Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/03/2015 9:09 am  #11

Re: Numbers

Numbers 7

Scripture 7:5
Accept these from them, that they may be used in the service of the tent of meeting, and give them to the Levites, to each man according to his service.

Observations
The people gave things to be used to support the worship of God, the tabernacle, and to help the Levites to do their jobs.

The Levites did not get the same things. They each got different based on the requirements for their jobs.

Application
We should not be focused on other people’s gifts and blessings. God gives each of us what we need to fulfill the service He has appointed for us. Someone may be wealthy, maybe their work is to financial fund His work or reach a different group of people. Some may be physically healthy, some may have a larger nicer house, etc. Don’t compare focus on what God wants you to do with your blessings.

This goes for spiritual gifts as well. We should not compare ourselves to others spiritual walk, but be faithful in what God has given us our measure of faith and insight.

Scripture 7: 89
And when Moses went into the tent of meeting to speak with the LORD, he heard the voice speaking to him from above the mercy seat that was on the ark of the testimony, from between the two cherubim; and it spoke to him.

Observation
That is pretty incredible to think that one would hear the audible voice of God speaking to them. Mind blowing. Not many people experienced this. Off the top of my head I can only thing of Paul who head the audible voice of Jesus. Even the prophets usually were lead through dreams and visions. So, Moses was given a very special intimate relationship with God.

Yet Moses did nothing special to merit this special treatment or relationship. There is no indication that he was particularly devout prior to his calling. But, God chose him. This was God’s role for him, not based on his merit, but it was a work of God, by the will of God and to fulfill God’s purpose.

Application
This should help us stay humble if we are called to prominent ministry. And if we are called to a less prominent ministry, we should not compare our calling. We nor our ministry are of greater or lesser value. But, we are all servants fulfilling our master’s will.

11/04/2015 6:13 am  #12

When I read Numbers 7 yesterday I had trouble finding anything to focus on, so I went to Matthew Henry's commentary and I really loved what it showed me:

V.1

On the day the tabernacle was finished, they started making plans and gathering what they needed to take it down and move it. We also need to be prepared for change...especially we need to be prepared for the day that Christ returns.

v. 10-89

This is a time of rejoicing, celebration- yet look there within their offerings is the sin offering. Same should be the case with us, we need to be repenting even in our rejoicing, in our service, in our worship.

11/04/2015 8:43 am  #13

Numbers 8

As I read all these passages, I see the Israelites acting in precise obedience to every detail that God commands.

Sometimes, we try to cut corners and be “basically” obedient while compromising a bit around the edges of the “less important” things.

It is easy to compromise with sin and allow certain thoughts or attitudes to go unchecked instead of remembering that that is dishonoring to God and disobedient to His instructions.

This should be an example to us to give God our whole heart and without thought, consideration, or negotiation, to automatically obey Him completely, fully, immediately and exactly.

Scripture 8:7
Thus you shall do to them to cleanse them: sprinkle the water of purification upon them, and let them go with a razor over all their body, and wash their clothes and cleanse themselves.

Observation: They had to cleanse themselves to come into God’s presence.

Application: We are always clean in God’s eyes by the blood of Christ and can come before Him with confidence. And, His presence lives in us.

Scripture 8:12-14
Then the Levites shall lay their hands on the heads of the bulls, and you shall offer the one for a sin offering and the other for a burnt offering to the LORD to make atonement for the Levites.

And you shall set the Levites before Aaron and his sons, and shall offer them as a wave offering to the LORD. Thus you shall separate the Levites from among the people of Israel, and the Levites shall be mine.

Observation: They were set apart to serve God. They had the blood of the bulls to make purify them and cleanse of sin so that they could serve.

Application:
We have the blood of Christ to cleanse our conscience from our dead works and to allow us to serve God as He lives in our lives. Hebrews 9:12-14

How much more powerful and efficacious is this? This should inspire us to daily seek to be about serving God, serving before Him, glorifying His name before people, and ministering to Him.

Optional GMG Discussion Question:
All that belongs to God must be set apart and cleansed. Jesus' blood cleanses us, but we must ensure that we remain set apart throughout our daily lives. What steps do you take to ensure that you remain set apart from the world?

I am careful with the type of quantity of media I consume. I really try not to watch anything that is dishonoring to God, I don't care how good the show is. If it has harsh language, sexuality, and celebrates anything that is dishonoring to God or sinful.

I just don't put that in my mind and feed on that. I want to set my mind on things of th Spirit so that I will not walk in my flesh. I don't want bad words circling my mind and I want to think on things that build me up.

Therefore, I used to rarely go to the movies until the last several years however, because lately there have been a lot of appropriate movies released.

Ephesians 5:3-4, Philippians 4:8, 1 Corinthians 10:23, 1 Corinthians 6:12,
For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. Romans 8:5

Last edited by TBG (11/04/2015 8:57 am)

11/05/2015 3:31 am  #14

Numbers 8

All that belongs to God must be set apart and cleansed. Jesus' blood cleanses us, but we must ensure that we remain set apart throughout our daily lives. What steps do you take to ensure that you remain set apart from the world?

Answer:
Staying humble and grounded. Making family and giving back priorities in my life.

11/05/2015 6:33 am  #15

Numbers 8

I try to be careful of what I put into my mind (and the minds if my children too) so I carefully choose books, music, and movies/shows. We do not even have cable. (Even if you pick an ok show or movie- the commercials are terrible!)  That has caused my husband to have to give up watching sports..he didn't do a ton of that before but I know sometimes he misses it and I am so blessed by his desire to make godly choices for us.

