Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/02/2017 3:49 pm  #1

2 Samuel

Introduction to 2 Samuel
5 Minute Intro to 2 Samuel by the Bible Project
Refresher Intro to 1 Samuel
Graphical Overview of Samuel

Week of June 5
This Week’s Reading Assignment

Post your input below this post.
S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.

Monday
Reading: 2 Samuel 1
Verse of the Day: 2 Samuel 1:17
Optional GMG Discussion/ Personal Reflection Question: David felt deep sorrow over the death of Saul and Jonathan and he lamented.  One-third of the Psalms are lamentations. Have you learned to lament?

Much of a Christian’s prayer time consists of praise, confession, petitions and thanksgiving.  But God wants us to take our grief, sorrows and pain to him also. He knows of your suffering and losses – He is there for you when you cry.  Is there something that is hurting you today?  Take it to the Lord in prayer and write your lamentation below.

Tuesday
Reading: 2 Samuel 2
Verse of the Day: 2 Samuel 2:1
Optional GMG Discussion/ Personal Reflection Question: David constantly inquired of the Lord for direction.  He wanted to be right in the center of God’s will.

God has a plan for your life too. His will is that you obey Him. He will never lead you to disobedience of His Word.  But is there a decision for your life, that you need to inquire of the Lord about?  Ask Him now.

Remember God is for you.  If you are truly seeking His will, you can trust Him as He guides you.

Wednesday
Reading: 2 Samuel 3
Verse of the Day: 2 Samuel 3:1
Optional GMG Discussion/ Personal Reflection Question: In Israel’s history, Israel always prevailed when God was with them and they failed when God was not with them.  Saul’s house relied on human methods and strategies but David depended on God.  David prevailed.

Like David, we can overcome the giants in our life when we depend on the Lord. The more we depend on God, the stronger we become.  In what area of your life do you need to stop strategizing and start depending on God?

Thursday
Reading: 2 Samuel 4
Verse of the Day: 2 Samuel 4:9
Optional GMG Discussion/ Personal Reflection Question: 2 brothers sought to be rewarded by David, for murdering the son of Saul.  Rather than being rewarded, they were punished by being put to death.  David brought swift justice showing his loyalty to both God and Saul’s house. 

The 2 brothers in this story thought they were doing good.  They thought David would be pleased and perhaps that they would be closer to David as a result.  But they were wrong.  Have you ever used gossip – which harms another – in hopes of building a deeper relationship with a friend? In what ways is it harmful and how can you be on guard against this temptation in your life?

Friday
Reading: 2 Samuel 5
Verse of the Day: 2 Samuel 5:10
Optional GMG Discussion/ Personal Reflection Question: David did not start out great.  He went through many trials and difficulties, as God prepared him for his role as King.  David became great because the Lord, the God of hosts, was with him.

Very few are overnight successes.  There is a price for greatness and it often includes pain and difficulty, as God prepares us for the role he has for us. What difficulty have you been through, that you know God allowed to happen to you, to prepare you or strengthen you, for something greater?

Last edited by TBG (6/11/2017 9:00 pm)

6/05/2017 7:14 am  #2

Re: 2 Samuel

2 Samuel 1

2 Samuel 1:12 And they mourned and wept and fasted until evening for Saul and for Jonathan his son and for the people of the LORD and for the house of Israel, because they had fallen by the sword.

1) Mourned for Saul
David mourned for Saul who tried to kill him. Saul also betrayed David’s faithfulness and kindness.

This was forgiveness, sure, but this was more. David knew that God had ordained Saul and that God would choose when to end Saul’s reign. David wanted what God chose more than anything else. So, although Saul tried to kill him, took his wife and everything he had, betrayed his loyalty and humility, David was still more concerned with fulfilling God’s purpose than defending himself or his own wrong treatment.

David mourned when God’s purposes were impeded. He mourned that more than he mourned for his circumstance or thought of himself.

