Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/17/2016 9:18 am  #91

Re: Job

Job 33 Cont.

I saw some more things in chapter 33. It really does take a lot of time studying and pouring over this. It is quite a challenging book.

33:12b-13 I will answer you, For God is greater than man. Why do you contend with Him? For He does not give an accounting of any of His words. (NKJV)

God does not have to give an accounting to us. Who do we think we are? God is far greater than man.

I will answer you, for God is greater than man. Why do you contend against him, saying, 'He will answer none of man's words'? (ESV)

First of all God frequently does answer and does speak, we may just not recognize it, or we may not like what He is saying so we keep waiting to hear something else. Secondly, God does not have to answer to us. He does not answer up to us, we answer to Him. He is the great ruler of all; we are His subjects and the creation of His hands.

For God is greater than man. "Why do you complain against Him That He does not give an account of all His doings? (NASB)

God does not have to justify Himself to us.

33:29-30 "Behold, God works all these things, twice, in fact, three times with a man, to bring back his soul from the Pit, that he may be enlightened with the light of life.

God uses warnings (vs. 15-16) and pain (vs. 19-22) for the purpose of bringing us to repentance and to salvation.

And look at God’s heart how He continues to draw and bring us to Him and He continues to patiently work to save us from the pit and to bring us into His light.

33:23-26,28 "If there is a messenger for him, a mediator, one among a thousand, to show man His uprightness, then He is gracious to him, and says, 'Deliver him from going down to the Pit; I have found a ransom'; his flesh shall be young like a child's, he shall return to the days of his youth. he shall pray to God, and He will delight in him, he shall see His face with joy, For He restores to man His righteousness… He will redeem his soul from going down to the Pit, and his life shall see the light.

How did I miss this before; this is Christ.

God chastises man (vs. 19-22) for the purpose of leading him to repentance but God does not give man over to death and punishment. No, God sends a mediator so that we may see and understand the righteousness of God. This mediator pays the ransom to save us from the pitt. Then God restores us to an uncorrupted fresh pure state and God delights in us. Can you imagine? God finds delight in us. We shall see God’s face and God, not us, but God will give us His righteousness. Then we shall see life and light.

How beautiful. Praise God for His love, His patience and His provision for our salvation. Praise God that He should love sinners such as we are. God has shown His great love for us in that while we were enemies of God, yet He died for us. (Rom 5:10)

2/17/2016 10:02 am  #92

Job 34

34:3-4 For the ear tests words as the palate tastes food. Let us choose justice for ourselves; Let us know among ourselves what is good.

Oh, how we see this in our society, even, sadly in the church. We test God’s Word as we do food, based on our likes and personal taste. We decide what is good based on what we like and prefer, based on what pleases our palate and satisfies our appetites. We think we choose and discern what is good and right and what we should follow and honor.

34:9 For he has said, 'It profits a man nothing that he should delight in God.'
Sadly, this is the source of much bitterness and falling away from the way. But should it profit us to serve God? I think ultimately it does profit us, in eternal life, in spiritual blessings (Ep 1), and in living water flowing out of our life, the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, God’s presence in our life, etc. But the question is should it have to profit us? What if it did not profit us, would this negate our obligation or desire to serve Him? Should profit be our motive?

Looking at the rest of the chapter, I am not sure any of these people understand God and God’s ways. They had limited revelation and did not have the Holy Spirit to reveal and interpret God’s truth. But, there are some good points being made.

34:11-12 For He repays man according to his work, and makes man to find a reward according to his way. Surely God will never do wickedly, nor will the Almighty pervert justice.

We need to cling to this truth even if…. We must trust in the character of God.

34:14-15 If He should set His heart on it, If He should gather to Himself His Spirit and His breath, all flesh would perish together, and man would return to dust.

God is the source of life, of purpose, of our identify, or all we are. He is the source.

34:17 Should one who hates justice govern? Will you condemn Him who is most just?

Who are we to judge God, who are we to criticize and condemn His acts? He is the most just, He is the source of justice, He defines justice, He is justice.

34:21-22, 24-25 "For His eyes are on the ways of man, and He sees all his steps. There is no darkness nor shadow of death where the workers of iniquity may hide themselves.

