Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/24/2014 7:29 am  #1

3 John

3 John

It is hard to find practical application.  I guess I see the dangers of pride and arrogance in the church.   It is unfortunate that that is so often seen.  People get prideful and arrogant and want to control everything.  I guess that is why it is important to have checks and balances and make sure no one person, even if that person is the pastor, has ultimate control.  Although I know this is not a Biblical statement, I still find it to be true that power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

It is better to make sure a group of truly godly, selfless, humble and wise people are in leadership.  Of course having a group is no guarantee either.  As you can still have people within that group bickering and posturing for control.  But we need to not choose people based on societies standards of success.  But as I said, look for those who are the most humble, who are the most understanding, considerate, selfless.

I guess the practice application is that Gaius did what he knew to be right and withstood Diotrephes.  That he was willing to be himself out there and risk even the church throwing him out to do what he felt was honoring to God.  Another lesson is his willingness to support the work of God with financial and physical resources.  We spend so much of our money on material things that we don’t have the resources to fund the work of God.  Why are there any kids left in foster care?  Why do low income people need the government to fund school lunches?  Why are missionaries so often short on funding?  Why is not the Salvation Army fully funded so that there are enough beds for every person seeking to rehab?

Just food for thought that when God blesses us with financial means it is because He has entrusted us as stewards to use that money wisely to advance His causes not just to buy fancier possessions for ourselves.  Well, there you go. I guess I did see personal application after all.

9/24/2014 7:42 am  #2

Re: 3 John

Another great Wednesday post on GMG today. 
This Good Morning Girl’s Bible Study Journal is AMAZING!

I certainly don't think this is for everyone.  And as those who know me are aware, I am much more analytical than creative.  But, what I liked about her post is the time of intimate relationship she is developing with God.  And how writing out her thoughts really connects her with God and with her thoughts.  Definitely worth reading.  See what encouragement and inspiration you can take from her.

9/24/2014 1:19 pm  #3

TBG wrote:

Another great Wednesday post on GMG today. 
This Good Morning Girl’s Bible Study Journal is AMAZING!

I certainly don't think this is for everyone.  And as those who know me are aware, I am much more analytical than creative.  But, what I liked about her post is the time of intimate relationship she is developing with God.  And how writing out her thoughts really connects her with God and with her thoughts.  Definitely worth reading.  See what encouragement and inspiration you can take from her.

Totally agree. I enjoyed viewing her creativity.

9/24/2014 1:20 pm  #4

hello ladies,

11 Dear friend, do not imitate what is evil but what is good.

This further reiterates what was taught in the previous book. If I am  mindful of those I surround myself with, I will be able to avoid people with evil ways. We are easily influenced by others and I need to stay in the word and prayed up so that I am constantly growing and getting closer to God. If I am armed with his Word and walking according to his will, I can eliminate or at least limit others ability to influence us.

Father, I come to you once again asking for you to order my steps and let me continue on the path that you have set for me.  Lord, I know evil exist and I must stay in your word and continue growing closer to you so I can easily identify evil and turn the other way. Lord. I want to follow what is good. Lord I want to follow you. Amen!

9/25/2014 12:59 am  #5

This particular scripture calls out to me have faith in people not just Christians and take a chance, let them im and love them ...even if I don't know them so well. It usually can take me a while to open up to people especially those Im so so about. But "perfect love casts out all fear"

9/25/2014 1:00 am  #6

Also, really love this!

TBG wrote:

3 John

I guess the practice application is that Gaius did what he knew to be right and withstood Diotrephes.  That he was willing to be himself out there and risk even the church throwing him out to do what he felt was honoring to God.  Another lesson is his willingness to support the work of God with financial and physical resources.  We spend so much of our money on material things that we don’t have the resources to fund the work of God.  Why are there any kids left in foster care?  Why do low income people need the government to fund school lunches?  Why are missionaries so often short on funding?  Why is not the Salvation Army fully funded so that there are enough beds for every person seeking to rehab?

Just food for thought that when God blesses us with financial means it is because He has entrusted us as stewards to use that money wisely to advance His causes not just to buy fancier possessions for ourselves.  Well, there you go. I guess I did see personal application after all.

Board footera