2) Mourned for Jonathan
David was not bitter that his dear friend died. He did not blame God for not protecting Jonathan. He mourned the loss of his loved one, yes, but he was not bitter or angry.

He trusted and submitted to all God allowed to happen.

3) People of Yahweh
He mourned for God’s special people and for what was chosen and special to God. God’s people were experiencing disruption, difficulty, and less than God’s best for them in this whole situation.

David loved who God loved.

4) the house of Israel – David loved his community and his brothers

4 Lessons I Learned Summarized
1. David wanted what God wanted.
2. David trusted and submitted to all God allowed to happen
3. David loved who God loved
4. David loved his community and his brothers

Does it break my heat to impede what God is trying to do? Do I care for the kingdom more than I care for myself? Do I trust and submit to God even in heartbreak and pain? Do I love who God loves, even when I can’t relate to them or they are difficult to love? Do I show love in my actions and priorities towards my community?

NOTE from Mathew Henry
Seeing how David mourned for Saul should give insight into the imprecatory Psalms where David ask God to destroy his enemies. Those psalms show a holy zeal for the glory of God and the public good. He must not have been just wishing for personal vengeance or he would have been celebrating or expressing feelings of vindication, not mourning.

6/06/2017 6:53 am  #3

2 Samuel 2

2 Samuel 2:1 After this David inquired of the LORD, "Shall I go up into any of the cities of Judah?" And the LORD said to him, "Go up." David said, "To which shall I go up?" And he said, "To Hebron."

David did not presume and just act impulsively. He could have said, “God said I would be king, so now must be the time, I am going to go claim my throne.” Or, he could have said, “Now that Saul is not trying to kill me, I am going to go back to Judah.”

These would be reasonable statements, and they are not immoral or against any Biblical principle. There is nothing wrong with either of those actions. But instead of acting in his own understanding, David inquired for God’s direction.

He then goes further and asks, “to which shall I go?” He went back to God to get clarity and specific instruction on what God wanted.

Sometimes I think even before things that are obvious, we need to stop and inquire of God. Now again, God made a unique covenant with David. So, this passage is not prescriptive; it does not prescribe our actions or how God works towards us. It is descriptive; it described what happened in this specific historical narrative.

But, this is a good principle for us that we should be inquiring of God before we act. We should seek to know specifically what God wants of us. It is not normative that He will necessarily clearly direct us in all decisions like He did David. He has already laid out key principles in His Word and that combined with wisdom and prayer should help us make decisions. But it is good to pray and have a soft and open heart to hear if God is not directing you in a particular way. And we should not presume upon Him but ask Him for His direction and will.

6/07/2017 8:00 am  #4

2 Samuel 3

2 Samuel 3:1 There was a long war between the house of Saul and the house of David. And David grew stronger and stronger, while the house of Saul became weaker and weaker.

God had already (past tense) given the kingdom to David. Samuel said to Saul in 1 Samuel 15:28, “The LORD has torn the kingdom of Israel from you this day and has given it to a neighbor of yours, who is better than you.

It was an accomplished fact. But David still had to endure a battle to see that fact actualized or manifest. It took great effort, hardship, and faith on David’s part. It was not just handed to him.

Even when God plans to bring something about in our lives, it may not always be easy. It may not always just be given to us. It may take a battle where we need to fight and push through adversity to get there.

This is especially true with spiritual growth. It is in the adversity that our character is refined and our maturity grows stronger. The battle itself is God’s gift to bring us into deeper intimacy and to free our spirits to experience His presence, mind, and heart.

2 Samuel 3:9-10 God do so to Abner and more also, if I do not accomplish for David what the LORD has sworn to him, to transfer the kingdom from the house of Saul and set up the throne of David over Israel and over Judah, from Dan to Beersheba.

So, Abner knew he was acting against God’s decree the entire time. Did he think he could frustrate or prevent God’s decree? Who would work directly against God and God’s will? That is terrifying and bold.

