Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/24/2016 11:06 pm  #41

Re: Job

Week of January 25, 2016
This Week’s Reading Assignment

S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.
Don't forget to check the introduction on Mondays and the devotional on Friday at Good Morning Girls.

Monday
Reading: Job 16
Verse of the Day: Job 16:19
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Job is realizing he has surrounded himself with those who are not compassionate and who are unwilling to provide comfort. Do you have relationships like this in your own life?

Tuesday
Reading: Job 17
Verse of the Day: Job 17:9
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Job is feeling as though all the people in his life have turned their backs on him. Has there been a relationship in your life that you have felt as though the person turned their back on you? How did you overcome the hurt?

Wednesday
Reading: Job 18
Verse of the Day: Job 18:5
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Bildad originally started out trying to be an encouragement (Job 8). However, he has lost his patience and has become yet another discouragement. Name a time when you stumbled at encouraging someone and instead became a discouragement.

Thursday
Reading: Job 19
Verse of the Day: Job 19:25
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Even though Job is discouraged, he takes comfort in the fact that his redeemer lives. How does remembering this bring you comfort in your own day to day struggles?

Friday
Reading: Job 20
Verse of the Day: Job 20:5
Optional GMG Discussion Question: The life and pleasure of the wicked is temporary. Sin ruins feelings of joy and happiness. How can you ensure that this simple truth doesn't play out in your own life?

1/25/2016 5:22 pm  #42

Yesterday I decided to get a jump start on our reading this week, so I went ahead and read Chapter 16.  As I was thinking of the ramblings of Job’s unhelpful friends and frankly, even Job’s droning on and on, I said to myself,  “I can’t wait until God speaks.”   Sooooo... I quickly rifled through the pages to see how much longer it would be before we heard from God – 22 more chapters!  22.  More.  Loooong.  Chapters.   And that’s when it hit me...

That’s how my heart should be every day...

Longing to hear from God.

And that’s what I should say every day...

I can’t wait until God speaks!

1/26/2016 6:20 am  #43

LoriMI wrote:

Yesterday I decided to get a jump start on our reading this week, so I went ahead and read Chapter 16.  As I was thinking of the ramblings of Job’s unhelpful friends and frankly, even Job’s droning on and on, I said to myself,  “I can’t wait until God speaks.”   Sooooo... I quickly rifled through the pages to see how much longer it would be before we heard from God – 22 more chapters!  22.  More.  Loooong.  Chapters.   And that’s when it hit me...

That is a great thought. So true, I don't long for God enough. I heard someone say recently that we do not think about or long for heaven enough. My almost 4 year old son does a better job then me - he says often "mama, I can't wait to die so that I can be in heaven with Jesus!" 

I am really struggling with this book. My journal pages are almost blank, there is nothing highlighted in my bible and the words are depressing. I am thinking that for me this is a book that I should read several chapters of a day instead if one.

Today 2 Timothy 3:16 reminds me and encourages me to continue on:
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

Last edited by esuzannah (1/26/2016 6:22 am)

1/27/2016 9:40 am  #44

esuzannah wrote:

That is a great thought. So true, I don't long for God enough. I heard someone say recently that we do not think about or long for heaven enough. My almost 4 year old son does a better job then me - he says often "mama, I can't wait to die so that I can be in heaven with Jesus!"

I am really struggling with this book. My journal pages are almost blank, there is nothing highlighted in my bible and the words are depressing. I am thinking that for me this is a book that I should read several chapters of a day instead if one.

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

I am soooo with you on struggling with this book!  Sometimes, I just find it boring.  Sometimes, I simply don't understand what's being said.  And sometimes, I don't know how to take what is being said - whether something is said in a positive or negative way.  But I keep plugging along trying to find something that speaks to me - no matter how small.  Most days I have to read the chapter several times before I find something. 

​Loved your reminder of 2 Timothy!  I really needed it.  This morning, it helped me to see that even though God Himself is not the one speaking in this chapter, He really is still speaking.  To me.  Through His Word. 

There is something He wants me to see.  Today.  In the words of Bildad. And there's something there for you too. 

1/27/2016 9:58 am  #45

S:  Then answered Bildad the Shuhite, and said, (Job 18:1)

O:  Bildad responds to Job - and he shouldn't have because he wasn't kind. 

A:  How many times have I responded to a person when I shouldn't have?  How many times has my response not been kind?  How many times has it been hurtful? How many times have I lashed back?  

As I ponder these, the answer is too many.  To my shame.  Waaaay too many.  Today I am reminded that sometimes the best response we can give is simply that of silence.  With ears to hear.  Maybe a gentle touch of compassion.  And most of all, with love.

K: Father, forgive me for the words I have spoken which have hurt others.  Forgive me for when I have not shown your love.  Help, me dear Father, to be like You.  To be like Your Son.  To love. As You love. And to control my tongue.

1/28/2016 1:32 am  #46

Been traveling again ladies, so sometime get behind when I travel.

Job 14
14:1-2  “Mortals, born of woman, are of few days and full of trouble. They spring up like flowers and wither away; like fleeting shadows, they do not endure. Life us meaningless if it is only about this life.

