Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/12/2017 10:09 am  #11

Re: 2 Samuel

2 Samuel 6

6:2-3 And David arose and went with all the people who were with him from Baale-judah to bring up from there the ark of God, which is called by the name of the LORD of hosts who sits enthroned on the cherubim. And they carried the ark of God on a new cart and brought it out of the house of Abinadab, which was on the hill. And Uzzah and Ahio, the sons of Abinadab, were driving the new cart,

Observations
This was the throne of God, Yahweh “sits enthroned on the cherubim” of the ark.

They improvised on the way they thought was either better, or good enough. They did not feel like that had to follow what God had specifically said.

At worst, they were following the example of the Philistines in 1 Samuel 6:7-8. Now, they may not have meant anything by this. They may have just been doing the last thing they remembered, “oh, we can put the ark on a cart.” But, they were not considering the holiness of the ark and giving proper honor to God. They were treating the presence of God as is it were common. If they had proper reverence for God and awareness that God’s presence dwelt there, they would have thought to seek God’s will, God’s word, and God’s standards for coming near the ark.

Application
We can sometimes not feel that we need to follow God’s specific instructions. We can feel that we can compromise, cut corners, good enough, or do our own thing in some areas because we feel it is not that significant or important.

Remember, now, God’s presence dwells in us and we are His temple.

Are we guilty of not considering the holiness of God and what that means to how we should respond and act and to be holy as He is holy? Are we guilty of not showing God proper reverence – to fear God? Do we not properly honor God with our lives?

We no longer belong to ourselves, but to God because we were bought with a price to glorify God in our bodies and lives, to be holy and to present our bodies sacrificially as a Holy acceptable offering to God.

Discussion Question
When you worship, do you show emotion or do you repress it in fear of what others might think or say about you? We don’t think much of a football player dancing when he makes a touchdown or raising our hands in celebration when our child makes a goal. Do you struggle to express yourself in genuine worship or do you feel free to lift your voice and hands in praise?

I am comfortable and wiling to show emotion. I do think it is appropriate in corporate worship however, to balance that with respect for others. Corporate worship, is corporate. So, if the group is less physically demonstrative, I don’t want to become the distraction and causing them to focus on me instead of on God. When I am in groups that are more demonstrative, then I feel free to respond in any way I am led. If it is a less demonstrative group, I still quietly or more discretely express myself, but I am careful not to act in a way that everyone looks at me and are focusing on me.

Last edited by TBG (6/12/2017 10:15 am)

6/13/2017 8:53 am  #12

2 Samuel 7

7:2 The king said to Nathan the prophet, "See now, I dwell in a house of cedar, but the ark of God dwells in a tent."

I love David. He is always thinking about God and God’s honor and has a sincere love for the Lord. He is proactively seeking how he can honor and bless God.

Do I do that or do I spend all of my time thinking about myself? Do I go through the day longing to bless God, do I pray excitedly how I can honor God? Are my thoughts consumed with thoughts of God, His kingdom and His pleasure?

7:3 And Nathan said to the king, "Go, do all that is in your heart, for the LORD is with you."

Nathan did not first seek an answer from God. It probably seemed obvious, right? The desire was not against the scripture, it was a godly desire, David sought godly counsel – so go for it! Yes, but they missed the step of praying for either confirmation and to be open to God directing another way or for peace about it.

7:15 but my steadfast love will not depart from him, as I took it from Saul, whom I put away from before you.

God will keep loving Solomon because of who God is not because of Solomon’s performance. He keeps loving Solomon even when Solomon sins.

God loves us because of who He is, not because of what we do and He keeps loving us even when we sin.

7:21 Because of your promise, and according to your own heart, you have brought about all this greatness, to make your servant know it.

God blessed David, not because of what David did, or his level of goodness, or even because David was a man after God’s own heart, but because of God’s promise, according to God’s heart desire.

7:23 And who is like your people Israel, the one nation on earth whom God went to redeem to be his people, making himself a name and doing for them great and awesome things by driving out before your people, whom you redeemed for yourself from Egypt, a nation and its gods?

We too are now God’s special people. Who is like us? God redeemed us by His Son, paid the ransom in His blood, reconciled us by His own will and power so that He might make His dwelling in our hearts and fill us with His presence and power to do all that He wills.

But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. Once you were not a people, but now you are God's people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy. 1 Peter 2:9-10

Optional GMG Discussion/ Personal Reflection Question: David did not see himself as great but rather he saw God as great. More than 10 times in this passage, David calls himself a servant. David had a heart of humility and he longed to do more for God.

Sometimes, due to our own selfishness, we can be tempted to do as little as possible for God. David had a heart that was willing to go above and beyond because he saw God’s greatness. Sit and ponder for a moment on the greatness of God. List 5 ways that God is great and one way that you can show God a humble servant’s heart.

