Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/29/2015 7:06 pm  #51

Re: Matthew Discussion

Next weeks reading and optional discussion questions are posted in the Weekly Reading Plan section.

3/30/2015 12:50 am  #52

Matthew  19

Scripture
The disciples were astounded. “Then who in the world can be saved?” they asked. Jesus looked at them intently and said, “Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But with God everything is possible.” (‭Matthew‬ ‭19‬:‭25-26‬ NLT)

Application:
It sees,s the older you get, the more things SEE impossible, but we have to remember keeping God first, all is possible and we have to have faith in that.  And nothing else.

3/30/2015 12:54 am  #53

I think we all struggle with this, especially if you're ambitious and driven.

TBG wrote:

Matthew 19 

Scripture 19:16-30
He was willing to do external acts of holiness but he was not willing to give his life to Jesus. He loved this world more and he was not willing to give up things in this world to serve God. What am not giving up that is preventing me from fully serving God? The things I desire. I am so focused on all these other things and on what I am not getting that I can’t fully serve God.

Last edited by itsjenniferrose (3/30/2015 12:55 am)

3/30/2015 1:08 am  #54

Matthew 20

Scriptures
“At five o’clock that afternoon he was in town again and saw some more people standing around. He asked them, ‘Why haven’t you been working today?’ “They replied, ‘Because no one hired us.’ “The landowner told them, ‘Then go out and join the others in my vineyard.’ “That evening he told the foreman to call the workers in and pay them, beginning with the last workers first.

When those hired first came to get their pay, they assumed they would receive more. But they, too, were paid a day’s wage.

‘Those people worked only one hour, and yet you’ve paid them just as much as you paid us who worked all day in the scorching heat.’ “He answered one of them, ‘Friend, I haven’t been unfair! Didn’t you agree to work all day for the usual wage? Take your money and go. I wanted to pay this last worker the same as you. Is it against the law for me to do what I want with my money? Should you be jealous because I am kind to others?’ “So those who are last now will be first then, and those who are first will be last.” (‭Matthew‬ ‭20‬:‭6-8, 10, 12-16‬ NLT)

But Jesus called them together and said, “You know that the rulers in this world lord it over their people, and officials flaunt their authority over those under them. But among you it will be different. Whoever wants to be a leader among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first among you must become your slave. For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve others and to give his life as a ransom for many.” (‭Matthew‬ ‭20‬:‭25-28‬ NLT)

Observation/application
These are amazing lessons on leadership. What I've learned here is of course life isn't fair, you must trust your leaders and serve. And the only way to the top is to serve. We cannot be discouraged when we feel we are a the bottom as there is honor in service and it doesn't stop once you're at the top.

A great scripture - So be content with who you are, and don’t put on airs. God’s strong hand is on you; he’ll promote you at the right time. Live carefree before God; he is most careful with you. (‭1 Peter‬ ‭5‬:‭6-7‬ MSG)

3/30/2015 7:03 am  #55

itsjenniferrose wrote:

I think we all struggle with this, especially if you're ambitious and driven.

TBG wrote:

Matthew 19 

Scripture 19:16-30
He was willing to do external acts of holiness but he was not willing to give his life to Jesus. He loved this world more and he was not willing to give up things in this world to serve God. What am not giving up that is preventing me from fully serving God? The things I desire. I am so focused on all these other things and on what I am not getting that I can’t fully serve God.

So true, this is very hard for me. There are always all these things that are my priority that I allow to consume my energy and focus and then the stress and anxiety from that negatively impacts my usefulness to God and my ability to do what God wants.

3/30/2015 7:06 am  #56

itsjenniferrose wrote:

Observation/application
These are amazing lessons on leadership. What I've learned here is of course life isn't fair, you must trust your leaders and serve. And the only way to the top is to serve. We cannot be discouraged when we feel we are a the bottom as there is honor in service and it doesn't stop once you're at the top.

I love that statement - the only way to the top is to serve and that there is honor in service. What a powerful statement.

Last edited by TBG (3/30/2015 7:06 am)

3/30/2015 7:08 am  #57

Matthew 21

Scripture 21:32
For John came to you in the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and the prostitutes believed him. And even when you saw it, you did not afterward change your minds and believe him.

Observation
The people who were living sinfully were convicted of their wrong and changed courses (repented - change one's mind and purpose) and served God. But, the people who outwardly appeared to do right, the Pharisees, ultimately had no heart or willingness to actually serve God.

See this throughout this chapter with the Pharisees. No matter what Jesus does, they cannot see that He is fulfilling the messianic prophecies and that He is the Messiah. It is as if they really did not believe the prophesies or were not really hoping in them or looking for them. So they just got offended that Jesus was acting with the authority of God, not being willing to accept that He was God.

Application
We need to make a decision not to give intellectual assent to the truth of scripture or to the truth of God’s existence and authority. We need to be willing to actually submit to and serve Him in doing what He calls us to do, not in doing religious activities.

There is a good 3 Minute Tops Devotional on this chapter.

Last edited by TBG (3/30/2015 8:05 am)

3/31/2015 9:16 pm  #58

Matthew 22:1-14

Observation
Many of the Israelites rejected God's invitation to the kingdom through Jesus, so eventually this would be offered to the Gentiles.

However, anyone who does not accept God's gift of a robe of righteousness and tries to come clothed in only his own righteousness will be rejected.

Application
There is no way to eternal life accept through being covered in the blood of Christ and His righteousness. Many people will say that they are believers or serve God but will be rejected because they did not really know God and did not really trust in His sacrifice and His holiness.

Another excellent, must listen to 3 minute devotional for this chapter.

4/01/2015 2:32 am  #59

Matthew 21

But Jesus was matter-of-fact: “Yes—and if you embrace this kingdom life and don’t doubt God, you’ll not only do minor feats like I did to the fig tree, but also triumph over huge obstacles. This mountain, for instance, you’ll tell, ‘Go jump in the lake,’ and it will jump. Absolutely everything, ranging from small to large, as you make it a part of your believing prayer, gets included as you lay hold of God.” (‭Matthew‬ ‭21‬:‭21-22‬ MSG)

This has always been one of my fave scriptures. He keeps reiterating in the book of Matthew that we must cultivate great faith. I've realized lately how not so faithful I am or as I used to be. and Reigniting that faithfulness through God to see in people and situations

4/01/2015 6:35 am  #60

Matthew 23

Scripture 23:12
Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

The humble will be the greatest in the kingdom of God not the ones in church who seek out honor and admiration and privilege.

Scripture 23:23
"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cumin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness. These you ought to have done, without neglecting the others.

Again the focus here is on religious activity, but not really caring about what is really important. We give to charities but do we really seek to live and seek to bring about justice, are we merciful and faithful?

Scripture 23:25-28
"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you clean the outside of the cup and the plate, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence.  You blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and the plate, that the outside also may be clean. "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs, which outwardly appear beautiful, but within are full of dead people's bones and all uncleanness. So you also outwardly appear righteous to others, but within you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness.

I wonder about the Church today in North America, because there seems to be so little fruit and life transformation. I wonder if this is the problem that outwardly we look “holy” but our hearts and minds and not pure, perhaps bad motives, selfishness, unforgiving, unmerciful, critical, in love with material possession and position, in love with the comforts of life, full of unending stream of immoral media. I don’t know. However, it is time to examine our hearts and our minds to see if we are not fully surrendered to God and if our hearts have been transformed.

Will Stoll added that the Pharisees were acting like they care about God and other people but not truly loving God and other people.
Do we truly love God or are we just acting like we love God? Do we truly care about other people, or are we just acting like we care about people?

Board footera