Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/17/2017 9:12 pm  #1

Psalms

Post your input below the introductory posts.

Psalms of David Relating to 1 Samuel

We will be reading 24 psalms thought to be written by David during the time and events narrated in the book of 1 Samuel.

I wanted to take a short break before we launch into 2 Samuel.

David wrote several Psalms during the times of his trials in 1 Samuel. I thought it would be a good idea to take a break and read 24 of those Psalms thought to be written by David during the time that 1 Samuel narrates.

I think reading the Psalms will provide a real time of refreshing for many of us. The Psalms speak the language of the heart and allow us to explore our emotions.

Emotions are good. God made us to be emotional. God made us in His image as beings that are rational (ability to reason), volitional (the ability to exercise will), and emotional. It is only the improper use of our emotions that can cause problems, but that is the case for every good gift we are given. Every aspect of our beings has proper and improper applications.

So, I want us to have a time a refreshing, a time to share our hearts with God, a time to express our worship, hope and joy, yes and even fears and hurts and anxieties in the face our trials and daily struggles.

Last edited by TBG (4/17/2017 9:18 pm)

4/17/2017 9:18 pm  #2

Re: Psalms

Introduction to Psalms

(Sorry about the quality I was not in a location where I could speak loudly and my voice is kind of spent from singing over the weekend at our services and lack of sleep!)

You can also download a podcast for your convenience.

The Psalms are poetry of the heart and explore human emotions such as pain, despair, fear, anxiety, as well as hope, faith, deliverance and trust in the midst of life.

The Psalms also offer some of the most beautiful hymns of worship to God ever penned. They were originally intended to be accompanied by music and indeed many current worship writers have written music to accompany the words of the Psalms.

It is difficult to group the Psalms into any logical category. One may group them by author or purpose, but there is no clear structure in the current arrangement of the book.

Authorship
The Psalms were written by various writers as inspired by the Holy Spirit. However, 73 of the 150 Psalms are attributed to David’s authorship. The superscriptions before each Psalm usually indicate authorship, but not always. They could mean for David, of David, belonging to David, or by David.

Poetry Style (from John MacArthur)
Hebrew poetry is not based on rhyme and meter, but on logical parallelism. The types of parallelism we will see in the Psalms are:

1) synonymous thought where the thought is restated with similar concepts
2) antithetic where thoughts are contrasted with previous statements
3) climatic where the thought continues to build on itself
4) patterns of thought such as A B B A patterns of concepts

Genre (from John MacArthur)
We see some clear genres in the Psalms
1) Wisdom with instruction for right living
2) lamentation dealing with hurts of life
3)Penitent dealing with internal sin
4) Messianic dealing with themes about coming Christ
5) Thanksgiving

Structure
Among the Hymns and Laments you can see some consistent structure.

Hymns
1) Call to praise
2) Brief reason for praise
3) Full expression of that reason

Laments
1) Personal address
2) Complaint
3) Petition (asking God to do something)
4) Expression of trust that God will act
5) Vow to praise God

Imprecatory Psalms
The imprecatory psalms are those where David calls down judgement on his enemies in harsh ways. How are we to interpret this?

John MacArthur notes that David is praying for judgment on his enemies since they are not just hurting him, but primarily hurting God’s people and thwarting God’s plans. They are not challenging David as king, but God’s plans.

Since scripture interprets scripture, we need to interpret these in light of Jesus. Jesus did not defend himself; He did not get angry when He was wronged. He only became angry when God was dishonored and when he was defending God’s holiness and purpose.

We can also reference the numerous verses about trusting God to fight our battles, and about forgiveness, grace, mercy, and anger.

Two Names of God
Another interesting side note, is that a commentary pointed out that Psalms 1-41 uses the name Yahweh when referring to God which is translated “the LORD.” But Psalms 42-72 use the world Elohiym translated “God.” I could not understand why the difference. After searching this is the best answer I came up with:

General Name
Elohiym is the general name for God and is used in the context of God as creator. It emphasizes that God is distant and powerful. It is used to describe God as the awesome and majestic creator. In our English Bibles, Elohiym is translated as God.

