Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/30/2017 8:56 pm  #1

Week of May 1, 2017

Week Two Overview

This week we will be reading psalms thought to be written by David during the time period chronicles in  1 Samuel: 23-27.

Here is some background of those events to assist us in understanding the psalms we will be reading.

Background

A town, Keilah, was being attacked by the Philistines, so David went into battle to save the town, and the town was liberated. When Saul heard that David was in Keilah he went there to capture David. However, God revealed to David that the people of Keilah would give David over to Saul. So David fled into a barren wilderness area. While hiding there, another group, the Ziphites, told Saul where David was. As Saul was closing in on David, the Philistines raided the land and Saul had to turn back to fight them. So, David was delivered and escaped.

Twice David had opportunities to kill Saul, once while Saul was sleeping, and once when Saul was in a cave relieving himself. Both times David refused to kill him and did not allow any of his men to harm Saul. He cut off parts of Saul’s garment and in the second incident took Saul’s spear. He calls to Saul from afar and shows him these things, to prove that he could have killed him and did not. This proves him innocent of the desire to assassinate Saul.

We also see two incidents of weakness in these passages. The first is where David become angry when mistreated and almost wipes out a man’s family but is restrained in doing so.

Blessed be your discretion, and blessed be you, who have kept me this day from bloodguilt and from avenging myself with my own hand! 1 Samuel 25:33

In the second incident, David becomes fearful that Saul will succeed in killing Him and flees to Philistine territory. To keep the favor of the Philistine king, David would raid neighboring peoples and let the king think he was raiding towns in Judah. To keep the truth a secret, he would wipe out all the inhabitants of the towns he raided.

Then David said in his heart, "Now I shall perish one day by the hand of Saul. There is nothing better for me than that I should escape to the land of the Philistines. Then Saul will despair of seeking me any longer within the borders of Israel, and I shall escape out of his hand." 1 Samuel 27:1

Last edited by TBG (4/30/2017 8:57 pm)

4/30/2017 9:02 pm  #2

Re: Week of May 1, 2017

Week of May 1
This Week’s Reading Assignment
The group discussion thread is under Bible Study » Psalms.
S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.
Optional Study Guide: [url=https://1drv.ms/b/s!AoA8OEas8AsdgSXby4b-8kXOhWLH]Psalms Week 2 Study Guide[/url]

Monday
Reading: Psalm 63
Optional Study Guide: Monday
Verse of the Day: Psalm 63:1
O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.
Discussion Question: How can we cultivate a thirst and hunger for God in our lives and hearts?

Tuesday
Reading: Psalm 54
Optional Study Guide: Tuesday
Verse of the Day: Psalm 54:6
With a freewill offering I will sacrifice to you; I will give thanks to your name, O LORD, for it is good.

Discussion Question:
What does it look like to present yourself as a living sacrifice?
Psalm 51:17 - The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.”(ESV) “the sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit. You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God.” (NLT) “I learned God-worship when my pride was shattered. Heart-shattered lives ready for love don't for a moment escape God's notice.” (The Message)

NOTE: NLT is a loose translation that should be considered commentary and not be suited for in-depth study. The Message is NOT a study translation, but a loose translation where they have shared some of the things in the passage that stood out to the translator. It should be used as commentary and one partial and potential interpretation.

Wednesday
Reading: Psalm 57
Optional Study Guide: Wednesday
Verse of the Day: Psalm 57:9
I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples; I will sing praises to you among the nations.

Discussion Question: I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples; I will sing praises to you among the nations. For your steadfast love is great to the heavens, your faithfulness to the clouds. (Psalms 57:9-10)

What ways can you share your thanks for God with others and praise God to others? David thanks and praised God for His love and faithfulness. What things can you praise and thank God for other than physical blessings?

Thursday
Reading: Psalm 142
Optional Study Guide: Thursday
Verse of the Day: Psalm 142:5
I cry to you, O LORD; I say, "You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living."

Discussion Question: Look to the right and see: there is none who takes notice of me; no refuge remains to me; no one cares for my soul. Psalm 142:4

How can we be more engaged in the lives of others to prevent them from feeling alone and uncared for?

