Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/08/2016 8:33 pm  #11

Re: Judges

Judges 9

Scripture 9:2 "Say in the ears of all the leaders of Shechem, 'Which is better for you, that all seventy of the sons of Jerubbaal rule over you, or that one rule over you?' Remember also that I am your bone and your flesh."

Observation
Unlike his father, Abimelech had not humility and actively wrestled for power instead of declining power.

Application
Well, I can’t say this is a Biblical application. But this passage makes me think that one should never select someone for a position of leadership who is campaigning for it. People who want power should be views with suspicion. Be careful of people who want to lift themselves up.

Scripture 9:5 And he went to his father's house at Ophrah and killed his brothers the sons of Jerubbaal, seventy men, on one stone. But Jotham the youngest son of Jerubbaal was left, for he hid himself.

This multiplying of wives lead to great bloodshed and heartache for Gideon. This is similar to the heartache polygamy lead to with Moses and Ishmael, and we will see with David’s sons.

God had not expressly prohibited polygamy, but it was not His plan and it was not His best. We will see later where He tells the Kings not to engage in this practice.

Suffering that can come from compromise, even if it is not absolute disobedience, but to ignore Gods’ will, pleasure, and best so that we can fulfill our own flesh may lead to unnecessary suffering and heartache. And flesh does not refer to just sexuality, it is any desire we have.

Oh, that we would not ask how far we can stray, but long to stay close and intimate with God.

Psalm 1:1-3 Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers, but whose delight is in the law of the LORD, and who meditates on his law day and night. That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither— whatever they do prospers.

Scripture
9:19 if you then have acted in good faith and integrity with Jerubbaal and with his house this day, then rejoice in Abimelech, and let him also rejoice in you.

Observation
It seems that Jotham is saying that if this is what you wanted, then, enjoy the results of being ruled by someone like that ruling over you.

Application
We really need to think if we are willing to select leaders who are base and that will rule with thorns to rip our flesh.

Scripture
9:23 And God sent an evil spirit between Abimelech and the leaders of Shechem, and the leaders of Shechem dealt treacherously with Abimelech,

Observation
We see this as the start of the curse from verse 20. Both parties will treacherously destroy each other.

Application
People who acted dishonorably, can’t trust each other because they have proven themselves to be dishonest and the type of person to betray a partner.

12/12/2016 10:04 am  #12

Week of December 12
This Week’s Reading Assignment
S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.

Monday
Reading: Judges 11
Verse of the Day: Judges 11:24
Good Morning Girls: Introduction to the Week
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Jephthah remained confident in God’s promises knowing that God would prevail. Name a time when you faced a situation that you had to remind yourself that God’s promises would be fulfilled no matter what.

Tuesday
Reading: Judges 12
Verse of the Day: Judges 12:3
Optional GMG Discussion Question: God and God alone can save us, not man. Name a time that God has stepped in and rescued you from a horrible situation.

Wednesday
Reading: Judges 13
Verse of the Day: Judges 13:24
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Monoah sought out God’s instructions. God was faithful in revealing their duties. When was the last time you sought direction from God?

Thursday
Reading: Judges 14
Verse of the Day: Judges 14:6
Optional GMG Discussion Question: The Spirit of the Lord came upon Samson twice in this chapter. This shows the involvement of God in Samson’s life. How have you seen God’s involvement in your life?

Friday
Reading: Judges 15
Verse of the Day: Judges 15:18
Good Morning Girls: Devotional and Video
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Even though Samson was strong, he knew he had to call on God to help him. Have you ever been in a situation where you were determined to fix the situation yourself, only to be reminded by God, that we must rely on Him and not ourselves?

12/12/2016 10:45 am  #13

Judges 10

Scripture
10:13-14 Yet you have forsaken me and served other gods; therefore I will save you no more. Go and cry out to the gods whom you have chosen; let them save you in the time of your distress."

That is a powerful statement. God is so patient in withholding His wrath. He waits and waits because He longs for all to repent and turn to Him and avoid the coming wrath.

In discussing God’s coming judgement, Peter writes: The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9

But one can’t keep rejecting God and not think there will eventually be a consequence. We should repent while we are offered God’s mercy.

Scripture
10:15 And the people of Israel said to the LORD, "We have sinned; do to us whatever seems good to you. Only please deliver us this day."

They would rightfully rather be under God’s punishment than that of man.

This is correct because we know God is just. We know His punishment will be just and merciful even if painful. We must learn to trust and fear God more than we trust what we see around us. To fear God more than we fear the consequences of this world, and to trust God with our heart and our pain more than we trust the world to fill us and make us whole.

