Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/06/2016 8:20 pm  #41

Re: Ecclesiastes

Ecclesiastes 6:1-12

From workbook: We are to learn to be content with whatever He give us, finding our joy and satisfaction in Him.

This is something I was convicted of as we were studying Job. I need to graciously submit in all humility to God’s sovereign control of my life.

GMG Discussion Question:
Are the people around you “happy?”

I am blessed to be surrounded by examples of amazing believers that inspire me with their patience and joy in the midst of suffering, and with their devotion to serving others. It is amazing. They inspire me to trust God more and to give more of myself to others.

And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works (Hebrews 10:24)

However, I do see some believers lacking direction, insecure, always second guessing, striving, etc.

What do you see the world chasing after?

I see the world focused on me, mine, why don’t I have what others have, I want, etc. I want the perfect life, perfect mate, perfect job, perfect friends. The constant comparison and evaluation of how others do or do not measure up to expectations guarantee no real intimacy. This is holding people to impossible standards and showing no grace, humility or genuine love.

Has any of their thinking crept into yours and in what ways?

Sometimes, yes. Sometime I find myself focusing on what lacks and therefore becoming dissatisfied.

7/07/2016 1:42 pm  #42

Ecclesiastes 7:1-13

7:2-4 It is better to go to the house of mourning than to go to the house of feasting, for this is the end of all mankind, and the living will lay it to heart. Sorrow is better than laughter, for by sadness of face the heart is made glad. The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning, but the heart of fools is in the house of mirth.

A fool lives for today where a wise person keeps a proper perspective, the heart is made glad by keeping a proper perspective.

7:8 Better is the end of a thing than its beginning, and the patient in spirit is better than the proud in spirit.

From the workbook: It is one thing to begin well, but it is another to end well. The Christian life is like a marathon, not a sprint. It is not the one who runs the race with bravado and pride, but one who humbly and patiently runs the race that God had ordained for him and actually crosses the finish line.

This reminds me of Hebrews 12:1.
Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,

Notice, it does not say lay aside every sin. It says, every weight that hinders. Sometimes there are dreams, goals, desires, or just distractions that are not sin, but they are hindering our ability to faithfully serve God.

7/10/2016 6:44 pm  #43

Week of July 11
This Week’s Reading Assignment

S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.

Monday
Reading: Ecclesiastes 8:1-9
Good Morning Girls: Introduction to the Week
Verse of the Day: Ecclesiastes 8:1
Optional GMG Discussion Question:
Have you ever been under the authority of someone that you did not agree with – perhaps a boss, pastor, elder, professor or civil leader? How did you handle the situation and what was the outcome?

Tuesday
Reading: Ecclesiastes 8:10-17
Verse of the Day: Romans 14:12
Whether our lives are just or unjust, as we await the return of Jesus, how does Solomon tell us to live and respond to the days of life that God has given to us under the sun? How are you living this out in your life?

Wednesday
Reading: Ecclesiastes 9:1-9
Verse of the Day: Matthew 5:45
Even though life is difficult and death is certain, how does Solomon encourage us to live our lives while alive on this earth according to Ecclesiastes 9:7-9? Are you doing these things? Why or why not?

Thursday
Reading: Ecclesiastes 9:10-18
Verse of the Day: Ecclesiastes 9:17
Look at Ecclesiastes 9:17. What is the wise way and how is it better? How can you apply this to your life?

Friday
Reading: Ecclesiastes 10:1-9
Verse of the Day: Proverbs 14:34
Good Morning Girls: Devotional Video
What practical advice does Solomon give in verse 4 in dealing with the anger of a foolish ruler? How does this apply to us when someone is angry with us?

7/11/2016 9:45 am  #44

Ecclesiastes 7:14-29

7:14 When times are good, be happy; but when times are bad, consider this: God has made the one as well as the other. Therefore, no one can discover anything about their future.

We spend so much time trying to control our lives and then being disappointed when things don’t go as we planned. We can’t know or control our future. So, we should just take each day at a time and accept the good times and lean into God during the bad.

7:26 I find more bitter than death the woman who is a snare, whose heart is a trap and whose hands are chains. The man who pleases God will escape her, but the sinner she will ensnare.

This is a warning for women as well to be careful not allowing another man to be a snare to us by trying to get our needs met in ungodly ways or by someone other than our spouses or by God and friends if we are single.

I think it can also be a warning about friendships as well. How friendships with wicked people who have twisted hearts can be a snare and a trap.