I can get caught up in focusing on doing more towards the list of goals I want to accomplish and not working as hard to accomplish the things God wants to accomplish.

God is:
Sovereign
Outside of time
He is the definition of wisdom and love
Gracious and forgiving beyond what I can comprehend
Perfect and holy

To focus my mind through the day about what I can do for God. Lord what can I do for You today or right now?

6/14/2017 4:47 pm  #13

2 Samuel 8

8:11 These also King David dedicated to the LORD, together with the silver and gold that he dedicated from all the nations he subdued,
8:14b And the LORD gave victory to David wherever he went.

God gave David the victory and David used the victory God gave him to bless God and dedicated the spoils of his success to Yahweh, Jehovah, the LORD.

David wanted to use his strength and wealth for God. Do we? Or do we think all the time of how we can use our strength and wealth for ourselves?

Start each day and ask, “how can I bless God and be used by Him today?

6/15/2017 10:07 am  #14

2 Samuel 9

9:12 And Mephibosheth had a young son, whose name was Mica. And all who lived in Ziba's house became Mephibosheth's servants.

God showed His kindness and His faithfulness to faithful and honorable Jonathan. He preserved his line and blessed his descendants. 1 Chronicles 8-35-40 list the descendants of Mica. Verse 40 says that these descendants were “men who were mighty warriors, bowmen, having many sons and grandsons.“ So, God blessed Jonathan’s seed and they like Jonathan were brave and mighty men.

God is faithful.

Discussion Question: David gives us a pattern of serving others in this passage. Who can you seek out to bless? Is there someone undeserving, who is weak, poor, and hidden, who you can show the kindness of God to? Follow David’s example. Be a blessing to someone who is undeserving today.
This is an excellent example to us What a great idea to wake up each day and ask who we can bless that day. To go about our day looking for someone to bless.

Lord, who can I bless today?

6/16/2017 3:34 pm  #15

2 Samuel 10

10:2 And David said, "I will deal loyally with Hanun the son of Nahash, as his father dealt loyally with me." So David sent by his servants to console him concerning his father. And David's servants came into the land of the Ammonites.

David felt that the ethical thing to do would be to do kindly to his son. However, God had another plan for the Ammonites. 1 Samuel 11:1 shows they were enemies of Israel.

But, David did not have to act in an unethical or compromising manner to accomplish God’s goals. God saw to it that His goals were accomplished.

I think we as believers in an increasingly hostile society that rejects our values need to be careful not to panic and think we have to accomplish change in our own strength.

6/16/2017 3:45 pm  #16

Week 2 Devotional

4 Minute Podcast: Running Back to God

Running Back to God
And David was angry because the LORD had burst forth against Uzzah. 2 Samuel 6:8

In 2 Samuel chapter one, David did not get angry and bitter when Jonathan died. He accepted God’s actions and decisions. But here he is angry at God for killing Uzzah. We cannot know why he responded differently, but we do know that he became angry.

In last weeks devotion, we talked about how it takes great faith to fight for God. Well, that led me to think about faith. David was a man of legendary faith as told by the book of Hebrews. And we can see why in this passage.

The thing I have always liked about David, and I suppose God did too it that he always runs back to God. He was angry, he ran back to God. He was afraid of God’s power and perhaps was struggling to trust God’s goodness. But, he ran back to God with praise and danced before God with all his might.

In 1 Samuel, we see him making poor choices, but when his back was against the wall it says he “strengthened himself in the Lord.” (1 Samuel 30:6)

Our spiritual journey will take us many places. Sometimes we will go through periods where we feel we can’t hear God speak and can’t feel His presence or direction in our lives. Other times, we will be too weak or overwhelmed to pray and to seek Him. We will go through periods of discouragement, disillusionment, and yes, even anger and bitterness. We will struggle with sorrow and pain and confusion. Sometimes we lack clarity and can’t understand what God want us to do or where we are heading.

But, we must not get stuck in this cycle. Eventually, like David, we must go running back to God; we must strengthen ourselves in the Lord.

Making Merry Before God
And David did not just run back to God, he joyfully worshiped him with all his being. Let us learn, let us cultivate the discipline or worship. Yes, I said “learn” to worship. We must “learn” to worship as we naturally want to focus inward on ourselves. Let us cultivate the discipline of worship. Yes, “discipline.” It takes discipline to worship. And like all disciplines we get stronger and more consistent with it when we practice and exercise it.

The Bible says that praise is a sacrifice. A sacrifice is “an act of giving up something valued for the sake of something else regarded as more important or worthy.” We must give something up, our time, our energy, our self-focus, to do something more important to give to the One who is worthy of all we have to give.

Wearing a linen ephod, David was dancing before the LORD with all his might, 2 Samuel 6:14.

