Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/06/2015 3:41 pm  #71

Re: Matthew Discussion

Matthew 25

Scripture 25:1-13

The Parable of the Ten Virgins

Observation
Interesting: it seems the unprepared virgins believed that the bridegroom was coming and were waiting for him, but they did not prepare.

Application
I wonder how many people give intellectual assent to the truth of the gospel, and believe in the truth and in Jesus and that He is coming again, but still don’t actually choose to surrender their life, to submit to Him, and to accept Him as their Lord and Savior. Maybe they think they will have time later after doing what they want. Or, maybe they are just not willing to give up the things they want in life.

Scripture 25:14-30
Parable of Talents

Observation
It is interesting that he said he was afraid. Was he afraid of failing or afraid of not being good enough? Or was this just a smoke screen. Because the master responded that he was lazy. It gives the impression that he was too lazy to be bothered to even put it in the bank.

My bible notes point out that the master did not condemn him for failing, but called him wicked because he did not even try to fulfill his master’s work.

Are we afraid we can’t accomplish God’s plans, afraid of messing up, so we just do nothing? Or do we refuse to God’s work because we just can’t be bothered or because he are resentful that we have so little. Why bother?

It also notes that the one with 2 talents received the same commendation as the one who received 5 talents. This implies that it is not how much we accomplish, or how much we have, but what we do with it.

John MacArthur notes that this parable points us to the fact that a faithful person should have fruit. The servant with one talent had no fruit and so exposed as really being a hypocrite. If we really are faithful we will have fruit. If there is no fruit then we are not genuinely faithful.

It is also interesting to see that we want more authority, success or responsibility, but we are not even serving God with what He has already given us. Why should He give us more if we can’t even use our current blessings and resources to further His kingdom? Then we won’t use the more either, we just want for ourselves for our own pleasure.

Scripture 25:31-46
Sheep goats

They are condemned not for doing wrong, but for not doing good. How strongly God feels about us, just not living a life of personal holiness and commitment to God, but actively serving and helping the least of these and actively doing good.

4/06/2015 9:18 pm  #72

TBG wrote:

Are we afraid we can’t accomplish God’s plans, afraid of messing up, so we just do nothing? Or do we refuse to God’s work because we just can’t be bothered or because he are resentful that we have so little. Why bother?

Scripture 25:31-46
Sheep goats

They are condemned not for doing wrong, but for not doing good. How strongly God feels about us, just not living a life of personal holiness and commitment to God, but actively serving and helping the least of these and actively doing good.

Both great points and thoughts to consider throughout the day. A good reminder that "they were condemened not for doing wrong but for not doing good. A very powerful truth.

4/07/2015 12:10 am  #73

Matthew 25

“The master was furious. ‘That’s a terrible way to live! It’s criminal to live cautiously like that! If you knew I was after the best, why did you do less than the least? The least you could have done would have been to invest the sum with the bankers, where at least I would have gotten a little interest.

“‘Take the thousand and give it to the one who risked the most. And get rid of this “play-it-safe” who won’t go out on a limb. Throw him out into utter darkness.’ (‭Matthew‬ ‭25‬:‭26-30‬ MSG)

God doesn't like when we play it safe, he wants us to take risks as he gives us the grace, confidence and peace to do so. We need to walk in that revelation everyday!!

4/07/2015 8:45 am  #74

Matthew 26

Scripture 26:75
And Peter remembered the saying of Jesus, "Before the rooster crows, you will deny me three times." And he went out and wept bitterly.

The 3-minute devotional today made an excellent point. If we think we would never do what Peter did and certainly would not do what Judas did, consider that we deny and betray Jesus each time we knowingly sin, including our thoughts. We betray Jesus and deny the Holy Spirit.

However, what I saw when I read it is that no matter what we do, we can never go too far or sin too much to lose God’s love and forgiveness. In spite of what Peter did, Jesus restored him and He restored him to a position of leadership in the early church and used him greatly for the cause of the kingdom of God. There was much fruit in the life of Peter.

Lamentations 3:22-23
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.

An endless supply of love and mercy, that is constant and steadfast. Praise God for His steadfast mery and love that we could never deserve on our own. Praise God for His great and tender love for us, sinners. It brings tears to my eyes to think of it.

4/08/2015 1:25 am  #75

Matthew 26

When he came back to his disciples, he found them sound asleep. He said to Peter, “Can’t you stick it out with me a single hour? Stay alert; be in prayer so you don’t wander into temptation without even knowing you’re in danger. There is a part of you that is eager, ready for anything in God. But there’s another part that’s as lazy as an old dog sleeping by the fire.” (‭Matthew‬ ‭26‬:‭40-41‬ MSG)

Observation:
I think God says this to us while most of us our sleeping. How many times were you not alert when you should have been and got yourself into dangerous situations? It's something we all battle with ...everything distracting us and pulling our attention. God, help us stay in prayer and be alert in every area of our lives.

