Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/05/2017 1:57 pm  #101

Re: 1 Samuel

TBG wrote:

1 Samuel 19

Scripture 19:4-5
And Jonathan spoke well of David to Saul his father and said to him, "Let not the king sin against his servant David, because he has not sinned against you, and because his deeds have brought good to you. For he took his life in his hand and he struck down the Philistine, and the LORD worked a great salvation for all Israel. You saw it, and rejoiced. Why then will you sin against innocent blood by killing David without cause?"

O: David is a source of God’s blessing to Saul and to the nation. David is the tool of God’s salvation from the Philistines. But jealousy turned to hatred. Saul did not even want to receive and rejoice in blessings if he could not be the one who was exalted the highest. This is great pride. Pride was the original sin of Satan; Satan wanted to be worshiped as God.

A: We can’t enjoy God’s blessings if we covet more for ourselves. If we are focused on elevating ourselves, we cannot rejoice in other’s being used by God because we will want glory for ourselves. This guarantees that we will not be used. God will use those who direct the glory to Him.

Christ is the source of our salvation. If you love Christ, you will keep His commands. When we are disobedient to God, we reject His source of salvation, blessing, joy, and deliverance in our lives.

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; Philippians 4:6

Therefore, humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you. 1 Peter 5:6-7

YES! Amen and Amen! Thank you for this word.

2/05/2017 2:02 pm  #102

Michelle wrote:

1 Samuel 20

S: And when the new moon came, the king sat down to eat food.  (20:24)

O: This was not a normal meal, but a public one after extra sacrifices were made (Numbers 28:11-15).  Even though Saul had turned from God, he still kept up the pretense of worship.

A: So often I have looked on people that seem to be super-Christians and envied their walk.  They do Bible studies all of the time, they can quote Scripture for every situation, and they always seem to have it all together.  Then, as I get to know them, I realize that for some of them, it’s mainly external, that their heart was far from God.  And then there are others who quietly go about their lives, who struggle to find time for Bible study and “formal” prayer, but yet have such a sweet, godly spirit, and such a beautiful relationship with the Lord.  They have purposed to seek the Lord in the everyday messiness of life.

I like you have learned this the hard way with some of my church members. Totally, devastated me... Now, I just work really hard to work on self. It has made me become a better listener. I pray for these people because I know we ALL are sinners. 

2/05/2017 11:45 pm  #103

Week of February 6
This Week’s Reading Assignment

Post your input below this post.
S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.

Monday
Reading: 1 Samuel 21
Verse of the Day: 1 Samuel 21:12
Good Morning Girls: Introduction to the Week
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Just because we are following the Lord, it does not mean we will not have difficult times. In Psalm 56:3, David said: “When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.” What are you afraid of today and how can you trust God more?

Tuesday
Reading: 1 Samuel 22
Verse of the Day: 1 Samuel 22:1
Optional GMG Discussion Question: David couldn’t go home, or go see Samuel or Jonathan and he couldn’t go to the house of the Lord. In a humble cave he found refuge. How is God your refuge and safe place, in times of discouragement?

Wednesday
Reading: 1 Samuel 23
Verse of the Day: 1 Samuel 23:16
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Jonathan could not rescue David but he could strengthen him. Is there someone in your life who is in an inescapable trial? You may not be able to rescue them but how can you strengthen them today?

Thursday
Reading: 1 Samuel 24
Verse of the Day: 1 Samuel 24:12
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Rather than taking matters into his own hands, David trusted God to judge and avenge him against Saul. What situation in your life, do you need to trust yourself less and trust God more?

Friday
Reading: 1 Samuel 25
Verse of the Day: 1 Samuel 25:3
Good Morning Girls: Devotional and Video
Optional GMG Discussion Question: There is a great contrast between Abigail and her husband Nabal. Abigail was god-fearing, gentle and humble despite being stuck in a mismatched marriage. Are you stuck in a relationship that is mismatched perhaps with a boss, coworker, family member or spouse? How can you remain gentle and humble in this difficult situation?

Last edited by TBG (2/10/2017 12:54 pm)

2/06/2017 7:36 am  #104

1 Samuel 21

S: And David said to Ahimelech the priest, “The king has charged me with a matter and said to me, ‘Let no one know anything of the matter about which I send you, and with which I have charged you’” (21:2)

O: When asked what he was doing, David lied.  He lied, I think, with the best of intentions.  He lied to protect himself and the lives of those with him.  However, the lie still led to the deaths of the priests.

