Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/07/2015 6:56 am  #81

Re: Acts

Acts 22

His defense seems very logical. Why would he suddenly risk so much for the Way when he had previously tried to kill them? There are so many reasons to give credence to this. People just don’t want to believe anything that they don’t like or that does not match their preconceived customs, lifestyle, etc. We see this today. People just choose to ignore things if they don’t want to believe them.

I think this just points to what Ephesians 2:8-9 says, that is really has to be the work of the Holy Spirit that opens eyes and instills faith. It is just the Spirit that allows us to accept and believe and not get entrenched into our own way.

This is a good reminder not to think we are better than others and to have compassion on others. We should understand that, but by the grace of God, we too could have rejected the gospel and hope of life.

Acts 22:21-22  "Then the Lord said to me, 'Go; I will send you far away to the Gentiles.' " The crowd listened to Paul until he said this. Then they raised their voices and shouted, "Rid the earth of him! He's not fit to live!"

It seems their hatred of Gentiles and the thought that Gentiles could receive grace from God set them off again. We also see that today. People have such resentment and bitterness to others (different politics, races, lifestyles, etc.) that they cannot even dialogue with each other, believe the worse of each other, spread crazy distortions or outright lies about each other. They never give them the benefit of the doubt and they judge them more harshly than they judge themselves or those with whom they agree.

I think, at least in the U.S. right now, we need to watch our rhetoric. It is absolutely appropriate and in fact required as a citizen to speak up and fight for what you believe. But, we need to discuss facts and principles and it is fine to offer factually and respectful criticism of people’s policies and principles. But let’s not be shrill, unkind, hateful, and ungracious.

Remember, as believers we should be know for being people of love. Now love can and does correct, because if you really love someone you will correct them. And love can and does speak out against wrongs and fights for what is right. So, that is fine, speak up, speak out, offer legitimate, constructive and respectful criticism. But, let’s do it with kindness, respect, and with a spirit of humility and graciousness.

Acts 22:25 As they stretched him out to flog him, Paul said to the centurion standing there, "Is it legal for you to flog a Roman citizen who hasn't even been found guilty?"

There is nothing wrong with trying to protect and defend ourselves. There is nothing wrong with using the laws to obtain our rights. We just have to trust God so that if someone wrongly takes or does not respect our rights we don’t act in ways unpleasing to God or that are illegal or unethical. We accept that it is a glory to overlook an offense (Proverbs 19:11) and that we don’t have to insist on our rights because God will ultimately fight out fights.

10/07/2015 7:16 pm  #82

Acts 23

23: 6 Now when Paul perceived that one part were Sadducees and the other Pharisees, he cried out in the council, "Brothers, I am a Pharisee, a son of Pharisees. It is with respect to the hope and the resurrection of the dead that I am on trial."

He is being clever to try to talk his way out of this. So, again nothing wrong with being clever and tying to outwit someone doing  wrong as long as we are honest and using integrity and our goal is a godly goal not just trying to manipulate people for our purpose.

Paul trusted God for whatever would happen to him be it deliverance or death. However, he still did what he could to help himself. He probably knew that he was ultimately going to die, but he still tried to speak up for himself and protect himself.

23:5 And Paul said, "I did not know, brothers, that he was the high priest, for it is written, 'You shall not speak evil of a ruler of your people.'"

He is quoting an Old Testament law, Exodus 22:28. But, we do see the principle repeated in the New Testament about honoring rulers (Romans, and 1 Peter 2:17).

I don’t think this means in a democracy that we should not participate. We are also citizens and as Paul used the privileges of his citizenship, we should act on the obligation of our citizenship to speak up and participate. And I think that includes speaking against policies and philosophies with which we disagree and encouraging people not to support leaders with errant philosophies and goals. But, this should be respectful and not personal attacks and hateful dishonoring statements.

10/08/2015 8:36 pm  #83

Acts 23 continued

I was rereading the chapter and just saw some new things.

Then a great clamor arose, and some of the scribes of the Pharisees' party stood up and contended sharply, "We find nothing wrong in this man. What if a spirit or an angel spoke to him?" - Acts 23:9

It is always about individual agendas. When the Word meet people's individual agenda, they are all for it, when it clashes with their personal beliefs or desires they reject it.

