Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/10/2017 9:27 am  #11

Re: 1 Samuel

KimberlyP77 wrote:

Two verses spoke to me when I read this last night,1:15 But Hannah answered, no my lord, I am a woman of sorrowful spirit, I have drunk neither wine or strong drink but I was pouring out my soul before the Lord.1:17 Then Eli said, Go in Peace and may the God of Israel grant your petition which you have asked of him

My observation and applications is that I should be pouring out my soul to my Lord in my prayers and that afterwards I should go in Peace.

"My observation and applications is that I should be pouring out my soul to my Lord in my prayers and that afterwards I should go in Peace."

Yes, something we all need to learn to go to God in sincerity and transparency and then to embrace the peace that comes from really trusting Him.

1/10/2017 10:11 am  #12

cochrans wrote:

S: 1 Samuel 1:17-18 "Then Eli answered and said, "Go in peace, and "the God of Israel grant your petition which you have asked of Him." So the woman "went her way and ate, and her face was no longer sad."

O: Hannah poured her heart out to God, left her concerns at the alter. Then she walked away believing that God was going to grant the desires or her heart. (Oh what FAITH!)

A: When going to God you have to have a sincere heart and know that God hears you. I experienced what Hannah went through 21 years ago. I cried out to God for a child, believed that he was going to grant my desires and received a Peace that surpassed everything. Three months later, I conceived a girl and her name is Ariel - "Lion of God and " Victorious under God." [Biblically] Walking through many seasons in my life, my faith and peace has wavered. I have to get back to crying out to God to heal me spiritually...not on a few things but ALL things. Oh to have the faith that I use to have.

K: God, I'm crying out to you to renew my faith and grant me peace as you did with Hannah and so many others in the bible. I've been in this season for 3 years and I'm ready to walk out of it victorious with you. Lord, I want you to Bless me with the desires of your heart not mine. It's time for me to get back to doing your will Father. I know that if I trust you on some things (never failing me) then I should trust you on ALL things. Father, I'm tired. I want the Peace that you have for me so that I may walk correct and stand steadfast in your word.

"Walking through many seasons in my life, my faith and peace has wavered. I have to get back to crying out to God to heal me spiritually...not on a few things but ALL things."

I felt like that for so many years like God was just trying to take me a deeper place. I feel like I have turned the corner on that and some of my recent trials and disappointments have really helped to adjust my heart and mind and move me further towards what God was trying to weed out of me.

I prayed for you too, as you hold onto to God to get through all the challenges on your plate right now. I just pray that you will continue to hold fast to Him and have eternal eyes to focus and to lean into Him for strength and peace beyond what you could have on your own.

1/10/2017 10:15 am  #13

Alh2017 wrote:

S:  26 And she said, "Oh, my lord! As you live, my lord, I am the woman who was standing here in your presence, praying to the LORD. 27 For this child I prayed, and the LORD has granted me my petition that I made to him.

O:  Our God is a God of deliverance, but we must walk by faith and make our "petitions" to him.

A:  Sometimes God will draw us down a path where it appears there is no end in sight and we will grow closer to Him, continually asking him to clarify our hearts desires.  When the time is right God will answer the prayers in His own way that gives Him glory.
I also found a website that gives some interesting points about Samuel, the most relevant with this being the introduction is that Samuel is a miracle baby and his name means "God has heard".

K:  First, we have 3 families that we know that have miscarried in the past 3-4 months, for 2 of them it was a repeat miscarriage.  Lord, if it is your will please give these families their miracle babies, heal their pain and suffering, draw them closer to you.  
Second, God, you've brought me on an amazing journey, at one point I was bitter and angry with you, I praise you for this experience and now see it's value.
Help to pray more and tell you what I need and want and to accept whatever answers you send my way.  Help me to listen when you put something on my heart.
I am patiently waiting for good news, whatever the news is, I know you have a place for me and you have my future plans laid out, deliver us, give us a fresh start.

God has heard: I did not know that. That is beautiful.

"accept whatever answers you send my way.  Help me to listen when you put something on my heart."

Yes, we need to learn to accept with gracious trust and joy all that God has allowed in our lives. And we certainly need to learn to listen more to Him.

1/10/2017 10:16 am  #14

Gdiam wrote:

At first Eli thought Hannah was drunk but when explained her situation I just love how Eli didn't know or ask what Hannah had prayed for but he joined in with her in faith that God would grant her what she requested.  

