Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/04/2016 6:42 pm  #31

Re: James

A day behind but I will try to catch up.  I had seen the four words of James 2:13 somewhere before but didn't know the location til I read Mercy triumphs over judgement.  What powerful 4 words.

8/04/2016 7:50 pm  #32

S:22 You see that faith was active along with his works and faith was brought to completion by the works.
24 You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone. 

O  Reading the word is good.  But taking it to heart and acting on God's plan for me as an individual is a walk in faith.  Striving to be impartial, means smiling or greeting the best dressed as well as the least dressed and acting on the word.  2:8 not just hearing the word but doing the word.

I think in order to truly have faith there must be an active part. To follow the example of Jesus means some application of the word. God's call maybe a very small thing - holding a door or saying thank you.  I think we need to act on the words if we are truly walking in faith.  Which is what SOAK is really good.  Makes you think about how to apply what you read.  Prepares you ahead of time for a situation.  

K Please Lord, fill my work with my faith and my faith with works.  Help me to follow the example of Jesus.  To be faithful like Abraham.  To spread a little faith and love in our broken world.  Amen. 

8/05/2016 2:38 am  #33

S: James 3 ,3-6. We can make a large horse turn around and go wherever we want by means of a small bit in its mouth. And a tiny rudder makes a huge ship turn wherever the pilot wants it to go even though the winds are strong. So also the tongue is a small thing but what enormous damage it can do. A tiny spark can set a great forest on fire . And the tongue is a flame of fire. It is full of wickedness that can ruin your whole life. It can turn the entire course of your life into a blazing flame of destruction,  for it is set on fire by hell itself.

O: So the tongue is what will direct me to either good or evil depending on how I choose to speak, how
terrifying! We  think words are disposable,  once uttered they are gone? And if no one hears me speak does it matter what I say? Well yes it sounds like it does. So this is not only about others but about me, the things I say to myself. Words I hears from others and myself can be harmful to me, an extra thing to battle against an opportunity for satan to attack me, then also things I say to others can lay them low make them vulnerable. The tongue can really wound if we use it incorrectly. The other side of this is that we can also bless ourselves and others when we speak in love , it is a powerful tool that we can use to strengthen Gods kingdom. I have a family member who has set a forest fire with their tongue it has caused so much
pain and hurt, and the fire still rages as new words are frequently added yet they seem to enjoy giving their
tongue free reign.

A: To make every word you say considered, and be really aware of the good or harm you could be doing every time you speak. I think that asking the holy spirit to guide and control my tongue must be the only way to go, verse 8 says no one can tame the tongue.

K: Heavenly father I ask you send your holy spirit to guide and help me control my tongue, keep me aware of the power for good and evil that are within my words for myself and those around me and remind me that this is a choice. Amen

A:

8/05/2016 6:59 am  #34

S: 3:5 So also the tongue is a small member yet it boasts of great exploits.
3:10 From the same mouth come blessing and curing.  My brothers and sisters this out not to be so.

O: This small part of us has such a big impact. I need to take James 1 and 2 to heart and make it part of my inner most self and thus my faith, Not just hearers of the word but doers. Love your neighbor as yourself. Bring faith to completeness with works. The tongue becomes a VERY important part of all of these.  If I study the word, but then go out and am partial to the people around me, I am not not following the faithful.  I don't think anyone is perfect.  But this is a good reminder to think before speaking.

A: This one is hard.  Listen more and keep the tongue in check.  Ask for guidance and wisdom before speaking. No one is perfect. This will be a lifetime of learning.

K: Lord, please guide me to use my tongue for blessing and not curses. Thank you for the words of James to help me remember that the small tongue can set huge fires. Help me to remember to listen more and be intentional when I speak.  Amen. 

8/05/2016 9:10 am  #35

James 3:1-12

3:2 For we all stumble in many ways. And if anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle his whole body.

O: it is so difficult to control the tongue that if one can do so, one can control ones whole body. It is as if the tongue is an indicator of the heart.

A: Controlling my tongue is the first step in controlling my whole body. If I can control my tongue, I can control my thoughts. If I control my thoughts, I can control my attitudes. If I can control my attitude, I can control my actions.

3:8 but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.

O: We need the power of the Holy Spirit to tame our tongue.

A: It reminds me of the GMG video devotional from Wednesday. If a cup is full and you bump it, whatever is in it spills out. So, I need to be being filled with the Spirit so when I am bumped, right words come from my mouth.

3:9-10 With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so.

O: It is almost like being double minded. We bless God, but then curse what He has made, what He loves, and curse His image.

A: As a believer, my body should be yielded to God.

And do not present your members as instruments of unrighteousness to sin, but present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. (Romans 6:13)

As a believer, I should bear godly fruit. If the Spirit is in me, the words of the Spirit should come out of me.

K: Lord help me to continually set my mind on things above and not things below. Help me to be mindful of the things of the Spirit and to think, not first of the task at hand, or the issue, but to always think fist about the person in front of me, and to love them as You love me and to treat them as someone treasured by You.

GMG Discussion Question: The tongue is capable of both blessing God and cursing people. James says this should not be so. Has your tongue grown out of control? In what areas do you need to confess your sin to God and make changes?

I can speak very passionately and it can overwhelm people. I need to stop and calm down before I speak.

8/07/2016 6:52 pm  #36

(The links were broken. I just corrected them. They should now work. Sorry)

Week of August 8

This Week’s Reading Assignment

Reply Below for Group Discussion
S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.

