Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/23/2016 8:03 am  #11

Re: Deuteronomy

Deuteronomy 5

5:7 You shall have no other gods before Me.

I shall not worship and elevate myself, my goals, my desires, pleasures of this world. Even the good blessings of God we should not elevate our desires for those things above our obedience, love, and fidelity to God.

He is the only thing we should seek after and long for. We must turn our hearts to long for Him alone.

You are the only one I need
I bow all of me at Your feet
I worship You alone

You have given me more than
I could ever have wanted
And I want to give You my heart and my soul

You alone are Father
And You alone are good
You are alone are Savior
And You alone are God

5:10 but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.

It is so comforting when we come up short. That God says of Himself that He chooses and longs to give mercy.

4/23/2016 8:04 am  #12

Deuteronomy 6

6:1-2 Now this is the commandment, and these are the statutes and judgments which the Lord your God has commanded to teach you, that you may observe them in the land which you are crossing over to possess, that you may fear the Lord your God, to keep all His statutes and His commandments which I command you

We learn and meditate on His Word and judgments so that they will teach us to reverence God. We must teach our hearts to be in awe of God. We don’t naturally incline to God. This awe leads us to obedience.

This is takes us back to Deuteronomy 4:10 -  let them hear my words, so that they may learn to fear me

6:4-5 Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one! You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength.

Heart - inner man, mind, will, understanding
Soul - self, life, creature, person, appetite, mind, living being, desire, emotion, passion
Strength - exceedingly, might, force,

We must love God wholly and only, and not go after other gods (vs 14) but in order to serve and fear Him (vs 13) we must learn to reverence Him (vs 2).

6:3 Hear therefore, O Israel, and be careful to do them
5:1 Hear, O Israel, the statutes and the rules that I speak in your hearing today, and you shall learn them and be careful to do them.

But we must be careful to serve God. It is not automatic, it takes effort.

6:12 then beware, lest you forget the Lord who brought you out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.
4:9 Only take heed to yourself, and diligently keep yourself, lest you forget the things your eyes have seen, and lest they depart from your heart all the days of your life

We see a warning against forgetting. As we forget our hearts turn away and turn towards ourselves. We forget or lose our awe of God and slack in our love and service.

6:20 "When your son asks you in time to come, saying, 'What is the meaning of the testimonies, the statutes, and the judgments which the Lord our God has commanded you?'

This is for us too. When we go through trials and pain, it is by remembering history that we can remember and know and have confidence in the fact that God is faithful. We know His faithfulness.

4/23/2016 8:05 am  #13

Deuteronomy 7

7:1 When the Lord your God brings you into the land which you go to possess, and has cast out many nations before you, the Hittites and the Girgashites and the Amorites and the Canaanites and the Perizzites and the Hivites and the Jebusites, seven nations greater and mightier than you

Observation
This says, when the Lord has cast out the nations that are stronger than Israel. It is not because Israel is great.

Application
When we look on our accomplishments and victories, we should remember that it is not because we are that special or smart or talented, it is not our abilities, it is God’s blessings and goodness and provision.

There are always better and stronger people than us. But, who strengthened us, who enlightened our minds, who gifted our hands and made them to prosper against all possible things that could have gone wrong? Who brought us to our place of accomplishment in spite of our faults?

7:2,4 You shall make no covenant with them nor show mercy to them.
For they will turn your sons away from following Me, to serve other gods;

Observation
Make no covenant with them for they will turn your sons away from following me.

Application
What are we compromising with, binding ourselves to that is turning our hearts from fully loving God? What is infecting and infiltrating our life?

7:6-7 For you are a holy people to the Lord your God; the Lord your God has chosen you to be a people for Himself, a special treasure above all the peoples on the face of the earth. The Lord did not set His love on you nor choose you because you were more in number than any other people, for you were the least of all peoples;

Similarly, God has set His love on us and chosen us to be vessels of His love, not because of our specialness or goodness, no. But, just because it pleased Him to love us and to select for Himself a people.

1 Peter 2:9-10
But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; who once were not a people but are now the people of God, who had not obtained mercy but now have obtained mercy.

4/24/2016 4:02 pm  #14

Deuteronomy 8

8:2 And you shall remember that the Lord your God led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you and test you, to know what was in your heart, whether you would keep His commandments or not.

