Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/24/2015 10:03 am  #21

Re: Leviticus

itsjenniferrose wrote:

Every night I pray God forgive me for any sin I didn't know I committed, and bring it to my attention so that I can choose better.

That is such a great heart attitude to be willing to hear God's instruction in our lives.

Theresnoplacelike Home wrote:

S means we act against God
I means we think about ourselves more than others
N means we can never undo what we did

Excellent. I love that.

I know God isn’t calling us to be perfect, but I do think he does want more.

Yes, I think of it like birth pangs. God is wanting to take us to a deeper level of commitment, he is birthing something in us but we need to get through the labor to get to the other side.

2 Cor 3:18 says as we reflect on God is is transforming us from glory to glory. "And as the Spirit of the Lord works within us, we become more and more like him and reflect his glory even more.

Relationships are a big deal. Learning how to love each other is hard. But if we want to be Jesus’s disciple then we must love one another.

Yes and truly stop being self-seeking and seeking our own good and own desires

4/24/2015 10:08 am  #22

Leviticus 5

Observations
- It is wrong to come forward with information
- It was wrong to make reckless and rash oaths for either good or evil
- If something was done where restitution was possible, it was paid at a rate of 120%
- Compensation had to be paid even for what we consider minor issues

Applications
Compensation for even minor sins must be paid to reach God’s standards of holiness. This is why we cannot be saved apart from Christ because this is a high standard. So we ask Christ to pay for all our sins so that He credits us with His holiness.

4/26/2015 6:38 pm  #23

Weekly Reading Plan: April 27- May 1

Courtney has her introductory post for this week's reading up on Good Morning Girls.

Monday
Reading: Leviticus 6
Key Verses 6:19-23
Optional Group Thoughts and Discussion Question:
Aaron and the priest made the grain offering of consecration when they were appointed and daily. So daily they consecrated themselves. How can we daily consecrate ourselves to God’s work as His priest on this earth? How does this relate to the call to daily die by daily taking up our cross?

Optional GMG Discussion Question:
How do the offerings in Leviticus 6-7 reflect in Christ's sacrifice and what kind of offerings do we offer the Lord today?

Tuesday
Reading: Leviticus 7
Key Verse 7:20
Optional Group Thoughts and Discussion Question
:
What does this verse say about how sin keeps us from having fellowship with God? How has Christ sacrifice impacted this?

The peace offering represents a shared meal to have fellowship and thanksgiving. What analogies do you see with this and the church in the book of Acts?

How do the offerings in Leviticus 6-7 reflect in Christ's sacrifice and what kind of offerings do we offer the Lord today?

Wednesday
Reading: Leviticus 8
We see the priest (1) washed, (2) clothed, (3) given the Urim and the Thummim for guidance, and (4) given a crown. They respond with consecration and obedience which leads to fellowship.

God has washed us, clothed us with His righteousness, given us His Holy Spirit for guidance and given us a crown of life. In return we should be respond with consecration and pursue fellowship with God. How can we better pursue fellowship with God?

In Leviticus 8-9, Aaron's sons were consecrated and released to minister to the Israelites. 1 Peter 2:9 says that we are a royal priesthood. In what way does the Lord use you to minister to the body of Christ?

Thursday
Reading: Leviticus 9
Key Verses 9:6,24
Optional Group Thoughts and Discussion Question
:
We see (1) repentance and atonement with the offering of the sin offering and (2) obedience in following all the God had laid out for them down to the smallest details. This resulted in God’s presence in a mighty way in verse 24.

How do the people respond to God’s presence? How is our response to God similar or different from the people of Israel in this verse? Do we have the same sense of God’s wonder, power and holiness? Why or why not? How is this illustrated in our lives? How can be better cultivate this?

In Leviticus 8-9, Aaron's sons were consecrated and released to minister to the Israelites. 1 Peter 2:9 says that we are a royal priesthood. In what way does the Lord use you to minister to the body of Christ?

Friday
Reading: Leviticus 10
How do we fail to worship God in ways that are pleasing to Him? Do we or our society tend to give God what we want to give Him and not what He has asked of us? In what ways?

Last edited by TBG (4/27/2015 9:43 pm)

4/26/2015 6:45 pm  #24

Overview of Leviticus 6-10

Courtney has her introductory post for this week's reading up on Good Morning Girls. This always provides excellent insight.

In these chapters, we further discuss some of the offerings previously mentioned.

Trespass offering 6:1-7, 7:1-7 (Chapter 5) - Note in chapter 6:1-7 that the people made restitution to God and to the person injured. In chapter 7:1-7 we see that the sacrifice was eaten by the priest.

Burnt Offering 6:8-13, 7:8 (Chapter 1) - It was completely incinerated, nothing was eaten by anyone; it was totally given to God, totally consumed by the Lord.

Grain offering 6:14, 7:9-10 (Chapter 2) – it represented dedication and consecration for the priest, but could also be given for homage and thanksgiving.

