Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/09/2014 9:42 pm  #11

Re: Genesis Part 3: Chapter 36 to end

TBG wrote:

Chapter 40 

We see in verse 8 where Joseph says, “do not interpretations belong to God?” that Joseph truly understands God’s sovereignty.

In verse 15 it shows that Joseph is fully aware of the injustices against him and is still hopeful for escape, yet even when deliverance does not come, yet he still trusts in God and serves God.

May we be faithful to God, and be about His work even when we are not delivered from the pain and despair of our circumstances.  May we be faithful to God regardless of the pain in this life and look to Him as our source, and our hope for eternity.  May be set our minds on things above and not on things on this earth (Col 3) for God has given us every spiritual blessing in heavenly places (Ephesians 1).  Praise God.

Amen!

11/10/2014 2:41 pm  #12

Chapter 41

Joseph again speaks to his great hurt in verse 51 when he names his child Manasseh – trying to forget his years of toil and longing.  It appears it was both an emotionally and physically dark time for him.  Yet he never became bitter.  He never wavered in his trust of God.

Scripture
16 So Joseph answered Pharaoh, saying, "It is not in me; God will give Pharaoh an answer of peace."
38 And Pharaoh said to his servants, "Can we find such a one as this, a man in whom is the Spirit of God?"

Observation
It was not Joseph’s talents as an administrator that made him stand out, it was that people could see the Spirit of God in him.

It is also worth noting that it does not seem that Joseph’s pagan wife (she was the daughter of an idolatrous priest) turned his heart from God.  This is one of the only times I can think of in the Old Testament of this.  Almost always a pagan wife turned the heart of the person away from the one true God, even look at the great and wise King Solomon. 

Application
We rely on our own talents when we need to focus first and foremost on ensuring that God lives in us by nurturing, feeding, and being continual filled with the Spirit so that people can see Him alive in us.

11/11/2014 8:49 am  #13

Chapter 42

I don’t see genuine repentance here.  I see that the brothers feel guilty and are worried that they are going to have to pay for their crime.  It does not seem to me that they are sincerely bereaved at what they did to Joseph, but more concerned about being forced to suffer because of it.

It appears that Jacob had transferred his “favorite” status to Benjamin in the face of Joseph's loss.  It appears he still loves Rachel more than Leah, and this is reflected is his affection towards his children.

11/13/2014 9:38 am  #14

Chapter 43-44

Think Joseph wanted to make sure that they were not going to still want to hurt Benjamin or even him.  He wanted to know that they were loyal and trustworthy before he let them in his life again.

11/15/2014 8:41 am  #15

Chapter 45

Verse 14: Then he fell upon his brother Benjamin's neck and wept, and Benjamin wept upon his neck.
This seems to be genuine love and desire for his brothers.  It really does not seem like he was angry or holding a grudge. 

Verse 5: And now do not be distressed or angry with yourselves because you sold me here, for God sent me before you to preserve life.
Verse 7: And God sent me before you to preserve for you a remnant on earth, and to keep alive for you many survivors.

My Bible notes took me to 1 Peter 2:23:
When he was reviled, he did not revile in return; when he suffered, he did not threaten, but continued entrusting himself to him who judges justly.

Ooh, that is hard.  Sometimes God has us in a difficult or painful circumstance for a season.  When that happens, do we suffer patiently and trust ourselves to the One who judges righteously?

I admit I do not. This is definitely an area of growth for  me.

In Jeremiah Israel had been conquered and carried away into exile.  All they could think of was how and when they would be delivered.  But God said, hey – you are going to be here for a while, so you might as well make the best of it and do your best to flourish in this environment.

Jeremiah 29:4-7
Thus says the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, to all the exiles whom I have sent into exile from Jerusalem to Babylon: Build houses and live in them; plant gardens and eat their produce.  Take wives and have sons and daughters; take wives for your sons, and give your daughters in marriage, that they may bear sons and daughters; multiply there, and do not decrease.  But seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the LORD on its behalf, for in its welfare you will find your welfare.

