Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/12/2015 11:25 am  #1

Weekly Discussion: Exodus Chapters 6-10 by TBG

Sorry Ladies, could not get internet access yesterday.

This Weeks Reading Plan

This is the thread in which to share your insights.

Join in below.  Hit the "Post Reply" button at the bottom of this post and start sharing.  You can SOAK the Key Verse, SOAK a verse of your choosing, answer any of the discussion questions, or just generally share your insights and thoughts.

Book of Exodus Introduction
[url=https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=1d0bf0ac46383c80&id=1D0BF0AC46383C80%21125&ithint=file,mp3&authkey=%21AFs6I0oLxRHb5Gc]Podcast[/url] |  Written post

Monday
Reading: Exodus 6
Optional GMG Discussion Question:
The Children of Israel were in bondage and discouraged. Yet, God was there and planning a way. When was a time that you were either in bondage to sin - or in a season of discouragement and God grought you through?

Tuesday
Reading: Exodus 7
The Egyptians worshiped the Nile river.  But, God turned something sweet into something bitter.  What has God done to get your attention about an idol in your life, to get your attention back on Him?

Wednesday
Reading: Exodus 8
Instead of using creatures of destruction, God used small creaures like frogs and lice to plague Israel.  The same is true in our hearts.  It is often the small things that bring us down daily.  What is an area ofyour life that seems small that needs to be handed back over to God.

Thursday
Reading: Exodus 9
With each plague, we see the heart of Pharaoh is hardened.  Sin and pride harden our own hearts.  When we refuse to look to God, but contineu to want to do things our way.  What is an area os life that you need to let go and give to God?

Friday
Reading: Exodus 10
A plague of darkness came upon Egypt but Israel had light.  The same is true in our world today.  The world is full of darkness and we have light.  The difference is we can share our light with others.  How will you share the light that God had given you today?

1/12/2015 11:40 am  #2

Re: Weekly Discussion: Exodus Chapters 6-10 by TBG

Chapter 6

Scripture
Exodus 6:9 - Moses spoke thus to the people of Israel, but they did not listen to Moses because of their broken spirit and harsh slavery.

Wow, really speaks to me. Yes, sometimes we are so brokenhearted and feel like we are in bondage to our circumstances that it is hard to want to even listen to God.  We have completely lost heart and cannot even accept and trust God's promises or His goodness.

Reminds me of the parable of the seeds in Matthew 13.  We accept the gospel with joy, but when the thorns of the world come up around us, does it choke out our faith?

1/12/2015 9:33 pm  #3

Exodus, Chapter 6

In chapter 5, of Exodus, Moses, was so bold to ask the question to God that the Israelites had asked him. They wanted to know why things have gotten worse—more brick must be made with no straw. Now they are in even more pain and suffering.

God gave Moses a clear answer,” I am the Lord; I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, I will rescue them from your bondage…” Exodus 6: 6
So far things are going great! God will redeem them from Pharaoh. So it’s time to celebrate right?

Not exactly …the Israelites were so hurt and broken that they were giving up. Their hope was growing dim…just look at their response after Moses had told them the good news.

“So Moses spoke thus to the children of Israel but they did not heed Moses. Because of anguish of spirit and cruel bondage “ (Exodus 6:9).

Looking at this picture, it reminds me of Satan and how he has so many deceived in bondage and chained in various addictions and sin. Today we are no longer captive and enslaved under the hand of Pharaoh but so many of us (me included) are captive and enslaved under the hand of Satan. Looking back at history should help us all persevere when “the going gets tough.” We need to tell ourselves, “the tough get going.”

Satan will make it hard for us to win our battles against deception, addiction, and just plain evil. God wants to free us but it’s not so easy as just a quick prayer or a few weeks of trying. It can take months, years, before the victory is won.

Matthew 17:21 gives us a more clear illustration.

We are told a story of a boy that was cursed with a demon. Even, the disciples were unable to cure the boy of this demonic spirit. However, Jesus was…and the disciples wanted to know why? Jesus response was, However, this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting.”

Lord, this lesson from the Israelites is so needed to help free us today. We are in a spiritual warfare daily. When things are going in the right directions, sometimes, it has to get worse first because Satan is so mad and will do everything in his power to keep us trapped.

Ephesians 6:12 tells us:

For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly [i]places.”[/i]

As we walk through life it can be easy to get mad at people: Your boss, friends, spouse, neighbor, family member, etc.

But it is important “to remember who the real enemy is,” it is not your friend, boss, co-worker, or spouse but it is the “hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.” Satan wants us to believe gossip, lies, slander, anything that will tear us against each other. We need to follow God’s guidelines when he tells us how to fight the enemy. We may not have a staff like Moses but we have good ammunition. The word which God says is like a sword.
Hebrews 4:12 tells us:

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.”

Furthermore, we are told to love are enemies and do good to those that would spitefully use us,

If your enemy is hungry, give him bread to eat;
And if he is thirsty, give him water to drink;
For so you will heap coals of fire on his head,
And the Lord will reward you. (Proverbs 25:21-23)

What stands out to me is the part that says, “You will help coals of fire on their head.” What this means is that we will melt their anger; we can help them see clearly that we are not their enemy either and will bring the two together to be united as friends. God desire is for us to love one another. Isn’t that the law that is most important? That we should “love our neighbor as ourselves.”

If you are struggling with any spiritual warfare, addiction, or hostility in a relationship with another person. I would encourage you today to keep going because the victory is won; Jesus tells us “He has overcome the world.”   

“These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world” ( John 16:33) .