Monday
Reading: James 3:13-18
Verse of the Day: James 3:17
Good Morning Girls: Introduction to the Week
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Wisdom is a gift from God and reflect the character of God. It leads to godliness. Are you living wisely? In what areas of your life do you need more wisdom?

Tuesday
Reading: James 4:1-12
Verse of the Day: James 4:1
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Do you have a strained relationship with someone close to you in your life? Why is there tension between you two? In what ways can you safeguard yourself from confusing your own personal desires with God's desires?

Wednesday
Reading: James 4:13-17
Verse of the Day: James 4:17
Good Morning Girls: Devotional and Video
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Is there an area in your life where you know what to do but are not doing it? What changes do you need to make today to avoid sin in your life?

Thursday
Reading: James 5:1-12
Verse of the Day: James 5:12
Optional GMG Discussion Question: A christian should be trustworthy and a person of their word. Do you struggle with keeping your word? Is there a promise you need to follow through on or someone you need to apologize to for a broken promise?

Friday
Reading: James 5:13-19
Verse of the Day: James 5:16
Good Morning Girls: Devotional and Video
Optional GMG Discussion Question: James tells us there is great power in the prayers of a righteous person. Have you neglected your prayer life? How have you seen the power of God displayed through your prayers?

Last edited by TBG (8/09/2016 8:01 am)

8/08/2016 7:31 am  #37

James 3:13-18

3:13 Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good conduct let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom.

Wisdom brings humility (meekness).
Wisdom is the proper application of knowledge.

As we grow in Biblical knowledge and grow in the consistency of our practice of that knowledge, we will grow in humility.

3:14-15 But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast and be false to the truth. This is not the wisdom that comes down from above, but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic.

There can be a tendency among believers to place greater condemnation or a greater emphasis on the “big” sins. But, look, envy and selfishness (seeking self – self look good to others, self to be recognized, what self wants, likes, thinks)are demonic! Those are pretty strong words.

Envy and seeking self are the world’s wisdom: go for what you want, be true to yourself, seek selfish desires, you have to do what fulfills you.

3:16 For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice.

They are the source of every evil thing. All other sins in life are rooted in envy and selfishness.

Application
I need to meditate more on the word as I go about my day and seek to make sure that I respond, speak, and act in a way that rightly applies that knowledge. That will develop a stronger attitude of humility in me both towards others, but also humility towards accepting whatever God is allowing in my life.

Biblical wisdom is seeking to honor God and humility, not self seeking. When there is conflict, or when I do get upset with someone, I should step back and ask where I am being envious or selfish in this. That can change my heart to instead focus on being humble and seeking the others good first and seeking to bring God glory in the circumstance.

GMG Discussion Question: Wisdom is a gift from God and reflects the character of God. It leads to godliness. Are you living wisely? In what areas of your life do you need more wisdom?

Just spending more time meditating on the Word throughout the day and not being offended by others. So this was a good study for me today.

8/08/2016 3:39 pm  #38

James 3:17  is just so rich in truth.  God's wisdom is first PURE, then it is PEACEABLE, GENTLE, REASONABLE, FULL OF MERCY AND GOOD FRUITS, UNWAVERING without HYPORISY.
This is opposite of the wisdom this world gives.  The "wisdom" of this world brings about disorder and EVERY evil thing.  When you line up God's wisdom along side of this world's wisdom who would ever want to chase after anything other than the wisdom that comes from God.  It seems like a no brainer but yet day after day I battle chasing the wisdoms of this world. 
I battle living wisely in some of my relationships.  I need to ask for more wisdom in that area. 
Great study today! 

8/09/2016 8:36 am  #39

JRoberts73 wrote:

It seems like a no brainer but yet day after day I battle chasing the wisdoms of this world. 
I battle living wisely in some of my relationships.  I need to ask for more wisdom in that area. 
Great study today! 

It seems the world is constantly in our face and so we focus on the things here more than godly things. We have to make a specific effort to keep our mind of things of God and tune out worldly distractions.

8/09/2016 8:37 am  #40

James 4:1-12

4:3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions.
We are not supposed to be seeking self, but seeking to do God’s work. We should seek for the honor and glory of God and let God meet our desires and change our hearts.

4:4 You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.

Observation:
We just studied this verse in Sunday School. We noted that world is not the people, but the philosophies, beliefs, system, and thought patterns.

My Bible notes that the word “friendship” here is only used once in the New Testament. It means a strong emotional attachment, deep, intimate longing.

Application:
We can’t have a deep longing to do things the way the world does them. Meaning to seek after our own desires or even legitimate needs in the way the world says is OK to do. We should not think and act like the world. We should not use the world’s reasoning, or embrace its values. We should not accept the world’s definition of what important, how we should act, what we should want.

4:6-8 But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, "God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble." Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded

If we humble ourselves before God (by submitting to His will and submitting to our circumstances and His control of our life), He will give us more grace, grace to rescue us from our sin and selfishness and to walk rightly before Him.

Submit to wherever I am in life and God’s plans or what maybe God has just allowed to happen, or even if it is because of my own actions – it does not matter. God has ultimate power and authority. Submit to and accept His authority and reject the lies of the world.

Desire intimacy with God; live pure; be 100% committed to God; don’t be split between attachment to worldly things, selfish desires and glorifying God.

GMG Discussion Question: In what ways can you safeguard yourself from confusing your own personal desires with God's desires?

God’s desires are always to be patient, and loving to others and to give them grace and forgiveness and to not return curse for curse, but blessing. His ways are to bring glory to Him and exhibit His character.

Board footera