Scripture
10:16 So they put away the foreign gods from among them and served the Lord. And His soul could no longer endure the misery of Israel.

Observation
Such an incredible testimony of God’s grace, love, and forgiveness. They have been totally worthless, and have time and time again rejected, insulted, and reviled God. Yet once again, His heart breaks for His love of these unlovable people and He gives them undeserved mercy and grace.

Who among us would do this? Do we understand just how much they had offended God and forfeited any right they had to His graciousness? And, yet He did show grace so that His name would be glorified when people saw His character, His strength and His greatness. His name would be glorified when He issued a Messiah from the line of people He preserved. All would know His great power and sovereignty.

Application
We need to accept that we are just as wicked as Israel and we are totally bankrupt. God’s wrath is justly pour out against us, except, that by His mercy, His love, and His grace He has chosen to redeem us from our wicked nature. While we have been faithless, God has show Himself to be faithful so that people may glorify Him and praise Him for His great work of salvation.

12/12/2016 1:33 pm  #14

Judges 11

11:1 Now Jephthah the Gileadite was a mighty warrior, but he was the son of a prostitute.

But…. But, he is disqualified, but he is not good enough. Well, not for God.

Right off the bat, I love this verse. I love how the Bible consistently shows the value in the people who are marginalized and who society sees as outcast.

I know I have mentioned this before, but do you know Rahab, the non-Jewish prostitute is listed in the lineage of Jesus in Matthew? She was also listed in Hebrews 11 Hall of Faith.

God is a god of restoration and there are not throw away people or throw away lives in His eyes.

11:9 Jephthah said to the elders of Gilead, "If you bring me home again to fight against the Ammonites, and the LORD gives them over to me, I will be your head."

He was acknowledging that it would be God that would obtain the victory, and not himself.

11:23-24 So then the LORD, the God of Israel, dispossessed the Amorites from before his people Israel; and are you to take possession of them? Will you not possess what Chemosh your god gives you to possess? And all that the LORD our God has dispossessed before us, we will possess.

If you want to worship other gods, then go to your gods for what you want, don’t expect God to provide and deliver. Take the blessings from your god, or the things who idolize and chase after in life. When things go wrong go to your success, money, pleasure, pride, media, consumer goods, lifestyle, whatever it is that you have elevated as a god in your life.

11:25 Now are you any better than Balak the son of Zippor, king of Moab? Did he ever contend against Israel, or did he ever go to war with them?

Why do we think we can contend with God? Accept God’s strength and sovereignty and stop fighting what He decrees.

11:28 But the king of the Ammonites did not listen to the words of Jephthah that he sent to him.

I like how he initially tried to reason with them before going to war.

11:36 And she said to him, "My father, you have opened your mouth to the LORD; do to me according to what has gone out of your mouth, now that the LORD has avenged you on your enemies, on the Ammonites."

Such submission. This was not even a just or godly thing, yet she submitted. I am not suggesting we should submit to ungodly or immoral things.  But her submission to what is wrong is in stark contrast to our willingness to submit to a God we know would only do what is just and right and true.  We cannot even trust and submit to Gods plans for us around jobs family living situations etc. or our hopes and desires

11:38-39 So he said, "Go." Then he sent her away for two months, and she departed, she and her companions, and wept for her virginity on the mountains. And at the end of two months, she returned to her father, who did with her according to his vow that he had made. She had never known a man,

We should take care not to make unwise vows.

Some commentators suggest that she was a living sacrifice with a life dedicated to remaining unmarried and thus she mourned her perpetual virginity.

However, most of the ones I have read are clear that this was a burnt offering. The translation in verse 31 is “and”, it shall be the Lord’s “and” offered as a burnt offering.

Now, to be clear, God nowhere condones this actions. In fact, in Deuteronomy 12:31, He expressly prohibits it.

The Bible also does not teach that we should fulfill ungodly, immoral vows, even if made to God.

John MacArthur provides some insight into how Jephthah could have done a thing like this. Jephthah was surrounded by people of bad moral influence (vs 3) from a father that may not have really raised him in fear and obedience to the Lord considering his father engaged in prostitution. Also, he would have commonly seen this type of sacrifice among the pagans with whom he lived.

In spite of this, we noted that Jephthah is listed in the Hebrew Hall of Faith. God is so good to forgive our weakness.

God used flawed men and women, who in some cased morally failed in many ways.

If this is shocking, we must drill into our heads that we are all bad. We are not given God’s grace and love because somehow we are not that bad. Don’t think your sins are less, but look at some of the sins listed in Romans 1, Colossians 3, Galatians 5. Do you see your sins somewhere in there? Note those sins are listed right along with the “big” sins of sexual immorality, murder, etc.

