Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/10/2016 6:01 pm  #21

Re: Job

RaneeS wrote:

Hi I'm Ranee,  I thought I would prefer to try this on a forum verses facebook.  Trying to get away from FB but I still need the interaction of people to do a bible study as a new beginner.  I was in a good group through the book of Numbers but I felt they were very advanced college level and I'm just in K. LOL So I primarily read my lessons in Numbers.  I'm going to try and get back on track soaking as well as reading.

My main observations have been primarily on why God let Satan goad him.  God didn't have to prove anything to Satan.  I'm not sure why he didn't just tell Satan to buzz off.  And I know there is a lesson in all of this of course but I felt sadness that God took away Job's children/family to prove this point to Satan.

Hi, Ranee!  So glad you are here and digging in to God's word with us!  I can understand how you feel about the suffering that Job went through. I thought I'd offer some more thoughts to add to what the others shared...

For me, I see a Father who knows His son so intimately that no matter what happens, He is confident His son will still love Him and turn to Him.  I see a Father who is proud of who His son is – so much so, that He wanted everyone to know – even the adversary. 

When Satan said that Job would turn away if God removed the hedge of protection around him, I don’t think God was proving anything to Satan so much as proving that that His word is true, that His son was who He said he was – to Job himself, to Satan, to all who knew him, and to all would hear his story (like us!). 

It IS sad that Job suffered tremendously because of Satan’s actions (God was not the one who took away his family).  But his willingness to continue to worship and love God through it all has helped an untold number of people (me included!) to know God better, to gain an understanding that there is a spiritual world that we cannot see, to understand that not every tragedy in life is due to sin, to grow in their faith, to see a picture of Jesus Christ, and to see that, no matter what life brings, we need to worship our God.

Though Job’s loss here on earth was huge for a season, God again blessed him in his life on earth - and will continue to bless him throughout eternity.

Because of Job, we can know that God's word is true. We can know that we are who God says we are -- His image, His children, born of Him, loved, new creations, kings, priests, conquerors... and He has ALL the "bragging rights"! 

1/11/2016 9:43 am  #22

esuzannah wrote:

RaneeS wrote:

Hi I'm Ranee,  I thought I would prefer to try this on a forum verses facebook.  Trying to get away from FB but I still need the interaction of people to do a bible study as a new beginner.  I was in a good group through the book of Numbers but I felt they were very advanced college level and I'm just in K. LOL So I primarily read my lessons in Numbers.  I'm going to try and get back on track soaking as well as reading.

My main observations have been primarily on why God let Satan goad him.  God didn't have to prove anything to Satan.  I'm not sure why he didn't just tell Satan to buzz off.  And I know there is a lesson in all of this of course but I felt sadness that God took away Job's children/family to prove this point to Satan.

Welcome Ranee, so happy to have you here! I came here for the same reason-need to try not to spend too much time on Facebook!

I have been sitting thinking about your comments. I also find it very sad. True, God had nothing to prove to Satan and He certainly could have told him to buzz of.....but God does have something to prove to us, doesn't He? When I read the stories of the Bible I often think wow- what a gift that we can learn from these people that lived before us. It is very sad that Job was tempted but God knew that he would stay strong and Job's reward was so much greater then what he had before. So I may be wrong but I can of see this as an expression of God's love for us. He wants us to learn too and he wants to bless us through our sufferings. He also wants to be glorified.
Another thought I had was Wow, Satan really has no power- He is chained. Imagine what he would do to us if he could? God is protecting us from him, in this very moment He is protecting us. I can see in this story His great love for us.

I finally remembered my login information, but I am still without my computer, so bear with me as I type on my phone.

But, wow that was powerful Lori. I especially liked how you pointed out that God was proving to Job the sincerity and strength of his own faith and strengthening his reliance on and relationship with God.

1/11/2016 9:59 am  #23

I remembered my login, so I am back posting under TBG. But still without my computer, so I am on my phone.

Job 6

Job 6:11 What is my strength, that I should wait?And what is my end, that I should be patient?

