Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/18/2015 8:07 pm  #1

Weekly Discussion: Exodus Chapters 11-15

I have been traveling and have had spotty internet access.  But, I love the discussion and interaction.
These next few passages deal with the passover.  Some of the chapter insights discuss how Passover relates to us as believers and to our salvation through Christ.

Monday
Reading: Exodus 11
Chapter Insight:  Podcast | Written post
Key Verse: Exodus 11:3, 11:9-10

Optional Discussion Question from Chapter Insights:
Reflect on if you need to get serious about surrendering your life, and will to God and giving Him the authority in your life .  For private reflection, is there an area where you are ignoring the conviction of the Holy Spirit?
Optional GMG Discussion Question:
God’s protection and persistence for His people continues throughout the ages. How have you seen God protect and pursue you throughout your life?

Tuesday
Reading: Exodus 12
Key Verse: Exodus 12:27-28, 12:31-32

Compare and contrast how the people of Israel respond in verses 27-28 with the people's earlier responses.
Pharaoh rejected God’s authority in his life yet still wants a blessing.  How do we see this play out in our society?
God provided for His people’s future in many ways, including allowing the Egyptians to lend gold, jewels, and raiment to them. In what mysterious ways have you been given precious provision from God’s hand?

Wednesday
Reading: Exodus 13
Key Verse: 13:17,  13:21-22

Note how important it was to take time to actively remember God’s work and salvation, and to share God’s work and faithfulness with the children.  How can we apply this to our lives?
The Israelites have a visual reminder that God was always with them. We don’t have a visual reminder of God being with us, so we must pay attention to the Holy Spirit moving in our hearts and other methods in which God works. Share an instance in your life when God was with you though you couldn’t see Him.

Thursday
Reading: Exodus 14
Chapter Insight:  Podcast| Written post
Key Verses: 14:13-14, 14:31

How do we respond when our back is up against the wall?  Do we really trust that God can deliver us? What does that deliverance look like?  Does it mean we will always get physical deliverance in this world? Or does it mean God will deliver us according to His will, for His purpose in our lives and the next life?  Colossians 3

At times God allows our faith to be tried in order for us to grow, just like when the Israelites were being pursued by the Egyptians. They couldn’t see the miracle that lay ahead. What kind of miracle had you been unable to see in the midst of a trial in your life?

Friday
Reading: Exodus 15
After the miracle at the Red Sea, the Israelites sang a song of praise to God. Share a praise to the Lord for a recent work He’s done in your life.

Last edited by TBG (1/20/2015 11:49 am)

1/19/2015 1:44 am  #2

Re: Weekly Discussion: Exodus Chapters 11-15

Exodus 11

S - But among the Israelites it will be so peaceful that not even a dog will bark. Then you will know that the LORD makes a distinction between the Egyptians and the Israelites. (‭Exodus‬ ‭11‬:‭7‬ NLT)

O - can you imagine being an Israelite and seeing the wrath of God all round you while the Egyptians suffer? They must have felt a sense of anxiousness and fear, yet God brought peace to them.  They were probably finally starting to truly see Gods protection in their lives and how much He cares after feeling abandoned.

A - we should know and believe in our hearts we will be taken cared of, protected and at peace within our lives no matter what things look like. Peace should be with all Christians and be the visible distinction between believers and non-believers. 

K - God, help us to have faith in your provision and protection and be an example of peace, as well as accept peace in our lives no matter what is going on around us.

1/19/2015 4:27 am  #3

S-Ex 10:2-3 Speak now in the ears of the people, and let every man borrow of his neighbour, and every woman of her neighbour, jewels of silver and jewels of gold. And the Lord gave people favour in the sight of the Egyptians. Moreover the man Moses was very great in the land of Egypt, in the sight of Pharaoh's servants, and in the sight of the people.

A- God provided wages for the time of slavery, (which later on the silly Israelites make  a statue of a cow from). God moves the Eygptians hearts to honour and regard the man who is the mouth piece  of He who has brought so much destruction on them.