He breaks in pieces mighty men without inquiry, and sets others in their place. Therefore he knows their works; He overthrows them in the night, and they are crushed.

God sees and He knows. Eventually people will pay. Be not deceived as a man sow so he reaps.

Galatians 6:7-8 Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life.

Galatians 6:9 And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart.

34:26 He strikes them as wicked men in the open sight of others,
It seems that it is not always in open sight. Sometimes it is beyond the grave. I would say many times it may seem beyond the grave, at least to our knowledge. If we knew their real life we may see the despair, emptiness and hopelessness, but from the outside it may not seem like God is judging the wicked.

34:31-32 "For has anyone said to God, ' I have borne chastening; I will offend no more; Teach me what I do not see; If I have done iniquity, I will do no more'?

We don’t always suffer because we are being chastised. But if we are being buffeted to bring us back to God do we get bitter, angry, and resentful or do we respond like this?

If we are unsure if we are being chastened, do we respond with this humility?

Do we ask God to show us what he wants us to see? Are we open to examining ourselves? Do we even want to see any hidden iniquity or do we not want to see it because we want to continue in what pleases us? Do we desire God to show us our hearts so that he can purify it? Are we willing to embrace a painful path towards purification?

Even in times of ease and blessing this is good to ask God to show us our hearts and to show us if there is anything that we need to cleanse and repent of.

34:35-37
These are harsh words. Even if friend is wrong why desire them to be tried? How about desire a changed heart and God’s mercy.

2/17/2016 8:15 pm  #93

TBG wrote:

Job 34

34:3-4 For the ear tests words as the palate tastes food. Let us choose justice for ourselves; Let us know among ourselves what is good.

Oh, how we see this in our society, even, sadly in the church. We test God’s Word as we do food, based on our likes and personal taste. We decide what is good based on what we like and prefer, based on what pleases our palate and satisfies our appetites. We think we choose and discern what is good and right and what we should follow and honor.

34:9 For he has said, 'It profits a man nothing that he should delight in God.'
Sadly, this is the source of much bitterness and falling away from the way. But should it profit us to serve God? I think ultimately it does profit us, in eternal life, in spiritual blessings (Ep 1), and in living water flowing out of our life, the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, God’s presence in our life, etc. But the question is should it have to profit us? What if it did not profit us, would this negate our obligation or desire to serve Him? Should profit be our motive?

Looking at the rest of the chapter, I am not sure any of these people understand God and God’s ways. They had limited revelation and did not have the Holy Spirit to reveal and interpret God’s truth. But, there are some good points being made.

34:11-12 For He repays man according to his work, and makes man to find a reward according to his way. Surely God will never do wickedly, nor will the Almighty pervert justice.

We need to cling to this truth even if…. We must trust in the character of God.

34:14-15 If He should set His heart on it, If He should gather to Himself His Spirit and His breath, all flesh would perish together, and man would return to dust.

God is the source of life, of purpose, of our identify, or all we are. He is the source.

34:17 Should one who hates justice govern? Will you condemn Him who is most just?

Who are we to judge God, who are we to criticize and condemn His acts? He is the most just, He is the source of justice, He defines justice, He is justice.

34:21-22, 24-25 "For His eyes are on the ways of man, and He sees all his steps. There is no darkness nor shadow of death where the workers of iniquity may hide themselves.

He breaks in pieces mighty men without inquiry, and sets others in their place. Therefore he knows their works; He overthrows them in the night, and they are crushed.

God sees and He knows. Eventually people will pay. Be not deceived as a man sow so he reaps.

Galatians 6:7-8 Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life.

Galatians 6:9 And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart.

34:26 He strikes them as wicked men in the open sight of others,
It seems that it is not always in open sight. Sometimes it is beyond the grave. I would say many times it may seem beyond the grave, at least to our knowledge. If we knew their real life we may see the despair, emptiness and hopelessness, but from the outside it may not seem like God is judging the wicked.

34:31-32 "For has anyone said to God, ' I have borne chastening; I will offend no more; Teach me what I do not see; If I have done iniquity, I will do no more'?