So, it is vital to understand that we are not considered faithful because of our efforts or our good works.

The other side of the coin is that we should never think we have failed too much or are too sinful for God to us.

We can be faithful and used by God, not because of our own merit, goodness, judgement, or efforts, but because we respond to God’s work in us and we yield ourselves to the control and direction of His Spirit.

12/13/2016 3:07 pm  #15

Judges 12

12:9 He had thirty sons, and thirty daughters he gave in marriage outside his clan, and thirty daughters he brought in from outside for his sons. And he judged Israel seven years.

This was against God's laws to not intermarry and give your sons and daughter as wives and husbands to the pagan cultures.

Do not intermarry with them. Do not give your daughters to their sons or take their daughters for your sons, for they will turn your children away from following me to serve other gods, and the Lord’s anger will burn against you and will quickly destroy you. Deuteronomy 7:3-4

Again we see that even those that morally failed, God still used.

I think it also speaks to the moral bankruptcy in Israel that there were not people more faithful than this to choose as leaders.

12/18/2016 8:50 pm  #16

Judges 13

Scripture

13:5 for behold, you shall conceive and bear a son. No razor shall come upon his head, for the child shall be a Nazirite to God from the womb, and he shall begin to save Israel from the hand of the Philistines.
13:7 but he said to me, 'Behold, you shall conceive and bear a son. So then drink no wine or strong drink, and eat nothing unclean, for the child shall be a Nazirite to God from the womb to the day of his death.'"

This was something quite different. Usually when God called person in the Old Testament He let Holy
Spirit fall on them just at the time He needed them to do work. Here God had plans to set him apart from birth. God must have had plans to use him in great ways

Scripture 13:8 Then Manoah prayed to the LORD and said, "O Lord, please let the man of God whom you sent come again to us and teach us what we are to do with the child who will be born."

He sought to know and understand God’s will. He wanted to know what God wanted him to do.

They desired to get specific instructions because they desired and longed to do all the Lord wanted, to completely please God and obey Him fully.

Scripture 13:12 And Manoah said, "Now when your words come true, what is to be the child's manner of life, and what is his mission?"

When your words come true - complete faith

Scripture
13:22 And Manoah said to his wife, "We shall surely die, for we have seen God."

He understood what a big deal it was and how impure they were to stand before God. He understood that he could not stand before a holy God.

We have God in us. This should be enough to generate reverent fear of God's holiness.

12/18/2016 9:23 pm  #17

Week of December 19
This Week’s Reading Assignment
S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.

Monday
Reading: Judges 16
Verse of the Day: Judges 16:28
Good Morning Girls: Introduction to the Week
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Samson’s choice to follow his own human nature allowed him to be captured by his enemies. Name a time when you ignored God’s instructions and you failed.

Tuesday
Reading: Judges 17
Verse of the Day: Judges 17:6
Optional GMG Discussion Question: During these times, everyone did what was right in their own eyes. What problems arise when we all do what we feel is right instead of seeking out God’s counsel first?

Wednesday
Reading: Judges 18
Verse of the Day: Judges 18:6
Optional GMG Discussion Question: The priest was easily convinced to help those who robbed Micah with the promise of a promotion. Have you ever been placed in a situation where you had to choose between personal desires and God’s desires?

Thursday
Reading: Judges 19
Verse of the Day: Judges 19:20
Optional GMG Discussion Question: The Levite and the man of the house protected themselves over the protection of the women in the home. They selfishly did what was right in their own eyes. Selfishness hurts those around us, especially those in our own home. Do you struggle with selfishness in your home?

Friday
Reading: Judges 20
Verse of the Day: Judges 20:13
Good Morning Girls: Devotional and Video
Optional GMG Discussion Question: God waited until Israel was willing to confront their own sin before delivering the victory to them against the tribe of Benjamin. Is there something God is attempting to get you to confront so that He can bless you?

Monday
Reading: Judges 21
Verse of the Day: Judges 21:25
Optional GMG Discussion Question: The tribe of Benjamin was allowed to rebuild after they had been dealt with. Name a time that you had to rebuild certain areas of your own life to get back on track with God.

12/19/2016 2:56 pm  #18

Judges 14

14:2 Then he came up and told his father and mother, "I saw one of the daughters of the Philistines at Timnah. Now get her for me as my wife."

