Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/11/2015 8:51 pm  #21

Re: Matthew Discussion

Matthew 24:  “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock."

Mediatating on this verse. I believe that Faith is so important in times of trials and tribulations. It is essential to know that: "If God is for us who can be against us..." ( Romans). I think 2014 was a year of storms and I am beginning to see the rainbow in the clouds. The maker of the universe knows my name and he knows what's best.

I have been blessed in this bible study. Making a short goal to read one chapter daily I believe has really strengthened my faith. I am hoping to make more wise choices as 2015 unfolds. Also so thankful to God who helped protect me in a potentially disasters situation at work. I am amazed at how he can use others to support us in times of distress. I also have been having a run in with the flu. But I am also thankful that by the grace of God I have been able to complete the work load that has been required for me. Here today with a heart of Thanksgiving knowing that I am in a much better situation than 2014...yet realizing the storms will continue to come because God loves me all that much to grow my faith so I too can walk on water...

I often read a blog called: God Sized Dreams...and they have adopeted the song, "Oceans" as apart of their theme...Sharing this website and song with you all today hoping it may bless you...http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+oceans&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=CB44B7DC1B8E3C5006D3CB44B7DC1B8E3C5006D3

Theresnoplacelike Home

3/12/2015 6:54 am  #22

Sorry Ladies, jumping around a bit to pick up from last week.

Matthew 5

(I hope everyone had the opportunity to look at Good Morning Girls post last Friday on this chapter.)

Scripture
5 "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
6 "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.

Observation
From the Strong’s concordance it says about meekness:
Meek - gentleness of spirit
Meekness toward God is that disposition of spirit in which we accept His dealings with us as good, and therefore without disputing or resisting

Application
These stood out to me because I think these are areas of continual growth.
Regarding verse 6, I think this is true, that when I lack satisfaction it is because I am not seeking the right things from which to find satisfaction. If my deepest and most sincere desire is that I long for the righteousness of God more than anything else, I will find satisfaction in Christ. But, it I long for other things, I may find that they will never fully satisfy.

Scripture
5:17 "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.
5:20 For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

Observation
Jesus came to fulfill the purpose of the law which was internal holiness. The purpose was not external acts of holiness without sincere hearts, but inward change, an inward attitude of holiness.

Application
As believers, God wants us to have genuine internal transformation, not external compliance.

3/12/2015 7:18 am  #23

itsjenniferrose wrote:

Matthew 5

This is a loaed chapter, but I find it interesting what Jesus says about Anger. It's hard for me to wrap my mind around that even if I'm angry with someone, I'm subject to judgement. Anger is a natural emotion and if it isn't relased can get be very ugly.  I understand acting on Anger being subject to judegment.  But the former is a hard pill to swallow. 

I know this is a heavy chapter. I think Jesus was trying to point out to them that the purpose of the law was not just to pretend on outside that you are holy by acting good. But God was wanting them to have hearts that were pure in attitue and intention. 

I think the purpose for us in reading it, is not that we are expected to suddenly live up to these standards of perfection. This is to show us the standard and to highlight that the true purpose of God's New Covenant with us is not to engage in external relgious practices but to have a renewed heart.

And we have to rely on God to make those changes in our hearts, we can never reach these levels of perfection within ourselves.

Hebrews 10:16 "This is the covenant I will make with them after that time, says the Lord. I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds."
John 4:23 Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks.

Regarding anger. Yes, that has been a really long, long learned lesson. I have a high justice personality and I get really upset if I feel people are being unfair to me. So, I have spent so much time on this.

So my thoughts are, it is OK to be angry. Jesus was angry at the money changers in the temple. The Bible says be angry and don't sin Ephesians 4:26. So, when is it OK to be angry.

So, the catch is when we are angry because our own rights have been violated, it shows that we are focused on ourselves, our wants, our goals, our desires. Jesus was angry when God was being dishonored or the the helpless were being oppressed. We get angry when we are being disrespected.

It is OK to speak up for yourself. Paul did when he felt his trial was not fair; you don't have to be a floor mat. But if we are getting angry it is because we don't understand that this world is unfair and my ultimate concern is not for getting my rights but to do God's work and to be used by Him.  (again I can use the rights given me to speak up for myself but speaking up and getting angry and having the wrong attitude I should not)

I need to be less concerned about elevating myself and demanding respect, and more concerned about the soul of the other person and being used by God to work in the lives of others. Getting angry is only going to destroy the work that God wants to do in and through me and destroy my witness and usefulness for the kingdom. So, the issue is not to hold the anger in, but not to allow certain circumstances to generate feelings of anger in us because we have a renewed perspective of what we value and what we are trying to accomplish.

So, these were my two memory verses that I actually had to have pasted to my desk at work for sadly years to get this through my thick head:

Philippians 2:3 Do nothing from selfishness or vain conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others.

James 1:19-20 Everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; for the anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God.

What do we hope to accomplish in our anger? It is sure is not going to bring forth righteousness in ourselves or in the other person.

