Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/20/2017 9:56 pm  #21

Re: Luke

Luke 7

S: 7:50   Jesus said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you; to in peace.

O: 7:50  The woman was able to go in Peace, her faith in he Lord saved her.

A: 7:50   Having faith in the Lord for my salvation, allows me to go in peace

K: 7:50  Lord please help me to be in your word and to continue growing in my faith

Discussion:  Prayer of Thanksgiving
Lord Jesus, I'm so very thankful for all you have given me and for what you have taken away.  I am forever grateful for all that has happened for my husband leaving to me finding my home church and now sponsoring children in Tanzania, and most of all of me to be able to be baptized this past August, as well as me having a closer relationship with my family.

3/20/2017 10:35 pm  #22

Luke 6

12 In these days he went out to the mountain to pray, and all night he continued in prayer to God.
I really need to prioriize intensive focused prayer much more. Jesus prayed all the time. If He needed to, how much more do I need to.

35 But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil.
36 Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful.

This is serious. This is how we will be identified as children of the Most High God. I wonder if we take these verses seriously enough. And excellent reminder to not give people what they deserve when they wrong us.

46 "Why do you call me 'Lord, Lord,' and not do what I tell you?

We say God is Lord (a person who has authority, control, or power over others; a master, chief, or ruler. ) yet we don't actually respect and yield to His control and authority.

47 Everyone who comes to me and hears my words and does them, I will show you what he is like:
48 he is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when a flood arose, the stream broke against that house and could not shake it, because it had been well built.
49 But the one who hears and does not do them is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. When the stream broke against it, immediately it fell, and the ruin of that house was great."

By living in obedience I build strong foundation in my life so when trials come I will stand and not be swept away

Do you have an enemy? How can you show them love this week?
I just pray for them and eventually God softens my heart to them. I don't mean I pray to change them or convict them or anything like that but I pray for God to bless them and help them and good things for them. Sometimes I literally pray through clinched teeth and it is really just words and not heart at all. But as I keep praying God slowly changes my heart and then I really do feel compassion for them.

3/21/2017 7:38 am  #23

Luke 7

S: “Therefore I tell you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven – for she loved much.  But he who is forgiven little, loves little.”  (7:47)

O: Matthew Henry writes, “Hereby He imitates to the Pharisee that his love to Christ was so little that He had reason to question whether he loved Him at all in sincerity; and, consequently, whether indeed his sins, though comparatively little, were forgiven him.”

A: It doesn’t matter if I am the worst of sinners or not, the fact is, I am a still a sinner.  The fact that I am forgiven, not because of any merit that I may have, but only through the grace of God, should lead me to love more.  To love, not only God, but other people as well.  Never forgetting that it is God’s mercy and grace alone that makes me righteous before Him.

3/22/2017 6:34 am  #24

Luke 8

S: But Jesus, on hearing this, answered him, “Do not fear; only believe, and she will be well.”  (8:50)

O: Jarius had sought Jesus because his only daughter was sick.  And now, on the way to her with Him, he receives word that she has died.  Jesus knows that this will rock Jarius’ faith, so He reassures him that He is there for him and that Jarius has nothing to fear.

A: No matter what is happening in my life, I can rest on the knowledge that God is in control and that He will work all things together for good (Romans 8:28).  I may not see the good in the situation, but God does.  And I need to remember that His ways are not our ways (Isaiah 55:8).  And so, by faith, like David I can pray:
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: He leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the path of righteousness for His name’s sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with my; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou annointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

3/22/2017 8:32 am  #25

Luke 7

6 And Jesus went with them. When he was not far from the house, the centurion sent friends, saying to him, "Lord, do not trouble yourself, for I am not worthy to have you come under my roof.

O: He understood his own sinfulness and Jesus’ holiness.

A: Sometimes as Christians we can fall into the trap of thinking that we are worthy of God’s favor, like the religious rulers of Jesus’ day. We are not worthy that God should save us and dwell in us. That He does, shoes the depth of His love in choosing to give us such a precious gift to those so unworthy.

And this love is what leads us to respond with repentance – to make a U-turn and turn away from our current pattern of life and turn towards obedience in following God.

Or do you presume on the riches of his kindness and forbearance and patience, not knowing that God's kindness is meant to lead you to repentance? Romans 2:4

7 Therefore I did not presume to come to you. But say the word, and let my servant be healed.
8 For I too am a man set under authority, with soldiers under me: and I say to one, 'Go,' and he goes; and to another, 'Come,' and he comes; and to my servant, 'Do this,' and he does it."

O: such complete confidence and faith in Jesus’ authority over all creation, over sickness, over death. He had confidence in Jesus’ sovereignty and lordship.

A: As believers, we say that we have confidence in Jesus’ authority over all things, in His sovereignty and His lordship. But, do we live like we actually believer that?

Very convicting for me to think how my responses in life, attitudes, emotions, behavior, efforts, anxieties, thoughts, and overall lifestyle would be altered if I really lived like I had total confidence in this and it was not merely an intellectual assertion but a practical reality in my life.

