Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/13/2015 7:37 am  #1

Proverbs

Week of June 15
This Week’s Reading Assignment

Good Morning Girls Intro to Proverbs
S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.

Monday
Reading: Proverbs 1
Optional GMG Discussion Question:
Life is full of choices. Name a time when someone tried to encourage you to turn your back on truth and wisdom. What did you learn from that experience?

Tuesday
Reading: Proverbs 2
In what ways does God's wisdom sustain you during your day to day decisions?

Wednesday
Reading: Proverbs 3
What is the biggest blessing you have received in your life since fully relying on the wisdom found in God's Word?

Thursday
Reading: Proverbs 4
How do you stay on the path of wisdom during your Christian walk?

Friday
Reading: Proverbs 5
Today we were warned of the problems lust can cause in our lives. Yet, God provided marriage to keep us from such sinful acts. How can we pray for your marriage? Or your current relationship status?

Reply to this to post to share your daily thoughts.

This Week's Memory Verse

Last edited by TBG (6/15/2015 6:06 am)

6/15/2015 7:07 am  #2

Re: Proverbs

PS: You don't have to post this much. Just post your thoughts, even if it just a sentence or two. No pressure to write this much.

Proverbs 1

Fear of Lord
Scripture: 1:7

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, But fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Observations
Fear- reverence – honor and respect mixed with love and awe

If we start with fear, we are on our way to gaining wisdom. Only a foolish person would despise God’s instructions.

Application
This goes back to us wanting our own way and despising anyone or anything that tries to tell us what to do. But, true knowledge starts when we understand God’s place and authority as shown by our reverence and respect for Him and His truths.

Greed Leads to Our Own Destruction
Scripture 1:18-19

But they lie in wait for their own blood, They lurk secretly for their own lives. So are the ways of everyone who is greedy for gain; It takes away the life of its owners.

Observation
The “so are” in verse 19 refers us back to verse 18. So, it says that the greedy take away their own life and lie in wait for their own blood. And as a bird cannot see the hidden net waiting to snare it, they cannot see the trap they have set for themselves. It is hidden and waiting to destroy them.

Application
I think that for me it is easy to say, “I am not greedy,” because I don’t really chase after money. But, what about how we can sometimes want more and more possessions, or nicer things, or things as nice as our friends have, or things as nice as we see on TV, etc. Is this not a form of greed as well?

And does that greed not drive us to spend too much? This can place financial pressures on us that:
- leave us no bandwidth when a crisis hits
- place too much stress on us causing our relationships to be stressed
- make us not have the time to focus on being there for people or doing God’s work because we have to spend so much time on financial obligations

Maybe we should be content with what we have and thankful for the things that are already in our lives.

We Have Rejected God
Scripture ;22,23,25

"How long, you simple ones, will you love simplicity? For scorners delight in their scorning, And fools hate knowledge.  Turn at my rebuke; Surely I will pour out my spirit on you; I will make my words known to you.

Because you disdained all my counsel, And would have none of my rebuke,

Observation
People delight in scorning God, His Word and His standards. They will not repent. It they would repent, He would help them to understand His words. But, when crisis hits, we ask, “where is God?” (vs 26-27)

They want God during hard times, but hate to submit to His Word during good times and don’t reverence Him in their lives (vs 29-30). They reject His counsel.

Application
It is very easy for us who are doing a Bible study to say, “Oh, I don’t despise God’s Word.” But, the challenge for me is do I submit to it? When my heart is drawing me to what I want, do I reject the wrong desires of my heart and submit my heart to God and submit my will to God? Do I cultivate a heart that longs to honor and obey God; do I love His law? Do I delight in serving God or serving myself?

Are we complacent in accepting the “little” things that don’t honor God in our lives?

For the simple are killed by their turning away, and the complacency of fools destroys them; (1:32)

Prayer
Help me not to be complacent and to allow the “little” sins into my heart; help me not to despise your law; help me to love your truth and your standards above all else; help me to have a heart after you and not after my own way; help me to subject my heart to you and have a hart that is surrendered to you and placed under your authority. Help me not to long for Your Word as head knowledge, but long for Your intimacy and relationship.

6/15/2015 11:53 am  #3

Scripture
but whoever listens to me will dwell secure
and will be at ease, without dread of disaster 1:33

Observation
When we listen to God we know that He is working all things for His purpose.  We know that He knows the outcome

Application
As I turn to the Lord ore and more, I don't need to dread disaster.  It may come, but I know that the Lord is already there so I need not fear it.

