Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/10/2014 7:28 pm  #41

Re: Genesis

TBG wrote:

Chapter 9

Scripture
I set My rainbow in the cloud, and it shall be for the sign of the covenant between Me and the earth.
Verse 13

Application
Whenever we see a rainbow, it is a reminder that God has established the cycles of the earth; that they continue by His hands and will until the end of times.

Other thoughts
I wonder why it was shameful to see their Dad’s nakedness?  This was not an issue of lust or elicit sexuality, he was not being publicly immodest. 

Ok, so read some commentary notes.  Still no clear answers, but some insight.  Perhaps it was not so much about being naked, but more about how shameful his drunkenness was that would leave him in that state. Also there is some conjecture that Ham was mocking his father in some way not simply noticing he was naked. But in telling his brothers he was showing derision and mocking his father.

This reminds us of the scripture that “Wine is a mocker, Strong drink is a brawler, And whoever is led astray by it is not wise.” Proverbs 20:

I think it was a combination of both. Had he not been drunk, he would not have been in naked. For his sons to cover him, it was not a normal practice. I'm just imagining now but most drunken people that fall alseep look unkempt so can't imagine it was a sight his sons wanted others to see.

10/10/2014 7:46 pm  #42

G

TBG wrote:

Chapter 10: really did not get much spiritual application from it, but it was good to lay a historical groundwork for who the future people groups are that we will see later.

Chapter 11

Scripture
And they said, “Come, let us build ourselves a city, and a tower whose top is in the heavens; let us make a name for ourselves, lest we be scattered abroad over the face of the whole earth.

Observation
God had told them to scatter and spread out and they are specifically defying His instructions
They were seeking to make a name for themselves, for recognition, to “be somebody”

Application
It is like they wanted to elevate themselves and revel in their own abilities to show their greatness, even if it was not what God wanted them to do and in fact actually opposed to what God wanted them to do.

We are frequently too busy working to elevate ourselves to do God’s work. This hits home especially again when it comes to the workplace. We can be so busy trying to protect our reputation, etc., that we can allow bad attitudes to come up. But we are God’s ambassadors. We need to be more concerned with being a witness with our good attitudes, than defending ourselves and elevating ourselves. Can you imagine if an ambassador for the government was spending his time pushing his own personal agenda and the not the agenda of his government? That would be crazy and he would be immediately fired. We can’t be pushing our agenda, I am God’s ambassador; it is His diplomacy I should be concerned with and not my own.

There seems to be a lot of themes dealing with pride in the first few chapters of Genesis; people repeatedly try to elevate themselves. It is like this is really the “original” sin and/or the root cause (or origin/genesis) of all sins.

Great insight about the first few chapters. I actually went back and reread them. Thanks

10/11/2014 10:05 am  #43

NLWnMD wrote:

He was telling Abram to appreciate what he has and not concentrate on what he does not have or what Lot has. In life, there has been and will continue to be many situation were I will not get the best or what the world/they (never figured out who they is)  considered the best. But, instead of spending my energy on what I don't have, I need to focus on and appreciate what I do have.

Yes, good reminder to focus on what God has blessed us with and not on all the shinny pretty things in this world.  Also, not to focus on the unfair things in the world either.

Genesis 14

Scripture
13:13: But the men of Sodom were exceedingly wicked and sinful against the Lord.
14:12 They also took Lot, Abram’s brother’s son who dwelt in Sodom.

Observation
He went from pitching his tent near the city to living in the city although it was known to be an evil city and one that sinned against the Lord.

Application
Obviously, in our times almost every city is wicked.  But I think the application is watching the company we keep.  Now, Jesus routinely ate with sinners, so I am not saying we should not have relationships with unbelievers.  I am saying we should not be hanging out in places where inappropriate things are going on and hanging out in certain environments. 

How often in the news is some athlete in trouble, not because they initiated anything wrong, they were just hanging out at some bar at 2 AM, and sure enough someone else starts trouble and they get swept up in the mess.  It happens, all the time.  Question, what were they doing out at some bar at 2 AM?  They may want to hang out with their friends and have a couple of drinks, but that probably is not the wisest decision to do so late at night in some bar.

It is the same thing we try to tell teenagers.  They go to some party and if kids are drinking under aged or if anyone is using drugs, guess what, the police take everyone in who was there.  Even the people not drinking or taking the drugs still get in trouble and swept up for just being there.

Scripture
Verses 22-23
But Abram said to the king of Sodom, “With raised hand I have sworn an oath to the Lord, God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth,that I will accept nothing belonging to you, not even a thread or the strap of a sandal, so that you will never be able to say, ‘I made Abram rich.’

Observation
Abram wanted to make sure that God would get the glory and credit for his success.  Sodom very wicked and he did not want the word to get around that he became great only because of his gifts from Sodom; he wanted to make sure the testimony was that God did a great work through him.

Abram had great trust and confidence in God – he did not need to do anything drastic to ensure his success.

Application
As a general principle, I don’t think there is anything wrong with taking blessings and gifts from people – God still gets glory.  But the application is that sometimes we can be tempted to cut corners and do things that are less than appropriate.  However, we need to trust that God has the answer and not act in a way that is not honoring to God.

Last edited by TBG (10/11/2014 11:09 am)

10/13/2014 10:10 am  #44

Chapter 16

It appears that Abram and Sarai were impatient with God and decided to help the plan along with having a son. God did say that Abram's son would be his own flesh in Chapter 14; however, God did not mention that Saria would be the mother or who would be the mother. Perhaps, this made Abram and Sarai think they were following a plan GOD has laid out for them. .....ummm. I don't know or did they lack faith  and decided it was their time, they were no longer waiting on the Lord? 

I must listen carefully to guidance from the Lord so that he can lead me. I can not become impatient and decide to do it man's way. I should not be tempted to do things my way, in my time, instead of holding on to my faith, being patient and waiting on the Lord.

Board footera