3/23/2017 6:59 am  #26

Luke 9

S: “For he who is least amount you all is the one who is great.” 9:48

O: The Pharisees sure didn’t understand servant leadership, neither did the Gentile rulers.  So it should be no surprise that the disciples all wanted to be the greatest and to be above the rest, it was what they were used to seeing.

A: Even today we puff ourselves up, trying to be the “greatest.”  You have pastors that, instead of serving with humility, puff themselves up as “the man of God,” never to be questioned.  As individuals, we constantly try to do more: more Bible studies, longer prayer time, serving more.  We are constantly measuring ourselves against others to make sure that we are better.  And we forget that God is more concerned with quality rather than quantity.  As long as we are focused on being the “greatest,” we will lack in a quality relationship with Him.

3/23/2017 9:56 am  #27

Luke 8 P1

8:14 And as for what fell among the thorns, they are those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by the cares and riches and pleasures of life, and their fruit does not mature.

Observation:
Three things are identified as preventing fruit to mature: cares (worries, concerns for physical needs), money (includes material possessions and nice things not just opulence but fancier homes newer cars), and pleasure (things we greatly desire to bring us happiness, even if good things if it is about making us happy)

Application:
It seems to me that even believers can stunt the growth of fruit in our lives when we focus too much on cares, money or pleasure.

Of course, we should ask for our needs to be met. God says to do so.

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

But we should not live obsessed about these needs being met, regardless of how God answers that prayer, because sometimes we will suffer in this world. But God will give us peace to not worry about those things. So, when we do, do we stunt the growth of spiritual fruit in our lives?

Of course, God is the giver of good things, there is nothing wrong with desiring good things or things that make us happy, but we must not desire pleasures instead of God.

But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days.  People will be ……. lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God 2 Timothy 3:1,2a,4b

Good lesson for me to be careful of giving too much regard for these things so as not to allow them to choke the fruit of God in my life and leave me with immature fruit.

Kneel in Prayer:
Lord give me a heart for Your kingdom, and remove my desires for things of this world. Remove any idols in my heart that compete for my allegiance to only Your purposes, Your will and Your Glory.

He predestined us for adoption as His sons through Jesus Christ, according to the good pleasure of His will, 6to the praise of His glorious grace Ephesians 1:5-6b

3/23/2017 10:16 am  #28

Luke 8 P2

8:38-39 The man from whom the demons had gone begged that he might be with him, but Jesus sent him away, saying, "Return to your home, and declare how much God has done for you." And he went away, proclaiming throughout the whole city how much Jesus had done for him.

O: He wanted to go and be with Jesus but Jesus wanted him to go and help others to glorify God by hearing what great works He has done.

A: We want the joy and ease of walking with Jesus and a reprieve and shelter from the sinful world, but called us to be His witnesses to the world. Mark 16:15

Sometimes we end up spending all of our time hiding away in church and spending time with our Christian friends. We can live in a cocoon. I don’t even have that many non-Christians that I spend time with. But God called us to go into our communities to declare His works.
God called us into town to declare what? To declare other people’s sins? No, He called us to declare what God has done for us and to glorify God for His great works.

Ultimately, to be saved, people must be called to repentance, to turn from sin. I am not saying that people don’t need to know that.

I just want to think of the balance in the message, attitude and over all pattern of life where maybe we are not always focusing on talking to people about their sin before we have declared God so that when people see the glory of God and recognize who God is, then can comprehend their depth of their sin. But talking about sin without a view of a holy glorious God may be something to rethink.

Optional GMG Discussion Question: Is there an area in your life where fear has crept in and God is stretching your faith?

Sometimes I fear for my family, loved ones, and foster kids who have come into my life briefly. But, I have to believe that God loves them more than I can even comprehend and if I am worried about them and want them cared for, how much more so does God and how much more capable is He of doing so.

Last edited by TBG (3/23/2017 10:18 am)

3/23/2017 11:36 pm  #29

Luke 9

9:10 On their return the apostles told him all that they had done. And he took them and withdrew apart to a town called Bethsaida. When the crowds learned it, they followed him, and he welcomed them and spoke to them of the kingdom of God and cured those who had need of healing.

O: Although Jesus needed his time alone to refresh, he did not get angry at them for interrupting. He welcomed them and ministered to them. He did later get his quiet time to pray.

A: It is easy to get upset when people interrupt us especially when they interrupt us from something we really need to do or our needed down time. But we should try to prioritize loving people and prioritize helping hurting people. But this does not mean that we should not make sure that we can later get that down time. Even Jesus needed time to refresh so we do too or we will burn ourselves out and be of no use to anyone.

3/26/2017 6:05 am  #30

Luke 10

S: “but one thing is necessary.  Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.”  10:42

A: Poor Martha!  Martha was so caught up in serving and doing that she missed out on the truly important.  She missed out on the relationship with Jesus.

A: When we neglect the habit of truly spending time with Jesus we begin to feel stressed and troubled.  When we start to be so busy doing, even when what we are doing is good – like serving in the church – that we forget to actually spend time with God, we lose that closeness.  When we stop and seek Jesus, we may find that what we were so busy doing wasn’t what He wanted from us in the first place.  What He wants is togetherness time.

Board footera