Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/07/2015 11:01 am  #21

Re: Weekly Discussion: Exodus Chapters 1-5

“Then you should say to Pharaoh, Thus says the Lord. Israel is My son My firstborn. So I say to you let my son go that he may serve Me. But if you refuse to let him go, indeed I will kill your son your firstborn.” (Exodus 4: 22)

God is calling the Israelites, the entire nation, as one and stating they are his first born. I love this verse because just as God called the Israelites his firstborn, I know that he looks onto each of us both collectively and individually in this way. Wow! How beautiful is this image.

In order to illustrate the severity of sin that Pharaoh has done to God by oppressing his people-- a people He considers collectively as his first born. He makes a warning that if they are not released to be free, Pharaoh’s first born son will die. The power to take a life is for God and God alone to decide

Today I am reminded of this verse: “If God is for me who can be against me.” (Romans 8:31). In this life, we may meet many stubborn individuals, like Pharaoh, they may be people with a tremendous amount of power. It can be easy to get frustrated and intimated by man’s laws especially when they go against the goodness of God’s law. When we remember that “the battle belongs to the Lord” (2 Chronicles 20:15). We have nothing to fear: We just need to trust in Him and stay the course. Knowing God is the key to eternal life and happiness on earth

“So he shall be your spokesperson to the people. And he himself shall be as a mouth for you, and you shall be to him as God” (Exodus 4:16.)  

I love the fact that God provided Moses a mouthpiece. I’m not clear as to if he really had a speech impairment or it was just nerves. Either way, we all need one another. I am glad that Moses and Aaron were a pair in the delivery of God’s people and the message. For the bible tells us:

“ Two are better than one,
Because they have a good reward for their labor.
 For if they fall, one will lift up his companion.
But woe to him who is alone when he falls,
For he has no one to help him up” (Ecclesiastes 4:9-10).

Recently, I went through a trial that I knew I was incapable of fighting in my own strength. I told God there was no way I was going to win this fight unless he sent others to help me. And at the time I felt I was David going up against Goliath. God did help me get through the trial that I felt was an impossible battle for me to handle alone. However, I made it through with the help of many other intelligent, strong, articulate, and good people that God brought into my path.  It was only through his power and grace that everything unraveled for the good and God’s battle was won. Looking back, it was never really my fight to begin with…  I just went along for the ride and practiced faith.  (The kind of Faith when you know –only God can do this!)  Thank you Jesus, for saving me, once again, from an impossible situation for me, but a possible situation for you. “For nothing is impossible with God"  (Luke 1:37). I love you and I hope that I can follow your law more and more each day as you lead the way.
In Jesus Name, Amen

Theresnoplacelike Home

1/07/2015 1:02 pm  #22

11 But Moses said to God, “Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh, and that I should bring the children of Israel out of Egypt?”

This is a verse that always strikes me because I think it's such a true response that myself and many other Christians feel.  Often we don't feel good enough or worthy to be asked something like this by God.  We don't feel strong enough or powerful enough.  But God says we are good enough, and with him, anything is possible.  We sometimes forget that we are his creations, lovingly and fearfully made, and God would never make anything that isn't good enough.  

What I love about the "heroes" of the Bible is that they are all hopelessly sinful and flawed, yet God uses them anyway.  In this case, Moses just committed murder and ran away in fear.  This just shows us that there is nothing unredeemable in God's eyes if our hearts are willing.  (David is by far my favorite example of this, but that's a post for another Bible study.) And by placing his trust in God, Moses overcomes fear and self-doubt and accomplishes more than he ever believe he was capable or worthy.

We need to remember that our God is so much bigger than who we think we are.  With God, anything is possible for those who believe and trust in Him.

That's mainly what I felt when reading this passage, but I also wanted to point out that I've always loved the verse in which God says "Take your sandals off your feet, for the place where you stand 
is holy ground." It's just such a powerful notion that Moses was standing truly in the presence of God and that the earth under his feet was holy.

I also was very struck by the end of the passage in which God says, "
21 And I will give this people favor in the sight of the Egyptians; and it shall be, when you go, that you shall not go empty-handed. 22 But every woman shall ask of her neighbor, namely, of her who dwells near her house, articles of silver, articles of gold, and clothing; and you shall put them on your sons and on your daughters. So you shall plunder the Egyptians.”  Plundering is traditionally an act of violence and war, and God is basically saying that they will be able to plunder the Egyptians without even trying.  All they have to do is ask, and the Egyptians will simply hand over all their riches.  Surrendering their treasures goes completely against human nature but God is providing for His people, so it will be done.