In his deep pain he felt there was no reason for him to patiently endure the suffering. He still felt like he would rather just die.

Job did not understand that to be patient would be to grow and strengthen his character and therefore allow him to have greater intimacy with God

Romans 5:3-4 And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.

Job 6:24 “Teach me, and I will be silent;make me understand how I have gone astray.

He is telling his friends that if they are so sure that he has done something wrong, he is listening to hear them try to explain that.

Proverbs says to seek wise council and there is wisdom in the council of many wise people. But, reading this reminds me of how poorly things can go when we think we know what we are talking about and are so very wrong because we don't have all the pertinent facts. We must be very cautious and prayerful in the advice we offer.

1/12/2016 11:42 am  #24

Job 7

Job 7:2-3 Like a slave longing for the evening shadows, or a hired man waiting eagerly for his wages, so I have been allotted months of futility, and nights of misery have been assigned to me.

Sometimes I think we think of our relationship with God like this, like we are waiting to get paid for our good works. We may think, "I have lived a good life and I have tried to do right; God should bless me.” This inevitably leads to bitterness if we don't receive the blessings we are looking for. Note, I did not say we don’t receive blessing from God, but we don’t receive the blessings we are looking for.

Job 7:4, When I lie down I think, ‘How long before I get up?’ The night drags on, and I toss and turn until dawn.

Job can't even find peace and rest at night. So many of us can relate to being in that place.

Job 7:7 Remember, O God, that my life is but a breath; my eyes will never see happiness again.
7:9 As a cloud vanishes and is gone, so one who goes down to the grave does not return.

Job did not have the hope that we as New Testament believers have because it had not yet been revealed.

Imagine going through the trials you have, or those that Job is experiencing, and not even having the hope of eternal life.

Job 7:11“Therefore I will not keep silent; I will speak out in the anguish of my spirit, I will complain in the bitterness of my soul.

He thinks that he has a right to complain because he thinks he is in the right and what God is allowing is wrong. He thinks God is wrong to be letting this happen and God has done wrong by him.

It is so hard sometimes to submit ourselves to the complete sovereignty of God. But we must accept that we do not know better and God is not wrong; He is and He will be Lord of all.

16 I despise my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone; my days have no meaning.

From this point on, it is just heartbreaking to hear Job’s pain and hopelessness. It is truly heartbreaking.

We have to resist the urge to think God is hurting us or doing wrong by us. We must trust His ultimate plan and purpose and call out to Him, even if all we can do is cry. We must seek Him and hide ourselves in His spiritual comfort even when everything in the flesh is destroyed.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer said that man will serve God no matter what the cost, even death and suffering if he has eternal eyes.

2 Corinthians 4:16-18 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

By the way: reading The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer and it is a profoundly powerful book. I have the book, but my local library has an electronic version to borrow on one’s phone, tablet or laptop.

1/13/2016 9:55 am  #25

Job 8

8:3 Does God pervert justice? Does the Almighty pervert what is right?
Bildad speaks rightly about God, but the problem is that he does not understand what God's justice is.
He keeps insisting that God is punishing Job and his children for sin.

It seems Bildad has some understanding of God, but is off in his application and he does not really understand all the behind scene issues or grasp the whole picture.

He also says, in verse 20:Surely God does not reject a blameless man or strengthen the hands of evildoers.
Again this is ultimately true, the unrighteous will ultimate answer.

But Matthew 5:44-45 says"But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

God allows the natural consequences of His goodness and mercies to benefit all who live on earth. And, the natural consequences of sin also affect all who live on earth. Now as believers He is with us and blessing us, Eph 1, and working through us for our good and the good of others.

So, it is just not an easy thing to understand. Yes, sometimes evil people are allowed to prosper in this world. But, God has more than this world for those who love Him. He may allow a difficulty because He is trying to do something far greater and of more value than this world in and through us. Also, sometimes, I think, things just happen and it is not part of some great plan, it is just life, but we trust God to give us strength to get through because again we know this world is not the most important or valuable thing we have.