3/13/2015 8:27 am  #24

Theresnoplacelike Home wrote:

Matthew 24:  “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock."

Mediatating on this verse. I believe that Faith is so important in times of trials and tribulations. It is essential to know that: "If God is for us who can be against us..." ( Romans). I think 2014 was a year of storms and I am beginning to see the rainbow in the clouds. The maker of the universe knows my name and he knows what's best.

I have been blessed in this bible study. Making a short goal to read one chapter daily I believe has really strengthened my faith. I am hoping to make more wise choices as 2015 unfolds. Also so thankful to God who helped protect me in a potentially disasters situation at work. I am amazed at how he can use others to support us in times of distress. I also have been having a run in with the flu. But I am also thankful that by the grace of God I have been able to complete the work load that has been required for me. Here today with a heart of Thanksgiving knowing that I am in a much better situation than 2014...yet realizing the storms will continue to come because God loves me all that much to grow my faith so I too can walk on water...

I often read a blog called: God Sized Dreams...and they have adopeted the song, "Oceans" as apart of their theme...Sharing this website and song with you all today hoping it may bless you...http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+oceans&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=CB44B7DC1B8E3C5006D3CB44B7DC1B8E3C5006D3

Theresnoplacelike Home

So sorry to hear you have had the flu. It really seems to be going around. I really like this reading one chapter a day also, it really lets you "SOAK" in the scripture. Seriously. By focusing on only one chapter you can't just skip over but have to ponder what that passage is really saying. I am seeing so many things I have never seen before.

I love that video and that song. It is very encouraging. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by TBG (3/13/2015 8:28 am)

3/13/2015 8:30 am  #25

Matthew 9
Scripture
13'I desire mercy, and not sacrifice.' For I came not to call the righteous, but sinners."

Application
I had to ponder this for a while. It is from Hosea 6:6 6 For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings.

The sacrifices were what very devout people would do to carefully follow the law. I think Jesus is trying to say is that He wants us to have a heart for people and to care about people, and to care about their salvation and that this is more important to him than religious exercises.

Scripture
37 Then he said to his disciples, "The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few;
38 therefore pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest."

That is my prayer for my life and for all of us in the body of Christ that we would examine our priorities and realize that the harvest is so plentiful especially in today’s society. Are we going to be God’s laborers and be willing to bring in His harvest? Very convicting.

3/14/2015 3:44 am  #26

Matthew 7

Scripture
“Don’t waste what is holy on people who are unholy. Don’t throw your pearls to pigs! They will trample the pearls, then turn and attack you. (‭Matthew‬ ‭7‬:‭6‬ NLT)

Application
Don't give of your heart and soul to people who are not worthy. For those who don't see your value, take for granted what you're offering.  God tells us to "guard your hearts" Proverbs 4:23

Scripture
“Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. (‭Matthew‬ ‭7‬:‭8‬ NLT)

Application
Seek God...don't be afraid to ask for what you want in life, he will give you the desires of your heart In every area of your life.

Scripture
“Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock. Though the rain comes in torrents and the floodwaters rise and the winds beat against that house, it won’t collapse because it is built on bedrock. (‭Matthew‬ ‭7‬:‭24-25‬ NLT)

Application
Building a life on his teachings and foundations gives me Teflon strength when I'm up against Life's toughest battles.

3/14/2015 3:49 am  #27

Thanks this is super helpful! That James verse is one of my faves .

TBG wrote:

itsjenniferrose wrote:

Matthew 5

This is a loaed chapter, but I find it interesting what Jesus says about Anger. It's hard for me to wrap my mind around that even if I'm angry with someone, I'm subject to judgement. Anger is a natural emotion and if it isn't relased can get be very ugly.  I understand acting on Anger being subject to judegment.  But the former is a hard pill to swallow. 

I know this is a heavy chapter. I think Jesus was trying to point out to them that the purpose of the law was not just to pretend on outside that you are holy by acting good. But God was wanting them to have hearts that were pure in attitue and intention. 

I think the purpose for us in reading it, is not that we are expected to suddenly live up to these standards of perfection. This is to show us the standard and to highlight that the true purpose of God's New Covenant with us is not to engage in external relgious practices but to have a renewed heart.

And we have to rely on God to make those changes in our hearts, we can never reach these levels of perfection within ourselves.

Hebrews 10:16 "This is the covenant I will make with them after that time, says the Lord. I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds."
John 4:23 Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks.

Regarding anger. Yes, that has been a really long, long learned lesson. I have a high justice personality and I get really upset if I feel people are being unfair to me. So, I have spent so much time on this.

So my thoughts are, it is OK to be angry. Jesus was angry at the money changers in the temple. The Bible says be angry and don't sin Ephesians 4:26. So, when is it OK to be angry.

So, the catch is when we are angry because our own rights have been violated, it shows that we are focused on ourselves, our wants, our goals, our desires. Jesus was angry when God was being dishonored or the the helpless were being oppressed. We get angry when we are being disrespected.

