Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/15/2016 12:22 pm  #11

Re: Ecclesiastes

I was baptized at age 10 and although I knew about Jesus and I believed I haven't always lived my life like it. My parents were divorced and they were both believers. My mother did not attend church, my dad did most of the time. I was a typical teenager/young adult doing things that, while they weren't terrible, they were not right either. As an adult and once I had children I decided to attend church. My husband was required to go to church 3 times a week growing up so as an adult he had no desire. I took our son to the church my husband grew up in and it was just a little country church. I know he didn't get much from it and he really didn't like to go. Over the years my husband became an alcoholic and life changed a great deal, so when my son was a teenager I didn't force him to go anymore. (which was a big mistake on my part). After our daughter was born and was several years old I decided I NEEDED to be back in church and so did my daughter. So I started attending a different church with my father and my sister and her family. This is a wonderful church and I get so fulfilled every week. They have great programs for my daughter and when my son ( who is now grown and in the coast guard) is home he even enjoys going. I had always prayed daily and while things seemed to not be getting any better with my marriage I was praying even more. Sometimes even pleading!

It wasn't until I hit my "breaking point" that I feel like I REALLY felt Jesus. I had come to terms with the fact that this was my life and I would just have to accept it. At this point my husband was a full blown alcoholic.
I remember laying in bed about 9 months ago and I would cry myself to sleep every night. This particular night I had prayed to God and told him I was done. If this was the life I was to have then so be it. I cried and prayed that he just give me peace with it. If I could have peace I could handle the rest. The next morning I woke up and I had never felt more at peace. I knew it would be ok and I was not going to worry anymore. I continued to pray about things and thanked God for my peace. About 2 months later I decided I had to confront my husband. I told him I was done with his drinking and I was leaving. We had had numerous fights about it in the past which lead no where so I figured this would be the same and he would tell me to hit the door.

To my surprise it was just the opposite, he has since stopped drinking, started going to church with us, reconciled his relationship with our son and with his parents. We still have major issues to deal with because over those years I had emotionally detached completely. I care about him greatly but we are no where near "husband and wife" status. We are currently in counseling and hoping and praying that it all works out. But I have learned that I can not worry about it, I put it in Gods hands and I still have peace, peace that is so unbelievable.

So, I believe that while I have always been a believer, this was my first real encounter with God and boy was it a big one. Never doubt what He can do for you if you give it all to him.

6/16/2016 7:00 am  #12

Stephanie wrote:

It wasn't until I hit my "breaking point" that I feel like I REALLY felt Jesus. I had come to terms with the fact that this was my life and I would just have to accept it. At this point my husband was a full blown alcoholic.
I remember laying in bed about 9 months ago and I would cry myself to sleep every night. This particular night I had prayed to God and told him I was done. If this was the life I was to have then so be it. I cried and prayed that he just give me peace with it. If I could have peace I could handle the rest. The next morning I woke up and I had never felt more at peace. I knew it would be ok and I was not going to worry anymore. I continued to pray about things and thanked God for my peace. About 2 months later I decided I had to confront my husband. I told him I was done with his drinking and I was leaving. We had had numerous fights about it in the past which lead no where so I figured this would be the same and he would tell me to hit the door.

To my surprise it was just the opposite, he has since stopped drinking, started going to church with us, reconciled his relationship with our son and with his parents. We still have major issues to deal with because over those years I had emotionally detached completely. I care about him greatly but we are no where near "husband and wife" status. We are currently in counseling and hoping and praying that it all works out. But I have learned that I can not worry about it, I put it in Gods hands and I still have peace, peace that is so unbelievable.

So, I believe that while I have always been a believer, this was my first real encounter with God and boy was it a big one. Never doubt what He can do for you if you give it all to him.

That is a powerful testimony and a very difficult journey. Thank you for reminding us to hold tight to God no matter what. And how cool that He was able to become so tangible for you and to meet those emotional needs. It is I think harder to rely on God to meet emotional needs than physical needs I think. A lot of times we can focus on our difficult, or even just disappointing, circumstances and get resentful and seek sinful ways to get our needs met instead of doing what you did and leaning into God with submission and trust.

6/16/2016 7:01 am  #13

Ecclesiastes Solomon’s Failure Day 4

GMG Discussion Question:
What do we learn about God’s character, His heart, and His ways regarding His relationship with Solomon?

We learn that God has steadfast and faithful love in how He consistently remembers His love for David. God will fulfill His purpose and His promises (He said the Messiah would come from David’s line and He told Abraham that he would bless his line) and in the midst of human failure God still ensured that His plan would be fulfilled and His promises kept. God will be angry when we disobey and dishonor Him. He will give consequences. Even in consequences He shows mercy.