That is a good lesson for us as well. Sometimes we want to interrogate people and decide if we think they are doing everything right instead of just standing with them in prayer and encouraging them.

1/10/2017 10:18 am  #15

1 Samuel 2

Scripture: 2:17 Thus the sin of the young men was very great in the sight of the LORD, for the men treated the offering of the LORD with contempt.

Observation: They took more than what was allotted to them in Deuteronomy. They violated the offerings God had dictated because they wanted more for themselves. They violated God’s holiness because they wanted the best parts for themselves.

They looked at their positions as positions of privilege instead of positions of service. They took advantage of people. They were corrupt and abusing positions of leadership to take advantage of God’s people. They were not shepherding and leading them, but preying on them.

Application: We can do this in our lives by continuing to embrace sin. We can violate God’s laws to feed our desires. We can compromise with holiness and obedience to get more for ourselves or the “best things” of this world. It is easy for us to not be satisfied with our lives or with what God has given us and allow this dissatisfaction to lead us to compromise.

Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 1 John 2:15

No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money. Matthew 6:24

Kneel in Prayer: Lord thank you for all you have blessed me with. Give me a heart that loves You more than anything this world can offer. Help me to be satisfied with all that You have given me, but most importantly, help me to be satisfied with You and filled with Your joy and to be daily aware of Your presence in me, moment by moment and to honor You with my heart, and my mind, and to adjust my longings and desires to what pleases You.

S: 2:29 Why then do you scorn my sacrifices and my offerings that I commanded, and honor your sons above me by fattening yourselves on the choicest parts of every offering of my people Israel?'

Observation: This implies that Eli could have done more to stop his sons, but honored his sons more than God.

Application: What or who are we placing above God? Are we more concerned with offending others or offending a Holy God?

This is so hard sometimes especially with unbelieving family. I want to keep relationships and I want to be a good witness for God both of His truth, but also of His grace and kindness. And sometimes it is hard to know when you should walk away from a situation or take a stand and when you should just step back. Because we cannot expect unbelievers to act like believers. It is silly to try to get them to alter behavior when they lack the Spirit of God in them. What they need is Jesus and He will alter behavior.

But, I think to point is to prayerfully seek God and prayerfully seek to honor Him and do what He convicts us of and not allow ourselves to easily tolerate or participate in things that dishonor Him.

Kneel in Prayer: Lord give me wisdom and courage to know what best honors You and what best shows Your character, truth, holiness, love and grace.

Optional GMG Discussion Question: After God answered Hannah’s prayers for a son, she praised God and was full of thanksgiving. Take a moment and share a praise. What prayer request has God answered for you?

We were told that this child we had for the month of December had a lot of behavioral problems including hitting, throwing, and tantrums, etc. It turns out she just acts out when she is in a difficult or frustrating situation and does not know how to handle her emotions. We were able to give her lots of attention and stability and she was just a little angle. She brought so much joy and laughter into our home for Christmas. It was a blessing to have her. It was really a joy.

Pray for her, her foster mom, and her bio mom and God’s will for her little life.

1/10/2017 11:39 am  #16

1 Samuel 2

S: verses 6-8: (Msg): God brings death and God brings life, brings down to the grave and raises up. God brings poverty and God brings wealth; he lowers, he also lifts up. He puts people on their feet again; he rekindles burned-out lives with fresh hope, Restoring dignity and respect to their lives- a place in the sun!
O: God can give life and death; He can make the weak strong and he can humble the strong.
A:  Are we forgetting just what God can do? Have we gotten too low or too high to know that God can change our circumstances in just a minute?
K: Father, I ask that you gently remind me that when I'm at a low level to seek your face to bring me out of that place. Father, please tenderly touch me when I've gotten above you. Remind me that without YOU I am nobody... all my glory goes to you in my lowest and highest points.

S: vs 17 - Therefore the sin of the young men were great before the Lord, for men abhorred the offering of the Lord.
O: Eli's sons dishonored God my doing their priestly duties with irreverence and disrespect.
A: How often do we do the work of the Lord with an ill heart and deceit?
K: Father, I ask that as I go and do your work that my heart is clean and inline with yours. Father, I ask that when I tell others about you that the sincerity shows through not only my words but my actions. Father please touch our Pastors, Ministers and your Sevants that when they are ministering to me (us) that they have the heart and words of you. 