1/14/2016 1:54 pm  #26

Job 9

8: 4 He is wise in heart and mighty in strength --who has hardened himself against him, and succeeded?

Job did know that regardless of whatever else he was feeling that is was no use to harden himself against God.

It is all too easy for us to harden ourselves against God during trials. And sometimes we justify our right to seek relief and seek relief from the trial in ways that are not honoring to God.  But Job knows, as we should, that we cannot succeed by butting heads with God.

S: 9:15-18 Though I am in the right, I cannot answer him; I must appeal for mercy to my accuser. If I summoned him and he answered me, I would not believe that he was listening to my voice. For he crushes me with a tempest and multiplies my wounds without cause; he will not let me get my breath, but fills me with bitterness.

O: Job believes God is capricious. That He is hurting him just for kicks and unjustly.

S: 8:22-23 It is all one; therefore I say, He destroys both the blameless and the wicked. When disaster brings sudden death, he mocks at the calamity of the innocent.

O: He thinks that God does not even care about the suffering of the innocent.

A: Both of these statement show that although Job honored God and served Him, he does not really know God. He does not know God’s heart or character or have an intimate relationship with God.

Perhaps God is using this trial so that Job will truly know who God is. This trial will help Job to know God and to know Him more intimately.

I think that is my challenge when I have trials, to try to see God in a more intimate way.

Optional GMG Discussion Question: It's easy to become discouraged when we feel we are doing everything right and bad things still continue to happen. What are some ways that you can gain encouragement in those moments?

I was reading on another blog, To Love Honor and Vacuum, about women who are unable to have normal relations with their husbands due to a condition called vaginismus. Some of these people were virgins when they married, both husband and wife. They feel they waited and did everything right and now they are unable to enjoy a sexual relationship and they see everyone in the world who are not honoring God having what appears to be amazing sex. Because of this they may feel bitter and cheated by God.

In response to this, Shelia, who writes the blog wrote, “No one has the ‘right’ to great sex.” She stated that those with vaginismus feel cheated. “But great sex is not a ‘right’ or an ‘entitlement.’ It is a gift that God gives to us in marriage, but that doesn’t mean that everyone will receive it. Some people are born partially paralyzed. Some people are born deaf. Some people are in car accidents and live with chronic pain. You don’t have the ‘right’ to a pain-free life or to hearing or to sight or to mobility any more than you have the right to great sex.

“You aren’t being cheated, and you aren’t cheating anyone. You’re just experiencing a real disappointment.”

I think that is the point, life is full of disappointments and we must stop thinking that we are “entitled” to certain things. I know it is normal to want certain things, I know God has even given us certain normal, healthy, and even Godly desires. But, we are never entitled to anything. These are gifts and not everyone gets every gift.

The other thing is that sometimes people think it is unfair because others seem to have the things they want. But, you can never directly experience someone else’s reality. No matter how great things look for them they have disappointments.

I feel like I have not had what other people would call major trials. But, here is the thing, they are major to me, and they are trials and hurts to me, and they are longings to me. Even if they seem minor or not that bad that does not eliminate the fact that I still live with expectations and unmet desires. And how can we know the intensity of feeling in others?

God allows what he allows in all of our lives for His purposes to bring us to Him. Some He blesses with enormous wealth because that will draw them to Him in thankfulness being aware of how blessed they are and they will use it for His glory. Others would be drawn away from God by wealth. Some have trials to draw us nearer to God; others would be crushed or pushed away from God. He knows what we need to refine our character and get us to depend on Him and to submit to His Lordship.

Jesus said “when” you suffer trials, not “if.” This world is not our home or our hope. We will have trials, we can be grateful for God’s actual presence in us, fallen sinful people. Yet, the God of the universe will dwell in us and strengthen and support us and give us hope for a better future to get through the temporary pain. Like a physical therapist causes pain to ultimately bring about healing.