Again, it is the sin of Satan himself – I will set myself up against God and lift myself to power and rule.

It is also the same sin we see today among unbelievers, and yes, even sometime among believers. We want to rule and make the decisions about our lives and won’t submit to God’s plans but set ourselves up against what God wills.

2 Samuel 3:18 Now then bring it about, for the LORD has promised David, saying, 'By the hand of my servant David I will save my people Israel from the hand of the Philistines, and from the hand of all their enemies.'"

“My servant” David was God’s chosen instrument even though he was greatly flawed. Even though I am flawed I can be used as an instrument of God.

6/08/2017 9:34 am  #5

2 Samuel 1

S  Verse 12- And they mourned and wept and fasted until evening for Saul and for Jonathan his son, for the people of the Lord and for the house of Israel, because they had fallen by the sword.

O  David and his people mourned not only for the fallen king and prince, but also for those who had died from the ranks of Saul's army. This is unusual for it was the same army that had been attempting to capture and kill David. He did not see them as enemies but as members of God's family.

A  How often do we look past our enemies imperfections and share their emotions? We often don't...However, as God;s children we are to love them as God loves them. When a foe falls we don't rejoice in their demise...we lift them up, pray for them, help where we can. If we are TRULY GOD's children then we will SHOW that we are his children... in spite of how we're treated. David showed exemplary love.

K  Father, I pray that as I grow in this season, you will continue to show your love for others through me. Father, help me to take the plank out of my eye to see my faults before I judge others on their faults. Father, help me to look pass the outside appearance. Father strengthen me as I go out to do your work with ALL of our people, 

Much of a Christian’s prayer time consists of praise, confession, petitions and thanksgiving.  But God wants us to take our grief, sorrows and pain to him also. He knows of your suffering and losses – He is there for you when you cry.  Is there something that is hurting you today?  Take it to the Lord in prayer and write your lamentation below.

Father, I'm crying out to you to heal me spiritually. My heart knows what is required and expected but I struggle DAILY with my head. Father, you know what I stand in the need of. Father, you know that my Mother is gravely ill. Father, I know she will get healed either here or with you in heaven. I just ask that you slow my mind down. Help me to keep my eyes focused on you and not the world. For I know you have ALL of the troubles in your hands and are taking care of them as needed. Father, I'm so tired, but I know I haven't' come this far without you. Continue to hold my family in your arms. Cradle my Mother Father, give us a PEACE of understanding. Comfort me and my family. Let our experiences continue to draw us to you. I need you now more than ever. I know you are by my side and will never leave me.

Last edited by cochrans (6/08/2017 9:38 am)

6/08/2017 4:49 pm  #6

2 Samuel 4

4:1 When Ish-bosheth, Saul's son, heard that Abner had died at Hebron, his courage failed, and all Israel was dismayed.

Ish-bosheth was relying on Abner, not God. He knew in 3:9 that God had ordained David to be king. Yet, he tried to trust the power of another person to go against God’s will.

He must have really thought he could go against God’s will because it says when Abner died, he lost heart; he felt his cause was hopeless. That means with Abner, he thought he had a chance.

Israel was also looking to Abner as their source and strength and not looking to God.

4:9 But David answered Rechab and Baanah his brother, the sons of Rimmon the Beerothite, "As the LORD lives, who has redeemed my life out of every adversity,

David was not relying on men or the strength of men, or even his own strength to deliver him. David relied on God. He did not need the blood-thirsty to get vengeance.

Applications

Do I try to go against God’s will even in the little things? “I don’t feel like xx, I am tired, I want to do something else, I need to get stuff done.”

I need not be anxious for things of this world.

Do I ask God for His direction and joyfully follow it regardless of my desires, feelings, or physical strength?

My desires should be what God desires and what will honor God and I can trust God to give me the physical strength for what He has called me to.

I also need to make choices to be healthy and rested and to manage my time so that I am available to be used by God. I need to be looking, anticipating, and ready to be of service to my Master, Jehovah, my covenant God.