We need to cultivate a heart that overflows and expresses joy before God for all He has done. He has chosen us, redeemed us, transformed us, reconciled us, and He dwells in us. It pleased God to die for us because He longed to live among us. Wow, as if I am worthy enough for the God of the universe to desire to live with me, to desire to rescue me.

Even in the difficult times, where there is little happiness in our own lives, I pray we make merry before God. May we worship and celebrate His goodness with all our might.

I will make merry before the LORD 2 Samuel 6:21

6/18/2017 2:19 pm  #17

Week of June 19
This Week’s Reading Assignment

Post your input below this post.
S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.

Monday
Reading: 2 Samuel 11
Verse of the Day: 2 Samuel 11:27
Optional GMG Discussion/ Personal Reflection Question: When David was tempted, instead of fleeing temptation – he brought temptation closer. He acted on impulse and pursued the temptation and chose to fall into sin.

What temptation are you struggling with today? Naming your temptation is the first step to overcoming it. We all are tempted in many ways. You do not need to be ashamed of feeling tempted. But we do need to be on guard, because all temptations begin in the heart and mind. Repent of any sin in your life that you have pursued and get help if you are not able to overcome a temptation in your life. God will forgive you and he wants to strengthen you today.

Tuesday
Reading: 2 Samuel 12
Verse of the Day: 2 Samuel 12:13
Optional GMG Discussion/ Personal Reflection Question: David took responsibility for his sin. He didn’t blame-shift, rationalize, minimize or justify his actions. Though David’s sin was against Uriah and Bathsheba, he recognized that ultimately it was against God. After his confession, David received both immediate forgiveness and immediate consequences for his sin.

Do you realize that all sin is ultimately, against God? Is there a sin you need to confess today? Whether the sin seems big or small, if God is bringing it to mind, confess it. Confession does not need to be a long or drawn out. It is a purifying process and you will find immediate forgiveness from your loving Savior.

Wednesday
Reading: 2 Samuel 13
Verse of the Day: 2 Samuel 13:21
Optional GMG Discussion/ Personal Reflection Question: David was angry when he heard of his son’s dreadful behavior but he did nothing! He failed as a father to discipline his son and protect his daughter. David’s failure as a parent came because of his own sin and impurities.

If you are a parent, God is calling you to train your children to walk in obedience to Him. Whether you have sinned in the past and your child is repeating your sin or not – you must address the sin in your children’s lives. If you don’t, who will? Is there someone in your life who is living in sin who you need to gently correct? Write a prayer asking God to open a door for you to boldly speak truth into the life of your loved one.

Thursday
Reading: 2 Samuel 14
Verse of the Day: 2 Samuel 14:25
Optional GMG Discussion/ Personal Reflection Question: Israel loved King Saul because he was attractive and once again, Israel loved Absalom because of his handsome appearance. In chapter 15, we are told that Absalom stole the hearts of the men of Israel. Man looks at the outside appearance, but God looks at the heart.

Is there someone in your life today, who you are drawn to simply because of his or her outward appearance? What is this person’s heart like? Remember to be on guard against appearances. Man looks at the outside but God looks at the heart.

Friday
Reading: 2 Samuel 15
Verse of the Day: 2 Samuel 15:20
Optional GMG Discussion/ Personal Reflection Question: David had shown great grace to Absalom, yet Absalom turned on David and betrayed him. David never blamed God for his difficulties. David continued to trust in God’s goodness despite, once again, being on the run in fear of his life.

Have you grown weary in doing good? Perhaps you have trusted in God’s goodness through a difficult trial, only to find yourself once again in another heavy trial. God is with you and he will carry you through. Take your trial to the Lord in prayer today, as a commitment to continue to trust in God.

6/21/2017 11:10 am  #18

Sorry, ladies. I have been doing my reading but just not having time to post my thoughts.

2 Samuel 11

11:1 In the spring of the year, the time when kings go out to battle, David sent Joab, and his servants with him, and all Israel. And they ravaged the Ammonites and besieged Rabbah. But David remained at Jerusalem.

Success may have made David complacent. He may have lost his passion for work. It seems he usually went to battle (8:1,3, 10:17). It also says this was the time kings went to battle, but David remained at home, this implies that it was something against the norm to stay at home.

We too can get complacent in our leisure, ease or routine and lose passion for what God calls us to do in our daily lives and lose passion in our work for God’s kingdom and purposes.

I want to not have a complacent approach to life. I want to be passionate about the things God has put in my life. I don’t want to direct my attention and passion towards other things that can lead to sin but embrace my daily responsibilities and take joy in fiving in and working with energy and diligence.