Peace offering 7:11-21 (Chapter 3) – reconciliation and fellowship – sharing of a meal

Note with the peace offering, the person ate part of the sacrifice including the unleavened bread. But verse 13 also states that the sacrifice was to be eaten with leavened bread. Why would leavened bread be included if the leaven represents sin and unleavened bread was for holy use?

Well, the peace offering was an offering of fellowship and relationship. It is not about atonement for sin or trespass. Shared meals represent the fellowship and thanksgiving and the leavened bread allowed for an enjoyable meal to

The Matthew Henry commentary has a good explanation of this.
If the peace-offering was offered for a thanksgiving, a meat-offering must be offered with it, cakes of several sorts, and wafers (v. 12), and (which was peculiar to the peace-offerings) leavened bread must be offered, not to be burnt upon the altar, that was forbidden ch. 2:11 ), but to be eaten with the flesh of the sacrifice, that nothing might be wanting to make it a complete and pleasant feast;

Matthew Henry has great insight of each chapter of the entire Bible! There is also a Matthew Henry Concise Commentary as well.

In chapters 8-9 we see the consecration of the priest.

Chapter 10 we see that Nadab and Abihu did this “contrary to his command” (vs 1). So they knew they were not supposed to do this. We see that Exodus 30:9 clearly instructed them not to do this. “Do not offer on this altar any other incense or any burnt offering or grain offering, and do not pour a drink offering on it.”

Verse 3 explains: "This is what the LORD spoke of when he said: " 'Among those who approach me I will show myself holy; in the sight of all the people I will be honored.' " Aaron remained silent.

So, they were dishonoring God in front of the nation and defiling what God had made holy. Aaron’s silence may indicate that he had no argument against this, thus sadly agreeing with the justice of the situation.

Matthew Henry’s opinion is that if it had been done through ignorance, they had been allowed to bring a sin-offering. But they acted presumptuously, and in contempt of God's majesty and justice.

Additional insights for each chapter are included in the “Optional Group Discussion Questions” found in the post for this week’s reading assignment.

Last edited by TBG (4/27/2015 9:41 pm)

4/27/2015 9:00 pm  #25

Leviticus 6

Scripture 6:2

"If anyone sins and commits a breach of faith against the LORD by

By harming our neighbors we commit a breach against God. I wonder how often we think of that when we want to less than gracious or unkind to someone else that we are offending God.

With the trespass offering the person had to make restitution to both God and the person offended to the tune of 120%. I wonder if the extra 20% is for punitive damages or to make up for the non-monetary hassle to the injured party?

Scripture 6:10-11
And the priest shall put on his linen garment and put his linen undergarment on his body, and he shall take up the ashes to which the fire has reduced the burnt offering on the altar and put them beside the altar. Then he shall take off his garments and put on other garments and carry the ashes outside the camp to a clean place.

We see that the sin had been completely taken away. What a beautiful illustration of God’s forgiveness.

Scripture 6:12-13
The fire on the altar shall be kept burning on it; it shall not go out. The priest shall burn wood on it every morning, and he shall arrange the burnt offering on it and shall burn on it the fat of the peace offerings. Fire shall be kept burning on the altar continually; it shall not go out.

The priest are offering continual offerings for forgiveness. Jesus was sacrifice once, for all. His blood was more efficacious (effective or powerful) than the blood of bulls (Hebrews 9-10). However, Jesus continually is before the father making intercession for us. (Hebrews 7:25)

4/28/2015 7:24 am  #26

Leviticus 7

Scripture 7:20

But the person who eats of the flesh of the sacrifice of the Lord’s peace offerings while an uncleaness is on him, that person shall be cut off from his people

Cleaness was symbolic of holiness. We need to be clean (pure of heart) to come before God for fellowship. Christ has clothes us in His righteousness so that we can now boldly go before God.

Hebrews 4:16 So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most.

Ephesians 3:11-12 This was in accordance with the eternal purpose which He carried out in Christ Jesus our Lord, in whom we have boldness and confident access through faith in Him.

4/29/2015 1:42 pm  #27

Leviticus 8

We read here about the consecration of the priests. We are also priest (1 Peter 2:5,9). We have been consecrated, or set apart and devoted to God’s service by the blood of Christ.

In consecrating the priest, it talks about placing the blood on the ear, thumb, and toe. Now, we don’t want to over spiritualize the Word and we want to always read it in context. The context of this passage is an historical narrative of how Aaron was anointed as priest. There does not appear to be any deeper meaning here. However, it just made me think of a metaphor for how I should serve before the Lord. I should hear His word, do His work, and walk in His ways. Again, this is not what this passage means. I just saw it as a neat metaphor.

This chapter also mentioned the wave offering. The wave offering was where the priest would wave the offering toward heaven to symbolize that the offering was the Lord’s although the priest was allowed to have it. This illustrates that it is God’s offering; it belongs to Him; He is just allowing the priest to have it.

