Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/07/2017 7:27 am  #61

Re: Luke

Luke 20

S: “Beware the scribes, who like to walk around in long robes, and love greetings in the marketplaces and the best seats in the synagogues and the places of honor at feasts” 20:46

O: The Pharisees acted righteous on the outside to impress men, but inside their hearts were far from God.

A: I find it interesting that God keeps drawing me back to verses like this.  I spent years ‘associating’ with people, and preachers, who were of the “man of God” mindset.  What they meant by that was that the preachers were somehow extra special with a greater link to God and any questioning of them was disrespectful to them and to God.  I really think that the Lord is using these verses to not only remember to keep myself humble, but also to watch the way that I view other people.

4/07/2017 5:06 pm  #62

Michelle wrote:

TBG wrote:

I have an early and long day tomorrow, so posting this today.

Praying that your day isn't too long today.

Thank you! I just had a lot of volunteer activities lined up on Wednesday. Was gone from 7 AM until 8:30 PM with only 2 hours at home mid day for a quick break and lunch.

Then I still had some volunteer work yesterday and today and a Women's Bible study last night! Yikes! Just got a bit busy these past few days.

4/07/2017 5:09 pm  #63

KimberlyP77 wrote:

A:  The parable reminds me that God is always seeking us, those who have given their lives to him and those that are still lost. 

KimberlyP77 wrote:

A: Don't go around trying to please everyone else,  Seek and do what is pleasing to God, as an early verse states, you can't serve two masters.

Excellent points. It is so beautiful how God is always seeking us, even in our sin and failures. He is faithful, even when we are unfaithful.

We must, must get past the obsession with other people, including ourselves, and really just live for God.

4/07/2017 5:10 pm  #64

Michelle wrote:

A: I am so glad that Jesus seeks and saves the lost, that I didn’t have to do anything to merit salvation.  If my salvation relied at all on me, I would still be lost.

A lady in my Sunday School made a statement I will never forget. She said, "if God gave us what we deserved, we would be hanging on a cross." Very powerful.

4/07/2017 5:11 pm  #65

Luke 19

19:8-10 And Zacchaeus stood and said to the Lord, "Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor. And if I have defrauded anyone of anything, I restore it fourfold." And Jesus said to him, "Today salvation has come to this house, since he also is a son of Abraham. For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost."

Observation
Zacchaeus wanted to know more about Jesus; he was earnestly desiring to see Him and rejoiced at the opportunity to listen to and know Him.

Jesus came to seek the lost and save them. Zacchaeus responded to Christ’s love with repentance.

Or do you presume on the riches of his kindness and forbearance and patience, not knowing that God’s kindness is meant to lead you to repentance? Romans 2:4

We see Zacchaeus change his lifestyle. A changed life is evidence of salvation.

God created us for the purpose of doing good works.

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. Ephesians 2:10

Application
We need to go to the lost not with correction of behavior, but with the message of salvation, which includes an understanding of our sin and necessitates an acceptance of the fact that we are sinners. The Holy Spirit must move on their hearts to thirst for and desire to know and understand God and to be aware of their sin and their need for saving.

19:12-13 He said therefore, "A nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom and then return. Calling ten of his servants, he gave them ten minas, and said to them, 'Engage in business until I come.'

Jesus is going to His Father, but He is coming back. While He is gone, He expects us to be about His business, about our Father’s business. We must diligently work to further God’s kingdom and the evidence should be fruit.

4/09/2017 7:45 pm  #66

Luke 20

20:26 And they were not able in the presence of the people to catch him in what he said, but marveling at his answer they became silent.

O: They knew the great wisdom and insight Jesus was displaying, but they had hard hearts.

A: We know the deep wisdom and truth of scripture, yet we make excuses and compromise, or we fail to prioritize study.

We know the wisdom and authority of God, yet fail to submit and fight against His direction. We fail to seek Him earnestly in devoted times of prayer, study, meditation, worship, and thanksgiving.

Note that worship is not the same as thanksgiving. Worship is expressing appreciation of God for who His is, for His nature and character. Thanksgiving, is expressing gratitude for what God has done. Both are important.

4/09/2017 7:46 pm  #67

Week of March 13
This Week’s Reading Assignment

Post your input below this post.
S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.

