Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/10/2017 6:46 pm  #1

Romans

Introduction to Romans
8 Minute Intro to Romans Video by the Bible Project
Graphical Overview of Romans (printable poster)

Complete Reading Plan

Last edited by TBG (7/10/2017 6:51 pm)

7/10/2017 6:57 pm  #2

Re: Romans

Week One, July 17
This Week’s Reading Assignment

Post your input below this post.
S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.

I have broken the reading down by day based on key points in the scripture.
You can read it in one day, several days, or follow the reading plan.

Stop by the forum at least once this week and post your input, what verse stood out to you, or your discussion question response.

Reading Schedule
Monday: 1:1-7 (Introduction)
Tuesday: 1:8-15 (Introduction)
Wednesday: 1:16-17 (Theme) 

CONDEMNATION: THE NEED FOR GOD’S RIGHTEOUSNESS
Thursday: 1:18-23 (Unrighteous Gentiles)
Friday: 1:24-32 (Unrighteous Gentiles)

Verse of the Week
For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. (Romans 1:16) 

Discussion Question
Describe a time when you were ashamed to admit or share your faith with someone. How do you wish you had handled that situation differently?

7/17/2017 9:01 pm  #3

I haven't done my SOAK yet, however  I did want to pop in and share my thoughts on the Discussion Question.

Since coming back to Christ and leaving the Catholic Church I've had a hard time with sharing my faith with my family, as they are all "Catholics"  though not active in their faith.  Nothing against the Catholic Church it just wasn't a good fit for me.  So  I just never said anything about it, I wish I would have been more open about it.  Now I don't shy away from it and my boss and I at work will talk about it lunch etc.    It took one co-worker of mine who unfortunately doesn't work their anymore who helped me open up about my faith.  I still have problems staring however I have no problem openly admitting I am a Christian.  Easier for me to say it to strangers but not people I know as I fear being judged and rejected.  More and more its starting to not matter wether or not I am or not.    

7/18/2017 9:12 pm  #4

Mondays SOAK

S: Through him and for his name's sake, we received grace and apostleship to call people from among all the Gentiles to the obedience that comes from faith.   Romans 1:5  (in bible have this underlined and in the margin I say WOW)
O: Through Jesus we receive grade and we are to share and bring others to obedience that comes from faith.
A:  I need to remember that grace obtained through Jesus and I have a calling to go out and share the good news with other non-believers, brining them to know him.
K:  Lord I thank you for the grace you have given me though Im not worthy, help me to share your Good News with others bringing them to you.

7/18/2017 9:23 pm  #5

Tuesdays SOAK

S: that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other. (Romans 1:12)
O: by being together with other believers we can build each other up and encourage each other
A: we are meant to be in community, being with others helps build each other up when things are tough etc.
K:  Lord I thank you for the gift of community, and for various ways to connect with people.  Help me to remember that I have a community to turn to when Satan is trying to gain control of my mind, and shake my faith.

7/21/2017 1:10 pm  #6

KimberlyP77 wrote:

I haven't done my SOAK yet, however  I did want to pop in and share my thoughts on the Discussion Question.

Since coming back to Christ and leaving the Catholic Church I've had a hard time with sharing my faith with my family, as they are all "Catholics"  though not active in their faith.  Nothing against the Catholic Church it just wasn't a good fit for me.  So  I just never said anything about it, I wish I would have been more open about it.  Now I don't shy away from it and my boss and I at work will talk about it lunch etc.    It took one co-worker of mine who unfortunately doesn't work their anymore who helped me open up about my faith.  I still have problems staring however I have no problem openly admitting I am a Christian.  Easier for me to say it to strangers but not people I know as I fear being judged and rejected.  More and more its starting to not matter wether or not I am or not.    

Thanks for sharing that. I think my problem is that I can so focus on the fact that I want them to come to faith that that becomes the only purpose of the relationship and I am always just looking for an opportunity to explain the gospel or why they need the Christ or that they need to pursue God to have peace about the challenges in their lives.

Now, it is not wrong to look for opportunities to share the gospel and to share Christ, but I am not just really being their friend or having real relationship with these family members. I am just waiting for an opportunity to "lecture" and not really pursuing relationship and just caring about them, their live, their hearts.

So, this is something I have been working on. God will have to work through the power of His Spirit to prepare hearts and change lives. I should be prepared and willing to be used by God is sharing His message but I must wait and let Him work and meanwhile pursue love of others so that they can see the love of God through my love.

7/21/2017 1:14 pm  #7

KimberlyP77 wrote:

Mondays SOAK

S: Through him and for his name's sake, we received grace and apostleship to call people from among all the Gentiles to the obedience that comes from faith.   Romans 1:5  (in bible have this underlined and in the margin I say WOW)
O: Through Jesus we receive grade and we are to share and bring others to obedience that comes from faith.
A:  I need to remember that grace obtained through Jesus and I have a calling to go out and share the good news with other non-believers, brining them to know him.
K:  Lord I thank you for the grace you have given me though Im not worthy, help me to share your Good News with others bringing them to you.

What blows me away about this verse is that God calls us to apostleship! I looked up that word and it means one sent, one sent of a mission. So you are so right, we are sent on a mission to declare the gospel to bring about the obedience of faith. Beautifully written.

7/21/2017 1:39 pm  #8

I have been traveling to a bridal shower and wedding! So, I have been spending time with family and friends and have not had a chance to jump on here yet this week.

There is so much in Chapter 1. I saved the meat for the devotional podcast I will post in a moment. But what hit me personally the most was verse 1.

This has always been a throw away verse for me in the past as I drilled down to the "meat" of the passage.

1:1  Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God,

O: He was set apart from the world for the purpose of sharing this gospel message.

Verse 5 says that we too have taken hold of apostleship. When I looked up the word "apostleship" in this passage it means one sent on a mission.

A: When I thought about the fact that we are to be set apart for our mission it made me think that I really need to discipline my life so I can fulfill my mission.

1 Corinthians 9:24-27
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.

Athletes discipline their bodies the entire lives in all areas (food, fun, mind, relationships) to that they can receive a temporary reward or a win that will only last one year or less sometimes.

We need to discipline ourselves in all things (food, exercise, mind, activities, leisure, relationships, desires, physical needs) so that we can win an eternal, nonperishable prize.

And we do not run aimlessly, with not hope or purpose. We run purposely, hopefully and focused on God's goal for us. And so we submit all things to be subject to Christ.

7/21/2017 2:01 pm  #9

Week One Devotion, Chapter One

I had to do two podcast because the information in this chapter is just too rich.

Podcast (8 minutes): The Gospel is the Power of GodDirect MP3 Download
Podcast (10 minutes): The Wrath of GodDirect MP3 Download

7/24/2017 11:11 am  #10

Week Two, July 24
This Week’s Reading Assignment

Post your input below this post.
S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.

I have broken the reading down by day based on key points in the scripture.
You can read it in one day, several days, or follow the reading plan.

Stop by the forum at least once this week and post your input, what verse stood out to you, or your discussion question response.

Reading Schedule
Condemnation: The Need for God’s Righteousness - Unrighteous Jews
Monday: 2:1-3
Tuesday: 2:4-5
Wednesday: 2:6-11
Thursday: 2:12-24
Friday: 2:25-29

Verse of the Week
Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness is intended to lead you to repentance? (Romans 2:4) 

Discussion Question
The kindness of God is meant to lead us to repentance. How has God’s kindness led you to repentance? And who can you be kind to today in hopes of leading them to repentance?

Last edited by TBG (7/30/2017 4:33 pm)

Board footera