We must have a greater purpose and an eternal hope otherwise we will be hopeless.

Optional Discussion Question
Everything in this world has an end. Yet we have the assurance that through our salvation even our earthly death is not the end. How do these words of truth bring you comfort?

I say this all the time, but Col 3 says that when we are united with Christ, then we begin. So, those words bring me great comfort because I know that there is something better coming; my life is not meaningless because I can do things that have eternal impact.

I heard a story from some pastor on the radio, don’t remember which one. He said at the Church socials when they are clearing the plates from the meal, the ladies preparing the food always say, “keep your fork” because there is dessert coming after and you will need your fork to eat the dessert. And the desserts were always so fabulous, the best part of the meal.

So one of his church members died and stipulated that she wanted to be buried with a fork, because the best was yet to come.

1/28/2016 1:33 am  #47

Job 15

I don’t even know what to say about this chapter. His friend actually outright attacks him and blames him. I suppose it could have been motivated by concern. Perhaps he was that convinced that Job was sinful and the only way he would be saved is if he acknowledged that and repented. But, wow.

15:30-31 He will not escape the darkness; a flame will wither his shoots, and the breath of God’s mouth will carry him away. Let him not deceive himself by trusting what is worthless, for he will get nothing in return.

This is true, the evil will ultimately pay, and they will find the things of this world that they put their trust in and their own strength that they trusted in will be worthless.

This should sadden and comfort us. When we feel so angry that evil people get away with things, know that a day of reckoning is coming. It should also sadden us to see someone God created with such potential choose evil and follow on a path of destruction.

15:34-35 For the company of the godless will be barren, and fire will consume the tents of those who love bribes. They conceive trouble and give birth to evil; their womb fashions deceit.”

Eventually the work of the unrighteous will show itself to be fruitless and the evil that they nurtured and grew in their lives will result in death.

1/28/2016 1:33 am  #48

Job 16
16:9 God assails me and tears me in his anger and gnashes his teeth at me; my opponent fastens on me his piercing eyes.

Job sees God as an angry God who won’t forgive or give mercy and just destroys people unrelentingly.

This is a wrong view of God, but sadly one many people have. Many think God is out to get them and just waiting to destroy them for every mistake. They forget even in the Old Testament He showed grace as well as judgment and that frequently His judgment is just to save us and ultimately bring us to repentance.

Job is realizing he has surrounded himself with those who are not compassionate and who are unwilling to provide comfort. Do you have relationships like this in your own life?

Sadly I do, someone close to me is going through such a difficult time that it is hard for them to be there for me about my issues, because my issues remind them of their area of pain.

It was good for me to find this out, however, because it helped me realize what a tough time they are having. I am not really the person that can speak into this pain, but it has led me to redouble my prayers for them.

It breaks my heart to see them to so hurt and I know that when the healing happens we can be closer again and be able to talk about anything, but right now, there are just certain topics we won’t be able to support each other with.

1/28/2016 1:34 am  #49

Job 17

17:7 My eyes have grown dim with grief; my whole frame is but a shadow.

In his darkest time he doesn't think he can endure. He is at the breaking point, and yet, he does endure. He does end up having strength to endure.

That can give us hope for when we are in a dark place that we can make it through and be hopeful knowing that as Job remained faithful, we can remain faithful and as God was ultimately with him, God is with us.

17:13-16 If the only home I hope for is the grave, if I spread out my bed in the realm of darkness, if I say to corruption, ‘You are my father,’ and to the worm, ‘My mother’ or ‘My sister,’ where then is my hope— who can see any hope for me? Will it go down to the gates of death? Will we descend together into the dust?”

He knows that he cannot lose hope and give in to hoping only in death.

Job is feeling as though all the people in his life have turned their backs on him. Has there been a relationship in your life that you have felt as though the person turned their back on you? How did you overcome the hurt?

No, I can’t think of a relationship where I would say someone turned their backs. However, I do have a friend whose close friend bailed on her when she needed her. I encouraged my friend to remember she had known her friend for so many years and if this was not typical of her behavior, maybe she should just give her a little grace.

Sometimes things are not about you. No matter how sure you are that people’s lives are great and that nothing could be going on, you just can never directly experience someone else’s reality. So, you don’t know what they are struggling with in their hearts and minds. So, maybe this was not about her not caring about my friend, but maybe it was really about whatever her own struggles and weaknesses are.

So, my mantra when people disappoint me is, not everything is about me and maybe this has nothing to do with me.

1/28/2016 1:42 am  #50

esuzannah wrote:

LoriMI wrote:

esuzannah,
That is how I feel, like it is the same points I am seeing in every chapter.

LoriMI,
Another great point. Sometimes I think I am so focused on my areas of dissatisfaction, that I focus on that instead of longing to hear God. And when I pray I do first focus on God's goodness and worship and do thanksgiving, but I don't think I spend enough time waiting to hear God and even when I do it is after my long list of worried, I don't feel like I can't wait to hear from God. That is a great way to change our daily perspective, to focus on longing to hear God. We can do that through scripture memorization as well, since that is how God has spoken to us.

Board footera