Monday
Reading: Luke 21
Verse of the Day: Luke 21:33
Good Morning Girls: Introduction to the Week
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Nothing in this world will last forever. We must not depend on the words we hear, the things we read or the possessions we own to sustain us. It is God’s Word that is powerful and eternal. His Words will last forever!
Do you find yourself tempted to substitute the words of this world for the Words of God? How can you make God’s Word more of a priority in your life?

Tuesday
Reading: Luke 22
Verse of the Day: Luke 22:19
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Every time we wake up and forget to talk to Jesus – we have forgotten. Every time we give into temptation and sin - we have forgotten. Every time we become independent of God and live life on our own terms – we have forgotten. Taking communion helps us to remember. We remember Jesus’ broken body and blood spilled out, for us.
Have you forgotten or grown numb to the truth of what Jesus did for you on the cross? Take some time right now and remember.
(If you are not a part of a local church where you are practicing the Lord’s Supper on a regular basis – please make the decision to find a church today.)

Wednesday
Reading: Luke 23
Verse of the Day: Luke 23:34
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Jesus knew that those who crucified Him were spiritually blind. They did not know what they were doing and He offered love to His enemies, just as He commands us to love our enemies.
Is there a spiritually blind person in your life, who has hurt you and who you need to forgive? This does not mean that you will be reconciled with them. For reconciliation, repentance is required. But forgiveness frees you from bitterness and resentment. Who do you need to forgive today?

Thursday
Reading: Luke 24
Verse of the Day: Luke 24:46
Good Morning Girls: Devotional and Video
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Some of the most beautiful words in scripture are these: “He is not here, but has risen.” This is what sets Jesus apart, from all other religions in history. You can search every grave but you will not find Him there. Jesus lived a sinless life and death had no grip on him. Our God is alive!
Because Jesus is alive, our passions, our priorities, our plans and our past times should look different. How has Jesus changed your life?

4/10/2017 7:44 am  #68

Luke 21

21:28 Now when these things begin to take place, straighten up and raise your heads, because your redemption is drawing near."

We see so many people, including believers, getting so anxious about all that we see going on around us whether it be violence, war, suffering, societal destabilization, immorality, etc. But, we should be hopeful knowing that this means our redemption is just that much closer. We should be living purposely, knowing that the time is short to bring in the harvest and the Lord is not willing that any should perish. But, we should live with the joy of our hope at the coming of our King and of being perfected into His image.

Ephesians 5:15-16
Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. (ESV)
Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. (NIV)

Colossians 3:3-4
For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory.

This world is not my home. This is not what I am obsessed about preserving.

As a citizen of a democratic republic it is my duty to be engaged and vote and to participate. And God clearly says we are to fulfill our civic duties.

But, here is the thing, my heart, hopes, and fears are not wrapped up in the results of my political involvement. I am not obsessed and pouring all of my energy and time and anxieties into trying to preserve or reclaim my country. This is not my home. I will contribute as best I can to building a society that is God honoring and well managed. But, I don’t get wrapped up in this and I don’t allow these things to cause me anxiety. This is not my hope.

4/10/2017 4:58 pm  #69

I got through the readings, hopefully tonight isn't to late of a night and I will get my SOAK's posted.  Please pray for my mom as she had a biopsy last week that came back not conclusive and they are now having her tested for cancer.  She battled it 5 years ago and beat it.  She's scared and stressed out and I'm just emotionally wrung out.  She goes in Wednesday for a cancer scan.  Thank you!

4/10/2017 8:05 pm  #70

KimberlyP77 wrote:

I got through the readings, hopefully tonight isn't to late of a night and I will get my SOAK's posted.  Please pray for my mom as she had a biopsy last week that came back not conclusive and they are now having her tested for cancer.  She battled it 5 years ago and beat it.  She's scared and stressed out and I'm just emotionally wrung out.  She goes in Wednesday for a cancer scan.  Thank you!

I just prayed for you and your mom.

I thank the Lord for your faith your story is such an encouragement to me and a testimony to the power of God to be all to us. It is an encouragement to tear down our idols of what we desire and to hold fast to God and to love God above all. I pray that you will have peace and that you will look back on the evidence of what God has done in your life and rest in that assurance that God is here, God is working, and God will be you and your mother's source. I pray that you will look back on how God has always been there for you and know that you can trust a good and loving God and that His strength will sustain you. I pray that you mother would find healing and that there will be no cancer in her body. I pray that she will have peace and this will drive her to press into God in a sweet and intimate way, I pray that both of you will feel his tangible peace and presence.

So glad you are a part of our community, Kimberly.

Board footera