I’m not sure what tomorrow may bring, but I hope that God can help me have faith through the trials in life. Lord, would you open my eyes to see where I am trapped and need help to overcome sin and will you bring the wisdom, friendships, and correction I need to stay the course. In Jesus Name Amen

Theresnoplacelike Home

1/13/2015 12:24 am  #4

In Ex 7 It says that God harden the heart of Pharaoh so that the Egyptian people would know that God is the Lord. It amazes me that God wants us rebelious people to know Him. And He will use what ever He sees fit to get peoples attention. What a God we serve. 

1/13/2015 3:18 am  #5

Exodus 6

S - So Moses told the people of Israel what the LORD had said, but they refused to listen anymore. They had become too discouraged by the brutality of their slavery. (‭Exodus‬ ‭6‬:‭9‬ NLT)

O- discouragement was all around. The people of Israel were so downtrodden they just can't entertain what Moses was saying. I'm sure they were think why is God saving is now after all this time? When you're under that type of slavery , mentally and physically, how can anyone think straight, yet alone have any hope.  Which in turn, also frustrated Moses.

A- so many of us stop listening because we've been in slavery too long to even be rescued. Whether it's addiction, a way of thinking, bad choices, or simply in a bad situation for a long period of time.  We have a hard time believing not only miracles, but God's promises.

K- lord help us to keep our hearts and minds open to what you have to say even when we feel discouraged, and frustrated. Help us to fight through the doubt that you won't come save us. In jesus name, amen.

1/13/2015 3:24 am  #6

Exodus 7

Then the LORD said to Moses, “Pay close attention to this. I will make you seem like God to Pharaoh, and your brother, Aaron, will be your prophet. (‭Exodus‬ ‭7‬:‭1‬ NLT)

I love this scripture. God gives both Moses and Aaron the confidence and power to be perceived as God to effect change. How powerful is this?! I believe God can do great ad memorable things through us if we listen and let him.

Let go, let God.

1/13/2015 9:44 am  #7

Exodus, Chapter 7

But Pharaoh also called the wise men and the sorcerer’s so the magicians of Egypt they also did in the like manner with their enchantments.  For every man threw down their rods and, and they became serpents. But Aaron’s rod swallowed up their rods.” Exodus 7: 13

I think that it was bold for the magicians to want to challenge Moses snake by making a snake of their own. When Moses snake ate the Egyptians snake one would think that at this point Pharaoh would be humbled to know that there is a greater power than his own.

Often at work, or in our families, we may think we have the best idea. We are sure we are the best cook, sewer, mathematician, mechanic, teacher… you fill in the blank. And when someone else wipes us out it can be humbling. This will happen to all of us because there is always someone smarter, prettier, more articulate, graceful, purposeful, business savvy, etc.

However, when we are taken by surprise, how does our heart respond? Is it repentant, observant, maybe curious, or able to take on an attitude that’s positive? For example, that’s great that you are such an expert in your field and I can learn from you.

Or are you stubborn and bull headed thinking, that was not important. I am still greater and more powerful than you. There is a time and place for healthy competition but then there is an awful sting that comes from pride and jealous

It’s hard to be humble but quake frankly it is the safest place to be. The bible has a lot to say about pride.

Proverbs 16:18 tells us:
Pride goes before destruction,
And a haughty spirit before a fall”

Additionally in 1 Peter 5:5:
“God resists the proud
But gives grace to the humble. 

Jesus  your word tells us that our “heart is deceitful above all things,
And desperately wicked;”( Jeremiah 17:9). My prayer is that you would purify my heart. Even though the process will bring pain. Likewise, Lord, help me to bear more fruit. I know that your word says that you cut off the branches in me that bear no fruit, but you prune ever branch that does bear fruit so it can be even more fruitful. (John 15:2)

Lord as I have decided to think upon the word balance and as I walk through this New Year, please help me to use my time wisely; and guide the direction that I should be placing the most emphasize on! In Jesus Name, Amen

1/15/2015 3:58 am  #8

I find it amazing that God spared  Israel most of these plauges. Its amazing how in my life I'm spared the desperate hoplessness I know other non-christains feel. I must surrender to His ways and when I do OH what peace I feel. I'm so grateful for His peace. At the moment I feel real sick with a bad flu but I know that He is with me. I have peace in the storm because He calms the waves. Thank you Lord.

1/15/2015 4:16 pm  #9

I see in all the plagues, that you think the Egyptians would eventually beleive.  Yet, people do have hard hearts.  No matter what type of miracle God shows, people do not believe because they choose not to believe.  Romans tells us this, that the truth of God is evident yet people choose not to serve Him because they would rather serve themselves.

It is important as believers to not let this pass unexamined and to make certain that we are not choosing to ignore the leading of the Holy Spirit or choosing to ignore God's laws and will because we would rather server ourselves and meet our own needs.

1/20/2015 10:58 am  #10

Chapter 7
S: Exodus 7:22 Then the magicians of Egypt did so with their enchantments; and Pharaoh's heart grew hard, and he did not heed them, as the Lord had said.

O: My Bible notes observed that if they had real power they could have reversed God’s curse.  That is what was needed.  This to me shows that they were not mightier than God.  They just used either tricks or witchcraft to do a copycat response.  However, the copycat response was enough to give Pharaoh an excuse to not submit to God and to question God’s Lordship.

A: We see this in our society.  People look for excuses not to give God honor and Lordship because we say that He is not really all powerful because men can do greater or man can do the same or be self sufficient, or that science tells us all that we need to know.

Board footera