Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/21/2016 9:25 pm  #21

Re: Mark

Mark 11

11:24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

Scripture interprets scripture and I think it is important to balance this verse with James 4:3-4:

You ask and do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, so that you may spend it on your pleasures. You adulteresses, do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.

So I think it is important if we want to see our prayers answered to ask according to the will of God and by the leading of the Holy Spirit.

11:29 Jesus said to them, "I will ask you one question; answer me, and I will tell you by what authority I do these things.

They challenged Jesus’ authority because it threatened their authority. They were more concerned with keeping control than desiring to learn and understand.

It is important to keep in check our desire to maintain control of circumstances and to be the one in authority of our life. We need to humbly come to God to learn what He is trying to teach us and to understand His ways.

Mark 11:31 And they discussed it with one another, saying, "If we say, 'From heaven,' He will say, 'Why then did you not believe him?'

Apparently the Pharisees rejected John.  John was doing a baptism of repentance to turn the hearts of Israel back to God. So if they rejected John, then this could explain their hard hearts about Jesus. They did not have hearts that were repentant and turned back towards God. Their hearts were not prepared to accept Christ because they were not prepared to repent and turn to God.

Faith is such an issue of the heart and the Holy Spirit must move to open eyes and soften hearts. We must remember and be grateful that God has shown us His truth and pray that others would respond to the prompting of the Spirit. It is also a good reminder that we cannot control other’s response to the gospel or to us, but the Spirit must move.

3/24/2016 1:06 pm  #22

Mark 12

12:12 And they sought to lay hands on Him, but feared the multitude, for they knew He had spoken the parable against them. So they left Him and went away.

Observation
They knew the parable was against them and they had to understand the parable. It was quite clear; they were not yielding to God fruit from the people He left them to spiritually shepherd. Instead of responding to God’s prophets, they reject them. Yet still understanding what they were doing they still refused to repent. They continued to reject the Word God was sending them because they could not accept Jesus. Jesus was calling them outside their traditions and challenging their own position, calling them to humility and pure hearts, not works and elevation of self. So, Jesus was a stumbling block to them 1 Peter 2:8.

Application
I see two things in this parable

1) We are responsible for growing fruit from what God has entrusted us with. Are we going to have something to give to God when He returns and ask us what we did to grow fruit?

2) The leaders did not want to listen to the prophets calling them back to serve God, questioning what they were doing with God’s Word.

The question for us is do we dismiss the Son? Do we really regard Christ in our lives? Do we respect Christ or take His sacrifice lightly? As we lead up to Good Friday, it is a good time to ask if we disrespect and take lightly His sacrifice by refusing to respond with obedience and purity and rejecting all forms of sin in our lives and hearts.

12:17 And Jesus answered and said to them, "Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's." And they marveled at Him.

Do we render to God the things of God? This is a challenge to us to go to a deeper level in being transformed by God and filled and animated by His Spirit at all times.

Do I render to God the things that are His? My heart, my mind, my life, my time, my gifts, my purpose?

We are being transformed from glory to glory – more into the image of Christ.

But we all, whit unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord. 2 Corinthians 3:18

12:29-31 Jesus answered him, "The first of all the commandments is: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.' This is the first commandment. And the second, like it, is this: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these."

How often is my first response to think of myself? Lord, I pray that I would grow so that my reflexive reaction would be to always think of you first then of others and think a lot less often of myself.

3/26/2016 7:15 am  #23

Mark 13

Mark 13:9 But watch out for yourselves, for they will deliver you up to councils, and you will be beaten in the synagogues. You will be brought before rulers and kings for My sake, for a testimony to them.

For a testimony to them - do I think if this when I am being unfairly treated? Do I think of it as an opportunity to be a testimony to those people in my behavior and response?

There is a quote that an pessimist is someone who makes challenges of his opportunities and optimist is one who makes opportunities of his challenges.

What a great way to readjust my thinking when I am going through a trial, difficulty or someone is being unfair to me, instead of becoming angry, realize that it is an opportunity to be a testimony.

Mark 13:11 But when they arrest you and deliver you up, do not worry beforehand, or premeditate what you will speak. But whatever is given you in that hour, speak that; for it is not you who speak, but the Holy Spirit.

Good reminder to not try to act in my own strength and my own knowledge, but to listen to and trust the Holy Spirit. Instead of strategizing, pray and seek guidance.

Mark 13:13 And you will be hated by all for My name’s sake. But he who endures to the end shall be saved.

We see this now, how people hate those who stand for biblical truth.

Mark 13:22 For false Christs and false prophets will rise and show signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.

