Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/25/2015 8:39 pm  #51

Re: Proverbs

Passionflower wrote:

Proverbs 8 verses 22-31, which starts: 'The Lord possessed me at the beginning of His way, before His works of old'
What does anyone think this means?

Apart from that, I get that this proverb is about the value of wisdom. Grateful for anyone's thoughts on my question

22 "The Lord possessed me at the beginning of His way, Before His works of old. 23 I have been established from everlasting, From the beginning, before there was ever an earth. 24 When there were no depths I was brought forth, When there were no fountains abounding with water. 25 Before the mountains were settled, Before the hills, I was brought forth; 26 While as yet He had not made the earth or the fields, Or the primeval dust of the world. 27 When He prepared the heavens, I was there, When He drew a circle on the face of the deep, 28 When He established the clouds above, When He strengthened the fountains of the deep, 29 When He assigned to the sea its limit, So that the waters would not transgress His command, When He marked out the foundations of the earth, 30 Then I was beside Him as a master craftsman; And I was daily His delight, Rejoicing always before Him, 31 Rejoicing in His inhabited world, And my delight was with the sons of men.

I interpreted that as wisdom personified speaking. So it is saying that from the beginning God possessed wisdom and through wisdom He created everything. Before His works of old - before the creation. Before there was an earth, before He separated the waters in Genesis 1, etc. It is personifying wisdom so it says wisdom was beside Him acting as His craftsman. So this is metaphor; there was not a separate person "wisdom" there. But it was God's wisdom through which He crafted all creation.

The Matthew Henry Commentary says: That it is an intelligent and divine person that here speaks seems very plain, and that it is not meant of a mere essential property of the divine nature, for Wisdom here has personal properties and actions; and that intelligent divine person can be no other than the Son of God himself.

It then links this to John 1. You can read a very long explanation from Matthew Henry (scroll down to the section entitled Verses 22-31) or a Concise Matthew Henry Commentary.

6/26/2015 6:24 am  #52

Thanks - Yes, I wondered if it meant Jesus. How lovely. God is love and Jesus is wisdom. As in Jesus is the practical application of that love.

6/26/2015 11:32 am  #53

Ok, lots in Proverbs 10. I am reading it and pondering it. Will post more extensively later. But all the focus on the tongue and on being careful how we speak reminded me of a lesson I learned.

So, I frequently worked remotely and my IT Manager absolutely knew this, that I was a heavy remote worker and I would log into my account from home. So, I was trying to log into my account and could not get in. So, when I went into the office the next day, I see a note on my desk from the IT Manager saying he had to change my password and come see him to find out what it was. Well I thought that was crazy to not call me or tell me before hand. Putting a note on my desk when I am rarely in the office was not going to be helpful. How would I know there was a note on my desk? I would just wonder why I could not log in and I was unable to get my work done.

So, I was so mad, in fact I was livid. I went to him and boy was I going to lay into him and tell him how "stupid" that was. Well before I could speak he said, "Oh I had to change you password and since I know what a strong Christian you are I changed it to xxxxx." He had changed it to something that pointed to my commitment to Christ. Boy did I feel convicted because I was about to not act very Christian. I am so, so, glad that I did not have a chance to say anything first. Boy did God protect my testimony and His reputation. But a very good reminder for me to be careful with my words and anger. The anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God.

James 1:19-20
So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath; for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God.

Courntey has a great post on this today as well at Good Morning Girls.

Last edited by TBG (6/26/2015 11:35 am)

6/26/2015 6:14 pm  #54

TBG, what a great testimony.

Two days worth at once for me as I didn't get a chance to get on the site yesterday.

Proverbs 9
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom,
   and the knowledge of the Holy One is insight.  (9:10)

Observation
The fear of the Lord is not a fear that if you sin He will strike you with lightening kind of fear.  Rather, it is standing in awe of Him.  It is recognizing our place before Him.

Application
Do I focus on the majesty that is God?  do I stand in awe of Him?  Do I let my realization of who He is cause me to want to serve Him?  Or do I treat Him as a after thought or as a genie in a bottle to give me what I want?

Proverbs 10
The memory of th righteous is a blessing,
   but the name of the wicked will rot (10:7)

Observation
If one thinks back on historical figures we remember people differently depending on the type of person that they were.  Hitler is remembered much differently than Mother Theresa.  And just as this is true for famous people, it is also true for the people in our lives.  And it true for how we will be remembered.

Application
Am I living my life in such a way that if I were to die tomorrow I would be remembered as someone who loves the Lord and strove to help people?  Or would I be remembered as someone who was selfish and mean?

6/27/2015 4:35 pm  #55

Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all offenses.
                                                                  (Proverbs 10:12)

H  eavy heart
                                                                   A  nimosity
                                                                   T  roublesome
                                                                   R  evenge
                                                                   E  vil
                                                                   D  evil

Hatred may begin with a heavy heart, but it can be softened by the power of the Holy Spirit through forgiveness. But…when we do not allow the process of restoration to take place, we hold animosity which means we never really deal with the root of the issue. Roots are hard to dig up and a root of hatred is not easy to get rid of; however, with prayer, fasting, and the indwelling of Holy Spirit it is possible to break the chains of hate. Sometimes we don’t want to put in this kind of effort, so we never really deal with the heart of the matter which becomes troublesome to our mind and spirit. We deny our own soul the freedom of becoming a well spring of life. Hatred is death it is the opposite of life. It may even lead to revenge which is evil and playing into the devil’s hands.

