Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/20/2014 2:51 pm  #11

Re: 1 John

1 John 3

vs 1-3
See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God!  And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him.  Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.  All who have this hope in him purify themselves, just as he is pure.

I am so encouraged by such a beautiful passage.  We have been reading so much about sin, but this just reminds us of God’s love for us. I am feeling overwhelmed by the sense of God’s great love for me. 

Also what I see in this passage is that who I am and what I see in this world is not true reality.  When Christ appears then what I will be will be manifest.  This ties into one of my favorite scriptures.

Colossians 3:3-4
For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.   When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory.

This reminds me of a song by Third Day.  The style may not suit you but the words are so encouraging.

Praise to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ
Our God and our King, to Him we will sing
In His great mercy He has given us life
Now we can be called the children of God

Great is the love that the Father has given us
He has delivered us, well, He has delivered us

Children of God, sing your song and rejoice
For the love that He has given us all
Children of God, by the blood of His Son
We have been redeemed and we can be called
Children of God, children of God

Your mystery is revealed to the universe
Father above has proven His love
Now we are free from the judgment that we deserve
So we are called the children of God

Great is the love that the Father has given us
He has delivered us, He has delivered us

For the love that He has given us all, oh, whoa

We are the saints, we are the children
We've been redeemed, we've been forgiven
We are the sons and daughters of our God
We are the saints, we are the children
We've been redeemed, we've been forgiven
We are the sons and daughters of our God

For the love that He has given us all, oh, whoa

9/20/2014 6:52 pm  #12

itsjenniferrose wrote:

1 john 1-2

The following scripture hit me like a ton of bricks. The wanting. I've been working on this a lot lately. Living in LA and working in marketing, I'm always wanting something. But I get so tired of wanting and yearning. It's such a challenge, but knowing that it isolates me from him is an eye opener. It's a reminder when I become consumed with what I want or having my way, to stop and seek him. Because I'm a testimony he will give you the desires of your heart, but in his own time and not when we're obsessing over it.

"Don’t love the world’s ways. Don’t love the world’s goods. Love of the world squeezes out love for the Father. Practically everything that goes on in the world—wanting your own way, wanting everything for yourself, wanting to appear important—has nothing to do with the Father. It just isolates you from him. The world and all its wanting, wanting, wanting is on the way out—but whoever does what God wants is set for eternity." (‭1 John‬ ‭2‬:‭15-17‬ MSG)

I like that you wrote....when I become consumed.... I have heard people say they are not suppose to want things. It's nothing wrong with wanting. God wants the best for us.. It's when it consume u.. Great insight

9/20/2014 6:55 pm  #13

Chapter 3

This entire chapter spoke to me and after reading it, I had to go back and mediate on several points. However, I want to focus on versus 4 – 10 as I always say thank you Lord for giving me one more day to be a better me than I was yesterday and that prayer came to mind as I started into verse 4.

4 Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness. 5 But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin. 6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.7 Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. The one who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous. 8 The one who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work. 9 No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God. 10 This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not God’s child, nor is anyone who does not love their brother and sister.

O: No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. They cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God. (we may sin but will not keep on or go on purposely)

A: John is letting me know again that God knows I will sin but God also knows my heart. He know that I will have accidents and I  will accidently sin from time to time; however, each day as I  dig deeper into the word, each day as I learn more, each day as I grow closer to our Father my sin should be less. As I am growing, learning and getting closer my sins should not be the same as they were years ago.  This reminds me of the saying, (not sure who said it), I may not be where I want to be, but thank God I’m not where I used to be. Therefore, I should look at my life (the way I am living, the people I am surrounding myself with, the actions I am performing) and ask myself, “, Am I the same place I was yesterday in my relationship with God, in my obedience, in my love for my brothers and sisters, in my actions that are seen by others or can others see the God in me growing daily and do I feel I am developing a deeper relationship with GOD each day.  I can honestly say I believe others can see the God in my growing daily and I do feel I am developing a deeper relationship with God each day.

Prayer: Father I think you for being so forgiving. I think you for your patience as I continue to grow and learn how to sin less. I think you for giving me one more day to be a better me than I was yesterday and to be more like the person I was designed to be each day. Amen!

9/22/2014 5:52 pm  #14

Verses 1 and 2.

1 Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.
2     By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.

Observations: Born of God.... Love the children of God, when we love God..

Application: John informs me that if I believe that Jesus is Christ, that I am a Christian and I am saved. Also, if I love God, I have to love his children.  Not his children that I choose to love but all his children since he is the father of us all and that makes us all brothers and sisters in Christ.  One family that loves each other. If I think of it like my family from my earthly parents, regardless of what my brother or sister may have done to me, I still love them. I may not like them at times, I may not like their ways and I may not agree with them at all times but I still love my brothers and sisters regardless.

Although, I'm not going to soap it, I like that the final verse is about idols and false Gods. We are being reminded that anything and everything we place before God is an idol. I need to constantly check myself and ensure I am not placing anything before God.

9/22/2014 6:16 pm  #15

NLWnMD wrote:

I always say thank you Lord for giving me one more day to be a better me than I was yesterday

Am I the same place I was yesterday in my relationship with God

That is an encouraging thought.  It is so easy to be hard on ourselves, but we need to focus on how far God has brought us.

1 John 4:9-10, 16-19

9 In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. 10 In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

16 So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. 17 By this is love perfected with us, so that we may have confidence for the day of judgment, because as he is so also are we in this world. 18 There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love. 19 We love because he first loved us.

I have always struggled in my walk with God in being performance oriented, that my value in God’s sight is based on my performance. These verses tell me that God died for my sins because He loved me, not because I had to meet some measure of goodness. And He died for my sins. So God knows and understands that I won’t always perform perfectly. Yet, He loves me and paid the price to redeem me. I have always known this, but sometimes it is hard to internalize this truth and live in this truth.

But verse 18 says there is no fear in love. And God’s perfect love should cast out my fear of judgment.

Praise God.

Last edited by TBG (9/25/2014 7:19 am)

9/23/2014 7:01 am  #16

1 John 5:3-4

Scripture:
For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome.  For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith.

Observation:
For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments.  And His commandments are not burdensome.

We have been born again and have, already, overcome the powers of this world. Our abiding, continuing, and steadfast faith is evidence that we have overcome.

Application:
I wait for emotional feelings of love to motivate me to obey God.  That is fine to want to please God and to desire closeness with Him.  I desire and long to feel close to God and this is the motivation to obey Him.  That is fine. However, this passage says that if I just obey Him then that is the definition of love – not just emotional feelings.  Love is obedience. I also think that perhaps the more obedient I am, the more I feel and experience the emotional feelings of love for God.

God’s commandments are not burdensome.  Really they come down to loving God, loving others, and having a heart of purity, living a life of holiness set apart to bring honor to God.  They are not some long list of external behaviors, but an inward yielding of the heart.  I need to yield my heart and desires to God.

Colossians 3:15-16 
And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful.  Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.

We have to yield and let God’s spirit transform and rule in our hearts by yielding our will and desires to Him.

9/23/2014 8:08 am  #17

Courtney's post from Friday does a great job of summarizing 1 John.  Make sure you stop to view it.
Greater Is He That Is In You {1 John 1-5}

Board footera