Even if one sees signs and wonders, believe no one who contradicts the Word of God. Good thing to think about with some TV and popular preachers. Listen very closely and test their words very closely with the Bible.

Mark 13:33 Take heed, watch and pray; for you do not know when the time is.  35 Watch therefore, for you do not know when the master of the house is coming in the evening, at midnight, at the crowing of the rooster, or in the morning 37 And what I say to you, I say to all: Watch!

Reminder to be watchful and keep my thoughts on things above in my daily actions and thoughts. To be spiritually oriented remembering that Christ is returning and I want to be faithful.

3/26/2016 8:10 am  #24

Mark 14

Mark 14:6-7 But Jesus said, "Let her alone. Why do you trouble her? She has done a good work for Me. For you have the poor with you always, and whenever you wish you may do them good; but Me you do not have always.

We spend time doing good works, how much time do we spend just blessing God? I think it was Wesley or Tozer who said they would spend hours on their face just worshiping God. Do we spend time, not asking, not even thanking God for the things He has given us, but just in worship, acknowledging God’s greatness and character?
Mark 14:24 And He said to them, "This is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many.
This is a beautiful reminder of God’s covenant, with us, with me, with you.

Mark 14:29 Peter said to Him, "Even if all are made to stumble, yet I will not be."
Pride goes before destruction, And a haughty spirit before a fall. Proverbs 16:18

Mark 14:31 But he spoke more vehemently, "If I have to die with You, I will not deny You!" And they all said likewise.

They never really listened to and pondered what Christ said to them so they never really had understanding.

We need to not just read, but study and think on the Word of God and seek understanding.

Mark 14:33-34 And He took Peter, James, and John with Him, and He began to be troubled and deeply distressed. Then He said to them, "My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even to death. Stay here and watch."

Jesus was troubled, deeply distressed, and exceedingly sorrowful.

We do not have a high priest who cannot understand our pains and trials: Jesus knows, Jesus experienced it; He can relate to us.

Heb 2:17-18 Therefore, in all things He had to be made like His brethren, that He might be a merciful and faithful High Priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. For in that He Himself has suffered, being tempted, He is able to aid those who are tempted.

Mark 14: 35-36 He went a little farther, and fell on the ground, and prayed that if it were possible, the hour might pass from Him. And He said, "Abba, Father, all things are possible for You. Take this cup away from Me; nevertheless, not what I will, but what You will."

Jesus prayed for deliverance. He asked to be taken out of the trial, but He accepted that ultimately God’s purpose was more important.

Mark 14:38 Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak."

Prayer strengthens our faith, focuses us on God and aligns our will with His.

14:50 Then they all forsook Him and fled.

We also seek to protect ourselves instead of standing for God. We make excuses and say that God do whatever He wants so we don’t need to get involved, or that we are not called to get involved. But really, we are just choosing apathy and choosing our own self preservation over standing bolding for and with God.

We don’t take stand for God and Biblical truth to protect our own comfort, position and acceptance in this world.

14:54 But Peter followed Him at a distance, right into the courtyard of the high priest. And he sat with the servants and warmed himself at the fire.

Peter followed at a distance and stood among those accusing Christ to blend in. He was half-hearted and uncertain in following Christ.

Is this how we follow Christ? Are we half-heart, uncertain and following at a distance? Or do we follow closely after God?

14:61 But He kept silent and answered nothing.

Christ was unfairly treated and was physically and emotionally suffering. Yet He patiently endured.

Romans 2: 6-8 [God] will render to each one according to his deeds: eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality; but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness--indignation and wrath,

We need to patiently endure in trouble and seek to serve God and seek heavenly blessings and be willing to forego earthly blessings. Seek what is better, glory, honor, and immortality – but most importantly eternity in the presence and love of an all loving perfect God.

Mark 14:68 But he denied it, saying, "I neither know nor understand what you are saying."
Mark 14:70 But he denied it again.
Mark 14:71 Then he began to curse and swear, "I do not know this Man of whom you speak!"

The stages of denying Christ and not standing for Christ in front of others.
In verse 68 he played dumb, pretended ignorance. Verse 70 he told an outright lie and denial. By verse 71 we see total rejection.

3/27/2016 4:06 pm  #25

Mark 15

15:10 For he knew that the chief priests had handed Him over because of envy.
15:14-15 Then Pilate said to them, "Why, what evil has He done?" But they cried out all the more, "Crucify Him!" So Pilate, wanting to gratify the crowd, released Barabbas to them; and he delivered Jesus, after he had scourged Him, to be crucified.

Pilate was unwilling to put himself out or risk losing his rule to do right. He just allowed evil and injustice because he wanted to preserve his position.

