Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/01/2015 5:31 am  #71

Re: Proverbs

Proverbs 13

13:14 The law of the wise is a fountain of life, To turn one away from the snares of death.

God does not give us His law to destroy our happiness. He gives us His law to save us from death and the destruction of our own soul. As the guest post on GMG says today, He wants us to be free from the control of sin in our lives, free from the destruction of our soul.

7/01/2015 11:05 am  #72

“He who walks with wise men will be wise
But the companion of fools will be destroyed.”
              (Proverbs 13:20)

This verse speaks about our friends and companions. It is often said that our friends are a reflection of ourselves. I have also been one to seek older women  for mentorship; it is a win-win thing.  As a teacher, I find the best teachers to learn from. At home I find friends that are good cooks to learn from, etc.  And I try to help others as well. My students are a big part of that equation.

When we prayer for the right people to be placed in our path; God will always provide. God is the ultimate match maker for both husband and wives, friends, and mentors.

In fact, a short and sincere prayer from my husband asking God to bring him a wife is the beginning of our union story. Only a few short weeks after that prayer we met. God loves to shower us with blessings. It’s important to always look closer into those around us. They are there for a reason.

Theresnoplacelike Home

7/01/2015 6:19 pm  #73

Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise,
   But the companion of the fool will suffer harm (13:20)

Observation
The company that we keep greatly influences us.  If we surround ourselves with ungodly people, then our eyes will be turned from God.  If we surround ourselves with godly people we will draw closer to him.

Application
Who do I choose to hang out with?  Do the people that I interact the most with draw me away from God?  Does their speech and what they like to do point me to the world and draw me to it?  Or, do I choose to hang around people that are focused on Christ?  People who point me towards Him?

7/02/2015 1:42 am  #74

Proverbs 12

Scripture
Fools have short fuses and explode all too quickly; the prudent quietly shrug off insults. (‭Proverbs‬ ‭12‬:‭16‬ MSG)

Application
I've always had a short fuse and it's always gotten me in trouble. It's something I've got a lot better at managing but still pray on getting better at eliminating it all together as it is indeed really foolish. I find whe I stay in the present moment as best I can, I struggle with it less.

I also want to get better at "quietly shrugging off insults". We can't take these personally as usually their just unconscious and insults have really nothing to do with you. However, it's hard to view it that way in the moment, especially if it's someone close to you.

Lord, help us to be better and to be hyper aware of our actions, so that we don't mirror others behaviors or act on our feelings.

7/02/2015 1:50 am  #75

Proverbs 13

Scriptures
Careful words make for a careful life; careless talk may ruin everything.

A pretentious, showy life is an empty life; a plain and simple life is a full life.

Unrelenting disappointment leaves you heartsick, but a sudden good break can turn life around.

An appetite for good brings much satisfaction, but the belly of the wicked always wants more. (‭Proverbs‬ ‭13‬:‭3, 7, 12, 25‬ MSG)

Application
These scriptures are really great nuggets for daily living and stood out the most for me. I truly identify with the above. God, thank you for your loving correction and direction.

7/03/2015 7:35 am  #76

Proverbs 14
Whoever is slow to anger has great understanding
   But he who has a hasty temper exalts folly 14:29

Observation
A person who doesn’t hold their temper in check tends to say things that they regret later.  They tend to push people away.  Those that are slow to anger are better able to handle stress and they have better interactions with people.  And they tend to be able to see the big picture.

Application
Being slow to anger keeps me from being so me focused.  When I allow myself to see everything as being about me – a very wrong attitude to have – I tend to have a hasty temper

7/03/2015 7:36 am  #77

Proverbs 15
A soft answer turns away wrath,
   But a harsh word stirs up anger

Observation
As women, we are instructed to have a meek and quiet spirit (1 Peter 3:4 KJV).  The Greek word translated meek (or gentle in the ESV), does not mean that one is weak.  Rather it is demonstrating strength under control and without being harsh.  The story of Abigail in 1 Samuel 25 is the perfect example of a woman whose soft answer turned away wrath.

Application
In my own life, I have found that when my response in a stressful or volatile situation is one where I remember to behave as a lady and a daughter of the King, things go much better.  As women we have a unique ability to make a situation better or worse depending on our response.

7/03/2015 8:39 am  #78

Theresnoplacelike Home -
What a beautiful focus on friendship you've had in yourlast few post.
And I don't think we think enough about praying for God to bring people into our lives. I think many prayed for God to bring our spouse. But, yes, what about friendships. Praying both for godly women we can learn from, women we can mentor, and relationships where we can offer mutual support.

Michelle
That is such a difficult balance. Because sometimes as Christians we get in our Christian cocoon where we only have other Christian friends. I moved two years ago and almost exclusively all my friends are from my church. So, it is difficult to influence the world and lead others to Christ when I don't really have relationships with them.
I notice my neighbor don't seem to attend church and I have really been thinking that I need to prioritize developing closer relationships with them so I can be a light to them.

But, you are so correct, the Bible is very clear that we need to be careful who we hang out with. People really can be bad influences on us. It is a really difficult line to draw.

itsjenniferrose
I really like how that translation brings it down to earth. It really hits you when you read it that way.

7/03/2015 9:56 am  #79

Proverbs 14

1 The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down

Sometimes as we just can’t or won’t yield or we let our anxiety cause us to be too controlling. This destroys our relationships with our husbands and our children. Or, we get too busy and prioritize work or ministry or everything else. When we do these things, we are tearing our houses down with our own hands.

2 He who walks in his uprightness fears the Lord, But he who is perverse in his ways despises Him. (NKJV)
2. Those who follow the right path fear the LORD; those who take the wrong path despise him. (NLT)
2 An honest life shows respect for God; a degenerate life is a slap in his face. (TM)

Uprightness - Straightness, evenness, rightness, what is right
Consistently walking a path straight in God’s ways

We as believers say we fear God, but do we walk uprightly? Because it is clear, those who walk uprightly fear God? But if we do not, we despise Him.

Proverbs 14:12 - There is a way that seems right to a man; but its end is the way of death

Proverbs 14:14 - The backslider in heart will be filled with (the fruit of) his own ways, but a good man will be satisfied from above

Sometimes we think that we would be happier with the fruit of our own way, with going the direction we want to go, with doing what we want to do. It may seem like what we are doing is better than waiting on God or doing what God wants us to do. Or, it may seem like doing what we want to do will make us happier. But going our own way will lead to destruction. We must learn to be satisfied from the spiritual blessings God offers me from above.

7/03/2015 6:53 pm  #80

“The poor man is hated even by his own neighbor,
But the rich has many friends”
(Proverbs 14: 20)

This proverb is unfortunate but true. When we lack resources and become poor in income many “fair-weather friends” will not be by our side. They won’t visit or see us during times of trouble.  But when we have money and are able to host a party everyone seems to be our friend, everyone enjoys our company. It is a sad thing to learn but true.

The bible tells us that “Jesus is our friend that sticks closer than a brother.” He loves us when we are rich or poor, young or old, a sinner or saint. He is the ultimate friend. If we can put Him first in our lives, we can weather the storms of many “fair weather friends.”

Feeling confident that “He who began a good in me will be faithful to complete it.”

Last edited by Theresnoplacelike Home (7/03/2015 6:54 pm)

Board footera