When it was day, the Jews made a plot and bound themselves by an oath neither to eat nor drink till they had killed Paul. - Acts 23:12

They were full of so much resentment towards the truth, that it fueled a passionate commitment to destroy Paul and to destroy the Way.

It seems today that people who are advocating for wrong are more passionate and committed than those who advocate for truth.

I just keep coming back to the point that we need to simplify our lives to free ourselves for more service and to be workers in our communities so that God will be known and to bring honor to his name.

Ok, so I told you guys that I am going to start once a month feeding the homeless. I am going to continue to look for opportunities and timing to expand my service.

Also, in addition to formal service, I think we can look for opportunities just to reach out to people and be involved in their lives.

I notice that almost all my friends and those I hang out with are Chrustians. So, I am going to make more of an effort to reach out to others - inviting them into my home for dinner, or just drop by for casual dessert/coffee, make your own taco bar, Christmas open house with just cookies and cider, etc.

And just asking about their life, letting them know I am praying for them, and following up to see how things are going to let them know I am thinking of them, and I care.

Also, actually doing things to help. Bring over a meal, help with yard work, help housework, showing them how to do something helpful.

I want to start with my neighbors.

My neighbor had a heart problem and she can't eat all the down home comfort food that she misses. Well, I am really good at making very tasty and satisfying light and healthy versions of things. So, I am want to bring by a dish to cheer her up.

So, I am trying to reexamine how I spend my time so I can do these things. It is definitely on my heart, but I don't want to always just have good intentions, I want to act on them.

So, it is something I can be in prayer about.

Last edited by TBG (10/09/2015 10:17 am)

10/08/2015 8:50 pm  #84

Acts 24

After some days Felix came with his wife Drusilla, who was Jewish, and he sent for Paul and heard him speak about faith in Christ Jesus. - Acts 24:24

Intellectual curiosity; almost like an interest in philosophy as a hobby or an enjoyable exercise like dissecting politics at a dinner party with like minded friends or attending a book club. Just an enjoyable intellectual pursuit.

Like today, people are very spiritual and like to talk about theoretical spiritual things. They just get upset if we talk absolutes and submission to God and His Word.

And as he reasoned about righteousness and self-control and the coming judgment, Felix was alarmed and said, "Go away for the present. When I get an opportunity I will summon you." - Acts 24:25

We tend to focus on, God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your future.

While I suppose that is true if you extend "future" to include eternity, people will never get there if they don't fist accept righteousness, self control and the righteous judgement of God.

I think this may contribute to the number of anemic Christians and cultural Christians who go to church and like the Christian lifestyle, but may not even be saved.

We don't make sure people know that God requires righteousness and will judge unrighteousness. Even though He forgives our failures and sin (missing the mark, falling short of His standard) He still calls believers to have self control (a fruit of the Spirt) and to pursue His holiness.

Last edited by TBG (10/09/2015 10:19 am)

10/09/2015 10:27 am  #85

Acts 25

Mathew Henry points out that the Jewish leaders were so anxious to get to Paul that as soon Festus was in office they went to him to try to get Paul. After all these years they were obsessed with it and it was the first thing on their mind.

By contrast, Festus did not go up to Jerusalem till he had been in the province for 3 days. Paul could have immediately requested an audience with him.

So, we see Paul patiently bearing up under injustice.

Optional GMG Discussion Question from Chpt 24
Have you been faced with unjust judgment in your life? If so, how did you respond?

I think it is hard to not get upset when we are being treated unfairly or for me, disrespectfully. We just have to remember that the world is not our home and if they persecuted Jesus, how much more so will they persecute us. We must remember that our hope is not in this world and that this is a fallen sinful world and unjust things will happen.

Lastly, we need to remember to be humble because Jesus never got upset when He was mistreated. He only got upset when God was disrespected. So, we are not special, we are only here to do God’s work so I should not be overly focused on myself but just on glorifying God.

10/09/2015 6:14 pm  #86

TBG wrote:

Also, in addition to formal service, I think we can look for opportunities just to reach out to people and be involved in their lives.