But, if we seek to please God instead of ourselves or others, we will escape these traps.

GMG Discussion Question:
Are you overly sensitive to what others have said about you? Who in your life needs grace because of something they have said negatively about you?

It depends. In general, I am good at letting personal things slide off my back. I think that sometimes things are more about the other person than they are about me. I think that sometimes people just misunderstand each other or don’t get each other and it does not mean that either is wrong or bad. And we all have great as well as difficult aspects of our personalities, that includes me as well as others.

But, if people criticize my competence, especially if I think it is not fair and that they lack a complete understanding of the situation, then I feel more defensive. So, this is where I have to work harder on not caring about the assessments of others, but to just always do my best and to honestly examine how I can improve.

7/13/2016 7:12 am  #45

Ecclesiastes 8:1-9

8:1 A person’s wisdom brightens their face and changes its hard appearance.

Matthew 5:16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.

John 13:35 By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."

I love these verses. I love the imagery. I want to so meditate on God's Word that I act in His wisdom and people see Him shining out of me.

8:5 And a wise man's heart discerns both time and judgment,

From the Workbook: We may experience injustice in our own lives. May we respond with joy and trusting God during these times.

It is a hard balance because we do have rights in this country. And Paul did appeal to his rights as a citizen and there appears to be no censure from God for doing this. It does not appear that it is inappropriate for one to appeal to rights they have been granted. But this makes it a delicate balancing act of when we should speak up and when we should let things drop.

I think what stands out to me is what I have said before. Jesus only got angry when God was dishonored; He only defended God and not Himself. So, I think for me I need to look at my heart attitude during times of injustice. I am acting because I am angry that I was mistreated? Or am I calmly just speaking up because I feel it is right with no anger in my heart because I trust God to be the ultimate righteous judge. Because my anger will not produce the righteousness of God.

8:9 There is a time in which one man rules over another to his own hurt.
Boy do we see this in our lives. Our leaders become so power hungry that they completely corrupt their own souls.

7/13/2016 8:46 am  #46

Ecclesiastes 8:10-17

8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed speedily, the heart of the children of man is fully set to do evil.

From the workbook: Here on earth when true justice is not quickly carried out, man will continue to sin because he thinks there are no consequences. He believe he has gotten away with him crimes.

Do we do this? Do we keep holding onto the “little” subs ad compromises because we think it is really no big deal, that we won’t have any consequences because Jesus already paid?

That is a slap in the face to the sacrifice of Christ and we forget that there may be consequences in this life (lack of intimacy with God, poor relationships, poor health, lack of peace, or worse) even if we are forgiven in eternity. My Bible notes on Romans 6 says that sin does not condemn us, but neither should it control us.

Paul speaks about this extensively in Romans 6.

Excellent description of the fear of the Lord: We are to have an awareness or God-consciousness that we are always in the presence of a holy God who is omnipresent, omniscient, and omnipotent. Solomon knew that ultimately it will be well with those who live and walk before God in daily obedience because they fear The Lord.

8:14 There is a vanity that takes place on earth, that there are righteous people to whom it happens according to the deeds of the wicked, and there are wicked people to whom it happens according to the deeds of the righteous. I said that this also is vanity.

I have sadly seen many fall away from the faith over this. They feel they have lived righteous lives and become angry and resentful when there life is not going well.

If we are expecting to see complete perfection and justice in this world. That is a vain hope . This a fallen and wicked world. Now we can expect to see God show up for us. David says I would have fainted

The workbook states it well:
We who are righteous must remember our future reward and blessings that God has promised to us who are faithfully serving, trusting and walking in fear before Him. We must take comfort in His promises to us as we wait “for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ. (Titus 2:13)

And as I have stated before, He has also given us, right now, every spiritual blessing in heavenly places. Ephesians 1 is an amazing list of all the ways God has blessed us. His goodness to us is overwhelming.

All those who are struggling and feel hopeless and discouraged, I wish I could press this into your heart, do not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart. Gal 6:9

Don’t lose heart, hold fast.

8:17 then I saw all the work of God, that man cannot find out the work that is done under the sun. However much man may toil in seeking, he will not find it out. Even though a wise man claims to know, he cannot find it out.

As the workbook summarizes, God’s work is incomprehensible; it is beyond our wisdom and our capacity to know, understand what God is doing is limited. Our limited ability should humble us because we must accept God’s wisdom as superior to ours.

