Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/12/2015 11:58 pm  #51

Re: Leviticus

Pride is a big one. I think we forget how big a role pride plays in our lives without noticing it. And it will trip us up everytime. It's easy to see it in others, but less so in ourselves. God, forgive us of our pride and help us to slow down and be aware of it, so we can become better And grab ahold of everything you have in store for us.

Theresnoplacelike Home wrote:

Leviticus 17:7
“They shall no more offer their sacrifices to demons, after whom they have played the harlot. This shall be a statute forever for them throughout their generations.”’

I think we don’t always realize when we stray from God that we are going towards a path of destruction that is ruled by Satan.

In Revelations 3: 15 God says:
“I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot.  So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, will I vomit you out of my mouth”

This verse sounds so brash when you first read it. But when you take a closer look and see the overarching themes in the bible of people being easily ensnared in sin. You read this verse differently as a loving father trying to protect his family. You see when we are on the fence it is easy to slowly engage in demonic activity because so much of the world is that. Whether its gossip, pride, inhospitality, bitterness, anger, we are engaging in behaviors that are not pleasing to God. And can eventually led to our demise. Pride is one of the sins in the bible that is often revered as the worst as them all. In fact, it was this very sin of pride that caused Satan to stumble and be forced out of heaven.  

Sacrificing to demons has many layers. It is not just an activity. It is an attitude of the heart that says yes to sin and no to God. Because you see you can’t have it both ways.

Matthew 6:24
No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other.

Today, I am remembering yesterday to learn from my mistakes. While also hoping for a better tomorrow. And making the best out of this day. Amen.

Blessings,
Angela

5/13/2015 12:22 am  #52

Leviticus 17

Observation
God is not playing around with the Israelites.  He's being strict on them so they create a habit of sacrificing and humbly  proclaiming their faith out in the open at the entrance of The Tent of Meeting. He wants the worshipping to false idols to cease.

Application
Habits for us to form are study and mediation of the word, relying on God for all the answers through prayer and worship.  Keep these at the forefront of our minds will help us resist temptation from the idols of this world that keep getting more and more esteemed through social media. We have to learn to shut off at some points and connect with God.

Here's a great scripture from Galatians I love to medicate on
19 It is obvious what kind of life develops out of trying to get your own way all the time: repetitive, loveless, cheap sex; a stinking accumulation of mental and emotional garbage; frenzied and joyless grabs for happiness; trinket gods; magic-show religion; paranoid loneliness; cutthroat competition; all-consuming-yet-never-satisfied wants; a brutal temper; an impotence to love or be loved; divided homes and divided lives; small-minded and lopsided pursuits; the vicious habit of depersonalizing everyone into a rival; uncontrolled and uncontrollable addictions; ugly parodies of community. I could go on. This isn’t the first time I have warned you, you know. If you use your freedom this way, you will not inherit God’s kingdom.

22 But what happens when we live God’s way? He brings gifts into our lives, much the same way that fruit appears in an orchard—things like affection for others, exuberance about life, serenity. We develop a willingness to stick with things, a sense of compassion in the heart, and a conviction that a basic holiness permeates things and people. We find ourselves involved in loyal commitments, not needing to force our way in life, able to marshal and direct our energies wisely. (‭Galatians‬ ‭5‬:‭19, 22‬ MSG)

And more:
5 Don’t be obsessed with getting more material things. Be relaxed with what you have. Since God assured us, “I’ll never let you down, never walk off and leave you,” we can boldly quote, God is there, ready to help; I’m fearless no matter what. Who or what can get to me? (‭Hebrews‬ ‭13‬:‭5‬ MSG)

Last edited by itsjenniferrose (5/13/2015 12:24 am)

5/13/2015 12:30 am  #53

itsjenniferrose wrote:

Leviticus 17

Application
Habits for us to form are study and mediation of the word, relying on God for all the answers through prayer and worship. Keep these at the forefront of our minds will help us resist temptation from the idols of this world that keep getting more and more esteemed through social media. We have to learn to shut off at some points and connect with God.

