Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/11/2017 6:24 am  #71

Re: Luke

Luke 21

S: “Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away.” 21:33

O: “I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty.” Revelation 1:8

Not only has God existed before time, He doesn’t change.  What He said 2,000 years ago still stands today, and will stand for all eternity.

A: If God changed, then I could never be confident in my salvation because He could decide to change how to get to heaven.  And because He doesn’t change, I can’t dismiss His commands in the Bible just because our society doesn’t like them.  The key though, is to look at Scripture through the lens of the New Covenant, remember that, while the Law is profitable to us, we are no longer under it.

4/12/2017 6:48 am  #72

Luke 22

S: And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in My blood.” 22:20

O: The Old Covenant was based on the shedding of animal blood as offerings to God.  The New Covenant is based on the shedding of perfect blood.  For, “without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins” (Hebrews 9:22).

A: Let me never forget that it is only through the shed blood of Christ that I can approach the throne of God.

4/12/2017 9:46 am  #73

Luke 22

I did read yesterday.  And I kept reading.  It was just so much that I just needed to keep reading.  These last chapters are

22:31-32  “Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift all of you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers.”

Observation: Peter failed, but his faith did not fail.  His faith was eternal. The evidence of our faith is that fact that our faith perseveres.

After this great failure, he ministered to the others.  Out of this failure, he grew stronger.

Application: Our faith is not ours. Because it is from God, a gift of God, true faith will not fail.

And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. Philippians 1:6

It is God who enables us, along with you, to stand firm for Christ. He has commissioned us, and he has identified us as his own by placing the Holy Spirit in our hearts as the first installment that guarantees everything he has promised us. 2 Corinthians 1:21-22

But also, out of our failures we can grow stronger and the experience can enable us to minister to others.

22:33-34 But he replied, “Lord, I am ready to go with you to prison and to death.” Jesus answered, “I tell you, Peter, before the rooster crows today, you will deny three times that you know me.”

Observation: This is perhaps arrogance or pride, or maybe overconfidence, lack of understanding, or lack of insight.

We also see that he did not watch and pray to help guard against temptation.

Application:
Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall. 1 Corinthians 10:12

We should be watchful and prayerful asking God to guard us against temptation, but also helping to keep our mind on God, increasing awareness of our dependence on God, and practicing our dependence on God to help keep us from failing in the face of temptation.

Be sober-minded (alert); be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. 1 Peter 5:8

4/12/2017 9:51 am  #74

Michelle wrote:

Luke 22
A: Let me never forget that it is only through the shed blood of Christ that I can approach the throne of God.

This reminds of this song. Such a song of encouragement when we feel weak or like we have failed.

Before the Throne of God Above

Before the throne of God above
I have a strong, a perfect plea
A great high Priest whose Name is Love
Who ever lives and pleads for me
My name is graven on His hands
My name is written on His heart
I know that while in heaven He stands
No tongue can bid me thence depart
No tongue can bid me thence depart

When Satan tempts me to despair
And tells me of the guilt within
Upward I look and see Him there
Who made an end to all my sin
Because the sinless Savior died
My sinful soul is counted free
For God the just is satisfied
To look on Him and pardon me
To look on Him and pardon me

Behold Him there the risen Lamb
My perfect spotless righteousness
The great unchangeable I am
The King of glory and of grace
One with Himself I cannot die
My soul is purchased by His blood
My life is hid with Christ on high
With Christ my Savior and my God!

One with Himself I cannot die
My soul is purchased by His blood
My life is hid with Christ on high

4/12/2017 10:17 am  #75

I love that song!

4/12/2017 4:36 pm  #76

Luke 23

23:34 And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do." And they cast lots to divide his garments.

We need to be like Jesus and instead of looking at how we were wronged, or our rights, we need to look at other’s brokenness and have compassion for them and pray for them to come to a knowledge of the truth.

23:42 And he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom."