See this today. Our leaders are unwilling to risk losing office so they fail to stand up for right. Christians are afraid of being ostracized or labeled “intolerant” or not being accepted, and so they capitulate and refuse to speak and fail to stand.

15:11 But the chief priests stirred up the crowd, so that he should rather release Barabbas to them.

How easy when emotions run high to get carried away with the crowd and allow ourselves to get swayed by the majority. It is so important to surround ourselves with people who are faithful to the word and to watch the groups we hang out in.

15:16-18 Then the soldiers led Him away into the hall called Praetorium, and they called together the whole garrison.  And they clothed Him with purple; and they twisted a crown of thorns, put it on His head, and began to salute Him, "Hail, King of the Jews!"

They called the whole garrison, because no one would want to miss this sport; it was entertainment. They were so callous; not at all sensitive to the fact that a person was going to be executed, even one they heard Pilate say was really innocent. It shows an overall low view and low respect of life. They even mocked Him. It just shows the true depth of evil in the hearts of unregenerate man.

But here is the thing, we are like that too without the Holy Spirit freeing us from the bondage of Satan and giving us a new heart. We look at others as such bad people, but fail to see the depths of our own sin.

1 Corinthians 6:11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.

15:28 So the Scripture was fulfilled which says, "And He was numbered with the transgressors."
And yet, He was innocent. It was my transgression; I should have been numbered with the transgressors.

15:34 And at the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?" which is translated, "My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?"
He was in anguish and heart broken.

15:36 Then someone ran and filled a sponge full of sour wine, put it on a reed, and offered it to Him to drink, saying, "Let Him alone; let us see if Elijah will come to take Him down."
So anxious to see wonders and yet had no heart for understanding, truth, obedience, or submission.

15:38 Then the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom.
Praise God, there is no veil between us and God; we don’t have to fear His holiness. The priest had a string attached to their ankle to drag them out should they die before God. They could only enter the holy of holies a few times a year.

We with boldness can approach the throne of God; we have a great mediator between us and Him.

Ephesians 3:11-12 according to the eternal purpose which He accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord, in whom we have boldness and access with confidence through faith in Him.

Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need. Hebrews 4:16

We have a new covenant.

Hebrews 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My laws in their mind and write them on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.

Hebrews 10:16-17 “This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, says the Lord: I will put My laws into their hearts, and in their minds I will write them,” then He adds, “Their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more.”

So, we don’t have to obey out of external religious behavior, but from the heart because of our love for God because He has freed us from our love of sin and given us His heart and love for Him.

15: 43 Joseph of Arimathea, a prominent council member, who was himself waiting for the kingdom of God, coming and taking courage, went in to Pilate and asked for the body of Jesus
15:46 Then he bought fine linen, took Him down, and wrapped Him in the linen. And he laid Him in a tomb which had been hewn out of the rock, and rolled a stone against the door of the tomb.

Even when he did not see God at work and could not understand how God could work, still he took courage and stood for Christ. The others only wanted to see His works. When Joseph saw no works he still stood for God.

Do we stand for Christ even when we can’t see how He is working?

4/04/2016 8:48 pm  #26

Mark 14

Vs 36: "Abba, Father," he cried out, "everything is possible for you.  Please take this cup of suffering away from me.  Yet I want your will to be done, not mine." (NLT)

I have been keeping up with my reading, or at least trying to, haha!  I just haven't been posting much.  

The above scripture shows us one of Jesus' human moments.  We see Jesus being this strong and peaceful figure, but he had fears and sadness, too.  The difference between Jesus and a lot of us is we don't take our worries, concerns, etc to our heavenly father to renew our strength.  We complain and talk to others about it.  You later see in the scripture that after praying, Jesus is renewed with courage and ready to finish what he was called to do. 

4/09/2016 11:19 am  #27

itsjenniferrose wrote:

Mark 14

Vs 36: "Abba, Father," he cried out, "everything is possible for you.  Please take this cup of suffering away from me.  Yet I want your will to be done, not mine." (NLT)

I have been keeping up with my reading, or at least trying to, haha!  I just haven't been posting much.  

The above scripture shows us one of Jesus' human moments.  We see Jesus being this strong and peaceful figure, but he had fears and sadness, too.  The difference between Jesus and a lot of us is we don't take our worries, concerns, etc to our heavenly father to renew our strength.  We complain and talk to others about it.  You later see in the scripture that after praying, Jesus is renewed with courage and ready to finish what he was called to do. 

Beautiful insight. And, yes, it shows that Jesus really can relate to our hurts. And great thought about going to God to get strength to get through the hard times.

Board footera