We have to be humbled to be used by God and as God humbles and tests us it reveals to us and to all what is in our hearts. It helps convict us and make us truly know ourselves and our own hearts and it show to others the truth about our heart. It also highlights to us that God knows the truth. We can pretend on the outside, but when we are confronted with the truth and our hearts are exposed to ourselves, it makes us aware that God also sees and knows the truth of our hearts.

The humbling and testing also show us our need for and dependency on God.

8:3 So He humbled you, allowed you to hunger, and fed you with manna which you did not know nor did your fathers know, that He might make you know that man shall not live by bread alone; but man lives by every word that proceeds from the mouth of the Lord.

O: He fed them with what they did not know so that they would understand their need for Him.

A: God’s provision is not always obvious to us and it is not always what we expect. We must accept what He provides even when it does not conform with our expectation and when it is not what we desire.

8:11 "Beware that you do not forget the Lord your God by not keeping His commandments, His judgments, and His statutes which I command you today,

When we forget God’s faithfulness, deliverance and His awe we do not obey. So we disobey when we forget and when we are focused on serving ourselves instead of focused on God

8:12-14 lest--when you have eaten and are full, and have built beautiful houses and dwell in them; and when your herds and your flocks multiply, and your silver and your gold are multiplied, and all that you have is multiplied; when your heart is lifted up, and you forget the Lord your God who brought you out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage;

Plays into what itsjenniferrose said. So true when we are fat and blessed our hearts forget God because we fall in love with the blessing and forget who delivered us.

Our hearts are lifted up and we make ourselves god and serve our own desire and we become enamored with our abilities and are convinced that we have done everything ourselves.

We treat God as a genie; when we need something, we expect Him to fix it. If He doesn’t fix it liked we tell Him to we get angry; how dare God not do as I ask?
Then when things go well, we don’t need anything from Him because it is ass about our needs We even serve God for our peace, our hope, our salvation.

What about worshiping God for who He is? What about seeking God not for our needs, but because He is worthy of our service and He is a treasure to be sought? What about remembering that He showed us His character, plan and desire a relationship with us (Genesis), deliverance (Exodus), perfect holiness (Leviticus), and unending faithfulness even in the face of our own unfaithfulness (Numbers)? We must remember these things and obey (Deuteronomy).

8:17-18 then you say in your heart, 'My power and the might of my hand have gained me this wealth.' And you shall remember the Lord your God, for it is He who gives you power to get wealth, that He may establish His covenant which He swore to your fathers, as it is this day.

God gives us the ability.

4/24/2016 5:42 pm  #15

Deuteronomy 9

9:1-3 . . . go in to dispossess nations greater and mightier than yourself, cities great and fortified up to heaven, a people great and tall . . . Who can stand before the descendants of Anak?
Therefore understand today that the Lord your God is He who goes over before you as a consuming fire. He will destroy them and bring them down before you; so you shall drive them out and destroy them quickly, as the Lord has said to you.

It is too great a work for them. It is God’s doing and God’s power.

9:16 . . . You had turned aside quickly from the way which the Lord had commanded you.

God shows us something or convicts us of something. Then we get distracted and drop right back into habits or forget what God has put on our hearts to do. How quickly we turn aside, even after sometimes we see God move greatly in our lives. Even after God proves His faithfulness to us, ye we soon are unfaithful to Him.

9:19 For I was afraid of the anger and hot displeasure with which the Lord was angry with you, to destroy you. But the Lord listened to me at that time also.

We are not afraid of God’s anger and displeasure. Since Jesus paid the price, we can lack a sense of the seriousness of God’s displeasure. It is almost like when you get something for free, you don’t understand its value. So since Jesus paid the penalty and gave us a free gift of salvation, we don’t understand the real value. That there is profound anger and displeasure that Christ took the blame for. It was not free to God to give us this gift; it cost dearly!

4/24/2016 5:43 pm  #16

Deuteronomy 10

10:12 And now, Israel, what does the Lord your God require of you, but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in all His ways and to love Him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul,

God desires that we should fear Him, walk in His ways, love Him, and serve Him; with all our hearts (will, intellect) and soul (passion, desires).