Personal Name
Yahweh (the LORD) is God's personal name and is used in the context of God having a relationship with His people. When God goes about creating humanity, it is Yahweh who does this act. When the Lord is personally involved with His people, Yahweh is the proper way to designate Him. In our English Bibles Yahweh is translated as the LORD with all capital letters.

So, note this when reading whether the author is emphasizing that special covenant relationship or the almighty God of all.

Last edited by TBG (4/17/2017 9:34 pm)

4/22/2017 8:46 pm  #3

Post your input below the introductory posts.
Week One Introduction 

Then David fled from Naioth in Ramah and came and said before Jonathan, "What have I done? What is my guilt? And what is my sin before your father, that he seeks my life?" 1 Samuel 20:1

This week we will be reading psalms thought to be written by David during the time period chronicles in 1 Samuel:18-22.

Here is some background of those events to assist us in understanding the psalms we will be reading.

Background
Saul was chosen by God as Israel’s first king. He was beautiful, tall, strong and fitting for a king. But, God eventually withdrew His presence, favor, and blessing from Saul because Saul was continually disobedient, selfish, prideful, and grasping to hold onto power. Saul elevated himself instead of elevating God. Instead of worshiping and acknowledging God, he would hold himself up before the people to be admired. He thought he accomplished his victories and failed to give God glory, praise, or thanks.

So, God told Saul that He was taking the kingdom away from him and giving it to another. God chose David, a humble youth whose heart was committed to God. (1 Samuel 15:28)

David finds great success as a warrior and Israel celebrates him. Saul become jealous because David is receiving more praise from the people than he is.

But, Saul also become afraid of David, afraid of losing his kingdom to David because he knows that David has been anointed as the next king. Saul also knows that God is with David, yet God’s presence has left Saul (1 Samuel 18:12.)

So, Saul is overcome by an evil spirit and starts trying to kill David. Saul sets people up to watch David’s house to find him and kill him. But, Jonathan, Saul’s son, loves David and warns him. So, David escapes with the help of his wife, Saul’s daughter.

David feels very strongly how wrongly he is being treated and pleads his innocence and the injustice of his situation.

"What have I done? What is my guilt? And what is my sin before your father, that he seeks my life?"
1 Samuel 20:1

4/22/2017 8:48 pm  #4

Week of April 24
This Week’s Reading Assignment

Post your input below this post.
S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.
Optional Study Guide: [url=https://1drv.ms/b/s!AoA8OEas8AsdgSP6mV62pAigFxTm]Psalms Week 1 Study Guide[/url]

Monday
Reading: Psalm 59
Verses of the Day:
But I will sing of your strength; I will sing aloud of your steadfast love in the morning. For you have been to me a fortress and a refuge in the day of my distress. O my Strength, I will sing praises to you, for you, O God, are my fortress, the God who shows me steadfast love. - Psalm 59:16-17

O my Strength, I will watch for you, for you, O God, are my fortress. - Psalm 59:9

Discussion Question: O my Strength, I will watch for you, for you, O God, are my fortress. (Psalm 59:9)
God was David’s fortress even in the middle of his trial while he was still experiencing his trials. How can God be our fortress even while we suffer or are in the middle of a battle?

Tuesday
Reading: Psalm 52
Verse of the Day: Psalm 52:8-9
But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God. I trust in the steadfast love of God forever and ever. I will thank you forever, because you have done it. I will wait for your name, for it is good, in the presence of the godly.

Discussion Question: David chose not to focus on his guild because he understood that regardless of mistakes he may have made, he was not in control of evil men. God is ultimately in control and we must just trust God to protect, provide, avenge, and execute justice.

Is there something you need to let go of guilt over? Share a time when you struggled with moving past guilt or a time that God helped you move past guilt.

