Help me control my tongue, ears and lips and life according to your will. Teach me how to have joy even in the midst of difficulties, deceit and harm. Help me seek peace and you Lord.

Last edited by NLWnMD (9/12/2014 7:28 pm)

Board footera