We don’t always suffer because we are being chastised. But if we are being buffeted to bring us back to God do we get bitter, angry, and resentful or do we respond like this?

If we are unsure if we are being chastened, do we respond with this humility?

Do we ask God to show us what he wants us to see? Are we open to examining ourselves? Do we even want to see any hidden iniquity or do we not want to see it because we want to continue in what pleases us? Do we desire God to show us our hearts so that he can purify it? Are we willing to embrace a painful path towards purification?

Even in times of ease and blessing this is good to ask God to show us our hearts and to show us if there is anything that we need to cleanse and repent of.

34:35-37
These are harsh words. Even if friend is wrong why desire them to be tried? How about desire a changed heart and God’s mercy.

Thank you for this - especially the ones in blue .  I really need to see a different view as I'm still struggling with Elihu's responses and having a hard time seeing the good in his words.  I just keep thinking that he's speaking in anger and being disrespectful to all the men present, especially Job, by presuming - and saying it outright - that he is wiser than they... 

Job 34:34-35  Let men of understanding tell me, and let a wise man hearken unto me. Job hath spoken without knowledge, and his words were without wisdom.

Job 35:16  Therefore doth Job open his mouth in vain; he multiplieth words without knowledge.

Not to mention that I think he's also accusing Job of saying something he never said...

Job 35:2  Thinkest thou this to be right, that thou saidst, My righteousness is more than God's?

Overall in these two chapters today (actually back to when Elihu began to speak),  I'm seeing how I can think I am wiser than others and be guilty of thinking I have all the answers.  Something I need to change! I don't want others to see me as I see Elihu!

Last edited by LoriMI (2/17/2016 8:18 pm)

2/17/2016 9:41 pm  #94

LoriMI wrote:

Overall in these two chapters today (actually back to when Elihu began to speak),  I'm seeing how I can think I am wiser than others and be guilty of thinking I have all the answers.  Something I need to change! I don't want others to see me as I see Elihu!

Yes, join the club on that. Are not we all guilty of that sometimes.

2/18/2016 9:03 am  #95

Job 35
35:3 For you say, 'What advantage will it be to You? What profit shall I have, more than if I had sinned?'

People feel that they have honored God with their life yet bad things have happened and they become disappointed. Again the focus is on us getting some type of profit.

We are very self focused: focused on our goals, our pleasure, our happiness, our desires. I know I am. We must get to the point of focusing on God so that we can live as Paul said, “to live is Christ.” Jesus says to crucify ourselves, our desires, our will. Colossians 3 says if we are believers we have died and what is really life, our real life is hidden until the return of Christ.

35:6-7 If you sin, what do you accomplish against Him? Or, if your transgressions are multiplied, what do you do to Him? If you are righteous, what do you give Him? Or what does He receive from your hand?

God does not need our righteousness. Righteous living does not obligate God to do anything for us. The notes in my Bible point to two verses. Our “righteousness” is falls far short of the standard, is merely our duty, and is our reasonable service (Romans 12:1).

Isaiah 64:6
But we are all like an unclean thing, and all our righteousness are like filthy rags; we all fade as a leaf, and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

Luke 17:7-10
And which of you, having a servant plowing or tending sheep, will say to him when he has come in from the field, 'Come at once and sit down to eat'? But will he not rather say to him, 'Prepare something for my supper, and gird yourself and serve me till I have eaten and drunk, and afterward you will eat and drink'? Does he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I think not. So likewise you, when you have done all those things which you are commanded, say, 'We are unprofitable servants. We have done what was our duty to do.' "

35:9-10 Because of the multitude of oppressions they cry out; They cry out for help because of the arm of the mighty. But no one says, 'Where is God my Maker, Who gives songs in the night,

Verse 10 on it took a while to grasp what exactly he was talking about, so I read the Mathew Henry commentary. These are summarized points from that.

They cry out by reason of the arm of the mighty, but it is a complaining cry, a wailing cry, not a penitent praying cry. They have not cried unto me with their heart. (Hos. 7:14)

Afflictions are sent to direct and quicken us to enquire early after God, Ps. 78:34.
They don’t inquire after God or seek to understand and know Him in their affliction.