I have read conflicting information on whether the Philistines should be counted among the 7 nations of Israel was forbidden to marry in Deuteronomy 7. They are not listed by name, but they did live in the southern coast of Canaan. Either way, it was still a poor choice and not one becoming a godly man or prophet. We clearly see the principle that Israel should not marry unbelievers or people who worship gods other than Jehovah because it will turn their heart away. So, either way, this was not a wise choice for a person God had selected from birth to be used for His purpose.

And we shall see that Sampson’s desires for pagan women does lead to his downfall.

14:4 His father and mother did not know that it was from the LORD, for he was seeking an opportunity against the Philistines. At that time the Philistines ruled over Israel.

My Bible notes give an interesting theory: If you notice, every time Israel was oppressed they repented and cried out to God for deliverance. In this case, it seems they were not crying out for God to deliver them from Philistine rule. So perhaps God used Sampson’s behavior to cause tension to arouse him against the Philistines and thus shake off their rule of Israel.

The story of Sampson is such a puzzle. Other judges may have had fault, but it seems they sought the Lord at times and sought His guidance. It is really hard to find anything redeeming about Sampson. It seems at every turn he was making unwise or poor decisions. Yet he is listed in Hebrews 11’s hall of faith.

Although it is hard to see any sense of him seeking God, Hebrews 11:32-33 says that he lived by faith and “through faith conquered kingdoms.”

I suppose it did take great faith for him to perform these deeds and not be afraid. It just seems he performed them while thinking primarily of himself and not God’s glory.

I guess this shows how gracious God is and how He uses even those of us who are the most flawed.

Perhaps we should take heart when looking at our past failures and know that God will still use us greatly and that in His graciousness, He can still make us a woman of great faith.

14:6 Then the Spirit of the LORD rushed upon him, and although he had nothing in his hand, he tore the lion in pieces as one tears a young goat. But he did not tell his father or his mother what he had done.

The Spirit of the Lord was on him, not in him. And it was only on him at certain times. It was not a continual indwelling. This is of note because of the behavior we will see from Sampson that is not pleasing to God. God’s Spirit was not in him, nor what it always on him.

14:19
And the Spirit of the Lord rushed upon him, and he went down to Ashkelon and struck down thirty men of the town and took their spoil and gave the garments to those who had told the riddle. In hot anger he went back to his father's house.

John MacArthur indicates that this was part of an existing conflict.

So God used Samson’s anger to avenge the Philistines. However, it seems Samson was motivated by his own anger over being taken advantage of. There is no suggestion that he was angry over the oppression of God’s people, or anger over God’s plan and purposes being thwarted. His motives were wrong, but God used his failure for His purposes.

Last edited by TBG (12/19/2016 5:57 pm)

12/19/2016 4:33 pm  #19

Judges 15

15:1 After some days, at the time of wheat harvest, Samson went to visit his wife with a young goat. And he said, "I will go in to my wife in the chamber." But her father would not allow him to go in.

The goat was a token of reconciliation.

As I was reading a commentary it pointed out that Samson was really the one wronged here, yet he came with a token of reconciliation.

This is a good example for us to not stand on ceremony. It does not matter if you are in the “right” be quick to reconcile.

Romans 12:17-21
Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Judges 15:11
Then 3,000 men of Judah went down to the cleft of the rock of Etam, and said to Samson, "Do you not know that the Philistines are rulers over us? What then is this that you have done to us?"

They were content to be ruled over and had no intention of standing against the Philistines even after they saw the great power God had given Samson to deliver them, they were uninterested in fighting and just wanted to let well enough alone.

Wow, are we content to stay in spiritual defeat and not to fight to become all the God wants us to be in holiness, purity and the power and leading of the Spirit?

Do we not really care about living with our sin and compromise and so have no great concern with being delivered or ceasing our behavior, attitudes, or thoughts that are unpleasing to God. Are we content and comfortable with the status quo?

15:18 And he was very thirsty, and he called upon the LORD and said, "You have granted this great salvation by the hand of your servant, and shall I now die of thirst and fall into the hands of the uncircumcised?"

He does acknowledge that it was God’s work and it was for the purpose of deliverance. This is interesting since much of the narrative emphasizes his feelings for his own anger. I suppose he used his anger to do work he knew was in line with God’s plan for deliverance. Maybe this explains more how he could be in the hall of faith.

12/28/2016 11:45 am  #20

Judges 16

Scripture

16:6 So Delilah said to Samson, “Please tell me where your great strength lies, and how you might be bound, that one could subdue you.”
16:16 And when she pressed him hard with her words day after day, and urged him, his soul was vexed to death.

O: He stayed in a circumstance until it ultimately wore his resolve down.

