Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/14/2017 8:20 pm  #1

Week of May 14, 2017

Week of May 14
Week 4 Overview

I want to encourage you to persevere. We will see some harsh words this week as David, having been running and fearful for his life, increasingly despairs of his deliverance.

But, we will also see reasons for confidence in God and be reminded of God’s character.

However, the best reason to persevere this week is that we are ending this week with excerpts from John MacArthur on the Sermon on the Mount from the gospel of Luke.

Specifically, we will be reading about how Christians are called to respond to enemies and those who hurt us.

What is the balance between fighting back, speaking up and turning the other cheek and how are we to interpret Christ’s call for us to love our enemies?

Good stuff. I have only skimmed it and can’t wait to dig deeper in and share it with you ladies.

Last edited by TBG (5/14/2017 8:22 pm)

5/14/2017 8:20 pm  #2

Re: Week of May 14, 2017

Week of May 14
This Week’s Reading Assignment
The group discussion thread is under Bible Study » Psalms.
S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.
Optional Study Guide: Psalms Week 4 Study Guide

Monday
Reading: Psalm 6
Optional Study Guide: Monday
Verse of the Day: Psalm 6:9 
The LORD has heard my plea; the LORD accepts my prayer.
Discussion Question:
All my enemies shall be ashamed and greatly troubled; they shall turn back and be put to shame in a moment. -  Psalms 6:10
Luke 6:27-28 reads, “but to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.”
David was calling for justice. He was calling for the enemies of God’s work to be thwarted. In light of the four commands in Luke 6, how should we pray for our enemies? Write a prayer for someone who may be your enemy.

Tuesday
Reading: Psalm 26
Optional Study Guide: Tuesday
Verse of the Day: Psalm 26:11 
But as for me, I shall walk in my integrity; redeem me, and be gracious to me.
Discussion Question:
David verbally proclaims God’s thanksgiving and tells of God’s wondrous deeds. Do we do this? Do we verbally proclaim God’s thanksgiving? Do we tell others of His wondrous deeds? How can we incorporate this more into our lives?

Wednesday
Reading: Psalm 58
Optional Study Guide: Wednesday
Verse of the Day: Psalm 58:11 
Mankind will say, "Surely there is a reward for the righteous; surely there is a God who judges on earth."
Discussion Question:
We studied Monday how we should pray for our personal enemies. But should we ask God to stop and thwart the efforts of evil men? How do we balance our prayers for justice, protection of the innocent, and mercy?

Thursday
Reading: Psalm 64
Optional Study Guide: Thursday
Verse of the Day: Psalm 64:10
The righteous will rejoice in the LORD and take refuge in him; all the upright in heart will glory in him!
Discussion Question:
He will turn their own tongues against them and bring them to ruin; all who see them will shake their heads in scorn. – Psalms 64:8
This is a pattern we see in other parts of the Psalms and the scripture that people will be destroyed by their own sins and by the very evil they thought to perpetrate against others.
How do we sometimes see this in our society? How have we sometimes brought, not destruction since we are believers, but harm to ourselves because we were acting wrongly towards someone else?

Friday
Reading: Psalm 109
Optional Study Guide: Friday
Verse of the Day: Psalm 109:30-31 
With my mouth I will give great thanks to the LORD; I will praise him in the midst of the throng. For he stands at the right hand of the needy one, to save him from those who condemn his soul to death.
Discussion Question:
Is it right to receive God’s kindness when we have not extended kindness to others or have taken advantage of the weak?

Last edited by TBG (5/14/2017 8:52 pm)

5/14/2017 8:27 pm  #3

Monday: Psalm 6

Verse of the Day
The LORD has heard my plea; the LORD accepts my prayer. – Psalm 6:9

Study Questions
Read psalm 6.
David starts off so dejected and desperate. He is not seeing God act and begins to plead and beg God to act.
For what reason does David repeated ask God to act? (verse 4-5)

Even in his pain, David is focused on God’s glory and God’s work.
Read verses 8-9. List the 3 things David says God has done.

Has David seen evidence of this? Based on past Psalms and our knowledge of God’s character, why does David have such confidence?

In verse 10, what verb tense does David use?

Think about the fact that David used the present tense in stating that God hears and accepts his petition, but future tense in discussing the resolution.

Does this Psalm give you encouragement that you can pour out your anguish to God, that you can share your pain with God?

What is there that you have been holding in or holding onto that you need to lay bare before God right now?

SOAK any verse of your choosing

Discussion Question:
All my enemies shall be ashamed and greatly troubled; they shall turn back and be put to shame in a moment. -  Psalms 6:10

Luke 6:27-28 reads, “but to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.”

David was calling for justice. He was calling for the enemies of God’s work to be thwarted. In light of the four commands in Luke 6, how should we pray for our enemies? Write a prayer for someone who may be your enemy.