Friday
Reading: Psalm 17
Optional Study Guide: Friday
Verse of the Day: Psalm 17:15
As for me, I shall behold your face in righteousness; when I awake, I shall be satisfied with your likeness.

Discussion Question: James 3:5 says that the tongue is small, yet it boasts of great things and can set a great forest ablaze by its small fire. Name a time when either you or someone else set a fire by your tongue and what you learned from that.

Last edited by TBG (5/05/2017 8:28 pm)

4/30/2017 9:50 pm  #3

Optional Study Guide: Monday- Psalm 63 

Monday: Psalm 63

Verse of the Day
O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.  – Psalm 63:1

Study Questions
Read the psalm.

Read verse 1, is He my God – my sovereign ruler and authority or is He subordinate to other things? List any things that you are placing over God or making God subordinate to.

If He is my God, do I earnestly seek Him? Earnest means with a purposeful, determined and sincere intent. How can I start?

Do I thirst for God, or for other things? Do I faint (yearn, long for) other things or for God?
And do not turn aside after empty things that cannot profit or deliver, for they are empty. 1 Samuel 12:21

In verse 2, who should we be looking to? What attributes should we focus on to quench our thirst?
It is interesting to note that David indicates we need to focus on who God is, His nature, not so much on what He does.

Read verse 3. Do you believe this? Are you willing to give up life, the life you want, your vision for your life to experience the intimacy and steadfast love of God? Is God’s love better than anything, anything in this life and life itself?

How are you living this truth?

How are you not living in this truth?

If this truth was a reality in your life, how would this effect thoughts, attitudes, anxieties, hopes, dreams, moods, and goals?

What are your propping up in your heart as better, more important, or more valued than God’s love?

Read verses 5-6, what brings satisfaction?

What is the response to this satisfaction?

Do we frequently praise God with our lips, speak out praises to God, not just when we sing a song at Church?

Do we reflect on God or just go about our lives and respond in praise to Him? When we read of His marvelous works and truth, do we respond with praise?

SOAK any verse of your choosing

Discussion Question:
How can we cultivate a thirst and hunger for God in our lives and hearts?

Last edited by TBG (5/02/2017 12:03 pm)

5/01/2017 5:33 pm  #4

Optional Study Guide: Tuesday - Psalm 54

Tuesday: Psalm 54

Verse of the Day
With a freewill offering I will sacrifice to you; I will give thanks to your name, O LORD, for it is good.  – Psalm 54:6

Study Questions
Read the psalm.
In verse 3, what do these ruthless men fail to do?

Are we guilty of this same thing?

Read Hebrews 12:1-2
Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.

What 2 things are we to put off? Are we just to throw off sin?

Can things that are not sinful hinder us?

Who are we to look to?

How do things in your life, be they sinful or not, hinder you from keeping your eyes fixed on Christ?

Let’s go back to Psalm 54:3. The ruthless don’t set God before themselves. As believers, we are not ruthless, but we can fall into the trap of not setting God before us. This can lead us into sin and into the cultivation of ungodly attributes and un-Christlike behavior.

How have the things that are not sinful in your life, distracted you from Christ and led you into sinful behavior?

Read verse 6; why do we give thanks to God?

What type of offering should we give God? Is this under duress?

Read Romans 12:1.
“I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.” (ESV)

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. (NKJV)

What type of offering should believers give to God?

It is a reasonable response to God’s redemption of sinful man laid out in chapters 1-11.

Discussion Question:
Psalm 51:17 - The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.” (ESV) “the sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit. You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God.” (51:17 NLT) “I learned God-worship when my pride was shattered. Heart-shattered lives ready for love don't for a moment escape God's notice.” (The Message)

What does it look like to present yourself as a living sacrifice?
NOTE: NLT is a loose translation that should be considered commentary and not be suited for in-depth study. The Message is NOT a study translation, but a loose translation where they have shared some of the things in the passage that stood out to the translator. It should be used as commentary and one partial and potential interpretation.