A: How easy it is to tell that small like to keep myself from looking bad.  How easy it is to tell that small lie to keep from hurting someone’s feelings.  The problem with small likes is that they often lead to bigger lies.

Yet some lies seem necessary, like those told by people hiding Jews from the Nazis or helping slaves get to freedom.  Were they wrong to lie?  I don’t know, but I do know that the Bible teaches, “’on the day of judgement people will give account for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned’” (Matthew 12:36-37).

2/06/2017 6:55 pm  #105

Michelle wrote:

1 Samuel 21

S: And David said to Ahimelech the priest, “The king has charged me with a matter and said to me, ‘Let no one know anything of the matter about which I send you, and with which I have charged you’” (21:2)

O: When asked what he was doing, David lied.  He lied, I think, with the best of intentions.  He lied to protect himself and the lives of those with him.  However, the lie still led to the deaths of the priests.

A: How easy it is to tell that small like to keep myself from looking bad.  How easy it is to tell that small lie to keep from hurting someone’s feelings.  The problem with small likes is that they often lead to bigger lies.

Yet some lies seem necessary, like those told by people hiding Jews from the Nazis or helping slaves get to freedom.  Were they wrong to lie?  I don’t know, but I do know that the Bible teaches, “’on the day of judgement people will give account for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned’” (Matthew 12:36-37).

That is profound insight. I kept chewing on the lying, but could not wrap my mind around any clear opinion. But, I think you hit it on the head, his lie did lead to the death of others. And the thing is, he lied to protect himself. Should he have not trusted God to protect him?

The thing with the Jews is that people were lying to protect someone else. So, I don't know that feels different to me.

2/06/2017 7:03 pm  #106

1 Samuel 21

The overall thoughts I had about this chapter was how humiliating this was for David. I know God had to craft his character so that he would not become prideful and would always honor, rely on and trust God. I think this experience helped craft him into the king he would one day be.

But, man sometimes we will have to deal with humiliation in life. That is hard for me, it feels unjust and unfair when it is not deserving and we feel that we have a right to be treated with dignity and respect. And, perhaps we do. But this is a fallen world and we need to be willing to accept this and not to be prideful and think we are better than other saints through the ages that have dealt with much worse, but be an example to others in how we deal with mistreatment.

2/06/2017 9:02 pm  #107

Michelle wrote:

1 Samuel 21

Loved your insight on this chapter.

2/06/2017 9:12 pm  #108

I read this chapter and truly outside of David lying to protect himself and those with him nothing stood out to me.  I always like to go to my Commentary as well and I loved the Verse it closed with from Proverbs

"Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord, but hose who deal truthfully are His delight" Prov 12:22

Optional GMG Discussion Question: Just because we are following the Lord, it does not mean we will not have difficult times. In Psalm 56:3, David said: “When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.” What are you afraid of today and how can you trust God more?

There are a couple things that I battle with in terms of being afraid.  My annual review is coming up so I'm always fearful that I'm going to lose my job.  My reviews are always positive and there typically nothing bad, I just always stress out about it the week of my review and most especially the day of the review.  Speaking of which it is coming up, in 11 Days.    Another thing I'm afraid of is my estranged husband failing on his agreement of things, and that I will have no place to live.   God however always come through for me.  

2/07/2017 8:01 am  #109

TBG wrote:

Michelle wrote:

1 Samuel 21

That is profound insight. I kept chewing on the lying, but could not wrap my mind around any clear opinion. But, I think you hit it on the head, his lie did lead to the death of others. And the thing is, he lied to protect himself. Should he have not trusted God to protect him?

The thing with the Jews is that people were lying to protect someone else. So, I don't know that feels different to me.

Yes, it feels different to me too, but is still something that I struggle with sorting out in my mind.

2/07/2017 8:02 am  #110

1 Samuel 22

S: David departed from there and escaped to the cave of Adullam.  And when his brothers and all his father’s house heard it, they went down there to him (22:1).

O:  I will admit that I struggled with finding a verse to SOAK today, so, as I often do when that happens, I pulled out Matthew Henry’s commentary.  He had this to say about verse 1, “The promise of a kingdom implied a promise of preservation to it, and yet David used proper means for his own safety, otherwise he would have tempted God.”

A: If we are seeking a change in our life, we must do our part as well.  When I was diagnosed with cancer, yes, I took it before the Lord in prayer and had other pray for me as well, but I also sought out the best medical care that I could.  It’s not enough for me to pray that God would help me not to overeat and graze on junk all day, I need to not have the junk food around and have portioned snacks available.

Board footera