5/14/2017 8:31 pm  #4

Tuesday: Psalm 26

Verse of the Day
But as for me, I shall walk in my integrity; redeem me, and be gracious to me. – Psalm 26:11

Study Questions
Read Psalm 26.

In verse 2, the three words translated as prove, try and test in the ESV are closely related. It seems to me that the NKJV uses better word choices based on the Strong’s numbers.

The NKJV reads, “examine me, O Lord, and prove me; try my mind and my heart.”

The Hebrew word translated try can mean to smelt or to refine. So, verse 2 can read: examine me, prove (put to the proof, put to the test) me, refine my mind and heart.

How can trials lead to your examination, proof, and refinement?

In verse 3, in whose faithfulness is David walking? What is the significance of this? Does he have to rely on his level of faithfulness? If David is unfaithful, on whose faithfulness is he depending?

What is David keeping before his eyes to encourage him to walk in God’s faithfulness? How would this encourage him to walk in God’s faithfulness?

In verse 7, how does David proclaim thanksgiving? Of what does he tell?

In verse 8, David says that he loves the glorious presence of God (NLT). Do we yearn so much for God’s glorious presence, or do we prefer TV, Internet, movies? Do we prefer the glorious presence of God or do we let our mind wander into unwholesome things or self-seeking or selfish desires?

Discussion Question:
David verbally proclaims God’s thanksgiving and tells of God’s wondrous deeds. Do we do this? Do we verbally proclaim God’s thanksgiving? Do we tell others of His wondrous deeds? How can we incorporate this more into our lives?

5/14/2017 8:34 pm  #5

Wednesday: Psalm 58

Verse of the Day
Mankind will say, "Surely there is a reward for the righteous; surely there is a God who judges on earth."
 – Psalm 58:11

Study Questions

Background from Matthew Henry
It is the conjecture of some that Saul formed a process against David by course of law, upon which he was condemned unheard, and attainted as a traitor, by the great council, or supreme court of judicature, and then proclaimed an outlaw, whom any man might kill and no man might protect. The elders, to curry favor with Saul, passed this bill. It is supposed that David penned this psalm on the occasion.

This was a challenging Psalm.

According to Matthew Henry: In these verses we have, David’s prayers against his enemies, and all the enemies of God’s church and people; for it is as such that he looks upon them, so that he was actuated by a public spirit in praying against them, and not by any private revenge.

These verses seem harsh to us. But they do remind us that although God offers mercy and forgiveness, He does hate sin and will punish those who rebel against His gift of grace.

Discussion Question:
We studied Monday how we should pray for our personal enemies. But should we ask God to stop and thwart the efforts of evil men? How do we balance our prayers for justice, protection of the innocent, and mercy?

5/14/2017 8:38 pm  #6

Thursday: Psalm 64

Verse of the Day
The righteous will rejoice in the LORD and take refuge in him; all the upright in heart will glory in him! – Psalm 64:10

Study Questions
* Note: I usually use ESV or NKJV, but I found the NIV version of this psalm to be more clearly understood. So, I used NIV for these study questions.

What do verses 4 and 6 say that shows the confidence the evil men have in themselves and their deeds?

In verse 7, are they expecting to be punished?

In verse 8, what will bring them to ruin?

How does verse 9 tell us the people will feel after they see God’s judgment? What will they do?

What three things will the righteous do in response to God’s judgment according to verse 10?

Discussion Question:
He will turn their own tongues against them and bring them to ruin; all who see them will shake their heads in scorn. – Psalms 64:8

This is a pattern we see in other parts of the Psalms and the scripture that people will be destroyed by their own sins and by the very evil they thought to perpetrate against others.

How do we sometimes see this in our society? How have we sometimes brought, not destruction since we are believers, but harm to ourselves because we were acting wrongly towards someone else?

5/14/2017 8:46 pm  #7

Friday: Psalm 109

Verses of the Day
With my mouth I will give great thanks to the LORD; I will praise him in the midst of the throng. For he stands at the right hand of the needy one, to save him from those who condemn his soul to death. – Psalm 109:30-31

Study Questions
In verses 4-5, how does David respond to their wrong accusations?

That is a great way to respond. Is there someone who is hurting you? Take a moment to bring the situation to God in prayer.

We should find peace after we pray because we have confidence that God will be at work to fulfill all that is right and that the matter is in His hands.

Read verse 8. Now read Acts 1:15-20.
What is verse 8 foreshadowing?

According to verse 16, why is David asking for this judgment to come on those men?

In verse 21 why should God deal on David’s behalf? Why should God deliver David? What is the basis of our trust in God’s deliverance?

Discussion Question:
Is it right to receive God’s kindness when we have not extended kindness to others or have taken advantage of the weak?

Board footera