Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/21/2015 10:30 pm  #11

Re: Leviticus

itsjenniferrose wrote:

Leviticus 1

This books forces me to revisit how am I living as a sacrifice and what more can I do? Financially, spiritually and physically.

Amen!

4/22/2015 6:39 am  #12

itsjenniferrose wrote:

Leviticus 1

This books forces me to revisit how am I living as a sacrifice and what more can I do? Financially, spiritually and physically.

Psalm 51:16-17 - For You do not delight in sacrifice, otherwise I would give it; You are not pleased with burnt offering. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; A broken and a contrite heart, O God, You will not despise.

This does not literally mean that God did not want from Israel sacrifices but rather see this interpretation of this verse from the message.

Going through the motions doesn't please you, a flawless performance is nothing to you. I learned God-worship when my pride was shattered. Heart-shattered lives ready for love don't for a moment escape God's notice.

And finally.

Matthew 16:24-25
Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me. "For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it; but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it

This is a good explanation of this verse: What did Jesus mean when He said, “Take up your cross and follow Me”?

4/22/2015 6:56 am  #13

Theresnoplacelike Home wrote:

For now, I believe it means to be especially careful particularly with my words.

Yes this is a renewed focus for me as well. I decided I really need to memorize and mediate on the standard passage on love some more. Sad that I needed to be reminded of this.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Worship is a form of an offering. As we sing with our lips we make a covenant in our hearts. We bind our will with God and the other members of our congregations when we sing His praises.

I love this; what a beautiful image.

There are plenty that show up for a worship service for pure intentions yet so many others who are there for selfish reasons. What will God do for me…might be the heart attitude?

God is looking into our hearts. And he is waiting…

John 4:23
"But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him.  God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”

I pray that that this is our hour individually and collectively as a church. That our worship would not be just lip service but a wholly devoted to God.

An offering holy and acceptable to God from our hearts, to our lips, to His ears.
And may it be a sweet sound in His ear…because whether we sing on tune, in-tune, or somewhere in-between God is pleased and we are blessed. Why? Because we came…  

I will offer up my life in spirit in truth pouring out the oil of love as my worship to you. In surrender I must give my every part. Jesus what can I give…Jesus what can I give…

Very powerful. And John 4:23 is one of my favorite verses and was very meaningful to me in my spiritual growth.

4/22/2015 6:58 am  #14

Leviticus 3

Chapter 1 – burnt offering – the entire thing was burned up - atonement
Chapter 2 – grain offering – dedication/consecration
Chapter 3 – peace offering – reconciliation and fellowship

The offering in chapter 3 is a peace offering that speaks to fellowship so the offering could be male or female.

We also see the theme of shared meals being linked with this fellowship. This offering was not wholly burnt on the altar only the entrails. So, if the priest and the person offering it ate the rest we see a shared meal.

This of course echos the New Testament communion as being a sharing of meal and sharing in fellowship with Christ in His death and resurrection.

4/22/2015 9:57 pm  #15

TBG wrote:

It must be without blemish, the choicest of the flock.

This points to the need for us to give God the best of our lives and efforts – the choicest parts of ourselves.

Scripture 1:4-5
He shall lay his hand on the head of the burnt offering, and it shall be accepted for him to make atonement for him. Then he shall kill the bull before the Lord…

Observation
The person offering the animal had to kill it themselves

Application
This is a reminder to us that we killed Christ. It was our hands that crucified Him because of our sins. Our guilt was laid on Christ.

Great observations. This made me think how far away we are from this. We are not called often enough to the altar to see our sin. Communion happens once a month at my church, yet I sin ever day...
"My spirit is willing but my flesh is so weak..."

Even now as I write this I can think of my sin today and I am ashamed. If only I could be more

4/22/2015 9:59 pm  #16

Hello TBG,

John 4:23 is one of my favorite verses as well. 

Theresnoplacelike Home

4/22/2015 10:52 pm  #17

Leviticus 4:13-14, 27-28  

“‘If the whole Israelite community sins unintentionally and does what is forbidden in any of the Lord’s commands,… when they realize their guilt  and the sin they committed becomes known, the assembly must bring a young bull as a sin offering and present it before the tent of meeting

“‘If any member of the community sins unintentionally and does what is forbidden in any of the Lord’s commands, when they realize their guilt and the sin they have committed becomes known, they must bring as their offering for the sin they committed a female goat without defect.