Many people when suffering take no notice of God and don’t try to understand His hand in the situation. It they did do this it would be easier for them to bear their troubles more patiently and it would be of greater benefit to them. Of the many that are afflicted and oppressed, few get the good they might get by their affliction.

Affliction should drive us to God, but how seldom is this the case.

People do not seek the face and favor of God. They do not seek comfort in Him which would balance their outward afflictions. They are completely taken up with the wretchedness of their condition. They act as if their suffering excuses them in living without God but it should get them to cleave the more closely to him.

God is so little sought by men. “All are asking, Where is mirth? Where is wealth? Where is a good bargain? But none ask, Where is God my Maker?”

2/18/2016 10:00 pm  #96

Job 36

36:3 I will fetch my knowledge from afar; I will ascribe righteousness to my Maker.

Based on godly wisdom he perceives that God is righteous. And when he cannot understand he chooses to credit, attribute, think of God as righteous.

36:24 Remember to magnify His work, of which men have sung.
36:26 How great is God—beyond our understanding! The number of his years is past finding out.

We need to remember to magnify the works that God has done, even during times of suffering.
God is beyond our understanding, so we need to yield to and trust Him.

Job 37

37:5 God thunders marvelously with His voice; He does great things which we cannot comprehend.

God is infinite, so our finite minds cannot comprehend Him.

37:14 Listen to this, O Job; Stand still and consider the wondrous works of God.

We need to just stop, stop striving, stop trying to solve everything on our own, stop searching for answers, stop fighting, stop complaining, stop the busyness and really mediate on and think on and appreciate the wonderful works of God.

37:21 Now no one can look at the sun, bright as it is in the skies after the wind has swept them clean.
37:23-24 The Almighty is beyond our reach and exalted in power; in His justice and great righteousness, He does not oppress. Therefore, people revere Him, for does He not have regard for all the wise in heart?

Just as we cannot look straight at the sun, we cannot look fully at God.

1 Corinthians 13:12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known.

Mirrors in those days were just a polished piece of metal and they were not clear, just a dim reflection. That is the most we can see of God, a dim reflection. We cannot even see His face. Moses was only allowed to see His backside. No one can see God’s face and live. Exodus 33:20

God’s understanding is beyond our reach and so is His justice, we think we know what is just, we do not. And we cannot comprehend the degree of God’s righteousness. Therefore, we should revere Him (have respect for Him tinged with awe - an overwhelming feeling of reverence, admiration, fear).

2/19/2016 5:07 pm  #97

S: Hear attentively the noise of his voice, and the sound that goeth out of his mouth"  37:2

O:  We are to hear God.  Attentively.

Looked up attentive in Merriam Webster's dictionary, and found this: 
      thinking about or watching something carefully 
      paying careful attention to something
      mindful
      observant

We are to hear God carefully.  We are to pay careful attention to his voice.  We are to be observant for his voice.  We are to be mindful of what we hear.

In order to hear, we must listen.  Carefully. Mindfully. 

According to the rest of the chapter, one of the ways God speaks is through weather - His voice thunders (I listen for His voice during a thunder storm - I haven't heard it yet but I want to be like Moses.  He heard God but the people heard thunder!).   Lightening belongs to him,  He tells the rain and snow to fall.  He gives frost and so much more....

We just need to listen... and we will hear.

A:  I am not a good listener - to God or to others, but I want to change that!  I need to...

Listen for God's voice having ears to hear. I need to... Slow down.  Stop. Think.  Carefully.  Listen.  And hear what is being said.

I need to... 

Listen for God's voice through His word.

Listen for God's voice through other people.

Listen for God's voice through His creation.

Listen for God's voice through the storms.

Listen for God's voice through the blessings.

Listen carefully.  And hear. 

2/19/2016 5:19 pm  #98

LoriMI wrote:

Looked up attentive in Merriam Webster's dictionary, and found this: 
      thinking about or watching something carefully 
      paying careful attention to something
      mindful
      observant

We are to hear God carefully.  We are to pay careful attention to his voice.  We are to be observant for his voice.  We are to be mindful of what we hear.

