Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/03/2015 6:55 pm  #81

Re: Proverbs

“Without counsel plans go away,But in the multitude of counselors
                                                             They are established” 
                                                              (Proverbs 15: 22) 

When we are facing decisions in life it can be easy to not see the big picture. This proverb tells us it is wise to “seek a multitude of counselors” when we are planning our steps.

It is hard to have a big enough perspective on a decision if we do not seek the advice of others. Often God will confirm doors we are meant to go through by allowing many individuals to confirm it. 

It is also true, that God often reveals his will through shutting doors. When this happens, don’t be quick to think God is not answering your prayers. He is by not allowing you to go down a path that may ultimately lead to destruction or may not be the best choice. His ways are above our ways; we don’t see the end of the story.

Always allow many older, trustworthy, and biblical sound people to give you advice. Allowing  a broader perspective on an issue will ensure that your plans are established and blessed.

We must trust God whether a door is shut or open.  Giving your life to God for me is like jumping off a cliff into deep waters and never looking back. To live a life like that takes a lot of faith, trust, hope, and belief in the supernatural ( the things that are not seen). We do not see the effects of the wind but we know it’s there just like we know the Holy Spirit stirs in our soul and guides our life...

Holy Spirit you are welcomed here…  

Last edited by Theresnoplacelike Home (7/03/2015 6:58 pm)

7/03/2015 7:01 pm  #82

TBG wrote:

Proverbs 13

13:14 The law of the wise is a fountain of life, To turn one away from the snares of death.

God does not give us His law to destroy our happiness. He gives us His law to save us from death and the destruction of our own soul. As the guest post on GMG says today, He wants us to be free from the control of sin in our lives, free from the destruction of our soul.

I love this verse Proverbs 13:14. It softens the word law and makes an image of a beautiful fountain flowing with water. Your right, his laws are for our happiness and this verse makes that crystal clear.

7/03/2015 7:04 pm  #83

Michelle wrote:

Proverbs 14
Whoever is slow to anger has great understanding
   But he who has a hasty temper exalts folly 14:29

Observation
A person who doesn’t hold their temper in check tends to say things that they regret later.  They tend to push people away.  Those that are slow to anger are better able to handle stress and they have better interactions with people.  And they tend to be able to see the big picture.

Application
Being slow to anger keeps me from being so me focused.  When I allow myself to see everything as being about me – a very wrong attitude to have – I tend to have a hasty temper

Good ideas! Thanks for sharing this. Having a slow to anger attitude and mind set will keep us out of trouble and help us maintain healthy relationships with others. 

Last edited by Theresnoplacelike Home (7/03/2015 7:06 pm)

7/04/2015 2:47 am  #84

This stood out to me as well in various versions I read. I do notice that when I get bent out of shape it's due to being me focused and not seeing the whole picture. It truly makes a difference when you pause and second guess why you are about to react a certain way. It allows time to breathe, be mindful and look within.

Michelle wrote:

Proverbs 14
Whoever is slow to anger has great understanding
   But he who has a hasty temper exalts folly 14:29

Observation
A person who doesn’t hold their temper in check tends to say things that they regret later.  They tend to push people away.  Those that are slow to anger are better able to handle stress and they have better interactions with people.  And they tend to be able to see the big picture.

Application
Being slow to anger keeps me from being so me focused.  When I allow myself to see everything as being about me – a very wrong attitude to have – I tend to have a hasty temper

7/04/2015 12:54 pm  #85

Proverbs 15

Scripture
Better to have little, with fear for the LORD, than to have great treasure and inner turmoil. (‭Proverbs‬ ‭15‬:‭16‬ NLT)

Observation
Better to live upstanding with little and feel good in your soul and joyful, than to focus on accumulating so much wealth, and feel crappy because you've lost your soul and true essence in the process.

Application
When you operate far from inner self and soul, you create inner turmoil, no matter what you're doing. Riches, relationships, material things can mask this, but you'll still be miserable.