I notice that almost all my friends and those I hang out with are Chrustians. So, I am going to make more of an effort to reach out to others - inviting them into my home for dinner, or just drop by for casual dessert/coffee, make your own taco bar, Christmas open house with just cookies and cider, etc.

And just asking about their life, letting them know I am praying for them, and following up to see how things are going to let them know I am thinking of them, and I care.

Also, actually doing things to help. Bring over a meal, help with yard work, help housework, showing them how to do something helpful.

I want to start with my neighbors.

My neighbor had a heart problem and she can't eat all the down home comfort food that she misses. Well, I am really good at making very tasty and satisfying light and healthy versions of things. So, I am want to bring by a dish to cheer her up.

So, I am trying to reexamine how I spend my time so I can do these things. It is definitely on my heart, but I don't want to always just have good intentions, I want to act on them.

So, it is something I can be in prayer about.

This is inspiring....I am going to talk to my husband about having a Christmas open house and invite all our neighbors. Such a great idea!

10/11/2015 4:54 pm  #87

esuzannah wrote:

This is inspiring....I am going to talk to my husband about having a Christmas open house and invite all our neighbors. Such a great idea!

Well, I am not doing this as I should now. But it really is something I want to work on prioritizing. I really think we have to reach out and be a part of people's lives not just talk at them.

10/11/2015 5:01 pm  #88

Week of October 12, 2015
This Week’s Reading Assignment

S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.

Don't forget to check the introduction on Mondays and the devotional on Friday at Good Morning Girls.

Monday
Good Morning Girls: Introduction to weekly reading
Reading: Acts 26
Verse of the Day: Acts 26:18
To open their eyes, so that they may turn from darkness to light and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me.’

Optional GMG Discussion Question:
Though Paul was imprisoned, he was allowed to speak for himself and give his testimonyagain, just as God promised. Has God ever given you another opportunity to share your testimonywith someone? If so, did you take advantage of the opportunity?

Tuesday
Reading: Acts 27
Verse of the Day: Acts 27:25
So take heart, men, for I have faith in God that it will be exactly as I have been told.

Optional GMG Discussion Question: Paul was able to witness again for Christ and reveal what God had promised, that all thelives aboard the ship would be saved. How have you been able to share God's promises with others?

Wednesday
Good Morning Girls: Links and thoughts to go deeper
Reading: Acts 28
Verse of the Day: Acts 28:28
Let it be known to you that this salvation of God has been sent to the Gentiles; they will listen.”

Optional GMG Discussion Question: No matter where Paul went or was taken, he shared his testimony and allowed God to workthrough him. Where has God given you the opportunity to witness that seemed unlikely or unusual?

10/12/2015 8:14 am  #89

Acts 26

This is a pithy chapter today.

26:16 But rise and stand on your feet; for I have appeared to you for this purpose, to make you a minister and a witness both of the things which you have seen and of the things which I will yet reveal to you.

We sometime wonder why certain things do or do not happen. I have concerns about some of the teaching going around that God’s purpose if for Christians to have health, prosperity and all the good things in this world

I think God intends for us to have every spiritual blessing in heavenly places (Ephesians 1). This world is not our home, this world is not our hope. I think God does promise us in this world to have peace, joy, and the power of the Spirit inside of us, and ultimately true, real, eternal life.

So when we wonder why certain things do or don’t happen, remember God has a specific purpose to fulfill His spiritual goals in us and through us. Paul suffered tremendously in life, but his purpose was to be a minister and a witness. That was the goal of it all, that was the purpose of it all. And ultimately Paul said that his suffering was light and fleeting and nothing in compared to eternity.

2 Corinthians 4:17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory,

We must remember that was is really real is yet to come and will be revealed with Christ’s return. Then we will really fulfill all that we are. (Colossians 3)

26:18 to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.'

Paul was sent to help people comprehend the message and see the truth of the scripture (open eyes)

For the purpose of turning them from darkness to light, from power of Satan to God.
So, the purpose is to cease old lifestyle and old deeds, to live differently, and to stop yielding to Satan and the flesh but to surrender and submit to the Spirit, to stop serving the world and to serve God.

26:19 "Therefore, King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the heavenly vision,
We need to be obedient and faithful in living out God’s plan for our lives. We don’t always know the long term plan, but I mean being faithful to serve Him where He has us right now and being obedient to what He has put in front of us.