It made me realize that we should really symbolically “wave” all that we have before God as well, all our possessions, talents, finances. We need to be reminded that all we have belongs to the Lord; it is His. God just allows us to have some of it. We don’t deserve more money, more possessions, more talent because it all belongs to God. We should be grateful that He has shared a portion with us.

4/30/2015 1:19 am  #28

Leviticus 8

GMG question
God has washed us, clothed us with His righteousness, given us His Holy Spirit for guidance and given us a crown of life. In return we should be respond with consecration and pursue fellowship with God. How can we better pursue fellowship with God?

Answer
Prayer... I think we could offer more prayer and worship.  I think fellowshipping more with others and not being afraid to connect and be open is apart of pursuing fellowship with God.

Last edited by itsjenniferrose (4/30/2015 1:20 am)

4/30/2015 8:29 am  #29

itsjenniferrose wrote:

Prayer... I think we could offer more prayer and worship.  I think fellowshipping more with others and not being afraid to connect and be open is apart of pursuing fellowship with God.

Great thought, especially the part about having open and transparent relationships with other believers.

Leviticus 9

Scripture 9:23-24

And Moses and Aaron went into the tent of meeting, and when they came out they blessed the people, and the glory of the LORD appeared to all the people. And fire came out from before the LORD and consumed the burnt offering and the pieces of fat on the altar, and when all the people saw it, they shouted and fell on their faces.

Observation
The people responded in prostration, falling on their face. This shows completely recognition of His authority over them and their subjugation to Him. That they are subordinate to God.

Application
It is easy to lose sight of God’s power and holiness and to lack wonder of Him. I think it because we don’t frequently see physical manifestations. But, as true believers we have the Holy Spirit dwelling in us which confirms our sense of God’s power in our lives:
- when we look at how He has forgiven us, given us peace, joy and acceptance
- when we comprehend how sinful and unworthy we are and yet experience His vast, deep, and steadfast love and acceptance of us
- when we think of how greatly God values us and desires us

I think we can cultivate a mindfulness of this by looking at this passage. When they worshiped God in obedience and purity, His glory appears. So, by daily repentance, obedience and worship we can remain mindful of God’s glory.

Hopefully our response will also be to lay down our lives in complete submission to Him and to show Him reverence in how we live and in our heart’s attitudes and desires.

Great passage today.

5/01/2015 12:25 am  #30

Leviticus 10:12
“ Moses said to Aaron and his remaining sons, Eleazar and Ithamar, “Take the grain offering left over from the food offerings prepared without yeast and presented to the Lord and eat it beside the altar, for it is most holy.

Take Me In

“Take me past the outer courts into the holy place, past the brazen Lord I want to see your face.
Take me past the crowds of people and the priests who sing your praise. Lord I hunger and thirst for your righteousness, but its only found in one place…
Take me in to the Holy of holies
Take in by the blood of the lamb.
Take me into the holy of holies
Take the coal, touch my lips hear I am”
By: Kutless

Holiness

I want that.
As I hear the chorus this is what I want:
To be close not distant.
To be embraced not forgotten.
To be part of something beautiful.

What a frustrating situation for the commoner who wanted so much to be close to God before the death and resurrection of God.

It seemed there were priest anointed to go into the inner most holy places of the tabernacle, but people like you and I would not be permitted that access.

Praise God, that I am no longer distanced from His presence. When He died and rose again the veil was torn in two and the tabernacle and altars were no longer needed.

You see because God was the final sacrifice. We are welcomed in now too ….to…The Holy of Holies.
As we each inter in let us remember the example of both Nadab and Abihu

Leviticus 10:1
“Then Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, each took his censer and put fire in it, put incense on it, and offered profane fire before the Lord, which He had not commanded them.  So fire went out from the Lord and devoured them, and they died before the Lord”

The lack of respect and reverence for God was apparent. They did not use the fire that was permitted and chose fire that was common. It seems that had forgotten how precious these commandments that were given were.
Praise be to God that I can enter in to the Holy of Holies.

And when I do am I reverent, repentant, and respectful. Because if I am not careful with my words and heart attitude the judgement of God is still found today. Let us not forget.

It is often spoken about the disciples that Peter, James, and John were closer to God then the others. I often wonder, is that because they wanted to know him more or did God chose them. Honestly, I think it was a combination of the two.

The idea is if we desire to be close to God all we have to do is try:  by being in his word, praying without ceasing, and worshiping God through our life.

The bible tells us that when two or more or gathered he is there in our mist.
Yet, the Holy Spirit is a person residing inside of us. And when we dine, and allow Him to teach us and minister us we are in a scared place. We enter into His presence. We are guided, anointed, and  touched. And it happens right where we are.

When we feel alone we are not. If we desire more we only need to ask.

“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.”
(Matthew 7:7)
“But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.”
(Matthew 6:33)

All who are thirsty 

Theresnoplacelike Home

Last edited by Theresnoplacelike Home (5/01/2015 12:30 am)

Board footera