Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/05/2017 8:27 pm  #1

Week of May 8, 2017

Week of May 8
This Week’s Reading Assignment
The group discussion thread is under Bible Study » Psalms.
S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.
Optional Study Guide: [url=https://1drv.ms/b/s!AoA8OEas8AsdgSYDdJl-eyG0JvQR]Psalms Week 3 Study Guide[/url]

Monday
Reading: Psalm 31
Optional Study Guide: Monday
Verse of the Day: Psalm 31:23-24
Love the LORD, all you his saints! The LORD preserves the faithful but abundantly repays the one who acts in pride. Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the LORD!
Discussion Question:
In what ways have you found comfort in God when you feel broken or forgotten?

Tuesday
Reading: Psalm 35
Optional Study Guide: Tuesday
Verse of the Day: Psalm 35:28
Then my tongue shall tell of your righteousness and of your praise all the day long.
Discussion Question:
What does the New Testament teach us about forgiveness? Should we seek the destruction of our enemies and shown in the Psalms? If not, what should we desire for them? Why? What can you share about God’s grace and mercy in your life that should lead you to extend grace and mercy to others?

Wednesday
Reading: Psalm 140
Optional Study Guide: Wednesday
Verse of the Day: Psalm 140:13
Surely the righteous shall give thanks to your name; the upright shall dwell in your presence.
Discussion Question:
I know that the LORD will maintain the cause of the afflicted, and will execute justice for the needy. (Psalm 140:12). If we are to be about doing God’s work, in what way can we cooperate with Him in the purpose stated in this verse?

Thursday
Reading: Psalm 121
Optional Study Guide: Thursday
Verse of the Day: Psalm 121:2
My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth.
Discussion Question:
Why do you sometimes feel that God is not in control? What have you seen in your life that encourages you to remember that God is in control? What attributes of God encourage you to remember that He is in control?

Friday
Reading: Psalm 11
Optional Study Guide: Friday
Verse of the Day: Psalm 11:7
For the LORD is righteous; he loves righteous deeds; the upright shall behold his face.
Discussion Question:
In the NLT, verse 3 reads, “The foundations of law and order have collapsed. What can the righteous do?”. Does it sometimes feel like in our world the foundations of law and order have collapsed? What should our response be?

Last edited by TBG (5/09/2017 8:11 am)

5/05/2017 8:31 pm  #2

Re: Week of May 8, 2017

Monday: Psalm 31

Verse of the Day
Love the LORD, all you his saints! The LORD preserves the faithful but abundantly repays the one who acts in pride. Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the LORD! - Psalm 31:23-24

Study Questions
Read psalm 31.

In verse 3, why does God lead and guide David?

What does the phrase “for your name’s sake” mean?

Read verse 5. Commit means to give over or entrust. Redeemed means to ransom, obtain the release of a prisoner by making payment demanded.

This is the same phrase Jesus spoke in Luke 23:46 during His crucifixion.
Then Jesus, calling out with a loud voice, said, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit!" And having said this he breathed his last.

Explain this verse in your own words. What is the significance of the verse?
Into your hand I commit my spirit; you have redeemed me, O LORD, faithful God.

In verses 12-13 we see that David is in a dark place. Yet, in verse 14 he renews his statement of absolute trust in God. Do you feel like a broken vessel? Do you feel forgotten? Can you make verse 14 your prayer of hope, comfort, and healing?

Read verse 14. What relationship is God to him in verse 14? In whom does he trust in verse 14? In whose hands is David in verse 15?

Read verse 19. What does it mean to “fear” God? What is required to be a recipient of His goodness?

In verse 20, with what cover does God hide those who fear Him?
What more could we want than to be hidden in the presence of the almighty God of the universe?

SOAK any verse of your choosing

Discussion Question:
In what ways have you found comfort in God when you feel broken or forgotten?

5/05/2017 8:35 pm  #3

Tuesday: Psalm 35

Verse of the Day
Then my tongue shall tell of your righteousness and of your praise all the day long.
 - Psalm 35:28

Study Questions
Read psalm 35.
Who is David relying on to vindicate him?

Does he take matters into his own hands?

In verse 17, did God immediately rescue David? Did God immediately judge David’s persecutors?

Read verse 27. Do we believe this statement "Great is the LORD, who delights in the welfare of his servant?" If we did, how would it change how we deal with injustice when justice is slow in coming?

If we really have committed (entrusted) our lives and our souls to God, should we not trust our welfare to Him?

Discussion Question:
What does the New Testament teach us about forgiveness? Should we seek the destruction of our enemies and shown in the Psalms? If not, what should we desire for them? Why? What can you share about God’s grace and mercy in your life that should lead you to extend grace and mercy to others?

5/05/2017 8:37 pm  #4

Wednesday: Psalm 140

Verse of the Day
Surely the righteous shall give thanks to your name; the upright shall dwell in your presence. – Psalm 140:13

Study Questions
Read psalm 140.

Read verse 7. What does the phrase “strength of my salvation” mean?

What does it mean to say God has “covered my head in the day of battle?”

What does verse 12 tell you about God’s compassion and His concern for justice?

Discussion Question:
I know that the LORD will maintain the cause of the afflicted, and will execute justice for the needy. (Psalm 140:12). If we are to be about doing God’s work, in what way can we cooperate with Him in the purpose stated in this verse?

5/05/2017 8:39 pm  #5

Thursday: Psalm 121

Verse of the Day
My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth. -  Psalm 121:2

Study Questions
Read psalm 121.

Verse 2 states that the author’s help comes from the LORD. First, notice that this is the word Yahweh, the covenant, personal name for Israel’s God. What does this tell you about the degree of relationship between the writer and God?

What is the significance of adding the fact that the LORD made heaven and earth? What does this tell us about the ability of God to help and the efficacy of His help?

Read the psalm and list the reasons by one should have confidence in the fact that God really is in control.

Discussion Question:
Why do you sometimes feel that God is not in control? What have you seen in your life that encourages you to remember that God is in control? What attributes of God encourage you to remember that He is in control?

5/05/2017 8:42 pm  #6

Friday: Psalm 11

Verse of the Day
For the LORD is righteous; he loves righteous deeds; the upright shall behold his face.
 – Psalm 11:7

Study Questions
Read psalm 11.

In light of verse 3, why is it important for believers to try to strengthen and stabilize their societies? Does this also imply limitations in what humans can do to rescue a society? How can the foundations of society be rebuilt?

In verses 4 and 5, a better word for test is examine or to test for the purpose of proving, to prove. What does this mean that the LORD test all people; He tests the righteous but hates the wicked?

Discussion Question:
In the NLT, verse 3 reads, “The foundations of law and order have collapsed. What can the righteous do?”. Does it sometimes feel like in our world the foundations of law and order have collapsed? What should our response be?

Board footera