Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/23/2017 6:49 pm  #41

Re: Psalms

Tuesday, Psalm 37

37:7 Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him; fret not yourself over the one who prospers in his way, over the man who carries out evil devices! 37:8  Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath! Fret not yourself; it tends only to evil.
Refrain from getting upset and ruminating about people with bad attitudes or who are unkind or insensitive. Allowing that to upset one only escalates the issue and bring more evil and conflict.

Instead, we should wait patiently for God to work all things out justly and leave Him to judge.

37:23 The steps of a man are established by the LORD, when he delights in his way;
37:31
The law of his God is in his heart; his steps do not slip.

We want direction in life, God's will, and for things to go well. We should delight in God's ways, keep His laws in our hearts then our decisions and direction will stay firmly on the path God has for us.

5/24/2017 10:08 pm  #42

Wednesday, Psalm 27

27:1 The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
27:3 Though an army
encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war arise against me, yet I will be confident.
No matter what comes against David, of this he is confident. God is our light, our truth that illuminates and reveals all things, He is our deliverance and our strong fortress of defense.

27:4 One thing have I asked of the LORD, that will I seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to inquire in his temple.

What I desire above all I actively seek to live with God so I can gaze on His beauty. Is this the only thing I want? So I allow other desires to compete with my desire to view God?

5/26/2017 9:37 am  #43

Thursday, Psalm 18

18:3  I call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies. 

God merits our praise.
It is reasonable, logical conclusion, that we worship Him with our lives.

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. Romans 12:1

18:27  For you save a humble people, but the haughty eyes you bring down. 

Must be humble enough to understand the gap between us and a Holy God. We must understand God's holiness - separateness - set apart- highness, and embrace the degree of our sin.

If we trust ourselves, have a high view of ourselves and value self, we feel we don't need a sovereign God or we want a God conformed to us.

5/26/2017 9:45 am  #44

Week 5 Devotion
Encountering God

PODCAST: Encountering God

I hope you have enjoyed reading the Psalms as much as I have. Some of them are very challenging and challenge our faith. This is good. This helps us to grown deeper in understanding of God by actually encountering God’s character and not just hearing a list of attributes.

As we study and meditate in detail on how He acts it makes us struggle through what God’s character means in daily life for David, and for us. This helps us to encounter God and to understand the depth of His nature. This ingrains it into our hearts and minds and is far more than just reading a list of attributes.

This is challenging because we understand what it means to submit to His sovereignty in everything and to trust Him in all circumstances. So, although it challenges our hearts and challenges our faith, I hope it also deepens our faith and deepens our commitment.

I saw three themes repeated over the course of these 5 weeks.

God is Love
We can trust God’s unending, unmovable, eternal love for us. We trust this not because of who we are or anything we have done. There is nothing we do that will stop it or change His love. His love is not dependent on our performance. God gives us mercy, kindness and love because of who He is, because of His character and nature. This is who God is; it is His immutable attribute. Our failures do not change His mercy and love. Praise God.

God is Just
God will bring about justice. We can trust God’s justice and fairness. He tempers His justice with love. That is why it seems His justice is sometimes delayed because He is patient and longing that all would turn to Him for repentance.

We must be patient and trust God's righteous judgment that He will judge, He will bring forgiveness and make all things right. But we must have patience and bear with our enemies as God patiently bore with us when we were His enemies and shows us unconditional unending forgiveness even of our current sins that we still do against Him.

Ultimately all evil will be punished and the penalty paid. No one will escape judgment for their wrong doing. For those who accept Christ, Christ will pay the penalty and take the judgment, but justice will be done.

God is our Source
He is our joy. He is our blessing in this life. As we learn who He is and seek a more intimate relationship with Him we will grow to delight in Him and find our joy and fulfillment in Him. To walk in His presence should be the one and only thing we most desire. We should trade any and all other things for the opportunity to feel His presence, to worship Him, and to view His work.

Strengthened Faith
I pray that our faith would grow as we experience God’s mercy and lovingkindness towards us, trust His mercy and seek His presence as our most treasured purpose.

Board footera