Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/21/2015 10:37 pm  #61

Re: Leviticus

Leviticus 24

Scripture
“Anyone who hits and kills a fellow human must be put to death. Anyone who kills someone’s animal must make it good—a life for a life. Anyone who injures his neighbor will get back the same as he gave: fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth. What he did to hurt that person will be done to him. Anyone who hits and kills an animal must make it good, but whoever hits and kills a fellow human will be put to death. And no double standards: the same rule goes for foreigners and natives. I am GOD, your God.” (‭Leviticus‬ ‭24‬:‭17-22‬ MSG)

Application
So do unto others as you want to be done to you. Plain and simple. This is a reminder To be cognizant of  how we treat strangers, those we love and work with. God is very strict on this and we should be strict with ourselves on this.

Prayer
God, thank you for your grace. Help us to be mindful of sure of our intentions when dealing with others, and to treat each other with love and kindness...not letting anger get the best of us.

5/23/2015 11:17 pm  #62

Leviticus 25

Show your fear of God by not taking advantage of each other. I am the LORD your God. (‭Leviticus‬ ‭25‬:‭17‬ NLT)

“If you want to live securely in the land, follow my decrees and obey my regulations. Then the land will yield large crops, and you will eat your fill and live securely in it. But you might ask, ‘What will we eat during the seventh year, since we are not allowed to plant or harvest crops that year?’ Be assured that I will send my blessing for you in the sixth year, so the land will produce a crop large enough for three years. (‭Leviticus‬ ‭25‬:‭18-21‬ NLT)

Observation
These verses are great.  It prompted me to ask myself these questions: am I being faithful And patient that God will provide for me financially tenfold beyond what I can comprehend? And also am I taking advantage of the weaknesses of those closest to me without realizing it? 

We have to stay in prayer and continuosly be reminded of Gods power and what he can, has done and will do in our lives.  Amen!

5/25/2015 2:11 pm  #63

Leviticus 26:13

“ I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that you should not be their slaves; I have broken the bands of your yoke and made you walk upright
.”

What this verse means to me is that God wants to do the impossible in our lives. It was only through Him, who can do miracles that the Israelites were able to be rescued from Egypt. We all need to be rescued. We all need a Savior. What do you need rescuing from today? Do you believe God wants to be your hero?

Matthew 17:20

“ So Jesus said to them, “Because of your unbelief; for assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you. 21 However, this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting.”

Sometimes we may be hoping for something but our lack of faith prevents God’s hand from reaching out and healing that situation. And then sometimes when we are believing we may need to go deeper through fasting and prayer – possibly even collectively.

2 Chronicles 17:14

“if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”

Have a wonderful Memorial Day,

Theresnoplacelike Home

Last edited by Theresnoplacelike Home (5/25/2015 2:15 pm)

5/25/2015 2:25 pm  #64

itsjenniferrose wrote:

Leviticus 24

Scripture
“Anyone who hits and kills a fellow human must be put to death. Anyone who kills someone’s animal must make it good—a life for a life. Anyone who injures his neighbor will get back the same as he gave: fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth. What he did to hurt that person will be done to him. Anyone who hits and kills an animal must make it good, but whoever hits and kills a fellow human will be put to death. And no double standards: the same rule goes for foreigners and natives. I am GOD, your God.” (‭Leviticus‬ ‭24‬:‭17-22‬ MSG)

Application
So do unto others as you want to be done to you. Plain and simple. This is a reminder To be cognizant of how we treat strangers, those we love and work with. God is very strict on this and we should be strict with ourselves on this.

Prayer
God, thank you for your grace. Help us to be mindful of sure of our intentions when dealing with others, and to treat each other with love and kindness...not letting anger get the best of us.

Amen! I agree completely. I think that more and more our love for one another has grown cold. And it is important to always be kind. Kindness amongest strangers is so important. We are the hands and feet of God.  Don't ever forget that you can be the miracle that someone has been waiting for through a simple act of kindness.

1 Corinthians 13:4

"Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil;   does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth;   bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things."

5/26/2015 9:53 am  #65

I am back in town. Sorry about not being too active last week and half. Hope everyone had a blessed Memorial Day and took a few moments to honor those who have fallen to preserve our freedoms.

Thanks for carrying on with such great discussion.

Only 2 Days of reading this week. Then we take a break until June 15th where we come back with Proverbs.  Check out the Good Morning Girl postfor more information.

Good Morning Girl intro to the last two chapters is up.

This Weeks Reading Assignment
Leviticus 26: Rewards for Obedience / Punishment for Disobedience
Leviticus 26 gives us the blessings for keeping God's covenant, curses for breaking that covenant, but then it ends with forgiveness. In what way has the Lord's forgiveness to you released blessing?

Leviticus 27:  Redeeming What Is the Lord’s
Leviticus ends with the Lord setting strong regulations around vows made to Him and items consecrated for Holy use. He did this to prevent people from making foolish or hasty vows without first considering what they were committing to. This would also prevent them from forgetting their vow or taking it lightly. What have you vowed to the Lord? Have you kept that vow to Him?