O- God cares for His chosen. He has chosen me and cares for me. The same God

K - Lord how many times have I spat in your face to satisfy my flesh, but You keep calling me to follow You. You are as amazing yesterday, today and forever. Continue to have your way in my life. Continue to bend and shape me in to someone who glorifies You alone. In Jesus Name Amen.

1/20/2015 10:53 am  #4

itsjenniferrose wrote:

K - God, help us to have faith in your provision and protection and be an example of peace, as well as accept peace in our lives no matter what is going on around us.

Such a key point to "accept peace in our lives."  Sometimes we just don't accept God's peace.

And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful.Colossians 3:15

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. John 14:27

1/20/2015 10:56 am  #5

Chapter 11

S: Exodus 11:7 But against any of the children of Israel shall not a dog move his tongue, against man or beast: that ye may know how that the LORD doth put a difference between the Egyptians and Israel.

O: God is making clear His plan to redeem Israel.

A: Even in difficult times, we need to be certain of God’s plan to spiritually deliver us.  I say spiritually deliver us because our deliverance will not always come in this world.

2 Corinthians 4:16 -18 Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.

1/20/2015 11:09 am  #6

Chapter 12

S: Exodus 12:23 For the Lord will pass through to strike the Egyptians; and when He sees the blood on the lintel and on the two doorposts, the Lord will pass over the door and not allow the destroyer to come into your houses to strike you.

A: It is blood of Christ that allows the wrath of God to pass over us.  Christ was the lamb sacrificed for our sin.

S: Exodus 12:38 A mixed multitude went up with them also, and flocks and herds--a great deal of livestock.

A: Although the people of Israel were the chosen people, even in the Old Testament those who were willing to follow God were offered salvation.

1/20/2015 10:13 pm  #7

TBG wrote:

Chapter 11

A: Even in difficult times, we need to be certain of God’s plan to spiritually deliver us.  I say spiritually deliver us because our deliverance will not always come in this world.

2 Corinthians 4:16 -18 Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.

I love that you said "spiritually" delivers us. That's so important for me. I know 2 Corinthians 4:16-18, but sometimes I start to believe a verse in my head, but not my heart. And I think I'm believing, but deep down I am frustrated because I don't see or feel the deliverance. 

Father, I pray that we do not become so weary that we lose faith. That we remember your word and hold it in our hearts, not just our heads.

1/20/2015 10:33 pm  #8

Exodus 12 (NIV)

40 Now the length of time the Israelite people lived in Egypt[b] was 430 years. 41 At the end of the 430 years, to the very day, all the Lord’s divisions left Egypt.

I'm not sure I can imagine waiting over 400 years for God to deliver me or my family. I often think to myself how the Israelites had such little faith after seeing all that God had done for them over the years. But, honestly, I think I'd probably be the same. 430 years is an awful long time. I sometimes I am fighting doubts after waiting just one year!

Dear father please help us to be mindful that your time is not our time. Help us continue to trust you no matter how long it takes for us to realize deliverance. And help us to pass along the faith to our loved ones, just as the Israelites did, so that when deliverance comes everyone will know it was YOU.

1/20/2015 10:43 pm  #9

Exodus 12 (NIV)

35 The Israelites did as Moses instructed and asked the Egyptians for articles of silver and gold and for clothing. 36 The Lord had made the Egyptians favorably disposed toward the people, and they gave them what they asked for; so they plundered the Egyptians.

Verses 35 and 36 almost makes my mouth drop open! Who would have thought the Egyptians would have freely given the Israelites silver, gold and clothing. Things God knew they would need. I wonder if they were worried about how God would provide for them as they left on their journey. I know God has done that for me. I once had a difficult supervisor and when I left her school I thought she'd probably give me negative references. As it turned out, she told everyone what a great educator I am!  

Lord I pray that we stay hopeful, knowing that You will provide for us.

Last edited by MitziHubbard (1/21/2015 12:13 am)

1/21/2015 5:18 am  #10

There are times when I think I can't do this homeschooling thing. But I look back on six years, made it. I know this is not me it can only be Him.

Board footera