How does this transfer in your own life? What have you learned about the character of God, his heart and his ways regarding your relationship with Him?

Like we saw in Numbers, God was faithful in the face of Israel’s lack of faithfulness. I feel like that. It is like what SandraW shared Tuesday about how we can have peace even when we fail because of our confidence in God’s forgiveness and love.

God has always been faithful to me. I am humbled by the fact that He loves me so much that He wanted to pursue to and to save me so that He could have a relationship with me.

Why then do we, like Solomon, take that for granted by putting other things ahead of our relationship with God? I guess it is the sin nature in us which is why we need to adamantly work to starve our nature and feed and strengthen the Spirit in us.

6/17/2016 8:16 am  #14

Ecclesiastes 1:1-3

1:2-3 “Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. “Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless.” What do people gain from all their labors at which they toil under the sun?

That is the hard lesson to learn that the goals that are important to me are ultimately meaningless unless they are to help me ultimately do God’s will. They should just be short-term goals that will allow me to accomplish God’s will over the long run.

If my goals are really all that is important, what will I gain because really this life really is fleeting.

It is astonishing how hard headed I am. I just keep wanting to have things and life like I see it.

It is so important to keep eyes on Christ because He is our real life. We cannot see what real life is now, but we will see it when see our life in Christ at His return. Colossians 3:4.

GMG Discussion Question:
Read John 3:16.  What does this passage mean to you?

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

God showed His great love for me that He made the greatest sacrifice. God humbled Himself and allowed Himself to be disrespected and dishonored and punished for all the things that I did and continue to do wrong. He did this because He knows that I can never meet His standard and that in order for me to have a future and a relationship with Him, He had to pay the penalty in my weakness.

He did this to give me eternal life. It does not say He did this to give me a longer life on this earth (people get upset when God allows a loved one to die). It also does not say He did this to give me more of the world’s things. He did it to give me real life, eternal life. I will see and know and realize my real life when Christ returns and I see my life in Him. Colossians 3:4.

6/19/2016 8:50 pm  #15

Week of June 20
This Week’s Reading Assignment

Good Morning Girls has the Ecclesiastes introductory post with all the resources.
S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.

Monday
Reading: Ecclesiastes 1:1-11
Good Morning Girls: Introduction to the Week
Verse of the Day: 1 Corinthians 15:58
Optional GMG Discussion Question:
Do you struggle with the monotony of life? Do you feel the urge to always seek out something new?

Tuesday
Reading: Ecclesiastes 1:12-18
Verse of the Day: Psalm 90:14
What lessons have you learned so far about the meaning of work, knowledge and wisdom? How are you living?  Are you living only for this world, “under the sun” and “chasing after the wind,” or are you living for Jesus, who is the Creator of the sun and is above the sun?

Wednesday
Reading: Ecclesiastes 2:1-11
Verse of the Day: Colossians 3:23
What messages have you received from the world regarding pleasure, laughter and wine? Tell about a time when seeking one of these three things led you to a dead end road.

For personal and private reflection (unless you choose to share): What gifts has God given you that you need to stop using for your own purposes and begin using for His glory? (It may be a dream, a possession, a position, or something else God is laying on your heart right now.)

Thursday
Reading: Ecclesiastes 2:12-17
Verse of the Day: Galatians 6:9
How does Galatians 6:9 encourage you in the midst of the season of life you are in today?
As believers, how should we view death and/or labor according to 1 Corinthians 15:55-58, Philippians 2:12-16? Is it easy for you to view death and labor in this way? Why or why not?

Friday
Reading: Ecclesiastes 2:18-26
Verse of the Day: Ecclesiastes 2:26
Good Morning Girls: Devotional Video
Have you committed to something that looked enjoyable but later you find it steals your sleep and your peace and you regret ever saying yes? Tell about this time and what you learned.

For personal and private reflection unless you desire to share: Have you confronted your own mortality? Have you thought about if you will be remembered as one who gathered and collected or as one who was content with the simple pleasure of life that come from God? What will be your legacy? What do you want your legacy to be?

6/19/2016 8:52 pm  #16

Ecclesiastes 1:1-11

GMG Discussion Question
Do you struggle with the monotony of life?  Do you feel the urge to always seek out something new?

I would not say I am struggling with the monotony of life. I am struggling still with thinking "if I can just do x" or "once I get to y," then everything will be in place.

Galatians 6:7-9
Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap. For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life. And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

Let us sow to eternal things and not work for earthy rewards or purposes. And let us work with perseverance trusting God to be a just judge who will reward our good work.