Other things I see in this narrative:

- Desired to satisfy his flesh, he was focused on his flesh not on his work
- He betrayed God, his faithful, trusting and loyal servant, other innocent men
- sin leads to greater sin as we do anything to cover up the initial sin v15
- innocent and godly people are hurt and injured and suffer as a result of our actions v17
- sin hurts others and our community – innocent soldiers and servants of the king dies along with Uriah v17
- sin makes us selfish; we start only caring about our own pleasure, image and standing v25 (he showed not mourning, care or sorrow about the innocent men who died as collateral or their families’ suffering  and basically gave Joab a “way to go.”

Joab consistently shows that he is not a man of character and integrity. It is a mistake to surround oneself with people who lack integrity. You end up feeding off each other’s sins. It would be better if David had had a person who would challenge him and hold him accountable and refuse to compromise morally.

6/21/2017 11:10 am  #19

2 Samuel 12

12:5 Then David's anger was greatly kindled against the man, and he said to Nathan, "As the LORD lives, the man who has done this deserves to die,

We can have blind spots to our own behavior and justify our actions while showing no grace to other’s for their sins. We forget that we are inclined to sin and have and do sin.

12:9 Why have you despised the word of the LORD, to do what is evil in his sight? You have struck down Uriah the Hittite with the sword and have taken his wife to be your wife and have killed him with the sword of the Ammonites.

The focus of the reproof was on the fact that David despised God – not that he hurt Uriah.

Despise – hold in contempt, disdain, regard as worthless, lack respect for, show open disregard, regard something as unworthy

When we sin we regard God as unworthy, without sufficient value to merit, our respect and obedience; we reject His jurisdiction (contempt of court) and refuse to respect His decrees; we treat His word as worthless and distasteful.

When we sin we are saying, “God does not have sufficient value to merit my respect and obedience. I reject His authority. His word is useless and distasteful to me. I prefer my wisdom, decisions and leadership. I won’t surrender control to God.

Job 23:12b I have treasures the words of His mouth more than my daily bread.

Psalm 19:7 The law of the Lord is perfect, refreshing the soul. The statues of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple.

Psalm 119:97 Oh how I love Your law; it is my meditation all the day

Psalm 18:30 As for God, His way is perfect; the Lord’s word is flawless

Deuteronomy 8:3 And he humbled you and let you hunger and fed you with manna, which you did not know, nor did your fathers know, that he might make you know that man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD.

12:10-11 Now therefore the sword shall never depart from your house, because you have despised me and have taken the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be your wife.' Thus says the LORD, 'Behold, I will raise up evil against you out of your own house. And I will take your wives before your eyes and give them to your neighbor, and he shall lie with your wives in the sight of this sun.

12:13 David said to Nathan, "I have sinned against the LORD." And Nathan said to David, "The LORD also has put away your sin; you shall not die.

Forgiveness does not negate consequences, including long-reaching consequences.

I verse 11 we see God punishing David. I don’t think God punishes New Testament saints. I would see any action as chastisement or discipline to bring us back into right behavior since Christ took the punishment.

12:14 Nevertheless, because by this deed you have utterly scorned the LORD, the child who is born to you shall die."

The sin brought dishonor to God. As believers, our sin defames God’s name and bring dishonor to Him.

12:20 Then David arose from the earth and washed and anointed himself and changed his clothes. And he went into the house of the LORD and worshiped. He then went to his own house. And when he asked, they set food before him, and he ate.

12:22 He said, "While the child was still alive, I fasted and wept, for I said, 'Who knows whether the LORD will be gracious to me, that the child may live?'

David shows complete trust and transparency with God. David did not hold back in prayer or couch it in disclaimers. He boldly and fervently petitioned God for what he wanted yet unconditionally accepted whatever God chose and responded in worship.

I love that. Ask fervently and accept in worship.

12:24-25 Then David comforted his wife, Bathsheba, and went in to her and lay with her, and she bore a son, and he called his name Solomon. And the LORD loved him and sent a message by Nathan the prophet. So he called his name Jedidiah, because of the LORD.

Jedidiah means beloved of Yahweh. We see God’s redemption and love. He redeemed the circumstances.

We must accept the consequences of our sin, but take peace in the truth that God can bring redemption in the midst of consequences.

6/21/2017 11:12 am  #20

2 Samuel 13

13:21 When King David heard of all these things, he was very angry.

Just like with Joab when he killed Abner, David again tolerates sin because of his affection for a person. He lets sin rot his kingdom and defile the justice and purity of his rule with longer term consequ3nces and suffering of many people.

It is not compassionate or loving to tolerate sin or to not lovingly conform sin with truth and love and a call to repentance when it is appropriate for you to do so based on our intimate relationship with a person or your position of authority. We need to work towards restoring people to God not covering up and denying their need for reconciliation.

13:39 And the spirit of the king longed to go out to Absalom, because he was comforted about Amnon, since he was dead.

David again shows his passivity in not reaching out in forgiveness and love.

Last edited by TBG (6/22/2017 8:20 am)

Board footera