O: For years, I did not think much of this, but I realize, I underestimated his faith. Here, Jesus seemed powerless and was being executed and humiliated. He didn’t know that Jesus would be resurrected. Yet, he believed Jesus would ultimately reign and rule!

A: We know that Jesus rose from the dead, yet, we can sometimes lose heart and lose confidence in the fact that Jesus will rule and reign.

4/13/2017 5:54 am  #77

Luke 23

S: Then Jesus, calling out with a loud voice, said, “Father, into Your hands I commit My spirit!”  And having said this He breathed His last.  23:46

“He was Himself both the priest and the sacrifice; our souls were forfeited, and His must go to redeem the forfeiture.” – Matthew Henry

Lord Jesus, thank You for being willing to suffer a most wicked and cruel death to pay the penalty for my sins.  Help me to keep the cross at the forefront of my mind as I live my daily life in its shadow.  Let me never take for granted, or take lightly, the price that You paid.

4/13/2017 7:13 am  #78

Luke 24

24:5 And as they were frightened and bowed their faces to the ground, the men said to them, "Why do you seek the living among the dead?

Why do we seek life in the dead things of this world? Why do we think we need to be more like a dead and dying world to reach people for Christ? Why are we so desperate for the dead and filthy entertainment of the world that we will compromise all our principles and fill our mind with things that are not pure just so we can see the latest movie or TV show? Why do we fill our churches with man-based “growth” strategies and wisdom and human “relevance” as if the dead things of the world can produce life when the Gospel of God is the power of God for salvation through the sovereign move of the Holy Spirit?

I pray that God would fill my heart and eyes with a view of Him and Him only, and that I would not seek life among the things that are dead, but I would seek life in Christ and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His suffering.

Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 1 John 2:15

Jesus died and rose to give us real life and life more abundantly. But, this world is not life, Christ return and our resurrection into His perfect image will be our real life, our hope, our abundance.

Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.  All who have this hope in him purify themselves, just as he is pure. 1 John 3:2-3

For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory. Colossians 3:3-4

24:6 He is not here, but has risen. Remember how he told you, while he was still in Galilee,

As Christ was raise, so we too have been raised from the dead; our old man has died and He has resurrected us as new creations to new life.

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. 2 Corinthians 5:17

See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! 1 John 3:1

24:25 And he said to them, "O foolish ones, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken!

It was just too much for them to believe. They could not wrap their mind around the fact that Jesus was raised.

Sometimes it is just too much for us to believe that God is at work in us and in our lives. But, as Christ indeed was raised, so we too have been raised from the dead, raised from our sin and raised to new life and a new work that God will continue to reveal more fully as Christ returns.

24:26 Was it not necessary that the Christ should suffer these things and enter into his glory?"

Is it not right that we too may have to suffer for eternal spiritual glory? Is the servant above his master?

Remember the word that I said to you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you. If they kept my word, they will also keep yours. John 15:20

For our light and temporary affliction is producing for us an eternal glory that far outweighs our troubles. 2 Corinthians 4:17

Last edited by TBG (4/13/2017 7:16 am)

4/13/2017 10:20 pm  #79

I did my readings, but not my soaks yet.  But I did want to send an update,   So my mom had her cancer scan yesterday. today she got the results.  They found a spot on her lung that they will remove and do a biopsy on.  They do believe its going to come back cancerous but feel they caught it early enough and that she'll only need radiation.  She's pretty upbeat about the whole thing and is happy to have some real answers.  So sometime next week she should be going in for surgery.

4/14/2017 6:30 am  #80

Luke 24

S: “Why do you seek the living among the dead?” 24:5

O: “But a reproof is given to those that look for Him among the dead, - that look for Him among the dead heroes that the Gentiles worshipped as if He were but like one of them, - that look for Him in an image, or a crucifix, the work of men’s hands, or among unwritten tradition and the inventions of men” – Matthew Henry

S: Jesus is alive and because of this I can have a relationship with Him.  I can spend time with Him, He hears me when I talk to Him, He is my comfort.

Board footera