Also we try to be cautious of who we spend the bulk of our time with and who our closet friends are. We are so blessed when we spend our time with people that are growing in the Lord. We do also have friends who struggle or who do not know The Lord at all. (the majority of my family are unsaved) I find I have to be prayed up and prepare for time spent with them or I go away feeling not great and even sometimes regretful of the conversations that took place. I pray that The Lord protect me, give me strength and shine His light into that darkness. I want so much for the people I love to know Him!

11/05/2015 6:40 am  #16

Numbers 9

The Passover: if compared to The Lords supper or communion it causes me to reflect on the seriousness of it and what I should be doing to prepare...my Pastor said last Sunday that we should always be preparing for it examine our hearts, repent and not just in the few short min. before it is passed.

The cloud:  God is still with us today....day and night. We may not have that visual but He is here and we should be prepared to "move" when he leads us.

11/05/2015 8:24 am  #17

Numbers 9

They were going to celebrate the Passover. It is good for us to have set holidays when we stop and remember, reflect and commemorate God’s work. That is why Resurrection Sunday is such a special time. As Israel commemorated its deliverance at Passover, so we commemorate out deliverance through the resurrection of Christ.

Scripture 9:8 And Moses said to them, "Wait, that I may hear what the LORD will command concerning you."

Observation: Moses did try to use his own reason or opinion. He sought the Lord.

Application: Too often I don’t seek the Lord first. I immediately just act out of my logic and what I think.

Scripture 9:15-16
On the day that the tabernacle was set up, the cloud covered the tabernacle, the tent of the testimony. And at evening it was over the tabernacle like the appearance of fire until morning. So it was always: the cloud covered it by day and the appearance of fire by night.

Observation
God showed them His approval of their work on the tabernacle by resting His presence there. He also showed them His presence and so that they would know and see with their own eyes that He was with them.

Application
How beautiful this was for God to show them His presence to reassure them of His care for them. I am grateful that God has now put His presence inside of me in the person of the Holy Spirit.

What a great blessing and kindness of from to put His presence in a weak, flawed, jar of clay. This is a great treasure and something to always be grateful for no matter what else happens in life.

I rely so much on the Holy Spirit to prompt me and remind me and to get me back focused on God. I don’t think I could live in joy and peace without the Spirit in me. Praise God.

Scripture
9:19 Even when the cloud continued over the tabernacle many days, the people of Israel kept the charge of the LORD and did not set out.

9:22 Whether it was two days, or a month, or a longer time, that the cloud continued over the tabernacle, abiding there, the people of Israel remained in camp and did not set out, but when it lifted they set out.

Observation
I am sure they were anxious to get settled in the new land. Who wants to wander around a wilderness? Can you imagine that, living out of suitcases and temporary tents and never really having a set home or crops and limited livestock. However, they waited patiently on God.

Application
Sometime we need to wait patiently on God and on His timing to move us where we need to be or desire to be.

The people of Israel faithfully followed God's guidance. How are you following God's guidance in your life right now?

This is good timing for this question. I was completely sure that God called me to foster parent. I have wanted to do it since my late 20's and when I mentioned it to my husband (who at the time was my boyfriend) he felt the same way and I just felt like that was confirmation.

Well, our first child was terrible, the worst experience of my husband's life and an experience I vowed I was never going to allow in my home again. It was a worse situation than I can detail in this short space and now we are left wandering if we really are going to do this. Did we hear God wrong? Did we wait too long to do this and the timing has passed (it has been 18 years)? Is this no longer God's plan for us? We are just unsure. We are taking a  break until the beginning of next year to reevaluate how we will proceed.If you can, pray for us.

11/05/2015 8:41 am  #18

Welcome back itsjenniferrose.
Glad to see you. I always appreciated your consistent input.

esuzannah:
Yes, sports do have terrible commercials. We do still watch sports. But, that is definitely food for thought. It is kind of sad too, because that used to be something people could do as a family. I grew up watching football with my dad.

Also, I think you hit it on the head as far as Passover goes. The Lord's Supper is the correct correlation because it was also instituted by God. That is the more accurate connection rather than my initial thought of celebrating Resurrection Sunday.

11/05/2015 9:44 pm  #19

Numbers 10

This is a beautiful picture of God’s leading and the people’s trust.

S: 10:35 And whenever the ark set out, Moses said, "Arise, O LORD, and let your enemies be scattered, and let those who hate you flee before you.

O: Moses understood that it was the power of God that was protecting them and overcoming for them. But, notice he said God’s enemies, not his or Israel’s enemies. It was God’s agenda that was important and anyone that was against God, not Moses or Israel.

A: We need to understand also that it is not for us to succeed, for us to overcome, but for God to overcome in us first, then through us.

11/06/2015 1:24 am  #20

Numbers 9

Scripture:
“So they camped or traveled at the LORD’s command, and they did whatever the LORD told them through Moses.”
‭‭Numbers‬ ‭9:23‬ ‭NLT‬‬
http://bible.com/116/num.9.23.nlt

Reflection:
I think it's amazing how this chapter illustrates direct guidance from God and obedience to God. I agree with @TBG.  Most of the time, my initial response before taking my next move is not seeking God, and it needs to be. God, I pray for your help in being in constant contact with you. Not just at the end of the day. I'm grateful for your mercy and grace.

The people of Israel faithfully followed God's guidance. How are you following God's guidance in your life right now?

I always feel like when I'm listening to my intuition ...that little voice Inside and act on it, I'm following God's guidance in my life. Not matter what others think or say, I listen to that voice.

Last edited by itsjenniferrose (11/06/2015 1:29 am)

Board footera