Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/10/2016 1:51 am  #41

Re: James

James4  13-17

O: We should remeber two thing, firstly there is a much bigger picture to Gods Kingdom than we will ever grasp on earth, and secondly its not all about you!. We can become so insular wrapped up in striving for what the world offers, money position,  perceived power, that we forget why we are here. We are here to serve god and build his kingdom on earth so that at the name of Jesus every knee shall bow, to care for his creation and love as he has loved us.

A: For me the application of this is to try and build a really close relationship with God, to listen hard and be obedient to whatever he asks of me, to know what he asks might be for the benefit someone else, but ultimately his Kingdom, and may well involve sacrifice on my part. To look for that instruction with a joyful heart (not always easy). And most of all not to judge what the Lord asks of me with the values of the world, that often brings me to the place of, "thats not enough" or "thats too much". To tust that God will provide for all my needs whilst I sit in obedience.  Don't get me wrong I fail all the time but for me I think this is the blueprint.

K: Father please give me wisdom to know when it is you speaking , perseverance and courage to do
whatever you ask and an attitude that doesn't care what the world thinks. In Jesus name Amen

8/10/2016 9:22 am  #42

James 4:13-17

4:14 yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes.

It is so hard to wrap ones head around the fact that we don’t get to be in ultimate control of our future. Yes, I can and should make responsible plans and look for ways to God to use my gifts to serve Him and others. But, I must understand that my plans are not set in stone and not get too attached to them and accept that I don’t know and don’t control the future.

8/10/2016 9:24 am  #43

chocolatejulie wrote:

James4 13-17

O: We should remeber two thing, firstly there is a much bigger picture to Gods Kingdom than we will ever grasp on earth, and secondly its not all about you!. We can become so insular wrapped up in striving for what the world offers, money position, perceived power, that we forget why we are here. We are here to serve god and build his kingdom on earth so that at the name of Jesus every knee shall bow, to care for his creation and love as he has loved us.

A: For me the application of this is to try and build a really close relationship with God, to listen hard and be obedient to whatever he asks of me, to know what he asks might be for the benefit someone else, but ultimately his Kingdom, and may well involve sacrifice on my part. To look for that instruction with a joyful heart (not always easy). And most of all not to judge what the Lord asks of me with the values of the world, that often brings me to the place of, "thats not enough" or "thats too much". To tust that God will provide for all my needs whilst I sit in obedience. Don't get me wrong I fail all the time but for me I think this is the blueprint.

K: Father please give me wisdom to know when it is you speaking , perseverance and courage to do
whatever you ask and an attitude that doesn't care what the world thinks. In Jesus name Amen

That is really powerful chocolatejulie. Thank you for sharing. I bolded the parts that really spoke to me.

8/10/2016 9:29 am  #44

"chocolatejulie wrote:
James4 13-17

O: We should remeber two thing, firstly there is a much bigger picture to Gods Kingdom than we will ever grasp on earth, and secondly its not all about you!. We can become so insular wrapped up in striving for what the world offers, money position, perceived power, that we forget why we are here. We are here to serve god and build his kingdom on earth so that at the name of Jesus every knee shall bow, to care for his creation and love as he has loved us."

Amen!  It gives me such peace when I just take a breath and say "there is a bigger picture here that I don't see"  I just need to trust in the One who holds that "picture."   And I need to tell myself more often that "it is not all about me!" 
This James study is a "toe stepper on-er".  Good Stuff!!   Thank you all for your insights!

Last edited by JRoberts73 (8/10/2016 9:31 am)

8/10/2016 4:29 pm  #45

I read this quote today that I thought I would share.

"We do not have a God who forever indulges our whims but a God whom we trust with our destinies."
Eugene Peterson

8/11/2016 2:55 am  #46

JRoberts73 wrote:

"We do not have a God who forever indulges our whims but a God whom we trust with our destinies."
Eugene Peterson

How very true . Thanks

8/11/2016 2:14 pm  #47

JRoberts73 wrote:

Eugene Peterson

Thank you for that.  I may have to share that one on my social media!

That is the hard lesson we faced when we studied Job, God's absolute sovereignty.

I think the key word in that quote is "trust." Yes, He is absolutely sovereign. But we can trust that this sovereignty is being wielded by an absolute just and loving God, who shows us with His grace and mercy.

But, oh how it is sometimes a challenge to let go of our whims and desires and really give our destinies in this life over to God. Not because we can't trust His goodness, His plan and His judgment, but just because sometime we just want things to go our way and we want our way. How I pray for a heart that is more concerned with kingdom of God than my own desires.

8/11/2016 2:15 pm  #48

Just got my internet connection back, so I will get my daily post up later.

Board footera