5/26/2015 9:08 pm  #66

Leviticus 19
Verse 3: They were to revere (reverence, honor, respect) our parents and honor God by keeping the Sabbath (Note this does not say adult children obey their parents but that children respect parents. There is a difference.)

Verses 17-18 You shall not hate your brother in your heart, but you shall reason frankly with your neighbor, lest you incur sin because of him. You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the LORD.

These are consistent to the sermon on the mount. This is very challenging.

Leviticus 20
Verse 7: Consecrate yourselves, therefore, and be holy, for I am the LORD your God.

This makes me think about how we should consecrate ourselves and be holy because God is Lord – the ruler and authority of our lives

23-26
Israel was not to walk in the customs of the nations around them. God was separating Israel to preserve a God-fearing line for the Messiah. We see this in all the symbolic distinctions being made and all the separating. This is ceremonial and symbolic of their distinctions as people of God.

We should not walk according the ways of this world and according to what this world says is acceptable. We are not necessarily to be that separate and go around trying to make symbolic distinctions to that extent – we are in the world. Jesus ate with sinners. But we are to be a distinct people not because of rituals or eating but attitudes, love, purity, holiness, honoring God, faithfulness and living above reproach, and not engaging in any sinful ways of the world.

5/26/2015 9:09 pm  #67

Leviticus 21
21:6 They shall be holy to their God and not profane the name of their God. For they offer the LORD's food offerings, the bread of their God; therefore they shall be holy.

We are NT priest and Christ is our high priest. We should be holy and not profane the name of God.

Verse 7 comments: The OT priest were to represent God’s perfect will of a perfect union to model the union between God and His people just as the Church and Christ model a perfect union.

Verse 8 You shall sanctify him, for he offers the bread of your God. He shall be holy to you, for I, the LORD, who sanctify you, am holy.

Focus on being sanctified and holy to take part in the eating of the bread of God.

The rest of the chapter makes me think that we should offer God what is perfect in our life. God’s standard is absolute moral perfection, which can only be met through the blood of Christ.

5/26/2015 9:10 pm  #68

Leviticus 22
22:3 Say to them, 'If any one of all your offspring throughout your generations approaches the holy things that the people of Israel dedicate to the LORD, while he has an uncleanness, that person shall be cut off from my presence: I am the LORD.

21:8 You shall sanctify him, for he offers the bread of your God. He shall be holy to you, for I, the LORD, who sanctify you, am holy.

19:5 When you offer a sacrifice of peace offerings to the LORD, you shall offer it so that you may be accepted.

I see a reoccurring theme that they should sacrifice in a manner that will be acceptable.

This makes me think of 1 Corinthians 11:27-30: Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For he who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. For this reason many are weak and sick among you, and many sleep.

We should examine ourselves when we come to the Lord’s table to repent of our sins, forgive others, and have reverence and respect for our communion with Him.

The rest of the chapter dealing with perfection in the priest and in the offering makes me think of the concept that anything we offer to God must be perfect. We will never be perfect and what we offer to God will never be perfect but this is a standard we should aim for to give God what is pure and “perfect” in our lives and not give Him the leftovers or castoffs, or that which we did not want or value anyway.

5/26/2015 9:10 pm  #69

Leviticus 23
The Sabbath acknowledges that just as all our possessions and money belong t God, so does our time. My time belongs to God and He should get the best part of it with undivided focus. This is much harder for me than giving God my money and passions.

The feast commemorate God’s work and deliverance of Israel. They are a reminder to point Israel to God and to help them remember God’s work and be mindful of His work. We have the exhortation to meditate on God’s Word and the Holy Spirit in us to bring to mind God’s word.

Christ fulfills Israel’s Feast (from my Bible notes in the John MacArthur Study Bible)
Passover (14th) – Death of Christ (1 Cor 5:7)
Unleavened Bread (15th-21st) – Sinlessness of Christ (1 Cor 5:8)
Firstfruits (16th) – Resurrection of Christ (1 Cor 15:23)
Feast of Weeks (Pentacost) – Outpouring of the Holy Spirit (Acts 1:5, 2:4)
Trumpets – Re-gathering by Christ (Matthew 24:31)
Atonement – Christ’s substitutionary sacrifice (Romans 11)
Booths – Rest and Reunion with Christ (Zechariah 14:16-19)

5/26/2015 9:11 pm  #70

Leviticus 25
25:20 And if you say, 'What shall we eat in the seventh year, if we may not sow or gather in our crop?'
 I will command my blessing on you in the sixth year, so that it will produce a crop sufficient for three years.

God supplied the means to fulfill what He commanded. Note, what He commanded, not what the people hoped He commanded, or thought He commanded or what they wanted themselves.

Again in these verses you see how slavery was different from what we thing when it speaks of the slaves becoming wealthy while serving. See a post on this from Exodus study.

Board footera