Last edited by TBG (5/03/2017 9:06 am)

5/01/2017 6:59 pm  #5

Optional Study Guide: Wednesday - Psalm 57

Wednesday: Psalm 57

Verse of the Day
I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples; I will sing praises to you among the nations. - Psalm 57:9

Study Guide
Read the psalm.

Read verses 1-3. The word used for “mercy” in verse 1 is the Hebrew word meaning: to be gracious, show favor, pity. The word in verse 3 sometimes translated “mercy” and other times “steadfast love” is the Hebrew word meaning: goodness, kindness, faithfulness.

Think on why David is asking to be saved based on mercy and love.
What does this imply about it being an obligation of God to help David or deliverance being owed or due to David?

Do we sometimes have an attitude that God owes us help and deliverance? Why?

Why does God help us and deliver us? Is it based on us, or based on His character? 

What aspects of His character make Him want to help and deliver?

In verse 1, does God stop the storm? What happens during the storm? What does David do, what is it implied that God does or allows in response and what does the storm do?

In verse 2, whose purpose is fulfilled? Is David accepting and embracing the choice in purpose?

Do we accept and seek God’s purpose for us or do we cry out for God to fulfill our purpose?

Restate verse 5 in your own words.

Meditate on verse 7 and pray for your heart to be confirmed in steadfast trust and faithfulness to God in your suffering and in your daily life. Work on developing the discipline of having a consistent heart and mind filled with praise. - My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast! I will sing and make melody!

Discussion Question: I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples; I will sing praises to you among the nations. For your steadfast love is great to the heavens, your faithfulness to the clouds. (Psalms 57:9-10)

What ways can you share your thanks for God with others and praise God to others? David thanks and praised God for His love and faithfulness. What things can you praise and thank God for other than physical blessings?

Last edited by TBG (5/01/2017 7:01 pm)

5/01/2017 9:16 pm  #6

Optional Study Guide: Thursday - Psalm 142

Thursday: Psalm 142

Verse of the Day
I cry to you, O LORD; I say, "You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living." – Psalm 142:5

Study Guide
Read the psalm.

In verse 4, David states that he feels no one cares for him. Do you ever feel this way? What is the reality, does God care?

What can you do to focus your eyes on God and to find comfort in God when you feel alone as if no one is concerned?

Verse 5 says that God is David’s portion or inheritance. An inheritance is an irrevocable gift based on a special relationship. Meditate on how God is your inheritance. What irrevocable gifts has He given you?

In verse 7, David asks for his soul to be freed for what purpose? Is it to fulfill his own goals, or to give him joy and happiness?

Can we say what we want more than anything else is whatever allow us to bring glory to God, to elevate Him, and to partner with Him in the work of His kingdom?

Discussion Question
Look to the right and see: there is none who takes notice of me; no refuge remains to me; no one cares for my soul. Psalm 142:4

How can we be more engaged in the lives of others to prevent them from feeling alone and uncared for?

5/02/2017 11:44 am  #7

Optional Study Guide: Friday- Psalm 17

Monday: Psalm 17

Verse of the Day
As for me, I shall behold your face in righteousness; when I awake, I shall be satisfied with your likeness.  –  Psalm 17:15

Study Questions
Read the psalm.

In verse 3 David speaks of purposing not to sin with his mouth. In verse 1 he says his lips are free of deceit.
The word "purposed" gives the image of having a strong and firm objective.

Read James 3:10-11
From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so. Does a spring pour forth from the same opening both fresh and salt water?

Do you need to work on controlling your tongue? I do, I think many of us do?

Read Matthew 12:33-35 and answer the question of how can we better control our tongue?
“Either make the tree good and its fruit good, or make the tree bad and its fruit bad, for the tree is known by its fruit. You brood of vipers! How can you speak good, when you are evil? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. The good person out of his good treasure brings forth good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure brings forth evil.

What changes do you need to make in your life to help you better control your tongue?

In verse 4, what enabled David to keep away from the way of the violent?

Based on verse 4, what do you think kept David on God's paths?
I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. - Psalms 119:11

Discussion Question
James 3:5 says that the tongue is small, yet it boasts of great things and can set a great forest ablaze by its small fire. Name a time when either you or someone else set a fire by your tongue and what you learned from that.

Board footera