I need to order and prioritize my life for His service.

6/08/2017 5:10 pm  #7

cochrans wrote:

A  How often do we look past our enemies imperfections and share their emotions? We often don't...However, as God;s children we are to love them as God loves them. When a foe falls we don't rejoice in their demise...we lift them up, pray for them, help where we can. If we are TRULY GOD's children then we will SHOW that we are his children... in spite of how we're treated. David showed exemplary love.

K  Father, I pray that as I grow in this season, you will continue to show your love for others through me. Father, help me to take the plank out of my eye to see my faults before I judge others on their faults. Father, help me to look pass the outside appearance. Father strengthen me as I go out to do your work with ALL of our people,

Amen, this is timely for me. Not so much enemies, but people who are annoying me right now and acting in a way I really don't agree with. I need to keep a soft, gracious heart to them remembering we all have imperfections.

6/11/2017 7:07 pm  #8

Week of June 11
This Week’s Reading Assignment

Post your input below this post.
S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.

Monday
Reading: 2 Samuel 6
Verse of the Day: 2 Samuel 6:16
Optional GMG Discussion/ Personal Reflection Question: David danced before the Lord. This showed David’s genuine emotion and heartfelt worship of God. He was not ashamed to publicly exalt God.

When you worship, do you show emotion or do you repress it in fear of what others might think or say about you? We don’t think much of a football player dancing when he makes a touchdown or raising our hands in celebration when our child makes a goal. Do you struggle to express yourself in genuine worship or do you feel free to lift your voice and hands in praise?

Tuesday
Reading: 2 Samuel 7
Verse of the Day: 2 Samuel 7:22
Optional GMG Discussion/ Personal Reflection Question: David did not see himself as great but rather he saw God as great. More than 10 times in this passage, David calls himself a servant. David had a heart of humility and he longed to do more for God.

Sometimes, due to our own selfishness, we can be tempted to do as little as possible for God. David had a heart that was willing to go above and beyond because he saw God’s greatness. Sit and ponder for a moment on the greatness of God. List 5 ways that God is great and one way that you can show God a humble servant’s heart.

Wednesday
Reading: 2 Samuel 8
Verse of the Day: 2 Samuel 8:14
Optional GMG Discussion/ Personal Reflection Question: David is generally known as the greatest King of Israel because of the victories and prosperity that Israel experienced, during David’s reign. God wanted to reign in the life of Saul but Saul rejected God. Because David had a heart after God, God was able to use him and bless his people through him.

Can you recall a time in your life when you were like Saul and you resisted the Lord? Can you now see the blessings you missed out on? How can you fully surrender to God now, so that he is able to more fully use you to be a blessing to others around you?

Thursday
Reading: 2 Samuel 9
Verse of the Day: 2 Samuel 9:11
Optional GMG Discussion/ Personal Reflection Question: The picture of David inviting Mephibosheth to dine at his table, is a beautiful picture of grace. Mephibosheth was in hiding, fearful that he’d be put to death because he was a descendant of Saul. Instead, he was blessed.

David gives us a pattern of serving others in this passage. Who can you seek out to bless? Is there someone undeserving, who is weak, poor, and hidden, who you can show the kindness of God to? Follow David’s example. Be a blessing to someone who is undeserving today.

Friday
Reading: 2 Samuel 10
Verse of the Day: 2 Samuel 10:12
Optional GMG Discussion/ Personal Reflection Question: Joab called on his people to have strength and courage as they went into battle. He wisely trusted in God for the outcome, while simultaneously working hard for the victory.

Courage is a choice. Is there a battle you are fighting, that requires courage and strength? This is your call to courage. May the Lord fight your battle, as you step up courageously and face whatever the Lord is calling you to.

6/11/2017 8:55 pm  #9

2 Samuel 5

Scripture 5:2 In times past, when Saul was king over us, it was you who led out and brought in Israel. And the LORD said to you, 'You shall be shepherd of my people Israel, and you shall be prince over Israel.'"