So when we are in those places, do we have a good attitude and do our best to contribute and make the best of the situation while we wait patiently on the Lord and have sincere and living trust in God as shown by a sense of deep peace and patient endurance?

That is a good challenge for us.  And sometimes, the situation we are in really is not that bad, and, in fact, God has blessed us greatly.  But we focus on that one small thing that upsets us and allow that to make us miserable.  How much more, even in those minor circumstances, do we need to shake off our hyper focus on self and individual wants and bless God for His blessings, while patiently enduring the disappointments.

Last edited by TBG (11/15/2014 8:42 am)

11/18/2014 9:28 am  #16

Chapter 46-47

I have read them.  Just don't have any particular insight.

11/19/2014 9:45 am  #17

Chapter 48

vs 15-16 And he blessed Joseph and said,
“The God before whom my fathers Abraham and Isaac walked,
    the God who has been my shepherd all my life long to this day,
 the angel who has redeemed me from all evil, bless the boys;
    and in them let my name be carried on, and the name of my fathers Abraham and Isaac;
    and let them grow into a multitude in the midst of the earth.”

We see here that Jacob illustrates God as a shepherd – takes care of, guides, corrects, rescues and his redeemer – purchase us back from evil and from sin.  This may be the first place we see God referenced as a shepherd.  My Bible notes say it is the first place that God is referenced as redeemer.  So we see these themes layout out for the first time here.  Looking back on the life of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob we can see how this characterization of God has been true in their lives.

It is a reminder for us to allow God to shepherded us and to accept His guidance and to respond when he is trying to direct us in a certain direction, to accept His correction and to trust Him to redeem us from the evil around us to be at work inside us to redeem us from the sin within.  Praise God.

11/20/2014 10:32 am  #18

Chapter 49

Looking at Jacob’s prophesies for his sons, we see two tribes would be the most prominent, Judah and Joseph through Ephraim (Chapter 48 told us that Ephraim was chosen as prominent above his brother Manasseh)

The Judah was the default first born after the first three were disqualified (Reuben for coming in to his father’s wife, Simeon and Levi for their corrupt cruelty).  This was also the line of David and the Messiah. Caleb, the faithful spy that said they could take the land and the co-leader with Joshua was from the tribe of Judah.  The southern kingdom was known by the name of Judah and was comprised primarily of Judah although the smaller tribe of Benjamin, the Levites, and apparently some others from the North who feared God also resided in the southern kingdom.

Joshua was from the tribe of Ephraim, as was the great prophet Samuel.  The northern kingdom was known as Ephraim.  Interestingly, the northern tribe was never restored.  The southern tribe was eventually restored after returning from Babylon captivity.

11/20/2014 6:07 pm  #19

Genesis 50

Joseph was held in such great honor and esteem because of the way he lived his life.  This should be a goal of all of us to live in such a way.

The brothers still had not grown in spiritual discernment to understand Joseph’s forgiveness and God’s provision.  They are still riddled with guilt.

I wonder if Joseph wept when he received the message from his brothers because he was hurt that they still did not know he forgave them and was hurt by the fact that they did not have intimacy and trust with him, or was he hurt because he finally received an apology.  Because I don’t consider this a genuine apology, it seems that they were just trying to save their own skins.

Verse 19: But Joseph said to them, "Do not fear, for am I in the place of God?
What a key lesson for us to learn.  Are we God to try to punish people or get revenge when people hurt us?  No, we are called to give the same mercy and grace that God has extended to us when we sin against God.

Verse 24: And Joseph said to his brothers, "I am about to die, but God will visit you and bring you up out of this land to the land that he swore to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob."

Even to the very end Joseph showed his unwavering faith in God and trust that God would fulfill His promises.  What a beautiful and inspirational testimony.

Board footera