It is OK to speak up for yourself. Paul did when he felt his trial was not fair; you don't have to be a floor mat. But if we are getting angry it is because we don't understand that this world is unfair and my ultimate concern is not for getting my rights but to do God's work and to be used by Him.  (again I can use the rights given me to speak up for myself but speaking up and getting angry and having the wrong attitude I should not)

I need to be less concerned about elevating myself and demanding respect, and more concerned about the soul of the other person and being used by God to work in the lives of others. Getting angry is only going to destroy the work that God wants to do in and through me and destroy my witness and usefulness for the kingdom. So, the issue is not to hold the anger in, but not to allow certain circumstances to generate feelings of anger in us because we have a renewed perspective of what we value and what we are trying to accomplish.

So, these were my two memory verses that I actually had to have pasted to my desk at work for sadly years to get this through my thick head:

Philippians 2:3 Do nothing from selfishness or vain conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others.

James 1:19-20 Everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; for the anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God.

What do we hope to accomplish in our anger? It is sure is not going to bring forth righteousness in ourselves or in the other person.

3/15/2015 7:22 pm  #28

This week's reading plan, discussion questions, and podcast link.
http://womenintheword.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=74

3/16/2015 3:59 pm  #29

Matthew 11: 4:
“Jesus answered and said to them, “Go and tell John the things which you hear and see: 5 The blind see and the lame walk; the lepers are cleansed and the deaf hear; the dead are raised up and the poor have the gospel preached to them.”

It is amazing that God has saved us from our debt of sin by dying on the cross. But what is so cool is that he wants to save us from our sickness right now too. Before my grandfather passed away he said “heaven is on earth, now.” Often, we can get sidetracked, discouraged, and even depressed by the state of poverty, sickness, and violence we see every day on the news. 

God’s desire is not only to save the sinner-- But to heal as well. Every time someone overcomes cancer or any other sickness that they are battling we need to praise God. Because it is He who heals us. It is He who calls us by name.  I don’t know the answers to why people suffer…and some are healed…? But I know that I have chosen to trust God.

Psalm 3:5
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
6 In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct your paths.”

The book of Job strengthens me to always remember that,

” we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places we do not battle against flesh and blood but against powers and host of wickedness.”  ( Roman 6:12)

It is often said that, “God will never give us more than we can bear.” My thoughts are those that are sick are strong enough to handle it; and God is using that unhealed sickness in a way that we could never know or explain.

There is a bigger battle behind the scenes and my prayer is that God would open my eyes because I am blind. I am blind to who the true enemy is each and every day as I get upset by co-workers or family member. Lord, open my eyes!!

And use me because I want to be a part of your plans on earth as it is in heaven.

Theresnoplacelike Home

3/16/2015 8:28 pm  #30

Theresnoplacelike Home wrote:

God’s desire is not only to save the sinner-- But to heal as well. Every time someone overcomes cancer or any other sickness that they are battling we need to praise God. Because it is He who heals us. It is He who calls us by name. I don’t know the answers to why people suffer…and some are healed…? But I know that I have chosen to trust God.

There is a bigger battle behind the scenes and my prayer is that God would open my eyes because I am blind. I am blind to who the true enemy is each and every day as I get upset by co-workers or family member. Lord, open my eyes!!

Moving post, Theresnoplacelike Home. We don't know what the future holds, but we know who holds the future.

Matthew 11

Scripture 11:11
Truly, I say to you, among those born of women there has arisen no one greater than John the Baptist. Yet the one who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

Observation
No one greater ever, in the history of the world to that point, not Moses, not Abraham, Elijah, not even Mary. No one. Yet the least of the new covenant believers will be greater.

Application
I don’t think this is because we are better people or more godly than John. I think it is because we actually have God living inside us, we have the Holy Spirit indwelling us and guiding us. So, it is not  external obedience through the weakness of human flesh but the control of the living God from the inside out.

Scripture 11:13-14
For all the Prophets and the Law prophesied until John, and if you are willing to accept it, he is Elijah who is to come.

Observation
This is an important verse because the old testament prophesies said that Elijah would herald the Messiah, the Christ. So, here Jesus was clearly indicating that He was the Christ and that this prophesy had been fulfilled. Malachi 4:5 5 "See, I will send you the prophet Elijah before that great and dreadful day of the LORD comes.

Scripture 11:16-17
"But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the marketplaces and calling to their playmates, "'We played the flute for you, and you did not dance; we sang a dirge, and you did not mourn.'

Observation
No matter what the people were going to reject God’s Word. They did not want to believe and were just looking for excuses. This is why He condemns the cities so strongly. We see this now also. People always look for an excuse to reject the truth. The next verses explain why.

Scripture 11:25
At that time Jesus declared, "I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to little children;

Observation
People cannot see the truth and do not accept the truth because of their pride. They don’t want a gospel that says they are not good in themselves, that they need to repent and turn from how they live their life, that they need Jesus to depend on.

Scripture 11:27
All things have been handed over to me by my Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.

Observation
This shows that there is only one way to God and that is through Christ. All paths do not lead to God.

Board footera