6/15/2015 3:06 pm  #4

Proverbs

Wisdom calls aloud outside;
She raises her voice in the open squares.
She cries out in the chief concourses
At the openings of the gates in the city…
Surely I will pour out my spirit on you;
I will make my words known to you.”
(Proverbs 20-24)

Hindsight. Looking back at times in my life when I stumbled, I can see God’s sovereign hand showing me a better way! These verse are so comforting. It tells me that God is shouting the right answers to me. He is literally pointing, reaching, and stretching his hands in the right direction that I am supposed to go…

Simple enough, right…? Not so much, because I don’t know about you… but when I have so many other voices in my head: Friends, family, radio, television, and social media… even a shout can be muted.

“Surely I will pour out my Spirit on you; I will make my words known to you.” This verse has me thinking about how much God wants to give me. He is the Giver. He wants his Spirit to be poured into mine which will allow his holy word to come alive to me personally.

So grateful for this invitation to obtain a life of wisdom-- Everything that is good, sound, and righteous. Also, his promise and gift of love to pour out his Spirit into me to make me see beyond the natural and into the supernatural.
 Lord, this summer, help me to mute the sounds…and listen to your call to me.

Theresnoplacelike Home

Last edited by Theresnoplacelike Home (6/15/2015 3:06 pm)

6/15/2015 4:44 pm  #5

Scripture
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom
But he who obeys me dwells in security, in peace, without fear of harm

Observation:
The verse " for the self will of the simple kills them" reminded me that often we turn to ourselves (importance of the self) in order to find answers to our problems instead of turning them over to God and to seek his counsel.

Application:
To remember in each moment of my life (joy, sorrow, success, setback, anything) to know and acknowledge God's hand, His will in them.

Last edited by Maryn Joseph (6/15/2015 4:45 pm)

6/15/2015 7:54 pm  #6

Theresnoplacelike Home wrote:

Proverbs

Wisdom calls aloud outside;
She raises her voice in the open squares.
She cries out in the chief concourses
At the openings of the gates in the city…
Surely I will pour out my spirit on you;
I will make my words known to you.”
(Proverbs 20-24)

Hindsight. Looking back at times in my life when I stumbled, I can see God’s sovereign hand showing me a better way! These verse are so comforting. It tells me that God is shouting the right answers to me. He is literally pointing, reaching, and stretching his hands in the right direction that I am supposed to go…

Simple enough, right…? Not so much, because I don’t know about you… but when I have so many other voices in my head: Friends, family, radio, television, and social media… even a shout can be muted.

“Surely I will pour out my Spirit on you; I will make my words known to you.” This verse has me thinking about how much God wants to give me. He is the Giver. He wants his Spirit to be poured into mine which will allow his holy word to come alive to me personally.

So grateful for this invitation to obtain a life of wisdom-- Everything that is good, sound, and righteous. Also, his promise and gift of love to pour out his Spirit into me to make me see beyond the natural and into the supernatural.
 Lord, this summer, help me to mute the sounds…and listen to your call to me.

Theresnoplacelike Home

Yes, this reminds me of the "hound of heaven" how God calls out to us and pursues us to save us by His great love.

6/15/2015 7:56 pm  #7

Maryn Joseph wrote:

Observation:
The verse " for the self will of the simple kills them" reminded me that often we turn to ourselves (importance of the self) in order to find answers to our problems instead of turning them over to God and to seek his counsel.

This is such a challenge for so many, including me. Especially in U.S. culture we are taught to be self-made and independent.

6/15/2015 11:06 pm  #8

Much of this chapter spoke to me but I SOAKed Proverbs 1:7, "The fear of The Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction."  It was interesting because I spent a lot of time reading the footnotes in my study bible about what it means to fear the Lord. "To honor and respect, to live in awe of his power, to obey His word."  Then,tonight at Bible School, a 4th grader looked at me and said, "What does it mean to fear The Lord?"  I asked what he thought it meant and of course he thought we were supposed to be afraid of God. Thanks to the words God showed me in my Bible Study today, I was able to share with him that fearing The Lord meant recognizing that he was powerful in our lives and that we should respect his power, honor Him, and follow his guidance.

6/15/2015 11:13 pm  #9

Maryn Joseph wrote:

Scripture
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom
But he who obeys me dwells in security, in peace, without fear of harm

Observation:

Application:
To remember in each moment of my life (joy, sorrow, success, setback, anything) to know and acknowledge God's hand, His will in them.

This is something I struggle with. I've always been a very capable person who has rarely struggled to handle situations but God has used numerous hardships in my life to break me down and show me that I can't do anything without Him. I only hope that I am able to learn and apply this lesson sooner rather than later before any more hardships are sent my way!!

6/16/2015 12:21 am  #10

Michelle wrote:

Scripture
but whoever listens to me will dwell secure
and will be at ease, without dread of disaster 1:33

Observation
When we listen to God we know that He is working all things for His purpose.  We know that He knows the outcome

Application
As I turn to the Lord ore and more, I don't need to dread disaster.  It may come, but I know that the Lord is already there so I need not fear it.

This is very encouraging. It's a great reminder that we are secure because He is able to work all things together for the good.

Board footera