Let’s free ourselves from hate and choose life.

Have a wonderful day,

Theresnoplacelike Home  

Last edited by Theresnoplacelike Home (6/27/2015 4:36 pm)

6/27/2015 4:42 pm  #56

TBG wrote:

Proverbs 9

Verse 8-9
If we are wise, we will receive rebuke. It is easy to get defensive, but we need to receive correction and criticism with humility and reflection. Even if we feel the comments are not true, we should still be humble and just think about it and see if there is not something we can still learn from it. But we need to be willing to accept it and honestly and humbly evaluate the legitimacy of it.

9:10 - The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.

The Message says, insight into life comes from knowing a Holy God. I like how that is worded.

We don’t understand the world, why things happen, what God’s will is, what paths we should take. Or, we just don’t understand the Bible. Well, as we study the Word, we will increase in our knowledge of God, His truths, and His character. As we increase our knowledge of God so will we increase our understanding.

PS: Theresnoplacelike Home I just clicked through to your blog. You are such a great writter. Really enjoyed your last post. I will keep reading and add it to my bookmark!

I agree that it is hard to take correction but its necessary to grow. The bible tells us not to be easily offended. Readiing the bible takes discipline but the rewards of wisdom and a deeper relationship with God are more than worth it.

TBG, thank you for reading my blog. I usually post once a month so that I take time to consider what God would have me write. I choose not to put my name or photo on the blog to bring more glory to God. Thank you for your kind words of encouragement.

6/28/2015 7:27 pm  #57

Week of June 29
This Week’s Reading Assignment

S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.

Monday
Reading: Proverbs 11
Optional GMG Discussion Question:
Living righteously brings us life, how are we to pursue righteous living?

Tuesday
Reading: Proverbs 12
It is foolish to do what is right in our own eyes. When have you chosen to listen to someone else's advice and not do what you thought should be done?

Wednesday
Reading: Proverbs 13
When we are corrected and accept it, we will receive honor. How have you seen this come true in your life?

Thursday
Reading: Proverbs 14
Everybody has an opinion to share, but we must be careful to consider where God is directing our lives. How do you weigh the opinions of others before acting on them?

Friday
Reading: Proverbs 15
When we speak we can bring life to those around us. How do you strive to ensure that your words speak life?

Memory Verse

6/28/2015 7:51 pm  #58

Proverbs 10 

10:19
When words are many, transgression is not lacking, but whoever restrains his lips is prudent.
In the multitude of words sin is not lacking, but he who restrains his lips is wise.

Practice waiting to speak; restrain our lips

This is definitely something I need to work on. It ties into James 1:19 Let every man be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger.

10:20a
The tongue of the righteous is choice silver

When we speak it should be so valuable to other people like choice silver

Righteousness
Righteousness is a source of live and leads to life (vs 11,16)
Won’t be swept away by life’s trials but will stand firm on a foundation stronger than themselves that will never be shaken (vs 25)

Wise People
Store up knowledge (vs 14)
People with understanding speak wisdom

Right Speaking
Well of life (vs 11)
Choice silver (vs 20)
Feed many (vs 21)
Brings forth wisdom (vs 31)
Know what is acceptable (vs 32)

6/29/2015 2:05 am  #59

Proverbs 10

Sorry I was away traveling and getting back into the swing of things, but I'm back!

What stands out in this chapter is how careful we should be with our words. We should always bring forth wisdom, positivity and insight as Christians when we speak. I definitely work on this one daily. Here are the repetitive scriptures that bring it home mentioned in this chapter.

The mouth of a good person is a deep, life-giving well, but the mouth of the wicked is a dark cave of abuse. (‭Proverbs‬ ‭10‬:‭11‬ MSG)

You’ll find wisdom on the lips of a person of insight, but the shortsighted needs a slap in the face. (‭Proverbs‬ ‭10‬:‭13‬ MSG).

The more talk, the less truth; the wise measure their words. The speech of a good person is worth waiting for; the blabber of the wicked is worthless. (‭Proverbs‬ ‭10‬:‭19-20‬ MSG)

A good person’s mouth is a clear fountain of wisdom; a foul mouth is a stagnant swamp.
The speech of a good person clears the air; the words of the wicked pollute it. (‭Proverbs‬ ‭10‬:‭31-32‬ MSG)

6/29/2015 2:11 pm  #60

A talebearer reveals secrets,
                                      But he who is of a faithful spirit conceals a matter.

(Proverbs 11: 13)

Trust is built on mutual respect. Respecting and trusting means we do not share the matters of another. Yet, far too often it happens. Betrayal, we gossip, slander, and spread rumors about others. Often even our friends and family. And it hurts because those rumors are found out often by an innocent person.

Wisdom shows us that rather than spread a rumor we should stop it. If we want peace, harmony, and unity we need to listen to this sound wisdom. Conceal and heal with prayer and discretion.

As women we are easily drawn into the temptation of telling another’s secret but it is like playing with fire. James tells us that the tongue is like a fire…

“See how great a forest a little fire kindles!  And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity. The tongue is so set among our members that it defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire by hell.For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and creature of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by mankind. But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison”
                                                              (James 3: 5-8)

On a personal note, I have been hurt by gossip, rumors, and slander that it greatly affected my ability to trust others even Christians.It took a long time to overcome.
 Theresnoplacelike Home 

Last edited by Theresnoplacelike Home (6/29/2015 2:15 pm)

Board footera