Wednesday
Reading: Psalm 56
Verses of the Day:
This I know, that God is for me.  - Psalm 56:9b
For you have delivered my soul from death, yes, my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of life.  - Psalm 56:13

Discussion Question: How are you wrestling with or reconciling the belief that God will deliver you and trusting your life into His hands even when it may lead to suffering or when your life doesn't look like you expected it to?

Thursday
Reading: Psalm 34
Verses of the Day:
I will bless the LORD at all times; his praise shall continually be in my mouth. My soul makes its boast in the LORD; let the humble hear and be glad. – Psalm 34:1-2

The LORD is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit. – Psalm 34:18

Discussion Question:
Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him! (Psalm 34:8)

How has God proven His goodness to you in the past? What things can you recall that help give you confidence in His goodness?

How has God provided you with a place of refuge?

Friday
Reading: Psalm 7
Verse of the Day: Psalm 7:11
God is a righteous judge, and a God who feels indignation every day.
Discussion Question:
God is a righteous judge, and a God who feels indignation every day. – Psalm 7:11
What is the significance of point out that God is righteous and feel indignation? Look up the word “indignation.” How does this provide you with comfort and encouragement to persevere?

Last edited by TBG (4/22/2017 8:58 pm)

4/24/2017 7:06 am  #5

Psalm 59

S: 59: 16 But I will sing of your strength; I will sing aloud of your steadfast love in the morning. For you have been to me a fortress and a refuge in the day of my distress.
Psalm 59:9 O my Strength, I will watch for you, for you, O God, are my fortress.

O: That word watch, sometimes translated wait is to watch for, keep watch, wait for.

A: I should keep watch expectantly; expecting that God will protect me and guide me and look for His guidance and look to Him.

If God is powerful and He has unwavering and resolute love for me, then I should be at peace while I walk with patience and perseverance along any path He allows in my life. I know even if I can’t grasp what is happening or understand why that I can trust His goodness, His love and His actions.

K: Lord help me to wait for you with peace and joy. May I daily find myself peaceful and joyful as I cast aside anxieties and trust in Your great love for me.

Discussion Question
God was David’s fortress even in the middle of his trial while he was still experiencing his trials. How can God be our fortress even while we suffer or are in the middle of a battle?

I think prayer. I think of the verse Be still and know that I am God. I need to be still and wait expectantly for God to act. And like David I need to call upon God in prayer and ask Him to fight, to protect, and then trust whatever comes knowing that He loves me.

4/25/2017 11:53 am  #6

Psalm 59

S:
17: To You, O my Strength, I will sing praises, For God is my defense, My God of mercy.

O:  In God, the believer finds strength, defense and mercy. This psalm ends beautifully with bold faith in the living God.

A: When I am weak- I find Strength in God; When I need protection- God ALWAYS has by back (Defense); When I am undeserving- God grants Mercy.

K: Father, thank you for giving me strength to make it from day to day. Father when I feel helpless, too weak to think and fight through this depression you are my defense. Father when my mind wanders to the side of the enemy you don't give up on me...you continue to love me and grant mercy over my life. Father, I will continue to sing praises to your name.

Discussion Question: God was David's fortress even in the middle of his trial while he was still experiencing his trials. How can God be our fortress even while we suffer or are in the middle of a battle?

I keep remembering the verse Deuteronomy 31:6  -
Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." I know that no matter what I'm going through God is always with me. He will never put more on me than I can bear. I just have to keep the faith and know that he works on his own time  and not mines.

Last edited by cochrans (4/25/2017 1:20 pm)

4/25/2017 6:41 pm  #7

cochrans wrote:

Psalm 59

S:
17: To You, O my Strength, I will sing praises, For God is my defense, My God of mercy.

O:  In God, the believer finds strength, defense and mercy. This psalm ends beautifully with bold faith in the living God.

A: When I am weak- I find Strength in God; When I need protection- God ALWAYS has by back (Defense); When I am undeserving- God grants Mercy.