22 But what happens when we live God’s way? He brings gifts into our lives, much the same way that fruit appears in an orchard—things like affection for others, exuberance about life, serenity. We develop a willingness to stick with things, a sense of compassion in the heart, and a conviction that a basic holiness permeates things and people. We find ourselves involved in loyal commitments, not needing to force our way in life, able to marshal and direct our energies wisely. (‭Galatians‬ ‭5‬:‭19, 22‬ MSG)

And more:
5 Don’t be obsessed with getting more material things. Be relaxed with what you have. Since God assured us, “I’ll never let you down, never walk off and leave you,” we can boldly quote, God is there, ready to help; I’m fearless no matter what. Who or what can get to me? (‭Hebrews‬ ‭13‬:‭5‬ MSG)

I love the verse you choice from Galations 5!  I agree that social media can be a double edge sword. It can be good. But can also be an idol if we use it with selfish intent. I think balance is what we need to find in the mist of technology. Great points. Thanks for sharing,

5/13/2015 9:17 pm  #54

Leviticus 18

SOAK Verse 18:3-4:
You shall not do as they do in the land of Egypt, where you lived, and you shall not do as they do in the land of Canaan, to which I am bringing you. You shall not walk in their statutes. You shall follow my rules and keep my statutes and walk in them. I am the LORD your God.

Observation
The biggest point that stands out to me is God wants us to set ourselves apart and follow his way of living no matter where we are. He strongly warns against adopting a culture's way. God advocates the opposite of doing as the Romans' do.

A great verse I like reflect on:
5 The world is unprincipled. It’s dog-eat-dog out there! The world doesn’t fight fair. But we don’t live or fight our battles that way—never have and never will. The tools of our trade aren’t for marketing or manipulation, but they are for demolishing that entire massively corrupt culture. We use our powerful God-tools for smashing warped philosophies, tearing down barriers erected against the truth of God, fitting every loose thought and emotion and impulse into the structure of life shaped by Christ. Our tools are ready at hand for clearing the ground of every obstruction and building lives of obedience into maturity. (‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭10‬:‭5‬ MSG)

Last edited by itsjenniferrose (5/13/2015 9:22 pm)

5/14/2015 8:04 pm  #55

Leviticus 19:18 “Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone among your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the Lord.

Sometimes when we have a “falling out” with an unbeliever it is easy to rationalize it—even if we are wrong. We say, “Well, it’s because they are not a Christian…”

But, what about when they are…

Human beings are imperfect –Christians are imperfect.

And sometimes we can miss up big time. We can lack grace or compassion. Other times we may lack a sense of boundaries by not letting others know that what they are doing is wrong. I love that the bible tells us to speak the truth.  But to “speak the truth in love.”

You see love does not tolerate sin, it confronts it in a gentle manner. Remember too that the bible says it’s his goodness that leads us to repentance.” It should always be from our love and sincerity of heart that we bring the sin of another into the open. Because that is the kind of courteous we would like shown to us.

It’s about being gracious and acknowledging that we are no better than any other even in their darkest moment.

But still knowing this…we seem to hold grudges. It’s hard to forgive completely. Especially, when it’s a “fall out” with someone in the family of God.  I think with prayer, godly counsel, and empathy forgiveness is always possible. But it’s hard.

Wounds…

Some wounds are not meant to heal. God’s nail scarred hands will forever be scarred. Some of our battle wounds will never go away on this side of earth. But in eternity quite possible?

I carry wounds and many are from broken relationships with members of the church. But if I look towards Jesus the author and finisher of our faith…I know it was always a part of his plan. My wounds are real they will always be part of me, but they do not define me. Forgiveness mends but some scars stay forever.

Do you have a wound that is not healed? Maybe, this is all part of God’s intricate part of God’s plan.