S  means we act against God
                                      I   means we think about ourselves more than others
                                      N  means we can never undo what we did

I don’t think we get it. I don’t think I get it. Clearly collectively and individually we act against God and think only about ourselves instead of others. Not realizing that we can never take back what we did.

James 4:17
            “If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn’t do it, it is sin for them.”

The sin of omission happens all too often –for me daily—but is not talked enough about at church gatherings or bible study. What is it that you should be doing that you are not?

Growing up I thought sin was an act you committed against God or others. But then somewhere a good bible study teacher explained this verse to me “if anyone knows the good they ought to do and doesn’t so it…it is sin.”

I know God isn’t calling us to be perfect, but I do think he does want more.

1 John 4:20 -21
“ Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen.  And he has given us this command: Anyone who loves God must also love their brother and sister.”

Relationships are a big deal. Learning how to love each other is hard. But if we want to be Jesus’s disciple then we must love one another.

Matthew 22:36-40
                          “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.  This is the first and greatest commandment.  And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Jesus, help me to think about the things I know I should be doing but I am not.” My spirit is willing but my flesh is so weak.” Help me to get to church Sunday mornings and Sunday night. And the other thousand things done that are in my mind. But most importantly help me to fulfill the two greatest commandments to love you and to love others.

1 Corinthians 13:3
“If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.”

Last edited by Theresnoplacelike Home (4/22/2015 10:56 pm)

4/23/2015 5:23 pm  #18

Leviticus 4

Observations
Even when a mistake was made or someone accidentally sinned they still had to take responsibility for it. They personally laid their hands on the bull to symbolize the transfer of sin. But, this also shows their individual culpability.

It is interesting that when a priest or the congregation sinned a bull was sacrificed and the blood was taken into the holy place and sprinkled in front of the veil, and put on the horns of the altar of incense, the rest of the bull was burned outside the camp.

However, if a leader or individual sinned they did not sprinkle the blood or put in on the horns of the altar inside the holy place, but on the horns of the altar of burnt offering in the courtyard. Also, the leader gave a male goat, the individual a female goat.

Seems when priest sin it was more serious due to the fact they scarified a bull and the sprinkling of the blood in the holy place. It seems that they are responsible for the spiritual leadership of the people. Verse 3 says they “bring guilt on the people” by their sin. The priest had the access to God to atone for the sins of the people, so if they sin it is very serious because they are God’s holy representatives.

It may also be that a lay leader’s (non-spiritual leader) sin was more serious by the fact that they had to give a male goat whereas an individual could give a female goat.

Application
When we make a mistake, we should be quick to repent and ask forgiveness. But we now are God’s representatives and priest so this also shows us how serious our “minor” sins and mistakes are. God has called us to a standard of holiness to represent Him before the world.

So, we need to be quick to examine ourselves and repent and not excuse, brush off or tolerate our “little” sins and shortcomings.

This is not to mean we should be riddled with guilt when we make mistakes because “there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus (Rom 8:1). But, it does mean that we need take sin serious and take it serious that we need to grown in spiritual maturity and responsibility.

4/23/2015 9:17 pm  #19

TBG wrote:

Leviticus 4

Application
When we make a mistake, we should be quick to repent and ask forgiveness. But we now are God’s representatives and priest so this also shows us how serious our “minor” sins and mistakes are. God has called us to a standard of holiness to represent Him before the world.

So, we need to be quick to examine ourselves and repent and not excuse, brush off or tolerate our “little” sins and shortcomings.

This is not to mean we should be riddled with guilt when we make mistakes because “there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus (Rom 8:1). But, it does mean that we need take sin serious and take it serious that we need to grown in spiritual maturity and responsibility.

I love this verse Rom 8:1. I agree, the sooner we repent the better.

4/24/2015 12:34 am  #20

Leviticus 4

GMG question
God addresses the issue of sin, which the people were not aware of at the time it occurred. When their sin became known to them, they had to offer a sin offering. When you sin unknowingly how do you ensure you take time to confess it to God once it’s brought to light?

Answer
Every night I pray God forgive me for any sin I didn't know I committed, and bring it to my attention so that I can choose better.

Last edited by itsjenniferrose (4/24/2015 12:36 am)

Board footera