K: Father, thank you for giving me strength to make it from day to day. Father when I feel helpless, too weak to think and fight through this depression you are my defense. Father when my mind wanders to the side of the enemy you don't give up on me...you continue to love me and grant mercy over my life. Father, I will continue to sing praises to your name.

Beautifully stated.

4/25/2017 6:47 pm  #8

Psalm 52

52:7 "See the man who would not make God his refuge, but trusted in the abundance of his riches and sought refuge in his own destruction!"

O: The evil men did not run to God for help and comfort but relied on their own abilities and possessions and power and sought comfort in their destructive works.

A: What a rebuke for believers sometimes as well. Although we are redeemed from our sin nature are no longer “wicked” we can sometimes fall into this pattern of turning for help to our own abilities and power and seeking comfort in works that are displeasing to God.

Discussion Question: David chose not to focus on his guilt because he understood that regardless of mistakes he may have made, he was not in control of evil men. God is ultimately in control and we must just trust God to protect, provide, avenge, and execute justice.

Is there something you need to let go of guilt over? Share a time when you struggled with moving past guilt or a time that God helped you move past guilt.

I don’t know that I felt guilty, but I felt great pain and remorse in two different incidents with some foster kids.

In one instance, I did not realize what was going on with him psychologically (he was associating me with his mom and his being moved with his mother’s rejection again) and if I had known I could have done things differently and I think it resulted in the kid being very much hurt and I worried about the long-term effects on him emotionally.

In another incident, there was miscommunication between the worker and the kids and they thought they were staying with us and were crushed when they were picked up. I never can forget the looks on their faces. One of the most painful things I have experienced in my life. It happened last October but still cuts me and wets my eyes thinking about it. Oh, how I regret that we did not do a better job setting expectations with those precious little ones.

But could not hold this pain and hurt and I had to conclude that as much as I loved and cared for these kids, God really does love them much more, more deeply and more profoundly than I can even comprehend. I have no conception of the vast love that God has for them. And, if I am concerned but powerless to do anything, God cares and has all the power to touch them and heal them and protect them. So, I came to the place where I realized that I had to trust these kids to the hands of a good and loving God and trust God to care for them.

My friend shared a verse with me when I shared this with her a few months ago:
He will spare the poor and needy, And will save the souls of the needy. He will redeem their life from oppression and violence; And precious shall be their blood in His sight. Psalm 72:13-14

4/25/2017 11:31 pm  #9

Busy day today, and surgery didn't happen for my mom so my reading which I had planned to do while waiting didn't happen.  So hopefully tomorrow I will get caught up!  Good Night All!

4/26/2017 8:56 am  #10

Psalm 56
56:4 In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What can flesh do to me?

And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell. (Matthew 10:28)

This can be applied not to just trusting, but also hoping, and finding joy, identity and fulfillment in God. Don’t live to please or seek pleasure from other people, but seek to please and derive pleasure from God.

56:9 Then my enemies will turn back in the day when I call. This I know, that God is for me.
He points to a future event as if it is certain, yet he rests in the present tense confidence that God is for him.

56:13 For you have delivered my soul from death, yes, my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of life.

Have – present tense, as if it is a completed action even though it still has a future fulfillment. The purpose of this deliverance is so that he will walk before God in true understanding and real (spiritual and eternal) life.

God is working to deliver me, not to a temporal earthly cause, but to transform me into the perfect nature He intended for me when I am free from the contamination of sin.

But now He has reconciled you by Christ’s physical body through death to present you holy, unblemished, and blameless in His presence. Colossians 1:22

Discussion Question
How are you wrestling with or reconciling the belief that God will deliver you and trusting your life into His hands even when it may lead to suffering or when your life doesn't look like you expected it to?

By feeding on His Word and knowing that there is nothing on this earth that can hurt me when I am being preserved and conformed for God’s kingdom. By developing such a love of God through His Word and His presence in prayer that I develop a desire for only God’s kingdom purposes and die more and more to my desires so that my heart is transformed to want things of God and no longer love the world or self.

56:10-1 In God, whose word I praise, in the LORD, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What can man do to me?

Board footera