Jesus said, “Put your sword back where it belongs. All who use swords are destroyed by swords. Don’t you realize that I am able right now to call to my Father, and twelve companies—more, if I want them—of fighting angels would be here, battle-ready? But if I did that, how would the Scriptures come true that say this is the way it has to be?b(‭Matthew‬ ‭26‬:‭40-41, 52-54‬ MSG)

Observation:
This is just so incredibly brave. I can't imagine knowing I have all of this power to cease the hurt and pain I'm being caused, but forgo it for the letter and the betterment of mankind. This is the example for our world. God, help us to be aware when you have put us in situations that we can be of influence and to resolve to do what you have called us to do.

Then he got really nervous and swore. “I don’t know the man!” Just then a rooster crowed. Peter remembered what Jesus had said: “Before the rooster crows, you will deny me three times.” He went out and cried and cried and cried. (‭Matthew‬ ‭26‬:‭40-41, 52-54, 74-75‬ MSG)

Observation:
Its so interesting that Peter denies Jesus as soon as he's not viewed as this marvelous being that people admire and look up to. It just shows how fickle we can be as followers.

4/08/2015 6:53 am  #76

Mathew 27

Scripture 27:18 For he knew that it was out of envy that they had delivered him up.

Observation
They were envious of Jesus’ because they wanted all the attention and glory. They wanted to be the one’s in charge; they wanted to keep their positions of authority.

This is the original sin. Satan rebelled because he wanted to be like God and receive worship. Adam and Eve ate because they wanted to be like God. The Sadducees and Pharisees are wanting to be like God by keeping all the glory and honor for themselves.

Application
This is a story as old as eternity. People and angels are envious of God and want to receive the same worship and honor that He receives. Unbelievers today have the same issue. They won’t submit to God’s authority, they won’t accept Christ because they want to make a god in their own image, a god according to their desires, a god that lets them stay in control. They worship themselves and will not worship a higher authority than themselves – they are their own gods.

As believers, this can be a reminder that God is our God and to make sure we keep Him on the throne of our lives. We need to make sure that we are serving God with our attitudes, actions, motives and plans and not just serving ourselves. We need to remember that God’s purposes have priority over our desires and that God has authority over our life.

itsjenniferrose wrote:

Its so interesting that Peter denies Jesus as soon as he's not viewed as this marvelous being that people admire and look up to. It just shows how fickle we can be as followers.

Yes, it is hard to accept being despised by society and even threatened. We are certainly at that point where believers are despised. It is hard to stand up and stay true when you know you will be despieed, scorned and rejected.

4/09/2015 8:15 am  #77

Matthew 28

Scripture
28:17 And when they saw him they worshiped him, but some doubted.
28:20  teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.

Observation
It was hard for some of them to believe even what they saw with their own eyes because it just did not seem possible what was happening. 

Jesus promised to be with them always to the end of this age.

Application
God is with us always. And, later at Pentecost we will see that God is also now in us. Sometimes we doubt we cannot accept that God is with us because it just does not make sense to us what we see going on in our lives. But, Jesus made this promise that He is with us always to the end of the age.

Is Jesus enough for us? Is His presence enough for us or do we need to look to other things for comfort, love, or fulfillment?  Do we doubt His presence during times of difficulty? Or do we instead seek Him and call out to Him? Do we focus on Him and strengthen our relationship and connection with Him through the Word, prayer and times of adoration?

4/11/2015 2:19 am  #78

Matthew 28

Scripture
Meanwhile, the eleven disciples were on their way to Galilee, headed for the mountain Jesus had set for their reunion. The moment they saw him they worshiped him. Some, though, held back, not sure about worship, about risking themselves totally. (‭Matthew‬ ‭28‬:‭16-17‬ MSG)

Application
We should never be afraid to worship and risk it all...completely let go, but unfortunately we do as believers. The above scripture is a perfect example of the way we can be in our walk. God, help us to loose the chains we self impose to fully worship you.

4/21/2015 12:24 am  #79

Matthew 28

Scripture
Meanwhile, the eleven disciples were on their way to Galilee, headed for the mountain Jesus had set for their reunion. The moment they saw him they worshiped him. Some, though, held back, not sure about worship, about risking themselves totally. (‭Matthew‬ ‭28‬:‭16-17‬ MSG)

Application
We should never be afraid to worship and risk it all...completely let go, but unfortunately we do as believers. The above scripture is a perfect example of the way we can be in our walk. God, help us to loose the chains we self impose to fully worship you.

4/21/2015 7:42 am  #80

itsjenniferrose wrote:

Matthew 28

Scripture

Application

So true, sometime it is hard to step out and really risk to give ourselves fully over to God in worship.

Board footera