I just got finished reading this book, Gap Creek, by Robert Morgan, and it is not a Christian book, but does have some Christian themes. SPOILER ALERT – if you want to read this book and don’t want to be spoiled stop reading.
……………….We see an angry, bitter, frightened man who is hopeless and He recommits His life to Christ and he is changed and has peace and strength, love and patience in the face of adversity. Even at the end when they are left in a really bad place (I will save the details in case someone does want to read) they have hope and don’t look back on the sorrow or what they have lost but look forward even if to an uncertain future.

1/15/2016 1:27 pm  #27

Job 10

I really don't have much to say except that it is sad to see Job's confusion and sense of betrayal. How he just can no longer trust that God is good.

I liked Courtney's post today, Why Do Bad Things Happen to Good People?

She pointed in the post to John16:33 which I thought was so encouraging:
"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

1/17/2016 5:23 pm  #28

Week of January 18, 2016
This Week’s Reading Assignment

S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.
Don't forget to check the introduction on Mondays and the devotional on Friday at Good Morning Girls.

Monday
Reading: Job 11
Verse of the Day: Job 11:7
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Even in our darkest moments there is always hope. Name a time when you have found hope in the midst of a dark moment.

Tuesday
Reading: Job 12
Verse of the Day: Job 12:13
Optional GMG Discussion Question: We have been reminded just how powerful God truly is. How does this bring encouragement to you?

Wednesday
Reading: Job 13
Verse of the Day: Job 13:15
Optional GMG Discussion Question: There will always be those who question your Christian walk. How do you handle those types of situations?

Thursday
Reading: Job 14
Verse of the Day: Job 14:15
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Everything in this world has an end. Yet we have the assurance that through our salvation even our earthly death is not the end. How do these words of truth bring you comfort?

Friday
Reading: Job 15
Verse of the Day: Job 15:34
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Everyone's Christian walk looks different. Because of this, there will always be those who question your actions. How can you break this trend by being an encouragement to a fellow
Christian who may be going through the same kind of judgment?

1/18/2016 9:48 am  #29

Job 11

Job 11:10 “If he comes along and confines you in prison and convenes a court, who can oppose him?

We can be dissatisfied with things in our life, but if this is the place God has us, we cannot oppose Him; we must accept where we are and patiently persevere.

I need to seek to find peace right in the middle of my situation.

Paul says in Philippians 4:11-13 Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

Paul says he had no need. That is crazy, we all have need, for food, shelter, etc. But this was his attitude. He learned the secret to contentment in any situation. He relied on God to give him supernatural strength to persevere.

This is a hard lesson for those of us in North America because it seems nothing ever measures up to our longings and vision for our lives. It us even a harder lesson during times of pain and trial.

1/18/2016 3:58 pm  #30

I also shared this on the Facebook group I recently joined and thought I would share it here too.  I'm trying to be better about posting (though my hope is that I don't always post the same thing on each group), in part, so that those who lead these groups can see that their work for the Lord is not in vain -- others are reading and appreciating their work!  TBG - thank you for your willingness to lead this group and for sticking to it especially if there are times you wonder if anybody is really even reading it. I appreciate what you do!

S.  Job 11:3-5  Should thy lies make men hold their peace? and when thou mockest, shall no man make thee ashamed? For thou hast said, My doctrine is pure, and I am clean in thine eyes. But oh that God would speak, and open his lips against thee; 

O.  Ouch!  Definitely not the words of an encouraging friend.   Zophar, who loved Job enough to travel to see him and to silently sit with him for 7 days, now seems to be irritated with him – to the point that he pretty much calls him a liar and a mocker.  Then, as if Job hasn’t already gone through enough, Zophar even wants God to speak against Job!

A.  Oh, how I have been guilty of being a friend like Zophar.  I too have said words to my friends that hurt rather than healed.  My initial intent may have been to help and encourage someone undergoing a  trial, but sometimes, my words (which means my heart, since out of the heart the mouth speaks) have done great damage. 

K.  Heavenly Father, please forgive me for all the times that my words, whether intentional or unintentional,  hurt people.  Create in me a clean heart so that from THAT heart my mouth may speak --- create in me a heart of mercy and a heart of grace, knowing that love covers a multitude of sin that I may be the image of your Son.

Board footera