They gave David credit for always leading them and acknowledged that God had selected David as king. 3:17 says that the elders had “been seeking David as king” over them.

So, I wonder why they did not immediately do what was right and go t David to crown him king? Did they fear Abner? Or was Abner’s strength of leadership and charisma so great that their hearts turned and they started following him instead of God? Lastly, did they just feel they could not buck tradition in passing over Saul’s son? A misplaced loyalty?

Regardless of the reason, they fact is that although they knew to obey and apparently desired the same outcome, they were unwilling or did not do what was right.

What are the reasons we don’t do what we know is right? Where are we or when don’t we cooperate with God’s will? When don’t’ we work or take actions to bring about His kingdom goals and His will? Or, do we have an apathetic attitude and ignore God’s decrees?

6/12/2017 10:02 am  #10

Week One Devotional
2 Samuel 1-5

Ok, so I wasn't going to post this. I figured that I would not have time to do a devotion each week, so why start. But I was studying this week, this just kept coming back to me and I kept seeing other things I want to share in the devotion this week. So, I guess I should not have tried to out-think God and just posted what He put on my heart and let Him figure out the future post or not. At any rate, here is the devotional and I hope that it is helpful to your spiritual growth.

Fighting the Good Fight of the Faith 
Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called and about which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses. 1 Timothy 6:12 

Podcast: Fighting the Good Fight of the Faith

There was a long war between the house of Saul and the house of David. And David grew stronger and stronger, while the house of Saul became weaker and weaker. 2 Samuel 3:1

We see again as we saw in Joshua that God had already (past tense) given the kingdom to David. Samuel said to Saul in 1 Samuel 15:28, “The LORD has torn the kingdom of Israel from you this day and has given it to a neighbor of yours, who is better than you.

It was an accomplished fact, yet, it was not yet realized or manifest. David still had to endure a battle to see that fact actualized or to see the manifestation of this promise. It took great effort, hardship, and faith on David’s part. It was not just handed to him.

Even when God plans to bring something about in our lives, it may not always be easy. It may not always just be given to us. It may take a battle where we need to fight and push through adversity to get there.

God has promised us many things, peace, joy, or that we would be transformed and conformed into His image. He has, past tense, freed us from the power of sin. But, this does not mean that we won’t have to go through adversity to receive these promises, or that it won’t take great effort on our part, or that we won’t have to fight.

This is especially true with spiritual growth and a life of holiness. It takes great effort on our part to endure the sometimes painful process of being conformed to the image of Christ. It takes great battles and fierce fighting for us to live in our freedom from bondage to sin.

Paul explains that he lived his life well because he “fought the good fight.” (2 Timothy 4:7). 2 Corinthians 10:3 says we are waging a war. Ephesians 6:12-13 tells us that we are in a spiritual battle against the forces of evil and that we must take up the armor of God to stand.

It is in the adversity that our character is refined and our maturity grows stronger. The battle itself is God’s gift to bring us into deeper intimacy and to free our spirits to experience His presence, mind, and heart.

Do we believe that? Do we really believe we are in a spiritual battle? Do we live like we believe that?

If I am in a battle, I would want to be prepared and alert, ready to defend myself against the attack of the enemy or looking for an opportunity to attack the enemy and gain ground.

We are in a battle for our minds! We must stay focused on God’s purposes and be working for God’s kingdom.

2 Timothy 2:4 reads, “No soldier gets entangled in civilian pursuits, since his aim is to please the one who enlisted him.”

We must be passionate about God’s kingdom, and love what God loves as we saw with David in 2 Samuel 1. We must put our efforts, our heart and our focus on His kingdom and not get entangled and distracted by the things of this world or our agenda.

What things are entangling you and preventing you from focusing on fighting for God’s kingdom and pursuing His purposes?

Last edited by TBG (6/12/2017 1:58 pm)

Board footera