A: Why is the appeal of things of this world so strong that we keep them in our lives even when it is wearing us down spiritually, emotionally, and sometimes physically?

This shows the great power our lusts and desires and cravings have to hold us fast to things that our destructive to us.

Again, lust, desires and cravings don’t allude to sexuality but any of those things our soul greatly longs for, physical comfort, pleasure, money, praise, success, and respect.

And even the good desires that God has placed in our hearts like love, affections, acceptance must be properly held onto in light of God being the ultimate One to meet those needs and not inappropriately seeking for those needs to be met though illegitimate efforts.

Scripture
16:19-20 She made him sleep on her knees. And she called a man and had him shave off the seven locks of his head. Then she began to torment him, and his strength left him. And she said, “The Philistines are upon you, Samson!”  And he awoke from his sleep and said, “I will go out as at other times and shake myself free.” But he did not know that the Lord had left him.

Observation
He was so unaware of God’s presence in his life because he was so caught up in his desires and in his action. He was not seeking and living in God’s presence.

It seems he had great disregard for the presence of God in him and very little regard for God’s gifts in him and his mission.

Application
Wow, can this be us? Can we be so busy pursuing our goals and acting in our own strength that we are not aware of God’s presence in our lives? God’s Spirit lives in us as believers. But we can quench and stifle His Spirit (Ephesians 4:30 (17-32), 1 Thessalonians 5:19) and we need to be pursuing the fullness of His Spirit at all times. (Ephesians 5:18 – be being filled with the Spirit)

An understanding of the Greek for "be filled," plerousthe, quite clearly reveals the correct meaning of Paul's command in Ephesians 5:18. A literal translation of the verb would read something like "be being kept filled." The idea is one of keeping yourself constantly filled, as you yield moment by moment to the leading of the Spirit. It fits perfectly with the process of walking by the Spirit. (Grace to You)

Being filled with the Holy Spirit, however, is not a once-and-for-all experience. There are many fillings, as is made clear in Ephesians 5:18. In the Greek language in which this command was originally written, the meaning is clearer than that in most English translations. This command of God means to be constantly and continually filled, controlled and empowered with the Holy Spirit as a way of life. (Cru, Campus Crusade for Christ)

Do we disregard the presence of the Holy Spirit in us by living lives of compromise, or by not prioritizing relationship with God, or failing to pursue growth in holiness and Christ-like character?

Do we disregard God’s mission for our lives because we are too busy metaphorically lounging on the bed with our lovers as Samson was?

For me, it is tempting to not be open to God’s mission because my life is comfortable and enjoyable and it is easy for me to get nervous about disrupting that and having to do something that is hard, demanding, tiring, or time consuming. I have to remind myself to be open and willing to accept whatever God’s will be.

But if God has made His will clear to you, are you pursuing it or are you enjoying your leisure as you bask in your own temporal pleasures and goals?

Scripture
16:23-24 Now the rulers of the Philistines assembled to offer a great sacrifice to Dagon their god and to celebrate, saying, “Our god has delivered Samson, our enemy, into our hands.” When the people saw him, they praised their god, saying, “Our god has delivered our enemy into our hands, the one who laid waste our land and multiplied our slain.”

Ouch! Samson’s sin gave cause for the enemies of God to celebrate and humiliate God’s reputation in the eyes of the world. It directed praise and worship to idols and away from the one true God, the only one deserving of praise.

Our moral failures soil God’s reputation in the world’s eyes and direct the praise that is rightful His to the world and its idols.

We must be so careful to guard against moral failure. We are God’s ambassadors to the world. We are the dwelling place of the most high God.

Scripture
16:28 Then Samson called to the LORD and said, "O Lord GOD, please remember me and please strengthen me only this once, O God, that I may be avenged on the Philistines for my two eyes."

Observation
Samson repents and comes to God with humility.

However, I again have very conflicted feelings. He does not say that he wants to avenge God’s reputation or to destroy the idol worship; he says he wants to avenge his eyes. Again to me this seems like he is more focused on his anger than on God’s honor or God’s purpose.

Yet, the Bible clearly speaks that Samson is a hero of faith.

He does show great faith in trusting in God’s power both to forgive him and to do great miracles and mighty acts.

Application
I guess this is an encouragement to our hearts. No matter how often we fail or great our failures God can and does use us when we come to him with humble repentant hearts. And when He does restore us, we are not second class citizens or always on the bottom of the pole. No, He is so gracious to us to see our little faith and great faithfulness.

Take heart! As we keep pursuing God, He will empower us to be faithful even in the face of our failures and compromises.

Board footera