Doing these things and keeping His commands is for our good.

4/24/2016 6:09 pm  #17

Week of April 25
This Week’s Reading Assignment

S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.

Monday
Reading: Deuteronomy 11
Good Morning Girls: Introduction to Week
Verse of the Day: Deuteronomy 11:16
Optional GMG Discussion Question:
God warned the Israelites to pay attention, lest their hearts be deceived. Have you been deceived in the past? How are you paying attention now, so that you will not be deceived?

Tuesday
Reading: Deuteronomy 12
Verse of the Day: Deuteronomy 12:32
God's commandments must be followed; we cannot add to them nor take away from them. How do you ensure that you're following God's commandments without adding or taking away from them?

Wednesday
Reading: Deuteronomy 13
Verse of the Day: Deuteronomy 13:4
We must take care and compare all men's words to God's Word, in order to have the truth revealed. Have you ever had a man's words not match up to God's Word? How did you handle that situation?

Thursday
Reading: Deuteronomy 14
Verse of the Day: Deuteronomy 14:22
All that we have belongs to God. How are you giving back to the Lord?

Friday
Reading: Deuteronomy 15
Good Morning Girls: Devotional and Discussion
Verse of the Day: Deuteronomy 15:7
That which God blesses us with, we must not withhold from using to help those in need. How can you reach out and bless someone in need today?

4/25/2016 8:34 pm  #18

Deuteronomy 11

11:16 Take heed to yourselves, lest your heart be deceived, and you turn aside and serve other gods and worship them

We believe lies. That is what draws us away from God to serve ourselves and other things. So, we are not deceived and do not turn away, we should lay up God’s words in our hearts.

I need to work on meditating on the things I read throughout the day. Scripture on my phone is not working for me. I think I need to go back to good old fashion index cards that I can prop up wherever I am: on laptop, kitchen counter, etc.

4/26/2016 8:41 pm  #19

Deuteronomy 12

12:8 You shall not at all do as we are doing here today--every man doing whatever is right in his own eyes

We are not the standard. God is sovereign; He has authority.

12:10-11  But when you cross over the Jordan and dwell in the land which the Lord your God is giving you to inherit, and He gives you rest from all your enemies round about, so that you dwell in safety, then there will be the place where the Lord your God chooses to make His name abide.

God puts us in situations for His plans.

God now has chosen to abide in us. Image that, in us. Because of this, we need to be set apart as holy. We need to take seriously the concept of what Courtney said during our Leviticus study, we need to exalt God as holy in our lives.

1 Peter 2:9 But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.

Because God had given us these great hopes, we therefore must live as holy.

1 Peter Chapter 1

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, (vs 3-4)

Therefore (vs 13.)……As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, since it is written, "You shall be holy, for I am holy." (vs 14-16)

12:28 Observe and obey all these words which I command you, that it may go well with you and your children after you forever, when you do what is good and right in the sight of the Lord your God.

How often in my life if I had observed and obeyed what God commands would it have gone better for me and my family?

12:30 take heed to yourself that you are not ensnared to follow them, after they are destroyed from before you, and that you do not inquire after their gods, saying, 'How did these nations serve their gods? I also will do likewise.'

God delivered us from our sin and from the power of this world. Yet, we get ensnare and fall back in love with the world and go back to following the world’s standards and the world’s idea, attitudes, and values.

12:31 You shall not worship the Lord your God in that way; for every abomination to the Lord which He hates they have done to their gods; for they burn even their sons and daughters in the fire to their gods.

How does our society sacrifice children to our idols, the things we worship and desire?

12:32 Whatever I command you, be careful to observe it; you shall not add to it nor take away from it.

We should not add undue burdens on people based on our personal convictions, ideas, or cultural attitudes. But, we also cannot minimize and excuse certain aspects of God’s laws either. All of it must be observed whatever we think or our culture thinks.

4/27/2016 8:28 pm  #20

So far my takeaways from reading chapters of Deuteronomy back to back are the following: 

-Observe his commands and keep them on your heart at all times, lest you will be deceived by this world
-Love God, first
-Don't forget the things he's done for you
-Be mindful not to serve other gods - lust, money, objects, etc
-Your success comes from God
-We can always comes to him to be strengthened when we are weak.

Board footera