Lord help me to forgive. Lord help me to forget. Lord help me to not hold grudges. You are mighty and holy fully God and fully man. You hung on a tree for my sake. And you did not retaliate. I know I am only human, but if I could be a more loving and forgiving person …I could make this world a better place. Lord forgive me for I am a sinner saved by grace. Amen

Blessings,

Theresnoplacelike Home

Last edited by Theresnoplacelike Home (5/14/2015 8:06 pm)

5/16/2015 1:40 am  #56

Leviticus 19

This scripture really stood out to me:
“Don’t pervert justice. Don’t show favoritism to either the poor or the great. Judge on the basis of what is right. (‭Leviticus‬ ‭19‬:‭15‬ MSG)

We live in a time where we put a lot of weight on the rich and powerful, we either assume they're awesome or bad people , and usually have empathy and sympathy for the poor. We are not allowed to Make Judgements or treat people differently. We need to regard all people the same.

5/16/2015 1:43 am  #57

This is a beautiful prayer.

Theresnoplacelike Home wrote:

Lord help me to forgive. Lord help me to forget. Lord help me to not hold grudges. You are mighty and holy fully God and fully man. You hung on a tree for my sake. And you did not retaliate. I know I am only human, but if I could be a more loving and forgiving person …I could make this world a better place. Lord forgive me for I am a sinner saved by grace. Amen

Blessings,

Theresnoplacelike Home

5/18/2015 8:37 am  #58

Weekly Reading: May 18-22

Sorry, I have not been participating ladies. I am out of town again. So, I leave the hotel room early and get back late and exhausted. But, I have read my chapters, just have not typed up thoughts to post.

Likewise, I did an overview of our next chapters. I thought I brought it with me to post, but I can't find my notes. So, I must have left them at home. I will incorporate some thoughts into the discussion section of the reading plan as I go through it during this week. Right now I have Monday and Tuesday up.

Monday
Reading: Leviticus 21
Chapter Overview
Regarding whom the priest could marry, remember the context here. This is to Israel who does not have the Holy Spirit inside of them and the priest is their connection to God. The priest has access to the perfection of God and later, we see Jesus is the ultimate high priest (Heb 2:7, 4:14). So the priest needed to perfectly model the union of Christ and the church. This is not to put down widows or other women. In the NT it says that there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ and are the called. It also says, that we were all sinners, but we were washed, sanctified, and justified.

Even more challenging are the verses regarding those with physical challenges. To further discuss this, please read two excellent discussions on this. Is God Against the Deformed? Come Before God in Purity – this was written by Joni Eareckson Tada a quadriplegic believer who has a prominent ministry. And a 27 minute documentary addressing God's love for those with disabilities.

Optional GMG Discussion Question:
After looking at all of the requirements of the priest of the Old Testament, how does that affect or change your view of Christ?

Tuesday
Reading: Leviticus 22
Optional Group Discussion
Levitucus 22:3-7
To come before God unworthy is a serious offense. Compare with 1 Corinthians 11:27-30 which discusses new covenant believers coming before God in communion in an inappropriate manner.

Levitucus 22:29 (two different translations)
And when you sacrifice a sacrifice of thanksgiving to the LORD, you shall sacrifice it so that you may be accepted. (ESV)
And when you offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving to the Lord, offer it of your own free will. (NKJV)

Compare this verse with Psalm 51:16-17, Luke 11:42, John 4:23.
What does this tell us about what God really wants from us and how God sees our offerings and sacrifices? God does not want robots, He wants people who worship Him out of their love for Him and out of their hearts. He does not want external religious activities, but to act with integrity and to act rightly, in love and selflessness.

Wednesday
Reading: Leviticus 23
Chapter Overview
Christ fulfills Israel’s Feast (from my Bible notes in the John MacArthur Study Bible)
Passover (14th) – Death of Christ (1 Cor 5:7)
Unleavened Bread (15th-21st) – Sinlessness of Christ (1 Cor 5:8)
Firstfruits (16th) – Resurrection of Christ (1 Cor 15:23)
Feast of Weeks (Pentacost) – Outpouring of the Holy Spirit (Acts 1:5, 2:4)
Trumpets – Re-gathering by Christ (Matthew 24:31)
Atonement – Christ’s substitutionary sacrifice (Romans 11)
Booths – Rest and Reunion with Christ (Zechariah 14:16-19)

Thursday
Reading: Leviticus 24

Friday
Reading: Leviticus 25
Optional GMG Discussion Question:
The year of jubilee was a time to free the people from bondage, it was a time for liberty and restoration. The year of jubilee is a picture of what life would be like under the reign of Christ.