7/05/2015 8:18 pm  #86

itsjenniferrose wrote:

Proverbs 15

Scripture
Better to have little, with fear for the LORD, than to have great treasure and inner turmoil. (‭Proverbs‬ ‭15‬:‭16‬ NLT)

Observation
Better to live upstanding with little and feel good in your soul and joyful, than to focus on accumulating so much wealth, and feel crappy because you've lost your soul and true essence in the process.

Application
When you operate far from inner self and soul, you create inner turmoil, no matter what you're doing. Riches, relationships, material things can mask this, but you'll still be miserable.

Such an important lesson at least for those of us in the U.S. very easy to get focused on accumulation and success.

7/05/2015 8:22 pm  #87

Week of July 6
This Week’s Reading Assignment

S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.

Monday
Reading: Proverbs 16
Optional GMG Discussion Question:
Surrendering our ways to the Lord can be difficult. As women, we have a tendency to want to control our circumstances. What is one tip you can share that has helped you surrender your plans to the Lord?

Tuesday
Reading: Proverbs 17
This chapter speaks a lot about the tongue. What is one way you can remind yourself to speak words of encouragement and blessing to those around you today

Wednesday
Reading: Proverbs 18
The tongue is a small but powerful member. Share with us one instance when your soft words soothed an argument.

Thursday
Reading: Proverbs 19
If we want wisdom, we must first learn to the fear the Lord. What are three ways that the fear of the Lord is evident in your life?

Friday
Reading: Proverbs 20
Today we see what man can become if evil is allowed to reside in his heart. What is one way that you allowed the Lord's light to shine even in the hidden corners of your heart?

This Week's Memory Verse

7/06/2015 10:30 pm  #88

Chapter 15

15:9  The way of the wicked is an abomination to the LORD, but he loves him who pursues righteousness.

Sacrifices and acts of service or external acts do not please God if we are living wicked lives. God wants us to have an upright heart and live uprightly. Then He will be pleased with our prayers.

Prayers are relational. It shows that He is pleased with intimate, genuine relationship with Him and we don’t have to run around trying to do a lot of works.

Sometimes as believers we can be so busy doing religious activities and volunteer work, which is good, but we can spend so much time on that that we don’t have time for quite, unrushed intimacy and relationship with God.

7/07/2015 12:21 am  #89

When a man’s ways please the Lord,
He makes even his enemies to
be a peace with him.”

Peace: freedom from disturbance; quiet and tranquility

There are so many things a person may be able to obtain in life buy ordering online or shopping in a store. But you can’t purchase peace because true peace comes from God and can’t be bought in a store.  This promise is so soothing to the soul. Because we live in a world that is very close to what is described in 2 Timothy:

“But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days.  People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy,  without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good,  treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God—  having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.”

Having so much Godlessness surrounding us can at times bring us to a place of bitterness and unrest. But God promises that those that have the nature described above will be at peace with us because of our walk with Him. I want that. I know that my walk with God can draw closer until I can be a well-tuned instrument that God can play in any which way he so choices.

Theresnoplacelike Home

7/07/2015 12:24 am  #90

Chapter 16

The following scriptures stood out to me. He shows us that we plan, work hard and surrender the rest to God. And tells us we do this through patience and self control. I love this because he reminds us he has our backs, and it's safe to fall back in his arms and be carefree as we Persue our dreams.
Commit your actions to the LORD, and your plans will succeed.

We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps.

Those who listen to instruction will prosper; those who trust the LORD will be joyful.

Better to be patient than powerful; better to have self-control than to conquer a city. (‭Proverbs‬ ‭16‬:‭3, 9, 20, 32‬ NLT)

GMG Question
Surrendering our ways to the Lord can be difficult. As women, we have a tendency to want to control our circumstances. What is one tip you can share that has helped you surrender your plans to the Lord?

Being highly conscious in the present moment helps me surrender my plans to God. To be mindful when I'm too focused on the future or looking back into the past. Always in the present moment, God gives us the answers, directs and leads.

Board footera