Last edited by Amanda (1/07/2015 1:03 pm)

1/07/2015 1:12 pm  #23

Theresnoplacelike Home wrote:

Today I am reminded of this verse: “If God is for me who can be against me.” (Romans 8:31). In this life, we may meet many stubborn individuals, like Pharaoh, they may be people with a tremendous amount of power. It can be easy to get frustrated and intimated by man’s laws especially when they go against the goodness of God’s law. When we remember that “the battle belongs to the Lord” (2 Chronicles 20:15). We have nothing to fear: We just need to trust in Him and stay the course. Knowing God is the key to eternal life and happiness on earth

I'll be on Chapter 4 tomorrow, but I just wanted to give this bit a resound AMEN.  Romans 8:31 is one of my favorite verses.  When I feel afraid or weak, it is a go-to.  No one, not even Satan himself, is more powerful than our God.  Jesus has defeated sin and defeated death, so there is nothing left to fear.  As Christians, we can rejoice and live abundantly and without fear because our Redeemer lives.  No matter what comes our way, we have already won through Christ.  I believe that if we go into our battles not just believing but knowing that we will be, and in a sense already are, the victors through Christ, nothing can stand in our way.  

1/07/2015 2:35 pm  #24

This is gold, especiallly 2 and 3. Definitely need to work more on those.

1. Be Impeccable with your word
2. Don't take anything personally
3. Don't make assumptions
4. Always do your best
Theresnoplacelike Home

1/07/2015 9:14 pm  #25

itsjenniferrose wrote:

4. Always do your best
Theresnoplacelike Home

I always have the attitude that usually the way people act is really about themselves and has nothing to do with me.  Even when you cannot see what could be going on with them to make them respond or act that way, the reality is that you can never know exactly what is going on in that person's life, or just their mind or heart.  And we can never directly experience someone else's reality.

1/08/2015 12:05 am  #26

Amanda wrote:

I'll be on Chapter 4 tomorrow, but I just wanted to give this bit a resound AMEN.  Romans 8:31 is one of my favorite verses.  When I feel afraid or weak, it is a go-to.  No one, not even Satan himself, is more powerful than our God.  Jesus has defeated sin and defeated death, so there is nothing left to fear.  As Christians, we can rejoice and live abundantly and without fear because our Redeemer lives.  No matter what comes our way, we have already won through Christ.  I believe that if we go into our battles not just believing but knowing that we will be, and in a sense already are, the victors through Christ, nothing can stand in our way.  

Thanks Amanda, You have such a clarity in your faith, that shows in your words, that radiate from your heart. I am still working on several fears. I consider myself to be a work in progress. And I go along for the ride when I am in some type of spiritual warfare but I don't rest in the victory ahead as you remarked. I get impatient and terrified often wasting precious time--instead of being productive-- talking to a family member or a  friend to get the encouragement I need to go on. God is good! Thanks, for sharing and encouraging  everyone ,with this truth, in  your strength...
Blessings, Theresnoplacelike Home

1/08/2015 12:32 am  #27

TBG wrote:

itsjenniferrose wrote:

4. Always do your best
Theresnoplacelike Home

I always have the attitude that usually the way people act is really about themselves and has nothing to do with me.  Even when you cannot see what could be going on with them to make them respond or act that way, the reality is that you can never know exactly what is going on in that person's life, or just their mind or heart.  And we can never directly experience someone else's reality.

Well said...

1/08/2015 12:39 am  #28

Amanda wrote:

That's mainly what I felt when reading this passage, but I also wanted to point out that I've always loved the verse in which God says "Take your sandals off your feet, for the place where you stand is holy ground." It's just such a powerful notion that Moses was standing truly in the presence of God and that the earth under his feet was holy.

I love this verse too!

1/08/2015 12:59 am  #29

Exodus 3-4

What a loaded couple of chapters. Two things stand out to me. One, it's a great example of how God can use ANYONE with all flaws and all and still use he/she for good and do great things. We have to put our ability in the hands of God as he will help us do things we never thought we could do. It's all about Trust.

Two, the fierceness of the lord at this time. He wasn't playing any games. God was about to strike Moses down due to his lack of  confidence in what God could do through him. Powerful stuff.

1/08/2015 3:01 am  #30

S= Ex 4:11 And the Lord said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? Or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? Have not I the Lord?

A=God reminds Moses who made him the way he is.

O=God reminds me in this passage that He allows and is control of all things. Nothing is, that He has not allowed. What peace I find in knowing that He is control of all things. Everything in life if allowed by us is for His glory. I am not my own I am His. He owns me and desires me to surrender all to Him. He wants me to become Christlike and will use anything and everything to strip away that which hinders. God wants me to surrender myself to His ways.

K= Oh Father you know how much I have refused to let You in and have Your way, forgive me for my resistant mind and heart. I know that You want what is best for me, for what is pleasing in Your sight. Help me Lord to daily die to myself and take up my cross so I can be less of me and more of You. in Jesus Name Amen. P.S. Lord thank you for your continual patience with me.

Board footera