Christ is our jubilee, His death on the cross brough us liberty and restoration! How dow this truth coupled with the old testament jubilee affect your outlook on Christ?

Last edited by TBG (5/26/2015 8:29 pm)

5/19/2015 11:08 pm  #59

Leviticus 23:3

“‘There are six days when you may work, but the seventh day is a day of Sabbath rest, a day of sacred assembly. You are not to do any work; wherever you live, it is a Sabbath to the Lord.”

I am in complete agreement with this law. It is so important to get our rest. I think that taking time to slow down and give thanks to God is vital to our well-being. As we learn more about sickness. It has become apparent that one attribute that contributes to illnesses is stress. How do we become stressed? Well, it starts when we forget to balance our life with the correct priorities and take time to rest.  

I learned this lesson the hard way. I wasn’t one to sit and take time for a break when I was younger. I suffered the consequences by having to take considerable amounts of time of work for extended medical leaves, primarily due to illness, that were triggered by stress.  

Even as I write this, I am thinking of my dear step sister who is ill. She was starting a new job with two small children, and I know she was under too much stress.

Dear God,

I know it is hard to take the time to slow down. It seems our worlds fall upside down when we take a break. But somehow if we make a deliberate plan to be still and quiet one day each week. I know you will provide and fill all of our needs. I pray for everyone including myself in this study who need to remember to rest. You are God. You know what’s best. Help me to follow so that I can be a reflection of the peace you want me to have and receive…

Theresnoplacelike Home

Last edited by Theresnoplacelike Home (5/19/2015 11:10 pm)

5/21/2015 12:16 am  #60

Leviticus 23

Scripture:
“Be careful to celebrate the Day of Atonement on the tenth day of that same month—nine days after the Festival of Trumpets. You must observe it as an official day for holy assembly, a day to deny yourselves and present special gifts to the LORD. (‭Leviticus‬ ‭23‬:‭27‬ NLT)"

Observation:
Throughout this chapter, repeatedly,  God tells us to rest on the sabbath and deny ourselves ,giving sacrifice to Him.  This actually benefits us. We have to take rest in God and offer our relaxed and free time to God and to commune with others. This is what life is about. Taking rest, reflecting, slowing down.

I love what @theresnoplacelikehome says! I fall victim of never feeling like I'm doing enough or taking on too much. We must put an end to it and be real with ourselves about what we can handle. We can't sacrifice our own wellbeing for the sake of others or work. Otherwise, we are no good for anyone.

There's a great scripture I love that's fitting for this study:

But what happens when we live God’s way? He brings gifts into our lives, much the same way that fruit appears in an orchard—things like affection for others, exuberance about life, serenity. We develop a willingness to stick with things, a sense of compassion in the heart, and a conviction that a basic holiness permeates things and people. We find ourselves involved in loyal commitments, not needing to force our way in life, able to marshal and direct our energies wisely. But what happens when we live God’s way? He brings gifts into our lives, much the same way that fruit appears in an orchard—things like affection for others, exuberance about life, serenity. We develop a willingness to stick with things, a sense of compassion in the heart, and a conviction that a basic holiness permeates things and people. We find ourselves involved in loyal commitments, not needing to force our way in life, able to marshal and direct our energies wisely. Legalism is helpless in bringing this about; it only gets in the way. Among those who belong to Christ, everything connected with getting our own way and mindlessly responding to what everyone else calls necessities is killed off for good—crucified. (‭Galatians‬ ‭5‬:‭22-23‬ MSG)

Last edited by itsjenniferrose (5/21/2015 12:21 am)

Board footera