Above the Sun Perspective
Colossians 3:23 Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men
1 Corinthians 15:58 Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.

All work is not in vain, work that is done for God’s glory is what gives value.

Filling Ourselves
In looking at what Courtney wrote about trying to fill ourselves with TV or entertainment, I definitely do this. When I am overwhelmed or exhausted I want to veg out. For me it is the Internet, but I am still not refreshed after hours of surfing. Or I get lost in a book where I will read it till late at night. Books do give me an escape, but ultimately it does not refresh me.

Someone suggested when you are too stressed or exhausted to even read the Bible, instead or vegging out on media to try to just pray, like a stream of conscious prayer, just talking to God and sharing my heart not anything heavy or formulaic. Or alternatively, she suggested to just rest and sing praise songs.

I had been doing this but then slipped back into old habits. I am going to give these suggestions a try and try to curb the time waster the Internet is for me and even allowing myself to put off other priorities because I can’t put a book down!

6/20/2016 9:10 pm  #17

Ecclesiastes 1:12-18

1:13 And I applied my heart to seek and to search out by wisdom all that is done under heaven. It is an unhappy business that God has given to the children of man to be busy with.

He gave his mind and will towards understanding by his wisdom.

Reality is spiritual, not physical. We must see spiritual things with spiritual eyes.

Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might understand the things freely given us by God. And we impart this in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual truths to those who are spiritual. The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned. 1 Corinthians 2:12-14

1:17 And I applied my heart to know wisdom and to know madness and folly. I perceived that this also is but a striving after wind.

Whether one seeks wisdom, success, partying, or debauchery, all of it is in vain. It is like trying to catch a hold of the wind. It is fruitless and pointless since it can’t be done.

1:18 For in much wisdom is much vexation, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow.

The more we know, the more we know we don’t know and the more we understand the true state of things without God. It either drives us to God and His hope and purposes, or it drives us to misery and hopelessness.

We see this in people of great intellect and success. If they don’t come to the Lord they can become jaded and pessimistic.

GMG Discussion Question:
What lessons have you learned so far about the meaning of work, knowledge and wisdom?

Really nothing we do is of any consequence except as and if we are doing it ultimately to fulfill God’s purpose. It does not have to be directly, but I mean whether it is supporting our husbands, being good stewards of our homes and bodies, etc. But when we do things for our shallow reasons, it is so pointless and leads to just anxiety and dissatisfaction.

How are you living?  Are you living only for this world, “under the sun” and “chasing after the wind,” or are you living for Jesus, who is the Creator of the sun and is above the sun?

Like I said, this study was timely, and helped me readjust some priorities.

6/21/2016 2:02 pm  #18

No matter how "smart" we are, we are nothing without God. This hit home with me particularly with my marital situation. I think a lot of times I am searching for something in my marriage to make me happy instead of relying on God to make it happen. Then I feel that my husband has failed me because it didn't happen. I think this is where I "chase after the wind" the most. I need to fulfill God's purpose within my marriage instead of expecting my marriage to fulfill me. If that makes any sense at all. Once I can do that then I think I will feel the true satisfaction that I am looking for. I definitely am living "under the sun" and need to strive to make big changes.

6/21/2016 10:08 pm  #19

Stephanie wrote:

I think a lot of times I am searching for something in my marriage to make me happy instead of relying on God to make it happen. Then I feel that my husband has failed me because it didn't happen. I think this is where I "chase after the wind" the most. I need to fulfill God's purpose within my marriage instead of expecting my marriage to fulfill me. If that makes any sense at all. Once I can do that then I think I will feel the true satisfaction that I am looking for. I definitely am living "under the sun" and need to strive to make big changes.

I have noticed the same thing. When I am overall unhappy about life, I project that onto my husband and feel he is not making me happy enough or I need more emotional connection from him. But when I am happy and content with life, I don't feel my husband needs to give me more emotional connection. So, what I am in fact doing is looking to him to meet fulfillment that I should be looking to God to fill.

6/21/2016 10:09 pm  #20

Ecclesiastes 2:1-11

The study guide highlights that in these verses, Solomon begins with himself as he searches for meaning. Over and over in this passage he says “I”, “my”, “me” or “myself.” He didn’t look to God for the answers.

He searches for meaning on his own without seeking God.

Even when we want what appears to be normal wholesome things, marriage, children, home, that is still seeking for meaning apart from God.

Solomon attempted to build heaven on earth. (Study Guide)

This cannot be the place we are banking on finding all joy and happiness. This is not our heaven; this is a fallen and sinful world.

2 Timothy 3:4 …. lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God

Do I love my desires more than I love God?

Board footera