In order to hear, we must listen.  Carefully. Mindfully. 
Listen for God's voice having ears to hear. I need to... Slow down.  Stop. Think.  Carefully.  Listen.  And hear what is being said.

I need to... 

Listen for God's voice through His word.

Listen for God's voice through other people.

Listen for God's voice through His creation.

Listen for God's voice through the storms.

Listen for God's voice through the blessings.

Listen carefully.  And hear. 

Love this to be more mindful of carefully listening and being attentive to God speaking.

2/21/2016 5:03 pm  #99

Week of February 21, 2016
This Week’s Reading Assignment

S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.
Don't forget to check the introduction on Mondays and the devotional on Friday at Good Morning Girls.

Monday
Reading: Job 38
Verse of the Day: Job 38:1-2
Optional GMG Discussion Question: When God steps in to correct us, He often reminds us of how little we truly know. Has God attempted to correct you recently? If so, in what way and how have you responded?

Tuesday
Reading: Job 39
Verse of the Day: Job 39:26-27
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Often we need to be reminded just how amazing God's creation is and that without Him, we can do nothing. What act of creation causes you to be filled with awe and humility?

Wednesday
Reading: Job 40
Verse of the Day: Job 40:9
Optional GMG Discussion Question: God confronts Job because of the state of his heart and the words he had spoken against Him. Share a time when God confronted you because of the state of your heart and words you had spoken.

Thursday
Reading: Job 41
Verse of the Day: Job 41:11
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Everything belongs to God.  We must never forget the depth of this truth. How do you remember that nothing truly belongs to you, and that all has been given to us by God?

Friday
Reading: Job 42
Verse of the Day: Job 42:12
Optional GMG Discussion Question: After Job's trials, corrections, and repentance, abundant blessings came from the Lord. Have you taken time to acknowledge the blessings you have received from God, following the trials in your life?

2/22/2016 9:16 am  #100

Job 38

I believe it was Lori who said she could not wait to hear God speak. Well it is exciting to finally get to the part where God speaks. So, during these passages, this is God speaking so it is truth, not opinion.

38:2 “Who is this that obscures my plans with words without knowledge? (NIV)
38:2 “Who is this that questions my wisdom with such ignorant words? (NLT)

Job thought he spoke wisdom and insight, but he spoke without knowledge. And it says here that he was interfering with God’s plans.

Wow, do I want to be one who confuses or disrupts God’s plans out of my ignorance? Oh, we so cannot see God’s plans, we so cannot understand His ways. And yet, we question, we resist, we get angry. The only solution to life is to trust, to seek, to submit, and to serve.

We must trust in God’s goodness and love for us that He is at work and He does have a plan even we cannot see it. We must trust in His goodness and justice.

We must seek His truth and diligently search the Word to know Him more, to know His truth more and to seek His presence in our lives in prayer. We must seek Him in prayer to seek His peace, His hope, His love, to help us to submit to Him and to move our hearts towards Him, to help us place our dependencies on Him.

We must submit to His plans, His purpose regardless.

We must serve Him and be at work to fulfill His purposes and will.

38:7 while the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy?

I think in the midst of seeing how fallen the earth is, we forget that the creation was a joyous, beautiful thing. We still see that now, but imagine what it was like without sin, without weeds, and death. This is what God will restore it to again someday. He desires to give us a glorious, beautiful, and perfect creation.

38:32 Can you bring forth the constellations in their seasons or lead out the Bear with its cubs?

God orchestrates the entire universe. He truly controls all. We must submit to His authority and control because He does and will rule.

38:36 Who has put wisdom in the mind? Or who has given understanding to the heart?

It is not our own ability and wisdom. Our abilities and wisdom come from God and He is the one who informs our understanding. So, we must seek understanding, truth and wisdom in God, His Word and His wisdom.

38:39-41 Do you hunt the prey for the lioness and satisfy the hunger of the lions when they crouch in their dens or lie in wait in a thicket? Who provides food for the raven when its young cry out to God and wander about for lack of food?

God has set all of creation in motion and set the function of all things.

Board footera