S: verse 25- If one man sins against another, God will judge him. But if a man sins against the Lord, who will intercede for him?
O: If you sin against another person, there's help - God's help. But if you sin against God - who is around to help?
A:  Are we forgetting who we are serving? Do we not know that God sees and hears everything?
K: Father, I ask that you forgive me when I sin against my brother/sister. Father, please continue to allow the Holy Spirit to come in when I sin directly unto you. For both sins are no greater than another. Please continue to strengthen me in your word so that I may follow your lead in how I treat others and you.

Discussion Question: God has answered so many...I've prayed and thought non-stop about recommitting my time to God. Baby steps of course. God answered first by giving me the desire to get up to read and mediate on his word. Although it's only been two days. The Holy Spirit has ministered to my soul. I'm fervently seeking more, It's a good feeling...Thank you Lord.

1/10/2017 4:36 pm  #17

1 Samuel 2

S: There is none holy like the Lord: for there is none beside you; there is no rock like our God (2:2)

O: These verses (2 and 3) give us four of God’s attributes: purity, power, wisdom, justice.  What wonderful things to meditate on.

A: When I meditate on God’s attributes, especially His holiness, it humbles me before Him.  It brings to mind the Aaron Shust song, “No One Higher.”  And I pray that this would be my focus for today and always.  That my heart would be so focused and drawn to God that I can sing these words with abandon.

And Lord we stand amazed in Your presence
Astounded by Your mercy and love
Our hands are lifted high in Your presence
Your grace for me is always enough
And there is no one higher than our God
There is no one higher than You
Let my life forever praise the glory of Your name

1/10/2017 8:44 pm  #18

When I first read this chapter, no verses were speaking to me. It wasn't until I went back thru it a second time that verses started jumping out at me. So here is what I came up with for 1 Samuel Chapter 2S: 2:2 There is none holy like the Lord, there is none besides you: there is no Rock like our God
2:7 The Lord Makes poor and makes rich. He brings low and lifts up
2:9 He will guard the feet of his Godly ones but the wicked shall be silenced & perish in darkness; for by strength no man shall prevailO: There is no one holy like the Lord, He is our Rock there is no other. The Lord gives and takes away.
The Lord will guard us those who rely on himA: I must remember that Lord is the one and only my Rock and Strong tower, God can give and take way. I must be faithful in him and he will guard and protect me.

Discussion: When my husband and I separated and he moved out, and I moved out of my hometown, and moved again. God found me a church that I could call home and friends that would become family, as my family and I weren't close with the lose of my dad.

1/10/2017 10:59 pm  #19

cochrans wrote:

1 Samuel 2
O: God can give life and death; He can make the weak strong and he can humble the strong.
A:  Are we forgetting just what God can do? Have we gotten too low or too high to know that God can change our circumstances in just a minute?
K: Father, I ask that you gently remind me that when I'm at a low level to seek your face to bring me out of that place. Father, please tenderly touch me when I've gotten above you. Remind me that without YOU I am nobody... all my glory goes to you in my lowest and highest points.

I shared this with a teenage foster daughter who came to my home in an emergency who is obviously distraught over her circumstances.

You don't know how much this ministered to her. Thank you.

cochrans wrote:

Discussion Question: God has answered so many...I've prayed and thought non-stop about recommitting my time to God. Baby steps of course. God answered first by giving me the desire to get up to read and mediate on his word. Although it's only been two days. The Holy Spirit has ministered to my soul. I'm fervently seeking more, It's a good feeling...Thank you Lord.

I know it is powerful, right? Before this program I read the Bible frequently, like at least 3-4 days a week (including weekends). But this program of really taking time and digging into once chapter a day and making me spend so much time pouring through the Old Testament has been life altering.

1/10/2017 11:09 pm  #20

Michelle wrote:

1 Samuel 2
O: These verses (2 and 3) give us four of God’s attributes: purity, power, wisdom, justice.  What wonderful things to meditate on.

A: When I meditate on God’s attributes, especially His holiness, it humbles me before Him.  It brings to mind the Aaron Shust song, “No One Higher.”  And I pray that this would be my focus for today and always.  That my heart would be so focused and drawn to God that I can sing these words with abandon.

And Lord we stand amazed in Your presence
Astounded by Your mercy and love
Our hands are lifted high in Your presence
Your grace for me is always enough
And there is no one higher than our God
Let my life forever praise the glory of Your name

I did not see that. I am going to add these to my list of verses to memorize. Now, all I have to do is actually start memorizing the verses I have on my memorization list

I had not heard that song before. That is wonderful.

Board footera