26:20-21 but declared first to those in Damascus and in Jerusalem, and throughout all the region of Judea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent, turn to God, and do works befitting repentance.  For these reasons the Jews seized me in the temple and tried to kill me.

Paul’s message to unbelievers is that they should
- repent (change their mind, have a new belief about life),
- turn to God (seek Him, serve Him, depend on Him, follow Him) and
- live a life that matches or conforms with someone who has a new mind and a different opinion and desire. Our lives should be consistent with the evidence of our turning away from old things and turning towards God. Our works should show that turning.

For these reasons – because of what Paul taught they wanted to destroy him and destroy the message.

Why would that message make one so angry that one would want to destroy someone? Well it upset the status quo and challenged their position, their holiness, their values and beliefs.

We see that now. People are offended at the thought they are not good, that they need to change the way they are living, that there values need to change. They want to elevate and celebrate themselves as great and good.

26:28 Then Agrippa said to Paul, "You almost persuade me to become a Christian."
He was understanding the message and knew the facts to be true but still rejected it. We see this in our day as well. Ultimately, it is a heart issue; people just don’t want to submit to God’s authority. They want to live under their own authority. They are prideful and think that they are good within themselves and they don’t want to live differently or alter their lifestyle.

26:32 Then Agrippa said to Festus, "This man might have been set free if he had not appealed to Caesar."

Paul’s own decision got him killed. This hit home because often we think, “If I had not done or said that, then this would not have happened,” or “if only I had said this then.” But if we are walking in the Spirit and doing things that are obedient to the word of God as written in the Bible, then that is all we can really do. We must trust the rest to God that He can use it for His ultimate purpose.

We have so much anxiety around our decisions. This should not be. If we acting according to Biblical principles, seeking wise godly counsel, acting according to what is proper and in a way to please God, and if we have peace about a decision – just go for it and don’t worry and leave the results to God. It does not mean everything will be great. Here it got Paul killed. But it does mean that we just need to trust our lives and future to God’s hands and God’s plans.

10/13/2015 8:37 am  #90

Acts 27

27:20-22 Now when neither sun nor stars appeared for many days, and no small tempest beat on us, all hope that we would be saved was finally given up. But after long abstinence from food, then Paul stood in the midst of them and said, "Men, you should have listened to me, and not have sailed from Crete and incurred this disaster and loss. And now I urge you to take heart, for there will be no loss of life among you, but only of the ship.

They did not listen to Paul’s warning back in verse 10. It took them being desperate to listen.

People tend not to take even wise advise sometimes until they hit a wall.

It is also like this with God. It seems like it always takes giving up hope to be willing to listen to what God is telling us. We exhaust all our human efforts first. And then, when we have given up all hope, we turn to God.

How I need to heed this and always seek and pray about things, first. And pray for God’s guidance on my efforts so that my human efforts are by the leading of the Spirit.

It also seems as if Paul had been fasting, because it seems as if there was still food on board; they say at the end of the chapter that they threw their grain overboard. Perhaps the sailors did not eat because they just did not have an appetite due to all of the distractions and fear, or maybe they were just too busy with all the work. But, Paul was so full of faith it seems unlikely to me that he did not eat because of fear and anxiety. Likewise, he would not be doing the work. So, I am thinking he probably had not eaten because he was fasting.

If he was fasting, it seems perhaps it was to request God’s favor and to hear God’s will.

27:35 And when he had said these things, he took bread and gave thanks to God in the presence of them all; and when he had broken it he began to eat.

He had compete confidence in God even in the middle of the fearful situation and gave thanks to God.

That is how I need to always respond in times of difficulty – with complete confidence in God and to be able to have a thankful attitude in the middle of the challenges.

My friends I wrote about in the prayer request with the conjoined twins lost their babies Sunday night. But, this is how they have responded through all of this with complete confidence in God and thanksgiving for him allowing them to spend time with and know their little girls. I am so inspired by their faith and trust in God.

Social Media Update
Last week I shared a post from Women Living Well about the attributes of God. This week I am sharing this:

Last edited by TBG (10/13/2015 8:46 am)

Board footera