7/14/2016 8:35 am  #47

Ecclesiastes 9:1-9

9:1 But all this I laid to heart, examining it all, how the righteous and the wise and their deeds are in the hand of God.

9:7 Go, eat your bread with joy, and drink your wine with a merry heart, for God has already approved what you do.

God is sovereign. It is to us to enjoy what He has provided.

7/14/2016 8:35 am  #48

Ecclesiastes 9:10-18

9:10 Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might, for there is no work or thought or knowledge or wisdom in Sheol, to which you are going.

This is the time God has given me to do His work. There will be no work, of this sort, once I die. I need to find satisfaction in knowing that I am serving Him by serving others and that I am doing the work He has laid out for me.

Colossians 3:23-24 Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ.

From the Workbook
A wise woman once told me, “this may be your plan B for life, but this was God’s plan A for you.” Sometimes the plans I have are interrupted by the plans God has for me.

Ouch!! That happens somewhat frequently for me in the little things. I have it all planned out what I must do for that day and what is a priority for me. Then other things get in the way, or other people’s need come up. I can get frustrated because God is interrupting my plans. LOL

From the Workbook Question
Tell of a time when you made plans but they fell through?

I had an entirely different plan for my life. Now, as I said, I have a really good life, but it just was not what I saw my life being and not how I planned my life. And I really thought we would have foster kids by now, but I have finally placed that whole situation with God for good. It almost is starting not to matter to me if we do or don’t. I am just more tired of the up and down, so at this point, I almost just don’t care.

Proverbs 19:21 Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the LORD that will stand.

From the workbook: We must trust God, walk in obedience and faith and enjoy the blessings He gives, both the expected and unexpected.

9:17-18 The words of the wise heard in quiet are better than the shouting of a ruler among fools. Wisdom is better than weapons of war, but one sinner destroys much good.

From the workbook: May we be the one wise voice in the midst of arguments, quarrels and fights. With God’s help, may we be the one who can lead people to peace through our gentle words and the wisdom of the Lord.

Let’s not tear down our homes, families, relationships, church, and businesses by our word and actions. Let us be wise and speak with quiet calm truth and love and build up those around us.

7/15/2016 8:02 am  #49

Ecclesiastes 10:1-9

10:1 Dead flies make the perfumer's ointment give off a stench; so a little folly outweighs wisdom and honor.

We can be wise and honorable but by allowing even a little folly in our lives it can mar our reputation.
10:2 A wise man's heart inclines him to the right, but a fool's heart to the left.

Matthew 22:37
Jesus said unto him, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.

Heart - the center and seat of spiritual life; thoughts, feelings
Soul - the seat of the feelings, desires, affections, aversions (our heart, soul etc.); The natural inner being (like taking a breath)
Mind – understanding, tendency and inclination of mind, exercise mind, imagination; way of thinking and feeling
[list=1]
[*]the soul or mind, as it is the fountain and seat of the thoughts, passions, desires, appetites, affections, purposes, endeavours
[*]of the understanding, the faculty and seat of the intelligence
[*]of the will and character
[*]of the soul so far as it is affected and stirred in a bad way or good, or of the soul as the seat of the sensibilities, affections, emotions, desires, appetites, passions
[/list]

7/17/2016 8:55 pm  #50

Week of July 18
This Week’s Reading Assignment

The group discussion thread is under Bible Study » Ecclesiastes.
S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.

Monday
Reading: Ecclesiastes 10:10-20
Good Morning Girls: Introduction to the Week
Verse of the Day: Ecclesiastes 12:13
Look at Ecclesiastes 10:10. What happens when an ax is not sharp and how does wisdom help? Do you have something in your life where you need to work smarter not harder?

Tuesday
Reading: Ecclesiastes 11:1-5
Verse of the Day: 2 Corinthians 9:6
What kind of excuses do we often make for not serving the Lord, for not sowing and trusting God for the harvest?

Wednesday
Reading: Ecclesiastes 11:6-10
Verse of the Day: Philippians 4:6
We have seen in Ecclesiastes 11 that Solomon has encouraged us to enjoy every season of life right where we are. What has been your favorite season and why?

Thursday
Reading: Ecclesiastes 12:1-8
Verse of the Day: Ecclesiastes 12:8
Do you struggle with the aging process and in what ways and why?

Friday
Reading: Ecclesiastes 12:9-14
Verse of the Day: Proverbs 12:14
Good Morning Girls: Devotional Video
What have you learned about life from reading Ecclesiastes?

Last edited by TBG (7/18/2016 8:13 am)

Board footera